Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So did the developer here just run out of ideas and start phoning it in at the end here? Would be kind of a disappointing end...

Oh, and glory to Arstotzka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
I see Turnip Hill is really gonna be indulging in the suicide apartment soviet cubes that make up the shittier neighborhoods of Finland.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
This looks like it's going to be a great level to watch someone else have to play.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Obenseur is like a combination of Infra's best and worst ideas. I still don't know how I feel about it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

This looks like the part of the game dedicated to everyone's favorite fail-state, the soft-lock.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
At first I thought you could use the wires from the button panel to the motor dials to help figure out the puzzle, but apart from a vague sense of "this half of the panel controls these three motors" you get nothing concrete.

The recycling gimmick here, yeah, I can agree, that's impressively ambitious but going by the rest of the game it looks like it's going to be difficult enough that it can eat my entire rear end.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Eh the coin thing isn't so bad. If you explore carefully enough you can find ways to bypass having to pay much of anything. Also incidentally, the Perkele button on the intercom works.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

EasilyConfused posted:

This looks like it's going to be a great level to watch someone else have to play.

:emptyquote:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Did Robin tell you about a friend of his or is that just something that happens if you press the right button and also saved Robin?

EasilyConfused posted:

:yeah:

I mean I actually kind of like the concept for a level in this game and its hosed up city but I also have a feeling some of the hiding spots are going to be diiiiiiicks.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Turnip Hill does suck if you want to explore. I got stuck here for quite a while. Someone had to tell me that I needed to do death-defying precision platforming to progress.

The coin thing is also really bad because unlike more sensible games, you need to insert every single coin, one at a time into machines, instead of just letting you one-click them in once you have enough. The way to two secret endings requires 99 coins. Inserted one. At. A. Time.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You know what, I'm gonna make some predictions, based purely on cynicism.

-one floor's coin machine will have been yanked completely off the wall. Bonus points for making a hole you have to crawl through to finish the level. Extra bonus points for still being functional.
-at least one coin machine will be behind a door you need coins to access. Not counting needing coins to take the elevator up to it.
-you'll need to power up at least one machine by finding fuses. The fuse, naturally, will be on a different floor.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
One coin machine will have run out of coins, but will still accept bottles.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The coin thing is also really bad because unlike more sensible games, you need to insert every single coin, one at a time into machines, instead of just letting you one-click them in once you have enough. The way to two secret endings requires 99 coins. Inserted one. At. A. Time.
there's a Dark Souls joke somewhere in here

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's cute that you guys think there are multiple coin machines.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
As a talented engineer you'd think Mark could at least hotwire a device or pick a lock, but then if he could do that I guess there wouldn't be much of a game. So instead you have to run around in circles to get things done.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

32,33/ I visit Stalburg's dark side, underside and backside, all lumped together.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 26, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah with all the creepy poo poo that happens here, I can't really hate this level. But yeah if you spent your coins riding the lift, I could see why this level would be a gently caress.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The bottle recycling machines seems dead set to showing you the technical limitations of the game. Having to run back and forth constantly because you can only carry one item at a time is just rear end. Even if the brick thing made me laugh. As well as the shrooms being really badly recoloured screws.

Have to say at least that the narrative of the place is at least good in its hosed up glory.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If you let all those coins build up (in either the bottle return or gambling machine) does the Source physics engine eventually cause them to fire out in every direction, killing Mark in a hail of currency?

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Duck room. There are many emotions there.
There's a man known to the internet and reddit in particular as /u/fuckswithducks. He is famous for his encyclopedic knowledge of rubber ducks and other interesting facts. Including commissioning a video with rubber duck as one of participants.
This is exactly how I imagined his room to look like.

NHO fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 26, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I hope you like coins.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Well gently caress those secret endings imho. :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And apparently if you do the ARG poo poo, you find out that thing Mark gets executed in is called the Headless Raven Machine. Apparently people who made the Stalburg Underground built their city around it and sacrifice people to it.

And you guys thought your guessing in the beginning of this thread was wild

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The secret ending cutscene reminds me of one of one of the areas in the water tunnel near the beginning of the game. Probably a coincidence.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Here's what happens if you stick a brick in the "Bricks Welcome" slot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht8WCvXHyfY

Also, I got stuck on this level because I didn't spot the panel in the floor that operated the drawbridge. That really annoyed me an I had to ask for help on the Steam forums. I was able to get to the second ground-level area by doing death-defying platforming onto balconies and fences to get from the fourth floor down to the ground.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 27, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There was a loving FACE pressed against the side of that bag WHAT THE gently caress

oh you point that out later.

Actually what the gently caress was this whole update!? This game has gotten extremely weird.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

New and worse depths of finnish hell. gently caress Turnip Hill.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wait, you need 1000 Stalbucks (I have completely forgotten if this was supposed to be set in an actual country and even if I remembered, the only Scandinavian currency I'm aware of is the kroner) for what's essentially just one picture?

I will admit I was expecting the opencoin aspect to be more prevalent, like needing them for toilet stalls, a coin machine on every floor, and certainly not a savescummable slot machine to just remove any semblance of challenge from the idea. I was also not expecting there to just be a goddamn key for the entire stairwell, I was expecting needing to drop through holes in the floor and climb janky ladders between balconies (With the occasional requirement to make your own holes/ladders and then take pictures of them) to save coins for the elevator. This was almost a pleasant stroll in comparison to the other ways the game's thrown you the middle finger.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Dareon posted:

Wait, you need 1000 Stalbucks (I have completely forgotten if this was supposed to be set in an actual country and even if I remembered, the only Scandinavian currency I'm aware of is the kroner) for what's essentially just one picture?

I don't believe the country is ever specified, but it's meant to be a probably fictitious country somewhere attached to the Baltic sea I believe. I think the weird flag we find every now and then, might actually be the flag of that country, at least that's my hypothesis. All I know that is that it actually doesn't take place in Finland, as we will likely learn later.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Dareon posted:

This was almost a pleasant stroll in comparison to the other ways the game's thrown you the middle finger.
Remember that the stairs key is optional and pretty well-hidden, and that there's no indication of where/what the level exit is until you knock on the door.

Also, note that you can't toss glass bottles from the top floors to the courtyard, because they break.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SelenicMartian posted:

Remember that the stairs key is optional and pretty well-hidden, and that there's no indication of where/what the level exit is until you knock on the door.

Also, note that you can't toss glass bottles from the top floors to the courtyard, because they break.

The shopping cart in the elevator is intended to make it easier to carry bottles around.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Turnip Hill is the second swirl for me

To quote myself from earlier, this level sucks and owns in equal measures.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

SSNeoman posted:

To quote myself from earlier, this level sucks and owns in equal measures.

Where are we now in that graph?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have trouble imagining how Markku's car could have gotten him to the reactor the way he was going. Did he intend to take the train?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So in my reading of other threads, I discovered that the SNW program has a bit of a basis in real life.

Collateral Damage posted:

"The swedish plan". I saw an exhibit on that just this weekend. The plan was conceived in the 50s and aimed at making Sweden self sufficient on uranium both for nuclear power and heat production, and to have a domestic program for producing weapons-grade plutonium in heavy water reactors. Uranium would be mined from alum shale deposits which we have a lot of, and part of the uranium would be traded for heavy water from Norway.

The only thing that came of the weapons program was a simulated detonation where we lit off a large amount of TNT. In the end we realized that extracting uranium from alum shale was not cost-efficient compared to just buying low-enriched uranium from the US and building light water reactors.

Edit: Sweden's first nuclear reactor was a heavy water reactor built smack in the middle of Stockholm, in a cave underneath the Royal Institute of Technology. It was loaded with 3 metric tons of unenriched uranium and was air-cooled via a heat exchanger. A lovely radiology accident waiting to happen.
Looking forward to Mark accidentally irradiating himself/Stalberg. Again.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

I have trouble imagining how Markku's car could have gotten him to the reactor the way he was going. Did he intend to take the train?

Well, according to the Stahlburg Map, Turnip Hill is close to the reactor. It's possible that he was forced to detour because of road blockages/abandoned cars.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

34/ This, certainly, has been a part of my adventure.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I see we've found the place where the inevitable zombie game will begin.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
This week on INFRA Mark starts out by stumbling onto a mass grave. Then finishes destroying a bridge so the poor people behind him can't escape.

This was a pretty short and uneventful level all told though. The next one sounds more promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
You can't open the door because the mushroom farmer is in there sleeping. He must be a heavy sleeper to miss mark stomping around, flushing toilets and muttering to himself about how that's probably not supposed to be like that.