Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Psykmoe posted:

Every pop in my empire immediately stopped working as though they were being forcibly cyberized after the fact, which does make pops produce nothing, but I didn't expect the free, empire-wide conversion through Flesh is Weak to nuke my economy as well. I don't remember that happening last time I went the cyborg direction.

Playing as assimilators, a similar thing happens any time I genemod or robomod pops. All of them stop working for a few months for no apparent reason before abruptly hopping back in also for no apparent reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Guilliman posted:

Not my mod doing it.
This is my mod's resource spread:

Weird. I'm not using your mod, but my maps generally look like that. The only thing I sometimes see happen is the game deciding to put most or everything of one specific strategic resource in one specific part of the galaxy, so everyone not living there is getting hosed. (But that could be working as intended, to facilitate trade!)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Psykmoe posted:

the game doesn't actually default to Assimilation for new migrants, you have to manually decree that all new citizens go under the knife to get cyborg implants by adjusting Rights for the various species.

This part you can at least shortcut by adjusting default to assimilation and then resetting rights to default. Makes it drat near impossible to set everyone to assimilate if not cyborgs and then all cyborgs to good living standard though.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Libluini posted:

Weird. I'm not using your mod, but my maps generally look like that. The only thing I sometimes see happen is the game deciding to put most or everything of one specific strategic resource in one specific part of the galaxy, so everyone not living there is getting hosed. (But that could be working as intended, to facilitate trade!)

Yea I think there is something weird screwing over muenster. I tend to get galaxies that are similar to that screenshot, and I run no mods. I think in the very first 2.2.0 release I had some galaxies that were really sparse, but after 2.2.1 and before 2.2.0 I never had a huge derth of them.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

ulmont posted:

This part you can at least shortcut by adjusting default to assimilation and then resetting rights to default. Makes it drat near impossible to set everyone to assimilate if not cyborgs and then all cyborgs to good living standard though.

Actually while inspecting the defaults, for some reason all my cyborgs came out with their living standards set to Utopian Abundance which my economy wasn't quite ready for. Very puzzling. I had Social Welfare before enacting The Flesh is Weak.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So something needs to be done about automation. Super badly. Even if the current sector system worked perfectly(which it doesn't), having to manually transfer resources to a stupid number of sectors in the late game is soulkilling. The sector system worked fine when the player had control, but now that you end up with hordes of 1 planet sectors, it all turns to poo poo. I've been playing a few multiplayer games recently, where I actually play out the end game and good lord is it awful. It gets to the point where I start turning everything into tomb worlds because I just don't want to deal with more planets and sectors, even if it would be a big boost to my empire to just integrate them. Try playing a late game empire without having the ability to pause. It is real bad™.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

So something needs to be done about automation. Super badly. Even if the current sector system worked perfectly(which it doesn't), having to manually transfer resources to a stupid number of sectors in the late game is soulkilling. The sector system worked fine when the player had control, but now that you end up with hordes of 1 planet sectors, it all turns to poo poo. I've been playing a few multiplayer games recently, where I actually play out the end game and good lord is it awful. It gets to the point where I start turning everything into tomb worlds because I just don't want to deal with more planets and sectors, even if it would be a big boost to my empire to just integrate them. Try playing a late game empire without having the ability to pause. It is real bad™.

Agreed. I finished my 2.2.4 game today, small galaxy. Defeated a fallen empire and inter dimensional invaders. But, the AI was painful to deal with. Just to see how it did, I had sector AI take over toward the endgame. I even gave it 16 brand new freshly colonized L-cluster planets to develop. It was horrible. The AI did nothing useful for the old core planets, badly mismanaged the new planets (too much farming, too few jobs/housing, no upgrades), did not develop starbases, did not construct research platforms, and so on.

And don’t get me started on federation war AI. I agreed to go to war at a fed ally’s behalf. Laid waste to all enemy fleets and starbases. Gave my allies all the energy, minerals, alloys, etc. they could hold or use. THE WAR ENDED ONLY AFTER MAX EXHAUSTION because my ally never invaded his claims. wtf? How have federations gotten WORSE since 2.0?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Psykmoe posted:

Actually while inspecting the defaults, for some reason all my cyborgs came out with their living standards set to Utopian Abundance which my economy wasn't quite ready for. Very puzzling. I had Social Welfare before enacting The Flesh is Weak.

Yep, for whatever reason if you have citizen rights set to assimilation or awakening, it then sets the integrated pops to Utopian instead of Shared Burden.

I would think that burden has a higher weighting, but it might just be grabbing the first one in the list.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

Yea I think there is something weird screwing over muenster. I tend to get galaxies that are similar to that screenshot, and I run no mods. I think in the very first 2.2.0 release I had some galaxies that were really sparse, but after 2.2.1 and before 2.2.0 I never had a huge derth of them.
Thats odd though my luck is usually bad, so, yeah. I just recently cleaned up my old save games but if/when I start a new game and get another example of some Real Bad deposits I'll share. I'm always running unmodded (for now).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think the weight on technology for robots needs to be increased, considering how important that extra pop growth is. I just had a game where it just never showed up for me at all in the first fifty years, and my economy was incredibly weak as a result. No, I didn't have AI rights disabled.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fister Roboto posted:

I think the weight on technology for robots needs to be increased, considering how important that extra pop growth is. I just had a game where it just never showed up for me at all in the first fifty years, and my economy was incredibly weak as a result. No, I didn't have AI rights disabled.

My current game has been the craziest tech rush I've ever encountered. I hit my first society repeatable (leader life span) in the 2280s and saw (but did not take) the first repeatable physics tech about 2300. I had jump drives in 2299. It's now 2310 and the weakest fallen empire just dropped to Superior in tech. I'm completely outclassing every non-FE in the game at this point; I'm fielding about 80k in ships and only using half my naval capacity.

But even with that, I have been sitting on two ascenscion perks for fifty drat years. I waited on Synthetics for nearly 40 years before they finally popped around 2305. I got robots and at like 2225 and 2250, respectively. And I'm still waiting for Synthetic Personality Matrix, or whatever the prereq for synthetic ascension is called.

And also the pre-req tech for Arcology project has never appeared (anti-gravity engineering) despite me getting titans and citadels and poo poo. I ended up stealing one from the AI instead. I just turned my world prepped to be an arcology into a huge research planet instead.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

ConfusedUs posted:

My current game has been the craziest tech rush I've ever encountered. I hit my first society repeatable (leader life span) in the 2280s and saw (but did not take) the first repeatable physics tech about 2300. I had jump drives in 2299. It's now 2310 and the weakest fallen empire just dropped to Superior in tech. I'm completely outclassing every non-FE in the game at this point; I'm fielding about 80k in ships and only using half my naval capacity.

But even with that, I have been sitting on two ascenscion perks for fifty drat years. I waited on Synthetics for nearly 40 years before they finally popped around 2305. I got robots and at like 2225 and 2250, respectively. And I'm still waiting for Synthetic Personality Matrix, or whatever the prereq for synthetic ascension is called.

And also the pre-req tech for Arcology project has never appeared (anti-gravity engineering) despite me getting titans and citadels and poo poo. I ended up stealing one from the AI instead. I just turned my world prepped to be an arcology into a huge research planet instead.

Are you assigning leaders with weighted chances? Once you're looking at digging for tech that is something you should really be doing. Note that you also need 6 techs of the previous tier researched to unlock each tier. I'm actually unsure if this is across all techs or is branch specific.

Synthetic Ascension [color][level][needs]:
code:
Powered Exoskeletons [yellow][1]: Industry for 1.25
Robots [yellow][1][Exoskeletons]: Industry for 1.25. Materialist gives 2.0, but spiritualist is 0.5

Planetary Unification [green][1]: 0.75 if not pacifist.
Colonial Centralization [green][2][Planetary Unification]: New Worlds 1.25.

Droids [yellow][2][Robots, Colonial Centralization]: 2x materialist, 2x mechanist civic, 1.25 industry & lvl 2 scientist, 0.5 if spiritualist.
Synthetic Evolution:
code:
Galactic Administration [green][4][Colonial Centralization]: statecraft for 1.25

Administrative AI [blue][1]: computing for 1.25
Self-Evolving Logic [blue][2][Admin AI]: computing 1.25
Positronic AI [blue][4][Self Evolving Logic]: computing for 1.25

Synthetics [yellow][4][Droids, Galactic Admin, Positronic AI]: 4x flesh is weak perk, 2x materialist, 2x mechanist civic, 1.25 industry, 0.5 spiritualist, 0.2 if *no* industry|curator|manicial|spark of genius.
Synthetic Personality Matrix [yellow][4][Synthetics]: industry & scientist level 3 for 1.25
Arcology Project:
code:
*not* agrarian idyll

Weather Control Systems [yellow][2]: industry 1.25
Anti-Gravity Engineering [yellow][3][weather control systems]: industry 1.25
Of course, after I finished typing all this up and was digging around to make sure I had poo poo right, I found an excellent resource to use instead: https://turanar.github.io/stellaris-tech-tree/vanilla/#top

It breaks the tech tree down into pre-reqs, and clicking on any tech will show weight modifiers and pre-reqs. The only thing it doesn't do cleanly is pre-req techs from other branches.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ZypherIM posted:

Are you assigning leaders with weighted chances? Once you're looking at digging for tech that is something you should really be doing. Note that you also need 6 techs of the previous tier researched to unlock each tier. I'm actually unsure if this is across all techs or is branch specific.

Synthetic Ascension [color][level][needs]:
code:
Powered Exoskeletons [yellow][1]: Industry for 1.25
Robots [yellow][1][Exoskeletons]: Industry for 1.25. Materialist gives 2.0, but spiritualist is 0.5

Planetary Unification [green][1]: 0.75 if not pacifist.
Colonial Centralization [green][2][Planetary Unification]: New Worlds 1.25.

Droids [yellow][2][Robots, Colonial Centralization]: 2x materialist, 2x mechanist civic, 1.25 industry & lvl 2 scientist, 0.5 if spiritualist.
Synthetic Evolution:
code:
Galactic Administration [green][4][Colonial Centralization]: statecraft for 1.25

Administrative AI [blue][1]: computing for 1.25
Self-Evolving Logic [blue][2][Admin AI]: computing 1.25
Positronic AI [blue][4][Self Evolving Logic]: computing for 1.25

Synthetics [yellow][4][Droids, Galactic Admin, Positronic AI]: 4x flesh is weak perk, 2x materialist, 2x mechanist civic, 1.25 industry, 0.5 spiritualist, 0.2 if *no* industry|curator|manicial|spark of genius.
Synthetic Personality Matrix [yellow][4][Synthetics]: industry & scientist level 3 for 1.25
Arcology Project:
code:
*not* agrarian idyll

Weather Control Systems [yellow][2]: industry 1.25
Anti-Gravity Engineering [yellow][3][weather control systems]: industry 1.25
Of course, after I finished typing all this up and was digging around to make sure I had poo poo right, I found an excellent resource to use instead: https://turanar.github.io/stellaris-tech-tree/vanilla/#top

It breaks the tech tree down into pre-reqs, and clicking on any tech will show weight modifiers and pre-reqs. The only thing it doesn't do cleanly is pre-req techs from other branches.

I do try to make sure to pick up someone specialized in the area I want most of my stuff early on, but I (almost) never swap them around after that. I also try to pick up maniacal/spark of genius scientists for my second round so I can slot them in once the first wave dies off.

I definitely had a computer guy on physics and an industry guy on engineering. I think my society scientist was statecraft and genetics both (he had two, I could be wrong about one). Not to mention the huge bonuses for being materialist and pacifist

Swing State Victim
Nov 8, 2012
I'm admittedly not very good at this game, but if my current campaign is anything to go by, Driven Assimilators seem quite strong right now. I'm playing as militarist space communists with Shared Burdens on Commodore with the Glavius AI mod. My initial neighbors were two regular space rear end in a top hat empires and a large Devouring Swarm. After I caught the swarm off guard and took a few planets, I learned of the Assimilators on the other side, blocked off from the swarm by a couple of systems in another space rear end in a top hat empire. I met them around 2240, and they were already overwhelming with several hundred pops, I assume helped by getting an advanced start. Within ten years they had researched wormhole tech and completely eaten the fully recovered devouring swarm through a shared wormhole. They were never less than overwhelming in any category and by 2280-90 I think they had around 1300 pops, which was 4 times more than me.

Eventually the assimilators declared war on my rivals in the space rear end in a top hat bloc of the galaxy, who all had mutual defensive pacts. They were kept in check only due to me begrudgingly granting military access to all of them so they could try to pool their fleets against the Borg doomstacks, adopting a fully militarized economy behind a Maginot line of big Bastions and Fortress Worlds and eventually declaring from a different flank, AND the Khan awakening in 2290 on a third flank. I got a couple lucky engages with their fleets in my bastion systems, which let me eventually push to the black hole they had invaded the devouring swarm from. I didn't get the tech card for the wormhole for almost 20 years, which lead to me more or less sitting there fortifying the system and hoping they had enough distractions that they wouldn't send too much my way. In the meantime they managed to kill the Khan twice and eat about half of one the space rear end in a top hat empires. They also opened the L-gates, developed gateway tech, and built a colossus.

It's now 2318, we have been at war for over 30 years. I managed to liberate 8 outlying planets and one of their core worlds on the other side of the wormhole (fortified to hell and back, though without a planetary shield thank god). Despite this, they still have over 2200 pops and double my total fleet strength. I have barely managed to get them to 50% war exhaustion. I'm at 100 exhaustion, but because their fleet is so much larger than mine they don't seem to be enforcing white peace. The only reason I got this far is due to the AI not knowing how to focus a target, but the sheer economic and research output that assimilators are able to produce from having two pop growth queues is impressive.

Can't complain though, because it perfectly fits the RP narrative I was going for as my empire fills with refugees eager to fight the vile machines.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A lot of the problem with getting a tech you want isn't the weight of the tech you want, but the weights of every other available tech. Like, having an industry expert as your engineering scientist increases the weight of Robotic Workers by 1.25x (base of 135), but what is the weight of everything else? With the bare minimum for Robotic Workers to be available, the total weight of every other available tech is 1177.5 by my count (don't forget, all the other industry techs get the weight bonus too!). Having an industry expert only increases the relative weight of Robotic Workers by 2.8%. That's, uh, not great.

It's almost as if the random tech system is extremely bad!

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 18, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm annoyed that you have to alt tab out to check the wiki constantly to find out what techs and possible scientist trait are required to even get the tech as an option, unless you've memorized the entire tech tree. You can spend a long time just endlessly rolling new scientists until you manage to luck into the one you need so you can spend an even longer time researching until you happen to roll the tech you wanted. Also total lol at the improved science ascension perk which increases rare techs by +50%, that makes mega-engineering... what 0.015% instead of just 0.01?

I get the first ascension slot, and put something in it. I get the second ascension slot, and leave it open while waiting for the right tech to rng. I get the third ascension slot, and leave it open while waiting for the second one so I can pick one of the later options which requires spending two first. I usually do manage before the fourth one opens though.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I'm quite relaxed about the tech weighting thing, as SOTS basically taught me that if you don't get a tech you want just change your strategy and do something else.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Seriously though, what was the reason given for automating sector boundaries?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Krazyface posted:

Seriously though, what was the reason given for automating sector boundaries?

Originally the idea was to separate the galaxy into sectors based on areas of space separated by chokes. So you’d have a large cluster of stars be a sector. Instead it seems to be based on distances of jumps from planets at random.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

I'm quite relaxed about the tech weighting thing, as SOTS basically taught me that if you don't get a tech you want just change your strategy and do something else.
There's a few problems with the tech weighting thing that don't apply to SotS. In SotS the core techs (hull size, power, and C&C) are fixed. You can't not get them, and you can choose to research them whenever you like. Most of the non-core techs are mutually exclusive and have comparable options elsewhere, and you have control over choosing which of these alternatives to pursue next. Most non-core techs have comparable impact, the trick is choosing what will have the most impact right now. When you research a tech you know what it has, and has not, unlocked immediately (with some exceptions), and can adapt accordingly. And the only things gated behind techs is techs.

In Stellaris the core techs are random. It's entirely possible to go decades without rolling for destroyers. If you don't roll shield tech then it's much harder to go "I'll focus on armour tech" or "Better concentrate on alpha striking" because both those decisions are also locked behind random rolls you have little to no control over. Techs are wildly variable in utility, and many of them are the only thing that does what they do. Someone who rolls robots and growth boosts early is going to do a hell of a lot better than someone who spends the first few decades rolling blocker removals and building upgrades. And your ascensions are gated behind tech.

This isn't to say it can't work, but you need to design around it. The techs as they exist aren't suited to a purely random draw system and the rest of the game doesn't integrate well with it either. They need to either take a long hard look at everything it touches and how to make them work together or just rip the whole thing out and start over.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

Originally the idea was to separate the galaxy into sectors based on areas of space separated by chokes. So you’d have a large cluster of stars be a sector. Instead it seems to be based on distances of jumps from planets at random.
If you colonise a planet that's already in a sector it joins the sector. If you colonise a planet outside a sector it snags every star within 3 spaces of it as its sector. There are many reasons why this is less than ideal.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Since they increased the size that part don't bother me that much. What i want is to be able to just set a minimum "leave this amount of X in storage" value for resources and then let the sector AI just pull from the empire storages.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

This is in 2216, and the Brotherhood of Man jerks have already had a system break off into open rebellion. How do you even get that to happen so early?

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

pmchem posted:

And don’t get me started on federation war AI. I agreed to go to war at a fed ally’s behalf. Laid waste to all enemy fleets and starbases. Gave my allies all the energy, minerals, alloys, etc. they could hold or use. THE WAR ENDED ONLY AFTER MAX EXHAUSTION because my ally never invaded his claims. wtf? How have federations gotten WORSE since 2.0?

This has been the single most frustrating thing I've encountered in the game so far. Like, I'm just staring at the little blue pips just on the border just...not moving. I switched policies over to unlimited war simply so I can be the one in control of that poo poo and wars don't all last 20 years.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Dr_Gee posted:

This has been the single most frustrating thing I've encountered in the game so far. Like, I'm just staring at the little blue pips just on the border just...not moving. I switched policies over to unlimited war simply so I can be the one in control of that poo poo and wars don't all last 20 years.

Gotta echo this, joining an AI-led war is a terrible idea right now. I've started declining all war requests from the AI and then just turning around and proposing the same war myself if it's in line with my interests, because having a war drag on for an extra century and having no say and no ability to leave is annoying.

Adding in the option to leave a war on your own, at the cost of a trust hit decided by how the war is going (leaving a war when the enemy is largely defeated gets a tiny trust hit, leaving while things are going poorly for your allies gets a much larger one that sticks around a lot longer) would be nice.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Give all ships some basic invasion troops and add some invasion specific ship sections that carry more troops and the weird troops. Yes in practice this means troop ships by another name, but at least the AI will be able to use their freebie troops to invade while bombarding when their war algorithms poo poo the bed.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 18, 2019

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Synthetic ascension is almost always terrible to get since it's tier 4 and behind multiple rare techs. You should focus on getting your prereqs set if you are going for it (positronic AI in physics up to tier 4 engineering research) with the weightings as they are it's actually way easier to pull synthetics than it is to pull synthetic personality matrix since you get tons of multipliers. After you get synthetics you should just research cheap techs and all of those partial techs you've salvaged from AIs but not finished to churn your cards until it shows. The only multiplier for it is 1.25 for a level 4 industry scientist and it has a base weight of 35...

It should probably get the x4 multiplier from the flesh is weak like the synthetics tech itself but welp. Just accept that you pretty much are not going to get synth ascension until after 3300 unless you are very lucky.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dumb modding question because I am new to modding. I'm asking here first since so many of you dudes in this thread are chill and smart.

I'm making a minor mod to slightly increase the amount of orbital deposits found in systems. I have successfully tweaked some of the weightings but the next thing I want to do is force certain stellar bodies to always have a deposit.

The "00_null_deposit" file looks like this:
code:
#NULL DEPOSIT MUST EXIST
d_null_deposit = {
	is_null = yes

potential = {
		is_primary_star = no
		NOR = {			
			is_planet_class = pc_ringworld_habitable_damaged
			is_planet_class = pc_ringworld_tech_damaged
		}
	}

drop_weight = {
		weight = 100
	}
}
I want to add toxic planets and gas giants to the "potential" list. Do I need to add some sort of statement like the NOR=, or can I simply list each like this?:
code:
#NULL DEPOSIT MUST EXIST
d_null_deposit = {
	is_null = yes

potential = {
			is_primary_star = no
			is_pc_toxic = no
			is_pc_gas_giant = no
		NOR = {			
		}
	}

drop_weight = {
		weight = 100
	}
}
I know an "OR" statement wont work because then its saying "Any one of these three" but I'm not sure if there needs to be a different type of statement putting everything listed in a bracketed group.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What's the most fun machine empire to play? Rogue servers to run an empire of butler bots seems like it could be or is default more enjoyable?

Also null void beams are super strong. Energy weapon only fleets ahoy!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 46 minutes!
Lipstick Apathy
I really like playing servitors because it's easy to be swimming in unity and have all the trees unlocked by early-mid 2300s

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

code:
#NULL DEPOSIT MUST EXIST
d_null_deposit = {
	is_null = yes

potential = {
			is_primary_star = no
			is_pc_toxic = no
			is_pc_gas_giant = no
		NOR = {			
		}
	}

drop_weight = {
		weight = 100
	}
}

You almost got it. You want to toss is_planet_class = pc_toxic and pc_gas_giant into the NOR; all of them are to be false.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I want to add toxic planets and gas giants to the "potential" list. Do I need to add some sort of statement like the NOR=, or can I simply list each like this?:
code:
#NULL DEPOSIT MUST EXIST
d_null_deposit = {
	is_null = yes

potential = {
			is_primary_star = no
			is_pc_toxic = no
			is_pc_gas_giant = no
		NOR = {			
		}
	}

drop_weight = {
		weight = 100
	}
}
The null deposit is what makes planets show up with nothing. Do you mean you want to exclude gas giants and toxic worlds from the potential of nothing? If so you want this:

code:
potential = {
			is_primary_star = no
		NOR = {			
			is_planet_class = pc_toxic
			is_planet_class = pc_gas_giant
		}
Yours will also work but only if there's is_pc_toxic and is_pc_gas_giant flags and I don't know that there are.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LordMune posted:

You almost got it. You want to toss is_planet_class = pc_toxic and pc_gas_giant into the NOR; all of them are to be false.
Thanks LordMune :3:

Splicer posted:

The null deposit is what makes planets show up with nothing. Do you mean you want to exclude gas giants and toxic worlds from the potential of nothing? If so you want this:

code:
potential = {
			is_primary_star = no
		NOR = {			
			is_planet_class = pc_toxic
			is_planet_class = pc_gas_giant
		}
Yours will also work but only if there's is_pc_toxic and is_pc_gas_giant flags and I don't know that there are.
Yes, you got it - I want to exclude Toxic and Gas Giants from the potential of having nothing as a deposit. Thank you, too, Splicer :glomp:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Thanks LordMune :3:

Yes, you got it - I want to exclude Toxic and Gas Giants from the potential of having nothing as a deposit. Thank you, too, Splicer :glomp:
IIRC toxic worlds give decent chunks of social tech and both gas giants and toxic give rare gas so you might want to pad out their drops with some other stuff to prevent a galaxy full of farts and soft sciences.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Poil posted:

What's the most fun machine empire to play? Rogue servers to run an empire of butler bots seems like it could be or is default more enjoyable?

Rogue Servitors > Vanilla (It's just more interesting from a RP view plus you get absurd unity generation)

Assimilators > Determined Exterminators (Purely because of how absurdly snowbally having both pop channels along with instant integration is)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks. Going full necrons could be fun but not having any diplomacy at all, and everyone hating me even more just sounds frustrating.

Truga posted:

I really like playing servitors because it's easy to be swimming in unity and have all the trees unlocked by early-mid 2300s
You weren't kidding about the unity. Yikes.

I can pick Nihilistic Acquisition as servitors? That's hilarious. But it seems my capital has bugged out, every single day tick in game it reshuffles all the menial bots. Back and forth among all the various jobs for months on end.
Looks like it just stopped when I got an anomaly event. Wtf?

edit:
Nevermind it's back.

Poil fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 18, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

IIRC toxic worlds give decent chunks of social tech and both gas giants and toxic give rare gas so you might want to pad out their drops with some other stuff to prevent a galaxy full of farts and soft sciences.
Yeah I was worried about that so I added them to several other drop types because, the way I look at it, a Gas Giants often (as far as we know as humans on earth) have several dozen moons that are all very different, therefore a Gas Giant's output could be just about anything. I'm definitely going to do a lot of testing (starting a new game and exploring a bunch myself, or going into observer mode).

Something else odd that is going on is that I am trying to nix the 2 value mineral deposit. I've changed its weight to zero:
code:
d_minerals_2 = {
	resources = {
		category = orbital_mining_deposits
		produces = {
			minerals = 2
		}
	}
	station = shipclass_mining_station
	is_for_colonizeable = no

potential = {
		OR = {
			is_planet_class = pc_asteroid		
		}	
	}

drop_weight = {
		weight = 0		
	}
}
but they keep showing up. I've made other changes and they work. For example, I made 6 value mineral drops as common as 3 value and blammo, suddenly a whole bunch of the mineral drops I see are size 6. But I still get size 2s.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yeah I was worried about that so I added them to several other drop types because, the way I look at it, a Gas Giants often (as far as we know as humans on earth) have several dozen moons that are all very different, therefore a Gas Giant's output could be just about anything. I'm definitely going to do a lot of testing (starting a new game and exploring a bunch myself, or going into observer mode).

Something else odd that is going on is that I am trying to nix the 2 value mineral deposit. I've changed its weight to zero:
code:
d_minerals_2 = {
	resources = {
		category = orbital_mining_deposits
		produces = {
			minerals = 2
		}
	}
	station = shipclass_mining_station
	is_for_colonizeable = no

potential = {
		OR = {
			is_planet_class = pc_asteroid		
		}	
	}

drop_weight = {
		weight = 0		
	}
}
but they keep showing up. I've made other changes and they work. For example, I made 6 value mineral drops as common as 3 value and blammo, suddenly a whole bunch of the mineral drops I see are size 6. But I still get size 2s.
Are they two and a thing (like 2 minerals/2 energy) or just 2 minerals?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Are they two and a thing (like 2 minerals/2 energy) or just 2 minerals?
Just two minerals. Its really odd because in my most recent test game (after making the changes recommended above) they are showing up eeeeevvveerrrywhere:

edit: Having surveyed a few more systems....every single stellar object is getting a deposit now :xd:

edit2: If remove the lines I added to 00_null_deposit it fixes the every-object-gets-a-deposit problem :confused:
I have so much to learn...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Aethernet posted:

This would be fine if tech didn't block off critical features like robots. It's really hard to just change your strategy when the RNG screws you out of having like 2/5 of the population that you should have, considering how important population is. Like I said in my original post, robots just never showed up for me at all in the first fifty years and my economy was terrible as a result.

Splicer posted:

In Stellaris the core techs are random. It's entirely possible to go decades without rolling for destroyers. If you don't roll shield tech then it's much harder to go "I'll focus on armour tech" or "Better concentrate on alpha striking" because both those decisions are also locked behind random rolls you have little to no control over. Techs are wildly variable in utility, and many of them are the only thing that does what they do. Someone who rolls robots and growth boosts early is going to do a hell of a lot better than someone who spends the first few decades rolling blocker removals and building upgrades. And your ascensions are gated behind tech.

Yeah, the overall issue here is that you have almost no control over it. There are some things you can do to improve your chances of getting a tech you want, but they're marginal at best. 99% of the time you're going to be researching techs that you don't care about, just to get a chance of getting a tech that you need. It's unrealistic and just plain not fun.

I really, really hope that the tech system is next on the chopping block after tiles.