Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can only imagine they just had a warehouse full of the Blu drives they used on the OG 4, and the margins to change to a 4k just weren't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, UHD came out before the PS4 Pro did but Sony didn't swap the Blu-Ray drive out for a UHD one. But then the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X both have UHD drives :thunk:

I have an Xbox One S and if it has a UHD drive that's news to me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Congrats on the surprise UHD player :)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CPL593H posted:

About the level of savvy we's expect from an XboneS owner, yes

Wait my ps4 is just a dumb bludrive... drat :pwn:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 18, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

It sure does! I was considering getting one for a while because it's a fairly inexpensive UHD player, plus I could play a few Xbox exclusives on it too.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

About the level of savvy we's expect from an XboneS owner, yes

Wait my ps4 is just a dumb bludrive... drat :pwn:

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart...

It sure does! I was considering getting one for a while because it's a fairly inexpensive UHD player, plus I could play a few Xbox exclusives on it too.

My TV is 720p and I'm not impressed by the current UHD catalog so I guess it's irrelevant.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i'm normally an early adopter but i love my plasma TV and will give it up only after it dies so UHD is not at the top of my to-do list

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just realized I can finally get Predator because the UHD is from a new transfer and doesn't have the wax people.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

CPL593H posted:

My TV is 720p

Bruh.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
On a 720p TV everyone is a wax person.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Some people are poor.

Monday_ posted:

On a 720p TV everyone is a wax person.

I don't find that to be the case at least with what I have and even with this TV the difference between blu-ray and DVD is quite noticeable. There's also not a world of difference between 720p and 1080p if the TV is smaller than 50 inches and mine is 42.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 18, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

Some people are poor.

I don't find that to be the case at least with what I have and even with this TV the difference between blu-ray and DVD is quite noticeable.
I'm poor too so I have no room to talk, but you can get a 40-50 inch 4K TV for the same price as an Xbox One S nowadays :v:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm poor too so I have no room to talk, but you can get a 40-50 inch 4K TV for the same price as an Xbox One S nowadays :v:

I can't really afford that and I really don't care if the end result is that I can watch Deadpool 2 or some bullshit in Ultra High Def.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I don't find that to be the case at least with what I have and even with this TV the difference between blu-ray and DVD is quite noticeable. There's also not a world of difference between 720p and 1080p if the TV is smaller than 50 inches and mine is 42.

Yeah, I had a 720p 42" for many years and for that size the resolution is fine. In fact, there were blind tests back then (this would be around 2007) where people would prefer the 720 over full HD TVs, because stuff like black levels and contrast is much more important than resolution. There's a reason why the original 720p Pioneer Kuro won tons of awards.

I recently visited a friend who just purchased a 4K QLED TV, and I was not the least impressed. HDR just looks unnatural because the TV has to crank up the dynamic contrast, and the extra resolution was pointless at the distance we were sitting from the TV. I think my six year old 1080 plasma delivers are much nicer image.

PS. If you're a fan of Big Lebowski you should get the UHD of that one. It's a massive improvement over the lovely old BD - at any resolution.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

a few what now

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

a few what now

Gears of War and Halo

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm really impressed with the upscale capabilities of my Samsung UHD player. I popped in one of the Deep Space Nine dvds and it looked fantastic upscaled to 2160p, much better than I remember the Netflix stream looking.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

I can't really afford that and I really don't care if the end result is that I can watch Deadpool 2 or some bullshit in Ultra High Def.

That's fine for you but the thread is about physical media so most posters you'll talk to in here do care, at least somewhat.

It's true though that a huge part of it is your living room set up. If you're sitting all the way across the room from a 40-50 inch screen, yea a lot of these things being discussed aren't going to be nearly as noticeable. Not preferring HDR is weird to me though, I love those strong saturated colors.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

It's true though that a huge part of it is your living room set up. If you're sitting all the way across the room from a 40-50 inch screen, yea a lot of these things being discussed aren't going to be nearly as noticeable. Not preferring HDR is weird to me though, I love those strong saturated colors.

I have a 65" 4k TV these days, and the resolution jump between 1080 and 4k isn't that big of a deal in most instances. Where the UHDs shine is definitely the HDR, the presentation is just too damned good on it.

Now that I have a UHD, I have a few double dips that are on DVD, and I want to do some comparisons, but :effort: and it's time I could be using for something else.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

That's fine for you but the thread is about physical media so most posters you'll talk to in here do care, at least somewhat.

I think it’s pretty great for people with the money to be able to keep all their hardware up to date. Don’t bend “not enough money to justify” into some kind of touted preference.

Maybe I shouldn’t speak for someone else, I just know if my ten year old 1080p samsung finally dies like it’s threatening to do, I’m not going out and buying the replacement anytime soon, but really I swear I still like movies during that time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a 65" 4k TV these days, and the resolution jump between 1080 and 4k isn't that big of a deal in most instances. Where the UHDs shine is definitely the HDR, the presentation is just too damned good on it.

Now that I have a UHD, I have a few double dips that are on DVD, and I want to do some comparisons, but :effort: and it's time I could be using for something else.

The difference in resolution for me shows up most strongly with actor faces. The increased resolution really shows every nuance under any lighting conditions, whereas regular blu ray has a tendency to get pretty murky the lower the lighting conditions are. I'd love to see a Last of the Mohicans UHD for that reason, because the existing blu ray doesn't quite handle the nighttime scenes the way I'd like and like 50% of the movie takes place at night with all kinds of interesting shadows playing off the actors faces.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Basebf555 posted:

Not preferring HDR is weird to me though, I love those strong saturated colors.
I have a cheapo Costco Samsung 4k and I usually hate the HDR because I jump down a rabbit hole of comparing STG and BTS and then making sure the dumb set didn't activate the DNR+240hz interpolation and arreggggggghhhhhh.

But i don't have a UHD player yet so...

We have a pair of the LG B8 OLEDs at work and I just want to sit and twiddle with them and run quality settings like nobody's business.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

The point I was making is that the selection of movies on UHD isn't very impressive. If you'd like to buy me a nicer TV I'll gladly accept.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

CPL593H posted:

The point I was making is that the selection of movies on UHD isn't very impressive. If you'd like to buy me a nicer TV I'll gladly accept.

If the cost/benefit analysis isn't what you want it to be right now then I totally get that, but at this point several years into the UHD thing there's a lot more available than just the recent big budget blockbusters like Deadpool.

I've bought a few of those, like Rampage and Infinity War, but for the most part my UHD shelf is the older stuff that was shot on film like Blade Runner, Halloween, 2001, Predator, Die Hard, Mission Impossible, First Blood, stuff like that. That's where the format really shines. And we're getting maybe 1 or 2 releases like that per month, so it's starting to add up to a pretty decent selection. It's not what it was 2 years ago, or even 12 months ago.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I have a 42" 720p HP plasma that my groomsmen gave to me as a wedding gift.

I got married in 2007.

drat thing is finally carking it, though; there's snow whenever dark color tones show up on the screen.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Steen71 posted:

I recently visited a friend who just purchased a 4K QLED TV, and I was not the least impressed. HDR just looks unnatural because the TV has to crank up the dynamic contrast, and the extra resolution was pointless at the distance we were sitting from the TV.
I think HDR is highly dependent on the TV and settings. I have one of the C8 OLEDs and apparently a criticism of them is that the HDR effect is a bit subdued. I’ve never seen another 4K TV outside of a showroom so I have nothing to compare it to. In my experience the HDR is noticeable, but mainly because it’s obvious that it’s something that Blu-Ray couldn’t pull off. It’s more like “wow that fire back there looks great” or “those neon signs really pop.” It’s by far the biggest plus for UHD BR unlike the resolution bump that’s only occasionally noticeable.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
RIP, Blu-Ray

https://www.techradar.com/news/samsung-confirms-its-stopping-blu-ray-player-production

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oh poo poo, lets discuss this for a few pages. What does it mean for UHD as a format?!?!?!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

gently caress those traitors

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Personally I'd like to see a release calendar for a bunch of 80 year old movies nobody's ever heard of.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I don't understand how TV screen sizes are rising, with every model except for bargain basement crap now 4K HDR, and yet the market is moving to low bitrate streaming for all content. It honestly boggles my mind.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 18, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Baronash posted:

I don't understand TV screen sizes are rising, with every model except for bargain basement crap now 4K HDR, and yet the market is moving to low bitrate streaming for all content. It honestly boggles my mind.

Not really, most people are very complacent, and I think a lot of viewing is just background noise, you don't need 4k HDR for that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think it's just economy of scale starting to be good for 4k/large screens.

Its probably stupid expensive to get a crt TV made nowadays and we have cheap Chinese 4k 60 inch screens for $400 in some places.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Baronash posted:

I don't understand how TV screen sizes are rising, with every model except for bargain basement crap now 4K HDR, and yet the market is moving to low bitrate streaming for all content. It honestly boggles my mind.

Most people don't really have a reason to give a poo poo about 4K or HDR. They do have reasons to care about convenience.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Most people don't care how they get their bazingas, just as long as they're there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The truth is that really none of these upgrades have been considered necessary by the majority of people until they became so standard that people were forced to get used to them. Then, once they're used to it, it's hard to go back. I can't tell you how many people claimed that HD was nice but not really necessary, today most of those same people would scoff at standard definition because it's now what they're eyes expect.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Iron Crowned posted:

Most people don't care how they get their bazingas, just as long as they're there.

Again, it's Bazin, and I'm not going to be happy until the entire French new Wave is on Blu Ray.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I don't know if people mentioned it in the thread back when they were first posted about and I missed it, but those Mill Creek blu-rays with the VHS covers... the VHS art is literally a slipcover over their original release. They didn't even change the insert on the case. poo poo, from the pictures I was expecting it to be like those UK-only releases that actually had special boxes with the outer cover and an inner box that looked like the VHS tape.

Should've done my research I guess, oh well. Cool slipcover's better than no slipcover? :shrug:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

If the cost/benefit analysis isn't what you want it to be right now then I totally get that, but at this point several years into the UHD thing there's a lot more available than just the recent big budget blockbusters like Deadpool.

I've bought a few of those, like Rampage and Infinity War, but for the most part my UHD shelf is the older stuff that was shot on film like Blade Runner, Halloween, 2001, Predator, Die Hard, Mission Impossible, First Blood, stuff like that. That's where the format really shines. And we're getting maybe 1 or 2 releases like that per month, so it's starting to add up to a pretty decent selection. It's not what it was 2 years ago, or even 12 months ago.

I mean that's one facet of this but I straight up said I can't afford a new tv so I don't know what's had to understand here. But also the reoccurring theme in this very thread about UHD is whether or not it's so much better as to even be worth bothering and that's when people aren't talking about how low the sales are and if it's going to even continue.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm pretty sure most broadcast tv isn't even in 1080p anyway. There's still no excuse for watching the Big Bang Theory, but that's a whole other problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Baronash posted:

The same reason we went from 1411kbps CDs to 128kbps mp3s and everyone thought it was better. Convenience. If video trends the same as audio then in it'll be about 15-20 years before we have streaming options that are equal or better than Blu Ray or UHD quality.