Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Payless had size 12 women's?!

gently caress wish I would have known that two weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Queen Combat posted:

On the bright side one assumes they will have even deeper discounts now so maybe you can get some cheap!

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Queen Combat posted:

Hit them now, everything is on sale.

Also please post pictures of your haul.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Soysaucebeast posted:

I figured this was coming though, since the one near me has had a 50-75% off sale every day for the past two years. They had to have been bleeding money.
They declared bankruptcy in 2017, too, so yeah this wasn’t really out of the blue.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd have hit them up if they had 4e sizes.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Their retail rents were probably cheap enough and it's not like their stores were overflowing with personnel. I wouldn't be surprised if most stores operated with a handful of low-paid employees. Overhead couldn't have been that much compared to most retailers.

There's just no money in discount shoes. The big shoe-only discounters like DSW have got you beat on selection and the Wal-Marts and Targets of the world can match you on price and beat you on convenience.

Still surprising to see them close down completely and not try another restructuring/branding change. The last info I could find had them at a 3 billion a year company. There must be fewer lenders willing to toss money into struggling retailers.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I wonder if this is going to bleed up into Canada? Some of the best shoes I've had are from Payless. I love their Safe-T-Step ones cause they're awesome in icy/slippery weather and they're a fraction of the cost of proper work boots. :ohdear:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I bought some shoes from payless a year or so ago that gave me terrible back pain, something I've never had before or since, after wearing them for 3 days. That's my payless anecdote, thanks for reading.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Chicken Doodle posted:

I wonder if this is going to bleed up into Canada? Some of the best shoes I've had are from Payless. I love their Safe-T-Step ones cause they're awesome in icy/slippery weather and they're a fraction of the cost of proper work boots. :ohdear:

Safe-T-Step's women's work boots (Brooke, I think) have been my go-to for years now, they're knockoff Docs with awesome treads and they're hilariously cheap for women's work boots, which are drat near impossible to find in the first place.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
No sales in AZ yet at payless, other than the standard BOGO they always do.

Cannot wait, though, because I tried on their size 12 clogs and they fit nicely.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I've been going there to buy the Safe-T-Step all-black work shoes for years now. I get about 6 months out of them, I do a lot of walking at my job. Outside of the work shoes, most of their shoes feel cheap to me and definitely don't last as long as name brand shoes. I thought the whole point was supposed to be that you get name brand quality for off-brand prices. Maybe it's different for their women's shoes.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Queen Combat posted:

No sales in AZ yet at payless, other than the standard BOGO they always do.

That's a scam I never thought I'd hear in real life. Buy one shoe, get one free? :allears: How do they get away with that?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Pair

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:thejoke:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Fair

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:smug:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Err.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Share!

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I bought two pairs of different saf-t-step shoes and in both pairs the sole completely came detached from the shoe in less than a week. Good riddance. And they weren't even much cheaper than a good pair of skechers work shoes.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Zaurg alt spotted.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Stolen from tumblr here: http://cosmomoore.tumblr.com/post/182861239591

https://twitter.com/sadiemcshadie/status/1096516453589647361?s=09

the above twitter posted:

Trouble at Etsy. Accounts have been seeing charges of over $5000 to their credit cards connected to their shop accounts. Shoppers might want to check their accounts as well. Etsy took $12,000 from this shop owner @etsy #etsy

There's more in the twitter thread linked above.

mirrorada posted:

http://mirrorada.tumblr.com/post/182874720435
It gets better (worse) Etsy is returning the money via the payment account. They also halted all payments out going on Friday and returned(recalled) any that had started processing. They payment account is seeing these returns/refunds as new transactions which is hitting people with another 5%+ And what has Etsy said about all this?

One. loving. Moderator. Post.

That’s it. One post amounting to “sorry, our bad” no public announcement or apology, no site wide announcement, no mass email. Due to what they have called an “unexpected site error” they cleaned out people’s bank accounts, causing many frozen accounts, leaving people with overdraft fees and no money over a 3 day weekend (it’s presidents day on Monday, so financial institutions won’t process poo poo till Tuesday)

gently caress Etsy.

They’ve been dead silent about this happening, many people still aren’t aware, and only become so because another Etsy seller has told them. Only a handful of people effected by the stop/refund on processing payments got an email explaining why, and Etsy didn’t start contacting people who had money stolen untill there was a 20 page deep thread with people complaining.

Someone in the master thread went through and added up all the $ amounts from users actually reporting, mind you this is likely just a fraction of the people effected, and it totaled over $600k.

Six hundred thousand USD. Because of a supposed “site error”
Bull poo poo.

If anyone knows someone with an etsy account, please give them a heads up!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Outside of the work shoes, most of their shoes feel cheap to me and definitely don't last as long as name brand shoes. I thought the whole point was supposed to be that you get name brand quality for off-brand prices. Maybe it's different for their women's shoes.

That's definitely been my experience. My wife forced me to buy shoes from slightly better places (like DSW) and they've generally lasted much longer. It's one of those cases where paying less costs more in the long run.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The only thing I liked about Payless Shoes was that I could get super extra wide shoes back in the 90's before the internet made it easier for me to cover and hide my Fred Flintstonesque stupid wide feet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

The only thing I liked about Payless Shoes was that I could get super extra wide shoes back in the 90's before the internet made it easier for me to cover and hide my Fred Flintstonesque stupid wide feet.

:yossame:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hell yeah idiot wide foot checking in, I haven't been to Payless in ages though. I told my wife to stop by if she could and check out any sweet deals.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It can be hard to find a decent pair of size 13 shoes sometimes, I can't imagine trying to find 13 wides

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Croatoan posted:

Yeah, I have size 13 wides and most stores don't stock over 12 so that was one reason to go to Payless. The quality was always pretty bad though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

value-brand cereal posted:

Stolen from tumblr here: http://cosmomoore.tumblr.com/post/182861239591

https://twitter.com/sadiemcshadie/status/1096516453589647361?s=09

There's more in the twitter thread linked above.

If anyone knows someone with an etsy account, please give them a heads up!

Er, maybe I'm a bit naive but isn't this the kind of thing that can get you in big poo poo trouble over? Is Etsy really big and profitable enough to make this go away?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Straight White Shark posted:

Er, maybe I'm a bit naive but isn't this the kind of thing that can get you in big poo poo trouble over? Is Etsy really big and profitable enough to make this go away?

It used to mean that the company loses credit card endorsements and gets blacklisted because of gently caress up and cover up this big, but who really knows.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Wide feet family :smith: :respek: :smith:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
12EEEE crew checking in.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
I don't have a wide foot but I wear a size 15 and Payless always had something in a color that wasn't black/white/grey and usually for less than 30 bucks. I like Payless

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Queen Combat posted:

Wide feet family :smith: :respek: :smith:

:same:

Buying boots is nightmarish.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Payless for me is always "I loving need a pair of dress shoes, or at least shoes I can pass off as dress shoes NOW" and then discovering they weren't as cheap as I hoped they would be.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I remember wearing size 12 or 13 men's and the army being like "lol no 9.5EE you stupid idiot" and it's the only thing they've ever been right about.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I literally just ordered size 9EEEEEE from Orthofeet.com. Got 20% off with free shipping. I hope these are good. gently caress I just ordered shoes old people order. Then again, old people don't give a gently caress and want comfy shoes.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Croatoan posted:

I literally just ordered size 9EEEEEE from Orthofeet.com. Got 20% off with free shipping. I hope these are good. gently caress I just ordered shoes old people order. Then again, old people don't give a gently caress and want comfy shoes.

I don't think you have feet. I think you might have flippers.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Croatoan posted:

Dr. Scholls inserts changed my life.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I don't think you have feet. I think you might have flippers.

Be kind to Crewman Dax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
So based on this thread response Payless should have just rebranded as "Wide Foot Shoe Paradise" and they prob would have been fine