Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Student Section Chirps Rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

Student Section Chirps Rule

:emptyquote:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

*cheers stolen from michigan that they in turn stole from cornell*

And Michigan stole their helmets from Princeton so this is clearly another case of ECAC supremacy.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'm going to the MN State High School Hockey Tournament this year to watch some UMD prospects and specifically to cheer for Hermantown in Class A, who are basically the UMD farm team, and Duluth East in Class AA, who also have kicked up a lot of top tier talent to the roster.

Blake Biondi is going to loving destroy D1.

edit:

This guy went to Hermantown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XqjBvwU5rs
https://youtu.be/6XqjBvwU5rs

edit2:

Jared Thomas, who scored both GWG in the 2018 Frozen Four for UMD, went to Hermantown.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 8, 2019

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
* clears throat *

Poonion

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I hope the 2019 Beanpot is a repeat of the 2011 Beanpot.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan finally gets a sweep this year by beating MSU at home/pizzarena

It featured an empty net goal wherein the puck got gloved down by a U-M guy and was then accidentally knocked into the net by a MSU guy

This now puts UM at 12-11-6 this year, so it took them over two months to get over the .500 hump

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 10, 2019

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

The Big 10 loving sucks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The Big 10 loving sucks.

:yeah:

Also BG went undefeated vs. Bye this weekend :cool:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I had fun at the surprisingly professional hockey game between Bama and Missouri State (both club teams). Bama has enough money to make me wonder; has any team made the jump in recent history to scholarship level?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

GD_American posted:

I had fun at the surprisingly professional hockey game between Bama and Missouri State (both club teams). Bama has enough money to make me wonder; has any team made the jump in recent history to scholarship level?

Arizona State and Penn State

There's apparently some smoke regarding Illinois

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I still maintain that Rutgers is going to happen eventually because it makes no goddamn sense but gives the B1G the easiest path to 10 unless they are going to try to poach UNO to claim them under the umbrella of Nebraska but I have no idea why they would want to leave a good conference for a bad conference

e: Arizona and USC have pretty decent programs historically, with ASU's quick rise to near competence, I could see them exploring D1 in the coming years

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 11, 2019

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

As much as everyone complained about the Big Ten splitting off, it opened up space because the NCHC was also formed in the aftermath. More conferences for more teams is better for college hockey.

Also Notre Dame finally saw some loving sense and joined the conference that they're geographically right in the center of

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I don't know if I buy that because ASU is still independent and the creation of the B1G almost killed UAH. The biggest problem with the creation of the B1G (aside from killing a bunch of good rivalries) was that they didn't wait until they had 8 teams to make an actual conference of reasonable size that deserves a tournament autobid

As long as big money schools like PSU and ASU are willing to sink funds into a program while the landscape develops, there will be space for new teams regardless of what Jim Delany wants to do. And let's be frank here, those are the only teams that are making the jump. The creation of the B1G isn't opening up space for Liberty to become a D1 program

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 11, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm still going to be stunned if Illinois starts a program. That school is DEEP in the red, even with the BTN money and creating a hockey team and building an arena is just going to be even more of a money sink.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Is there any chance that they'd combine forces with Chicago and Springfield for some kind of UI superteam? Or that UIC might just set out on its own? They used to have a team way way back in the forever ago didn't they?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Is there any chance that they'd combine forces with Chicago and Springfield for some kind of UI superteam? Or that UIC might just set out on its own? They used to have a team way way back in the forever ago didn't they?

UIC did, yeah. They were in the CCHA for like 15 years.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I still maintain that Rutgers is going to happen eventually because it makes no goddamn sense but gives the B1G the easiest path to 10 unless they are going to try to poach UNO to claim them under the umbrella of Nebraska but I have no idea why they would want to leave a good conference for a bad conference

It’d would be on par for the shocking fiscal mismanagement that’s going on with Rutgers “athletics” for them to try and push out another D1 team no one will go and watch while losing 74% of their games.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2019/02/01/rutgers-athletics-bottom-big-ten-revenue-and-victories/2748374002/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

It’d would be on par for the shocking fiscal mismanagement that’s going on with Rutgers “athletics” for them to try and push out another D1 team no one will go and watch while losing 74% of their games.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2019/02/01/rutgers-athletics-bottom-big-ten-revenue-and-victories/2748374002/

It's astonishing how poorly managed the Rutgers athletic department has been. They literally only exist at this point to give the other B1G teams both a guaranteed win, and a shitload of money because they're in the NYC market. You'd think they could at least keep their heads above water but they can't even do that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neodoomium posted:

As much as everyone complained about the Big Ten splitting off, it opened up space because the NCHC was also formed in the aftermath. More conferences for more teams is better for college hockey.

Also Notre Dame finally saw some loving sense and joined the conference that they're geographically right in the center of

Please stop giving Notre Dame credit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the demon ohio state being the only team in the B1G that doesn't blow rear end this year is hilarious and exactly what that trash conference deserves

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

The NCHC is cool, but goddamn I would love to trade UNO for Bemidji and Miami for Mankato. Western Michigan can stay because I can't think of anyone else.

I want to viscerally hate every conference foe. I am grateful I get to hate Denver, UND, SCSU, and CC several times a year, at least.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Cornell is now ranked in the top ten nationally and clinched the ivy league but I refuse to get my hopes up for the ncaa tournament because college hockey is pain

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BGScreechTeam/status/1095021567942316033

loving lmao they're gonna buy up and give away all the discounted chocolate in town for the game on 2/15

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is amazing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah that's the best promotional giveaway I've seen in years

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/twolinepass/status/1095063317155102720

lol

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

iospace posted:

Please stop giving Notre Dame credit.

Done. gently caress those domer clowns

gently caress a theoretical Liberty hockey team too

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

The NCHC is cool, but goddamn I would love to trade UNO for Bemidji and Miami for Mankato. Western Michigan can stay because I can't think of anyone else.

I want to viscerally hate every conference foe. I am grateful I get to hate Denver, UND, SCSU, and CC several times a year, at least.

2015 nchc tournaments champions get rekt

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan played those loving Domer Clowns Tuesday and because it was not Friday they lost and looked like hot garbage throughout

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Karson Kuhlman gets called up to the big show. He's such a loving baller.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

https://www.uscho.com/2019/02/15/coming-soon-illinois-hoping-to-make-a-decision-on-ncaa-d-i-program-in-april-or-may

quote:

Nearly two years after Snee and his organization first floated the idea of the University of Illinois adding men’s hockey during a meeting with the school’s athletic department, the Illini are in the final stages of securing the financial commitment needed from community business leaders that would lead to Illinois to becoming the eighth member of the Big Ten hockey conference.

Warren Hood, deputy director of athletics at Illinois, who is spearheading the project for the school, stopped short in recent days of saying that it’s a done deal, but he didn’t try to mask his optimism.

“We have been working with a number of stakeholders the last nine months and we have made great progress,” Hood said. “February is going to be a big month for us. We have a lot of final meetings with some partners and depending on how those go, we are hoping we can make a decision in April or May.”

Asked for his take on the likelihood of Illinois adding men’s hockey, Snee said, “I feel they have every intension of being successful in their pursuit.”

College Hockey Inc. is primarily funded through a grant from USA Hockey, which, of course, shares the goal of growing the game. The Illini became the first athletic department to take advantage of a program created by College Hockey Inc., the NHL and the NHL Players’ Association that funds feasibility studies foe schools considering adding the sport. The study concluded that the Champaign-Urbana area could and would support a Division I men’s hockey program, and the school has been working to turn it into a reality ever since.

Illinois’ plan calls for building a 5,000-seat arena on the edge of campus that will be used for volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics as well as men’s hockey. In addition, two auxiliary sheets of ice would be added as a community asset, with the aim at growing youth hockey programs. There is only one rink in Champaign-Urbana, an on-campus facility that was built in 1931. It is the home of the Illinois club team but is not an option for housing a Division I program.

According to Hood, Illinois is involved with a number of corporations in regard to naming rights for a new arena. He called it one of the four major pieces of the funding project.

Hood estimated the cost of the project would be $100 million. It had been reported that Illinois hoped to raise $50 million in donations , but Hood refers to that number as a “moving target.”

“Some of the people who would be involved with the project would be paying an annual amount as opposed to a certain number up front,” Hood said. “I would say that we are down to about half of that [$50 million) amount. Initially we had hoped we would find a [major] donor similar to what took place at Penn State and Arizona State, but there aren’t many individuals who are willing to write those big checks.

“Right now our focus is more on community partners and people who would be involved with the facility itself, where it would have an impact on them.’’

Hood said that the last three months have been particularly encouraging, with conversations with potential community partners advancing from the talking stage to finalizing what the various commitments would be.

Should they add men’s hockey, the Illini would either have to add a women’s sport or eliminate a men’s sport to satisfy Title IX requirements. Hockey, field hockey and lacrosse are the three women’s sports under consideration to be added. Hood said that the elimination of a men’s sport remains a possibility.

So it looks like Illinois is D1 by, I would guess 2022

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 16, 2019

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao jesus christ

also drat BG came out of the bye week by beating the absolute dogshit out of spacebear

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Almost nothing beats kicking the poo poo out of Denver.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Minn. State wins their 4th mcnaughton cup in the last 5 years officially tonight.

BG doing their damndest to miss out on another national tournament. They basically have to sweep @Bemidji and vs. Bama-Huntsville and that's still likely not going to guarantee a spot.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Yeah those are some pretty fierce teams. Especially Alabama-Huntsville, the literal worst team in D1.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah those are some pretty fierce teams. Especially Alabama-Huntsville, the literal worst team in D1.

My friend, if you trust in Bowling Green's ability to not blow a late season push then I have several bridges to sell you.

Unrelated, both Alaska programs are staring down the barrel of budget cuts again

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

My friend, if you trust in Bowling Green's ability to not blow a late season push then I have several bridges to sell you.

Unrelated, both Alaska programs are staring down the barrel of budget cuts again

I'm looking for n-scale train bridges if you got them! :v:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

So yeah Arizona State has a weekend at Minnesota then they're done. I'd be stunned if they didn't make the tournament, goddamn.

Also holy poo poo Lake Superior where did this season come from?

USCHO posted:

Two wins by identical 3-1 scores for Lake Superior over Michigan Tech keep the Lakers read hot, 13-2-1 in their last 16 games. The defense and goaltending has stood out in that stretch.

In the 13 wins, the Lakers have allowed two goals or less in 11 of those games (and three goals against in the other two games).

It’s still a bit of a climb, but the Lakers continue to put themselves into position for an at-large NCAA bid, sitting 19th in the current PairWise.

Lake Superior, which won three national titles between 1988 and 1994, has not qualified for an NCAA tournament since 1996.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

let us not forget that time that the ccha powerhouse 2006-07 miami redhawks got swept in the conference quarterfinal on the back of like 112 saves by lake state goaltending monster jeff jakaitis