Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I think the implementation of the conference system may in fact be the worst administered thing the AFL has ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Second worst.

Carte blanche for north was the worst.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just looked at the ladder, and every single team in one of the conferences has at least two wins, whereas not one single team in the other conference does. Conferences are a joke. I hope the ladder stays more or less as is, highlight what a joke conferences are, and they get removed.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Adelaide are 2-1 with 141% and they're going to miss out on the finals by 2 places because of this trash fire conference system

If you stack the two conferences together the only reason it isn't just the order on the screen is because Carlton at the top of B have 0.2% better percentage than the Bulldogs at the bottom of A

It's still in order, Carlton have one win while the Bulldogs have two.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think the implementation of the conference system may in fact be the worst administered thing the AFL has ever done

hang on now, you havent seen the latest version of aflx yet

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

snaeksikn posted:

hang on now, you havent seen the latest version of aflx yet

But the AFLW actually means something to some people.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nutsngum posted:

But the AFLW actually means something to some people.

Hey now, that extra $50k, invested wisely, could be the difference that lets Patrick Dangerfield fund his run as the LNP candidate for Corangamite 5 years after he's retired.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

NTRabbit posted:

Hey now, that extra $50k, invested wisely, could be the difference that lets Patrick Dangerfield fund his run as the LNP candidate for Corangamite 5 years after he's retired.

He does have that Nationals vibe about him

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Can’t wait for him to shut down the old Ford plant again because gently caress renewables

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

I just looked at the ladder, and every single team in one of the conferences has at least two wins, whereas not one single team in the other conference does. Conferences are a joke. I hope the ladder stays more or less as is, highlight what a joke conferences are, and they get removed.

Unfortunately, with 14 teams next year and no plans to extend the season, conferences are the only thing that can "work".

The problem isn't really conferences as such this year, the problem is that they divided the conferences in literally the worst way possible. And it's not like this was unforseeable. One conference literally contains the last (only) two premiers, a team that just missed out on GF appearances by percentage in both seasons, the new super team that everyone knew was going to be dominant, and Fremantle. Who could have predicted they'd be so dominant, huh? And hey, it turns out Fremantle are great this year.

Meanwhile the other conference contains Carlton who barely won a match last season, Collingwood who have been terrible since AFLW started (oh, and both of them have been raided by North), Geelong who are basically trying to start from scratch by drafting kids, GWS who haven't exactly set the world on fire, and Brisbane. Only one of those teams has been any good the past two seasons, Brisbane, and this year they seem to be off the pace.

Short of maybe swapping Brisbane and Freo, you couldn't have picked a more uneven conference division based on what we knew before the season started. And it turns out that one "good" choice made things even worse.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 18, 2019

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Incidentally, have there been any details released about next year's plans for the fixture?

If they don't want to extend the season, the obvious way to do things is to have two conferences of 7, and everyone plays each other once. The "fair" thing is to have one bye in each conference each week, so in the end each team plays the other six teams once, but I doubt the AFL wants this. So will it be that each team will get "paired up" with exactly one team from the other conference and play against them one round? In a seven week season, the team that gets paired up with, say, Collingwood is going to have a massive advantage over the team that gets paired up with North Melbourne.

It's not like they can divide 14 teams evenly into three or four conferences. I don't really see an alternative to this. Either the teams only play six matches next year instead of seven and we have two byes a week, or we end up with another horribly inequitable situation where finals positions are massively affected by the fixture.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Do it World Cup Draw style. The 14 teams are divvied in to 4/4/3/3 pools with the two '4' pools with the premiers and runners up in them separately.
Each pools teams play eachother once along with their other 'conference pairing' (so 4 & 3 make up a conference, two conferences in the league) for 7 matches. (You could mix up the cross conference/divisional play to randomise the schedule)
Tops of each pool goes into finals brackets to grand final based on percentage.

Shakes it up each year and makes it work until they get 16 so they can just go to a standard ladder system.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I think that would still necessitate two byes a week, right?

Even when we have 16 teams, the ladder system won't work unless we have enough rounds. It's one thing that the AFL season has uneven numbers of matches (ie you play some teams twice and other teams once) but at least in that system you do play each team once. I doubt the AFL is going to have a 15 week AFLW season.

Frankly, I'm more worried that the AFL is going to cut the comp down to a four week Swiss system tournament once we get to 16 teams.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 18, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
New ruck for the swans

https://twitter.com/sydneyswans/status/1097312842879881218

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
How is Coco a unit as a 55~ yo talk show host

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

hiddenmovement posted:

How is Coco a unit as a 55~ yo talk show host

be a celebrity in the US with celebrity trainers and doctors

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Apparently the Hawks new training facility at Dingley is going to cost $135m. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-18/hawks-set-to-unveil-grand-plan-for-new-dingley-fortress

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Periphery posted:

Apparently the Hawks new training facility at Dingley is going to cost $135m. http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-18/hawks-set-to-unveil-grand-plan-for-new-dingley-fortress

Running a double loyalty points campaign for their pokies ought to make short work of that

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Fitting it is being built ontop of a landfill site.

A few suspensions lined up for AFLW. Two game suspension as an early plea is a big deal. more than a quarter of the season.
https://twitter.com/_sjblack/status/1097377363073982464

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Was expecting that for Scheer

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Good to see Michael Christian is just as off his coked up loving mind in the women’s season as the mens

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Periphery posted:

Dingley will be the Hawks "seaford move" but with more horrid odours and at 10 times the price.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Nutsngum posted:

Dingley will be the Hawks "seaford move" but with more horrid odours and at 10 times the price.

Hopefully the land subsides and puts a bunch of lumps and hollows in their ground, and some big cracks through their shiny new buildings

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Hopefully the land subsides and swallows the club whole

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

They should have built it further south next to the treatment plant to keep the poo and wee theme going

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

Hopefully the land subsides and puts a bunch of lumps and hollows in their ground, and some big cracks through their shiny new buildings

Im banking more on a methane buildup and a colossal explosion lighting up the night sky.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Was expecting that for Scheer

I get the penalty for sling tackles since they can be dangerous, but drat, there's always such a fine line between a textbook tackle and one that just goes a bit too far :( The Crows will miss Scheer bigtime next week.

Somehow I don't even remember the Tayla Harris incident with Randall. What happened there?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

I get the penalty for sling tackles since they can be dangerous, but drat, there's always such a fine line between a textbook tackle and one that just goes a bit too far :( The Crows will miss Scheer bigtime next week.

Somehow I don't even remember the Tayla Harris incident with Randall. What happened there?

Having made the exact same mistake, I can confirm for you that Tayla Harris remains a Carlton player, and hit Giants player Pepa Randall

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Having made the exact same mistake, I can confirm for you that Tayla Harris remains a Carlton player, and hit Giants player Pepa Randall

Haha, go figure. I was thinking to myself, I don't even remember her getting a touch, or even being in the match at all!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

Haha, go figure. I was thinking to myself, I don't even remember her getting a touch, or even being in the match at all!

She's so deep in Chelsea's pocket she goes to all our games, not just the Carlton ones

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

cmndstab posted:

She played the woman, not the ball is the long and short of it.
She ran past the ball to apply a bump.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-19/new-rules-will-mean-more-hammerings-says-scott

Kind of interesting and I was thinking similar things last night with the new kick in rules. Good teams are going to be able to clear that ball from the backline a LOT easier I think which is going to to make kicking behinds a real risk now.
I really hope it doesnt result in more pastings of bottom teams, its just not fun for anyone.

Honestly I dont think the AFL has really considered the outcomes of these rule changes thoroughly at all.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Here's a shock, Livingstone is defending the conferences in the most condescending way possible.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Tayla Harris gets off scot free, Tegan Cunningham will probably still miss over a quarter of the season :thumbsup:

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 19, 2019

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

https://twitter.com/triplemfooty/status/1097669855413706752

:thunk:

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Champion Data are smoking mega drugs

Putting out stuff like that only makes them look like a joke. You can spin the numbers how you want but if the end result looks like that, then it's pretty obvious you need to change your algorithms

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Solemn Sloth posted:

Tayla Harris gets off scot free, Tegan Cunningham will probably still miss over a quarter of the season :thumbsup:

Well she was reprimanded, so not scot free as she now has 'demerit points'.

I think it was a fair bump given the circumstance. Harris crouched down into the bump to avoid high contact and they'd have had front of collision if she didn't decide to bump. Harris also helped Randall up off the ground right after and made sure she was okay before the free kick against was taken. Randall also got up holding her shoulder, not her head.

Was it the correct decision? Who knows with Micheal Christen.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

Champion Data are smoking mega drugs

Putting out stuff like that only makes them look like a joke. You can spin the numbers how you want but if the end result looks like that, then it's pretty obvious you need to change your algorithms

I dunno, if you accept that it’s purely looking at raw stats and not stuff like coaching, culture and so on it seems ok.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I dunno, if you accept that it’s purely looking at raw stats and not stuff like coaching, culture and so on it seems ok.

A lot of it seems pretty far off being reasonable to me

Fremantle have the 2nd worst list, Carlton are 1 spot better.

Brisbane are the 10th best team, and North are the 8th.

The reigning premiers are the 12th best list in the league.

There's not really any stats based arguments I can see for any of those occurring.

E: Richmond had 8 players in the 40 man AA squad but are worse than Essendon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

snaeksikn posted:

A lot of it seems pretty far off being reasonable to me

Fremantle have the 2nd worst list, Carlton are 1 spot better.

Brisbane are the 10th best team, and North are the 8th.

The reigning premiers are the 12th best list in the league.

There's not really any stats based arguments I can see for any of those occurring.

E: Richmond had 8 players in the 40 man AA squad but are worse than Essendon

But that is looking at the performance of the team as a whole rather than the accumulated stats of each player. All the useless stats like pointless sideways kicks and so on are being picked up as well as stats that actually win games. Their analysis is fine, interpreting it to mean best performed team is probably not justified (although the AFL will probably be happy because there's bound to be a bunch of nuffies on facebook and big footy up in arms that their list is not ranked higher)