Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
This game reinforced the yearning for deep sea mining that the Willard Price books started in my youth. Materials science is a cruel mistress :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So the map mod on the nexus is pretty crazy. I wanted a map of some form but not one that would throw game info at me, and this thing can be customized all the way down. I turned off all the icons so it just shows a topographical scan of the places I’ve been. Keeps it from feeling like more another tool alongside beacons, and feels okay especially since the PDA hints it can scan your surroundings anyway like the jellyshroom cave notice.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 18, 2019

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Is this thread for Below Zero too, and can anyone confirm if they've fixed the popin? The first game was lovely but popin really dragged things down - it'll be a good barometer for how this one turns out if they've actually fixed that

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line
Just finished this yesterday. I ended up playing it obsessively over the past couple weeks. I wanted to be Jacques Cousteau when I was a kid and this totally scratched that itch. Generally didn't run into any bugs until right at the end I fell through the floor when heading back to my cyclops after getting all the ingredients for the hatching enzymes. Stuck in the wall staring at the emperor leviathan. Ended up needing to load my game and find those plants again. My little girls would sit on my lap as I played, and I wish my eldest knew how to read so she could play it herself (she's five, she's working on it). It was great to explore the oceans together. My three year old always wanted me to ram my sub into the reefbacks. It doesn't do anything, but she would laugh and laugh. Seriously, it was great as some family time.

I think I'll wait a bit on Below Zero, let them get the game close to finished before I dive in, but I'm excited there's going to be more. Makes me wish there was a way to randomize the map, but I'm not surprised they didn't. That's pretty drat difficult to pull off and have all those caves work right.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Obliterati posted:

Is this thread for Below Zero too, and can anyone confirm if they've fixed the popin? The first game was lovely but popin really dragged things down - it'll be a good barometer for how this one turns out if they've actually fixed that

They haven't really changed engines or anything so it probably won't be fixed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

WarpedNaba posted:

This game reinforced the yearning for deep sea mining that the Willard Price books started in my youth. Materials science is a cruel mistress :(

I wanted to live in Undersea City.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Once you get a compass and a decent sense of direction it's best to give every cardinal point on the compass a good searching, there's at least one thing in every direction that's worth finding, and Aurora wrecks are spread pretty far across the map. The further out ones usually have more of the lategame stuff, especially in deep and dangerous places.

Generally even the most ill-tempered wildlife can be survived as long as you don't mind leaving a yellow trail in the water, and I don't mean like the Peepers do.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

jeeves posted:

They haven't really changed engines or anything so it probably won't be fixed.

That's too bad. Pop-in sort of ruined the first game for me; I found it totally immersion-breaking.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I wanted to live in Undersea City.

Okay I'm curious. Which books had the under sea stuff?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Heffer posted:

Okay I'm curious. Which books had the under sea stuff?

Uh, Underwater Adventure was shallow reef diving, Diving Adventure was the Undersea City.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh my god, this seagull finale. He's approaching the containment facility in his cyclops(named the PRIME SUB heh, and the obvious happens.

you should watch the next few minutes of this, I was literally clapping at the SURPRISE that happened, it couldn't have been more perfect

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
alright, I've finished Seagull's Subnautica run, it was fantastic for the most part when he wasn't cowering in fear of literally everything(especially the sound of reapers) instead of just charging in. The finale where he tossed the newly-hatched lava lizard into the bioreactor and almost immediately, despite having a relatively bug-free subnautica experience outside of a single CTD, began getting crippling bugs such as accidentally petting his cuddlefish through the wall of his cyclops which clipped him through it and put him on the sea floor but walking around as if on land, walking into the neptune rocket and it suddenly going at a 45 degree angle for some reason, and climbing onto the neptune landing pad but stuttering around and taking fall damage while walking, the chat was constant "VENGEANCE OF THE LAVA LIZARD" it was amazing. Subnautica is real good, you guys.

If there are any other great blind runs people know of, by all means post'em, this was entertaining as hell.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sacriel's playthrough was pretty good. He has a self-professed fear of deep water so if you want to watch someone constantly verge of a nervous breakdown freak out every time a fish looks at them crosseyed then you might enjoy it.

I've posted this clip before, but it's great so here it is again.

https://twitter.com/Sacriel42/status/956567766735249409

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Captain Invictus posted:

alright, I've finished Seagull's Subnautica run, it was fantastic for the most part when he wasn't cowering in fear of literally everything(especially the sound of reapers) instead of just charging in. The finale where he tossed the newly-hatched lava lizard into the bioreactor and almost immediately, despite having a relatively bug-free subnautica experience outside of a single CTD, began getting crippling bugs such as accidentally petting his cuddlefish through the wall of his cyclops which clipped him through it and put him on the sea floor but walking around as if on land, walking into the neptune rocket and it suddenly going at a 45 degree angle for some reason, and climbing onto the neptune landing pad but stuttering around and taking fall damage while walking, the chat was constant "VENGEANCE OF THE LAVA LIZARD" it was amazing. Subnautica is real good, you guys.

If there are any other great blind runs people know of, by all means post'em, this was entertaining as hell.

The one from Neebs Gaming is really funny and I'm already looking forward to how they're going to do Below Zero. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Just got out of the Aurora. Installed the MKI Depth for my Seamoth that I found on the ship. Giant behemoth of a thing immediately came up out of nowhere and destroyed it. I could feel my heart break.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

That one's easy to make, at least--just 10 titanium and 4 quartz (plus all the crap you need for a moonpool and vehicle upgrade console).

Losing the free Cyclops efficiency mod is what would really suck.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Really Pants posted:

That one's easy to make, at least--just 10 titanium and 4 quartz (plus all the crap you need for a moonpool and vehicle upgrade console).

Losing the free Cyclops efficiency mod is what would really suck.

Didn’t know I could make them. Just bought this game a week ago. I only found a Cyclops part yesterday. Still figuring it all out.

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3

virinvictus posted:

Just got out of the Aurora. Installed the MKI Depth for my Seamoth that I found on the ship. Giant behemoth of a thing immediately came up out of nowhere and destroyed it. I could feel my heart break.

If it makes you feel any better, I ended up having to build three seamoths during my play through. The first one ended up stuck deep inside the cave wall geometry, the second I got too enthusiastic and it ended up a good distance up a beach and the third just got blown up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Allegedly Allergic posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I ended up having to build three seamoths during my play through. The first one ended up stuck deep inside the cave wall geometry, the second I got too enthusiastic and it ended up a good distance up a beach and the third just got blown up.

You really should name your next one 'Sunday Driver'.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Really Pants posted:

Where are some really good base locations?

I always like to set up over one of the jellyshroom cave entrances. I'm not sure which one is best if any but they're all right next door to four or five different biomes, and not too far from the safe shallows geyser if you need a little extra power. I call it Jelly Shroom Junction. :kiddo:

There's this little bit on the northern edge of the Koosh zone; the boundary with the mountain biome forms a sheer cliff that juts out a little bit and also drops right into a Lost River entrance. All the spooky coolness of building a base over the abyss, but with a convenient location.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I don't remember if they ever changed this in EA, but do the flora and fauna respawn over time? Or do you run out of it after a while and need to move on to another area?

It used to be the latter, but I also remember there being lots of complaints about it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Everything seems to respawn, even those titanium chunks the sharky things play with. They never used to.

I just 'finished' my game though I havent built the final items yet.
Though I had to do some cheating at the end with those warp gates. I play on a laptop thats not brand new so the gates were really loving with me. Like dropping me through the world, and then having to reload which takes over 5 mins to do. And then it would just do it again.
I'll probably just leave it as it is and just build bases in all the biomes. Maybe even one on the 2nd island.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I thought saying goodbye to the Cuddlefish was going to be the hardest part about leaving but then my Cyclops had to go and tell me I was the best captain ever the last time I entered it :qq:.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Skippy McPants posted:

Sacriel's playthrough was pretty good. He has a self-professed fear of deep water so if you want to watch someone constantly verge of a nervous breakdown freak out every time a fish looks at them crosseyed then you might enjoy it.

I've posted this clip before, but it's great so here it is again.

https://twitter.com/Sacriel42/status/956567766735249409

aha, I've seen that one in clip compilations before. good poo poo. I popped the first video on in the background and there's a real good moment as he's getting the hang of things right here, the timing of the crashfish is absolutely perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANY65yVhS5U&hd=1&t=3429s

edit: I absolutely loving love that his first encounter with a Reefback up close, he scans it, skims the bio, and then obliviously Mr. Magoo's his way around it while three Tiger Plants are constantly shooting at him and he dodges every single needle without even realizing he's being shot at in the first place. Perfection. The only time he even notices it is when a sound startles him and he turns around to see needles flying off through the water and gets closer to investigate.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 21, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
thanks for the Sacriel LP suggestion, it's good fun for background noise most of the time.

And this moment, you literally could not have timed it better, holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq5R3coewzE&hd=1&t=1073s

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

aha, I've seen that one in clip compilations before.

Was it this one out of curiosity? Because this is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGn1CQaflEU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Been avoiding this thread because I was playing the game cold. Finished it last night but I wound up cheating through the last 10%

The transition from fast nimble and free movement while diving or in the Seamoth to unbearably slow and clunky movement with the Cyclops and Prawn along with some really padded back and forth in the last two areas killed my enjoyment.

I'm also apparently a loving moron because I could not find the stupid power plant. I must have drove around down there for an hour.

The voiceover pointing me to it triggered as I approached the entrance :downs:

The extra tablet locked door was where I said nope and hit the console.

Then that was followed up with the pointless busywork fetch quest at the end.

That said otherwise I loved it, wonderful game, and pants shittingly terrifying until later in the game when tedium overcame fear and wonder.

Curious to see what they do with the narrative in frosty Nautica, and if they improve the overall pacing.

I think if the end of the game had been structured a bit differently or if the Cyclops was faster and the Prawn was WAY more nimble I'd have come out the other side praising this game to the heavens.

As is I still think it's really good but probably has anywhere from five to fifteen hours of needless back and forth and inventory fiddling that should have been cut.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'll hear no criticism of my big beefy boy. The Cyclops is amazing.

What isn't amazing, is the extended fetch quest that comprises the last 10% of the game. It's a pain in the rear end no matter what vehicles you're using. It can be done semi-quickly if you've got a good grasp of the fast travel portals, but even then it's pretty unthrilling after the of the big Sea Emperor reveal.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

victrix posted:

I think if the end of the game had been structured a bit differently or if the Cyclops was faster and the Prawn was WAY more nimble I'd have come out the other side praising this game to the heavens.

Sounds like somebody didn't install some upgrades

Especially the prawn, with jump jets and the grappling hook it's very quick and nimble.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GotLag posted:

Sounds like somebody didn't install some upgrades

Especially the prawn, with jump jets and the grappling hook it's very quick and nimble.

Yeah I wonder what percentage of players actually figured out pretty much the entire lost river is prime for spider prawn swinging territory

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

victrix posted:

Been avoiding this thread because I was playing the game cold. Finished it last night but I wound up cheating through the last 10%

The transition from fast nimble and free movement while diving or in the Seamoth to unbearably slow and clunky movement with the Cyclops and Prawn along with some really padded back and forth in the last two areas killed my enjoyment.

I'm also apparently a loving moron because I could not find the stupid power plant. I must have drove around down there for an hour.

The voiceover pointing me to it triggered as I approached the entrance :downs:

The extra tablet locked door was where I said nope and hit the console.

Then that was followed up with the pointless busywork fetch quest at the end.

That said otherwise I loved it, wonderful game, and pants shittingly terrifying until later in the game when tedium overcame fear and wonder.

Curious to see what they do with the narrative in frosty Nautica, and if they improve the overall pacing.

As is I still think it's really good but probably has anywhere from five to fifteen hours of needless back and forth and inventory fiddling that should have been cut.
There used to be a direct signal indicator for your first spoiler, letting people know that unlike all the other examples you couldn't see it in plain view. Of little coincidence, it's removal has lead to countless people who don't know the map like the back of their hand driving right past it while keeping an eye out for resources and leviathans while they following the "Go deeper" advice :v:

The third spoiler is why I often build a tiny fabricator outpost by Gun island if I don't feel like bringing the Cyclops the whole way. Mobile fabrication is the ultimate power of the Cyclops and you are far from the first or last who will be pranked if they decide to walk their prawn to the end on their first playthrough.

Maybe if the cyclops didn't light itself on fire for driving fast, you would have felt differently about travel times. But I'm just so used to it I'm happy to do runs where I only build a safe shallows base and do long hauls in the Cyclops anyways.

The final spoiler isn't too bad because they do go out of their way to make it easier than it sounds even if you are not collecting it ahead of time. But yes, there was a lot of fiddling to make things less smooth (Not more difficult) for first timers (removed signals, basic items turned into fragments despite "So there's a giant pile of laser cutter fragments in a room only accessible via laser cutter" implementation, etc) often at the behest of bored veterans who had played the game to death before release.

It's a shame the endgame seems to be a common case of "What a drag", because it would be so easy to make it a better experience. And some of those ways even used to be in the game previously.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 24, 2019

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Don't think of the Cyclops as a vehicle. Think of it more like a mobile base that you can station in an area while you conduct operations with your Prawn or Seamoth.

I totally agree that the end game really runs out of steam, although I do like the lore you get to uncover and the Sea Emperor interactions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The endgame is really easy to make harder for yourself than it should be given it basically gives you the equivalent of a fast travel system, with nearly all of the portals leading to a place where you can easily find one of the ingredients, and another one can be found easily in the Sea Emperor's own habitat, but it doesn't exactly tell you what you've got.

I get the feeling given you can acquire the blueprints pretty early on, you're meant to begin constructing the Neptune rocket as soon as you get the materials for it, and finding the parts for the additional materials is meant to be incentive to keep exploring.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I never bothered building the Neptune early since I assumed it was going to be a one-shot deal like with the other vehicles.

If I knew it was going to have to build a launch pad first, then followed up with multiple sections, I would have started earlier.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
There's a video specifically for reaper reactions. :allears:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
How easy is it to navigate the lava zone with the prawn? That is pretty much the only part of the game I didn't enjoy. Having to constantly stop because of the sea dragon and to peel off those leeches from the cyclops, together with not knowing where to go just wasn't fun.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Oasx posted:

How easy is it to navigate the lava zone with the prawn? That is pretty much the only part of the game I didn't enjoy. Having to constantly stop because of the sea dragon and to peel off those leeches from the cyclops, together with not knowing where to go just wasn't fun.

If spider-man, yes. If not spider-man, no.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oasx posted:

The Cyclops shield generator, thermal reactor, & sonar are pretty much required for the lava zone. They make it go so much more smoothly.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Oasx posted:

Silent Running + Thermal Power make the first and second things a non-issue, more of a trivial annoyance at that point.

As for not knowing where to go, build a scanner room down there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
My problem with the Cyclops is that there isn't a viewpoint that really feels comfortable while driving. The cockpit doesn't have a very good sight angle down and you can't blast the horn activate countermeasures while using cameras. The camera on the bottom is probably the most useful but it's set too far back to really see that far ahead of you. (lol draw distances and pop in)