Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Just got officially accepted into the Paul Bunyan Comedy Festival in Oscoda, Michigan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

DoctorDelaware posted:

Just got officially accepted into the Paul Bunyan Comedy Festival in Oscoda, Michigan.

Congrats

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First
FYI If any of you write topical jokes and want to get more out of them before the 24 hour news cycle kills them, you can submit them to
BBC's Newsjack https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kvs8r and possibly get paid for them if they pick your jokes up.

(They will accept jokes from anyone, anywhere despite being based in the U.K.)

----
Congrats DocDelaware on the Festival!

I decided that I would skip the festivals and fringe shows this year and focus on diversifying my skill set.

They're huge out here, but generally you turn up to a major city and just hemorrhage money for 4 days in the form of flights, accommodation and food, then fly home having maybe broken even on the flights.

It's a detriment to comedy in Australia that major cities are so far from each other.

That said 2019 has been solid for me so far,

I picked up a side gig writing for a small Community TV comedy show that pays per skit/one liner, Picked up a job hosting pub trivia once a week and, I launched a Podcast.

I've been asked to pop into one of the commercial radio studios once a month and riff on the news with them for 30 minutes. I'd done the segment a couple of times but to be asked back as a regular is pretty special. I got to do the same thing on local ABC radio (Australia, so our regional PBS basically) last week and an Australian comedy icon I'd grown up watching was there and I got to meet him. That was super exciting.
And it sounds like there's a second, paying, writing job on the way in 2020.

This year I've finally learned to unashamedly ask for what I want and mostly people have been happy to help so that's nice. My goal is to be out of my 9-5 finance job by the end of 2020.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Bompacho posted:

FYI If any of you write topical jokes and want to get more out of them before the 24 hour news cycle kills them, you can submit them to
BBC's Newsjack https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00kvs8r and possibly get paid for them if they pick your jokes up.

(They will accept jokes from anyone, anywhere despite being based in the U.K.)

----
Congrats DocDelaware on the Festival!

I decided that I would skip the festivals and fringe shows this year and focus on diversifying my skill set.

They're huge out here, but generally you turn up to a major city and just hemorrhage money for 4 days in the form of flights, accommodation and food, then fly home having maybe broken even on the flights.

It's a detriment to comedy in Australia that major cities are so far from each other.

That said 2019 has been solid for me so far,

I picked up a side gig writing for a small Community TV comedy show that pays per skit/one liner, Picked up a job hosting pub trivia once a week and, I launched a Podcast.

I've been asked to pop into one of the commercial radio studios once a month and riff on the news with them for 30 minutes. I'd done the segment a couple of times but to be asked back as a regular is pretty special. I got to do the same thing on local ABC radio (Australia, so our regional PBS basically) last week and an Australian comedy icon I'd grown up watching was there and I got to meet him. That was super exciting.
And it sounds like there's a second, paying, writing job on the way in 2020.

This year I've finally learned to unashamedly ask for what I want and mostly people have been happy to help so that's nice. My goal is to be out of my 9-5 finance job by the end of 2020.

This is great. Good for you. Thanks for the BBC submission link. When I'm paying attention to the news, I love writing topical jokes as a writing exercise, but barely use them. It'd be nice to get something out of it.

I'm in a similar vein. I've been cutting back on stand up to try getting a book written. I'll hopefully have a rough first draft done in a month.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
We just wrapped up Sno Jam 2019. It was awesome.

I got a hug from Kevin McDonald.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Everyone still doing comedy?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I've got a quesiton on the subject of coming up with bits and writing. Are there books that are considered very good or interesting on the subject? I've got no intention of doing stand-up but would like to read up on some tips some comedians have to make their sets.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Odddzy posted:

I've got a quesiton on the subject of coming up with bits and writing. Are there books that are considered very good or interesting on the subject? I've got no intention of doing stand-up but would like to read up on some tips some comedians have to make their sets.

Couldn't tell you, I've never read a book on that. I've heard Kevin Hart's book is really good though

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Odddzy posted:

Not a book, but the podcast "Good One" might be what you're looking for, the host sits down with a comedian, listens to one of their bits, and they kind of deconstruct it and walk through the creation of it, how they refined it and so forth.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

The Berzerker posted:

Not a book, but the podcast "Good One" might be what you're looking for, the host sits down with a comedian, listens to one of their bits, and they kind of deconstruct it and walk through the creation of it, how they refined it and so forth.

Thanks for both suggestions guys, will check that out!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Also not books, but Ralphie May and Ari Shaffir have both given classes/talks about the business. They tend to be more about stuff like stage presence and career choices than writing the actual jokes though. But they're worth a watch for anyone wanting to go into stand-up and they both contain lots of interesting thoughts from people who have been doing this for a long time. I'm not sure if I've seen them linked here before or not.

https://vimeo.com/15182852

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k43XcdlO22s

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Isn't Ralphie May dead?

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
So it's time for me to start pimping our festival again. We've shortened the name and move the dates; it's now Sno Jam Comedy Festival, and it runs January 23-25.

Submissions are open until November 15. New this year is that you can also submit a themed show, if you run one. We've also got some more announcements, once everything is made official.

https://www.snojamcomedyfest.com/submit

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Only eight days left to apply to the Sno Jam Comedy Festival! 30 comics are chosen to come to the best* place at the best* time and tell jokes. Net proceeds from the festival are donated to the Special Olympics of South Dakota.

The biggest news of all is this year's headliner: Sioux Falls' own Sean Jordan! Sean is part of one of the top podcasts in the nation (All Fantasy Everything) and just released an album ("The Buck Starts Here.") poo poo's gonna be dank, yo.

Submit your application here: https://www.snojamcomedyfest.com/submit

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Isn't Ralphie May dead?

No you're thinking of John Pinette. Ralphie May is the one in Baskets.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
No he's definitely dead.

He died in Vegas two years ago

Lotron
Aug 15, 2006

Still clownin'
How do y'all approach online presence?

I keep getting people coming up after a set and asking for Insta and whatever, and I simply don't have an online presence for my stand-up to give them.

Do y'all just post your showtimes and clips?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Most people really just want to know when they can see you perform again so whatever online presence you make just make sure it includes dates for the next time you're going up.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I wouldn't know. I have none

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I ordered my first-ever merch on Black Friday, and the shirts arrived yesterday.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

DoctorDelaware posted:

Wait why the hell did you pick Oscoda? How is anyone else on SA even bopping around here?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lotron posted:

How do y'all approach online presence?

I keep getting people coming up after a set and asking for Insta and whatever, and I simply don't have an online presence for my stand-up to give them.

Do y'all just post your showtimes and clips?

Just found this thread and caught up on the last few pages.

I can tell you that in Malaysia, most of the emerging comics do this formula:
- Always post about shows - "Hey guys, this week I'm doing the following rooms!" Or "This week, these are the shows on, and I'll be at ___"
- Always do post-show posts - "Tonight's crowd was great! Very humbled to be part of this, etc." Or maybe "My friend ___ killed it tonight! On fire with the set"
- Sometimes do snippets on Instastories or equivalent platform.

Seems to work, at least to get their names in the know right now.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Artelier posted:

Just found this thread and caught up on the last few pages.

I can tell you that in Malaysia, most of the emerging comics do this formula:
- Always post about shows - "Hey guys, this week I'm doing the following rooms!" Or "This week, these are the shows on, and I'll be at ___"
- Always do post-show posts - "Tonight's crowd was great! Very humbled to be part of this, etc." Or maybe "My friend ___ killed it tonight! On fire with the set"
- Sometimes do snippets on Instastories or equivalent platform.

Seems to work, at least to get their names in the know right now.

Pretty sure this is standard everywhere. At least in Chicago, I always see it from the comics who are constantly getting work. This is easily the weakest part of my game.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The other method that I know of is to be an organiser, but I'm not sure how saturated Chicago is right now with clubs and shows; it might just be another drop in the bucket if you can't differentiate yourself.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Chicago is the third biggest comedy scene in the U.S. Saturated is a pretty apt description.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Eskaton posted:

Wait why the hell did you pick Oscoda? How is anyone else on SA even bopping around here?

Hey, I didn't create the festival. I just performed. (I think one of the producers grew up in Oscoda, which is why the festival was there.) I had a really good time that weekend, except the parts where I was on stage. That crowd did *not* like me.

In other festival news, Sno Jam Comedy Fest was amazing this year. We raised over $5000 for the Special Olympics of South Dakota, thanks in no small part to our headliner (All Fantasy Everything regular and Sioux Falls' own Sean Jordan.) We were also proud to have Mike Malone performing his Amazon special, Laugh After Death, as well as an agent from America's Got Talent. In personal highlights: my game show, Vocabularious, was also part of the festival, and it sold out!

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
Hey gang. Hope you're all hanging in there.

I'm drunk enough rn to shoot my shot on this, but I've started running my game show as a streaming event through the Boss' Comedy Club Facebook page (Boss' is our local club.) Show airs on Sunday night at 8pm central.

https://www.facebook.com/events/246883383193078/

Check it out.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I have decided to use my shelter in place time to work on new material. (Gesturing at illegible sticky notes with high thoughts on them)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Hello stand up thread, can you help me find a bit im looking for? Its basically a guy telling a story where he was working as a dog walker (in NY, i think?) where the dog he was walking just straight up destroys this other dog with the owner being completely oblivious on the phone. Its not much to go on, but i cant google "dog mauls other dog funny" anymore because my recommended searches are getting weird

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Hello stand up thread, can you help me find a bit im looking for? Its basically a guy telling a story where he was working as a dog walker (in NY, i think?) where the dog he was walking just straight up destroys this other dog with the owner being completely oblivious on the phone. Its not much to go on, but i cant google "dog mauls other dog funny" anymore because my recommended searches are getting weird

I've been racking my brain thinking about this becuase it rang teh slightest of bells.

Do you know if it was by someone super well known? Because feel like I saw something similar to this on a episode of Laughs or Coming to the Stage. My brain could just be parsing someone else's dog walker material.

---

In the interest of keeping people interesting in comedy why life is locked down/limited.

Does anyone in here spend time writing comedy not intended for stand up? Screenplay? Short Stories?
Anyone working on anything cool and interesting while you've been locked-down?

My city has its first Open Mic on since Feburary. Social distancing rules still in place due to State legislation we're expecting a crowd of only 20-25 people.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 30, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm currently trying to write what looks to be a baozi based gangster rap. We're shooting on Saturday and it's Thursday in Malaysia now with no solid script so that's fun! A case of too many disparate ideas since it's a bit too broad atm. The vibe is set though, an incredibly hard rap about steamed buns.

Generally, I've spent a lot of time doing online mics. One place here has started doing live with audience comedy open mics but I'm not comfy with crowds yet so giving that a pass.

Some of the more interesting comedy-specific things I've done recently, all online:
Powerpoint Karaoke Singapore - They brought this concept online. Basically, you get about 7 or so slides that you have to explain. You don't know what the slides are, they're a bunch of random images/quotes as chosen by the host. You also don't know what your topic presentation is; that's chosen by the audience. Next show happening on 25 August Singapore (so 25 August morning for most of the USA)
End of the World Setlist - Stand up without a net basically. It feels like they give a random words generator a go and that's your topic. Next show is in about 19 hours from this post.
Stand Up Comedy Writing Mastermind - Workshopping session. People are split into teams of 2-4, work on their sets with direct feedback for about 30 minutes. Then the groups are split up again in new permutations. After two rounds, there's a chance to perform online (to other comics) as a way to immediately see where you're at with your material now, with a host and everything. Happens every Tuesday morning for me (American Monday night) and Saturday evening (Saturday midnight morning)

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Bompacho posted:

I've been racking my brain thinking about this becuase it rang teh slightest of bells.

Do you know if it was by someone super well known? Because feel like I saw something similar to this on a episode of Laughs or Coming to the Stage. My brain could just be parsing someone else's dog walker material.

---

In the interest of keeping people interesting in comedy why life is locked down/limited.

Does anyone in here spend time writing comedy not intended for stand up? Screenplay? Short Stories?
Anyone working on anything cool and interesting while you've been locked-down?

My city has its first Open Mic on since Feburary. Social distancing rules still in place due to State legislation we're expecting a crowd of only 20-25 people.

I could have sworn it was someone like Bert Kreischer but I went through his bits and didn't see it. I really have no idea and google is painfully unhelpful. I mean there really isn't too much to the bit- a guy is walking this rando dog, they get to a corner where this person is on the phone with a small dog on a leash, and the comedians dog just murders this other dog. The bit focuses on what it's like to be on the phone and have you dog just magically die when you turn around.

It's driving me crazy! Thank you for helping :) good luck with your comedy!

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Artelier posted:

I'm currently trying to write what looks to be a baozi based gangster rap. We're shooting on Saturday and it's Thursday in Malaysia now with no solid script so that's fun! A case of too many disparate ideas since it's a bit too broad atm. The vibe is set though, an incredibly hard rap about steamed buns.

Generally, I've spent a lot of time doing online mics. One place here has started doing live with audience comedy open mics but I'm not comfy with crowds yet so giving that a pass.

Some of the more interesting comedy-specific things I've done recently, all online:
Powerpoint Karaoke Singapore - They brought this concept online. Basically, you get about 7 or so slides that you have to explain. You don't know what the slides are, they're a bunch of random images/quotes as chosen by the host. You also don't know what your topic presentation is; that's chosen by the audience. Next show happening on 25 August Singapore (so 25 August morning for most of the USA)
End of the World Setlist - Stand up without a net basically. It feels like they give a random words generator a go and that's your topic. Next show is in about 19 hours from this post.
Stand Up Comedy Writing Mastermind - Workshopping session. People are split into teams of 2-4, work on their sets with direct feedback for about 30 minutes. Then the groups are split up again in new permutations. After two rounds, there's a chance to perform online (to other comics) as a way to immediately see where you're at with your material now, with a host and everything. Happens every Tuesday morning for me (American Monday night) and Saturday evening (Saturday midnight morning)

I love that Powerpoint Karaoke concept. I've always enjoyed doing setlist (Though I'm not great at it) and I've pitched a couple of organisrs a setlist based on images and videos, but this sound like a much more interesting idea.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Man, I stopped doing stand-up for a while and now there's no regular open mics to go to anymore. :(

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

literally this big posted:

Man, I stopped doing stand-up for a while and now there's no regular open mics to go to anymore. :(

Same. Trying to think of how to keep sharp without taking part in sketchy zoom calls.

Are there any decent books on/about standup?

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Capntastic posted:

Same. Trying to think of how to keep sharp without taking part in sketchy zoom calls.

Are there any decent books on/about standup?

I like Patton Oswalt's Silver Screen Fiend as a book about doing standup and a bit of a memoir about the LA comedy scene back in the 90s. Super fun read, made me really want to do more comedy, which is a mixed blessing in our current time.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Mike Sacks - And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on their Craft and the Industry
Mike Sacks - Poking a Dead Frog: Conversations with Today's Top Comedy Writers
These are both easy reads about the craft of comedy writing (stand ups and TV writers and whatnot are all included

Richard Zoglin - Comedy at the Edge
William Knoedelseder - I'm Dying Up Here: Heartbreak and High Times in Stand-Up Comedy's Golden Era
These are good if you're interested in the history of stand-up in the 70s and a little past that

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Performing at an outdoor venue for the first time since March. Man, I can't loving wait!

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Sataere posted:

Performing at an outdoor venue for the first time since March. Man, I can't loving wait!

Outdoor shows are going to make a comeback in a big way, way before indoor shows do I would guess. It's a good muscle to work out right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

literally this big posted:

Outdoor shows are going to make a comeback in a big way, way before indoor shows do I would guess. It's a good muscle to work out right now.

One comic said I looked like a racehorse just chomping at the bit before going on. Responded that I need to go before all the coke wears off

It was great being onstage. I was very rusty, but didn't suck and all my new jokes hit