Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

repiv posted:

Valves official branch of Source doesn't support the Switch, but Respawns Titanfall/Apex branch is so heavily modified at this point that they'd probably have to port it from scratch regardless.

I'll be shocked if it doesn't get ported to the Switch. I can't imagine they expected the game to be the runaway success that it has become and are probably getting on the Switch port ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It took me longer than I'd like to admit before I raalised I shouldn't go to the graveyard.

I guess I just thought I was that terrible and needed to be better.

I can't think of anywhere particularly hard that DS2 ushers you towards though. IIRC you don't have access to any really brutal areas until much later.

stev fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 18, 2019

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Steve2911 posted:

I can't think of anywhere particularly hard that DS2 ushers you towards though. IIRC you don't have access to any p brutal areas until much later.

The first place I naturally gravitated towards was Heides, which isn't really that much harder to get through than Forest.

Also the Forest entrance is literally right there. Much close to the bonfire than any other path. I don't know how I missed it.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

It took me longer than I'd like to admit before I raalised I shouldn't go to the graveyard.

I guess I just thought I was that terrible and needed to be better.

I can't think of anywhere particularly hard that DS2 ushers you towards though. IIRC you don't have access to any p brutal areas until much later.

Dark Souls 2 is a lot more forgiving with that yeah. The Forest and Heides are both fine places to head first. I guess you can get down to the gutter pretty early, but the way looks really menacing. The pit doesn't exactly scream 'jump down here', at least until later

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I'll be shocked if it doesn't get ported to the Switch. I can't imagine they expected the game to be the runaway success that it has become and are probably getting on the Switch port ASAP

It holds 60fps fairly well on the big boy consoles so maybe it's doable on the Switch with a drop to 30fps.

Playing such a fast game at 30fps doesn't sound appealing to me but people liked the Doom port so :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

The game map overall is great but lol don't even try to pretend Firelink doesn't herd 95% of everybody who plays it straight to the skeletons.

"Gee golly I have no idea why people first went straight towards and then past the most interesting architectural structure in the area, taking the only obvious paved pathway, and not the complete opposite direction down a narrow path hidden behind a tree that also happens to be roughly the same color as the steep cliff it's wrapped against that looks like it's leading into nothing."

The controls are excellent though, you're right about that.

Messages told me where to go

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Look Sir Droids posted:

lol 95%. No. This is at best a 50:50 proposition. Also you would have to just ignore that the first item you see to pick up in Firelink is at the well, which is on the way to the uphill path.

So no, the game in no way herds you to the graveyard over other available paths.

The absolute first thing you see when the crow drops you off at Firelink for the first time, down to the direction you face, is to your left a dead, chaotic looking tree and crumbling aqueduct-like structure, which cleans up and becomes larger as you look farther towards the right edge of the screen, and it also even shows an NPC there if the architecture isn't enough, drawing your attention to your right and suggesting that's where you should go.

Then, when you go and speak to the NPC, you're presented with an inviting staircase right next to him, which is the first real suggestion of an identifiable pathway you see.

So yes, the game absolutely herds you in that direction.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 18, 2019

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

The first place I naturally gravitated towards was Heides, which isn't really that much harder to get through than Forest.

Also the Forest entrance is literally right there. Much close to the bonfire than any other path. I don't know how I missed it.

I remember having a lot of trouble with Heides my first time through because they changed how iframes worked so I kept loving up my dodge timing and I struggled to adjust. it's also easy to get overwhelmed by all the big dudes, especially for a first timer.

the entrance to the forest area is super easy to miss because it's a tiny path behind a wall on the edge of a cliff. if you miss it the first time you sit at that bonfire I think you'll almost certainly end up exploring the rest of Majula and concluding that Heides is the only place you can actually go

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Very confused at people being like "You're not SUPPOSED to go to this area yet," like that's a recognizable concept on most Metroidvanias and Dark Soulses. If you can get there, you're "supposed" to be there, barring unexpected sequence breaks and whatnot. In Dark Souls especially, like thirty levels of advancement means you'll be killing the enemies in one, maybe even two fewer hits, and even that's not guaranteed.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I rememeber making some pretty ballsy forays into the hot bits of norfair as a kid, all the while wondering why this game was suddenly so bullshit

Edit: games like that absolutely expect you to explore, but they also expect that you'll funnel down the path of least resistance eventually

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nibel (sort of) chimed in to the Scalebound thing, and I tend to take a bit more notice when he responds to these things:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1097587131948642304
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1097612326121934848
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1097618160767901696

edit: That being said, Scalebound looked loving BORING when they showed it off at that one E3 so if this is the game Nintendo is resurrecting hopefully they do something about it not looking uh... fun

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

GreatGreen posted:

The absolute first thing you see when the crow drops you off at Firelink for the first time, down to the direction you face, is to your left a dead, chaotic looking tree and crumbling aqueduct-like structure, which cleans up and becomes larger as you look farther towards the right edge of the screen, and it also even shows an NPC there if the architecture isn't enough, drawing your attention to your right and suggesting that's where you should go.

Then, when you go and speak to the NPC, you're presented with an inviting staircase right next to him, which is the first real suggestion of an identifiable pathway you see.

Except people playing videogames usually have working brains and don't just go continuously forward. You'd swivel the camera around some and hit the bonfire before you do any of that. If you swivel the camera around, you see a shiny item and you go get it.

Also using your logic, players would be "herded" down the stairs to the Firekeeper and then to New Londo because those stairs are just as close, to the left on your last picture.

I mean, do you really assume most players don't look around at all? Open world games were super common around 2011 when DS1 came out. Exploring areas was a reflex by that point. DS1 was clearly not a sidescroller.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

repiv posted:

Valves official branch of Source doesn't support the Switch, but Respawns Titanfall/Apex branch is so heavily modified at this point that they'd probably have to port it from scratch regardless.

Stanley Parable is getting a port and that's Source.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

John Lee posted:

Very confused at people being like "You're not SUPPOSED to go to this area yet," like that's a recognizable concept on most Metroidvanias and Dark Soulses. If you can get there, you're "supposed" to be there, barring unexpected sequence breaks and whatnot. In Dark Souls especially, like thirty levels of advancement means you'll be killing the enemies in one, maybe even two fewer hits, and even that's not guaranteed.

Unless you put all your points in Resistance. Don't do this if you're new to the game, it's worthless. :ughh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

I mean, do you really assume most players don't look around at all?

I have no stake in this Dark Souls discussion cause I have no interest in the game, but to respond to this question... uh yes? Isn't that one of the more famous bits about the behind the scenes of Half Life 2 or Portal or whichever it was where they had to come up with ways to get the player to look in specific direction (in the game's case, looking up) because players WOULDN'T look around? I think more players than you think just take what's presented to them right away and go with it.

I mean to give an example of me being dumb about that kind of thing, I recently played through Life is Strange 2: Episode 2, and at the end got a thing that was like "you didn't encourage Daniel enough to use his powers" and I was like drat, I must have told him no too many times. But then I watched someone else play the episode and it turns out there were like 5 little interactions in the area that I just never noticed but were clearly right in front of my face that would've changed that.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

I hope Mario is floating upside down in a t-pose in some ridiculoudly hard to access room where the narrator floridly describes all the ways that you, Stanley, are just such utter poo poo for like 15 minutes

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve yet to be disappointed by a Kamiya directed game. So I have faith he’ll be able to make a good game starring dragons and fake Dante.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Macaluso posted:

I have no stake in this Dark Souls discussion cause I have no interest in the game, but to respond to this question... uh yes? Isn't that one of the more famous bits about the behind the scenes of Half Life 2 or Portal or whichever it was where they had to come up with ways to get the player to look in specific direction (in the game's case, looking up) because players WOULDN'T look around? I think more players than you think just take what's presented to them right away and go with it.

I mean to give an example of me being dumb about that kind of thing, I recently played through Life is Strange 2: Episode 2, and at the end got a thing that was like "you didn't encourage Daniel enough to use his powers" and I was like drat, I must have told him no too many times. But then I watched someone else play the episode and it turns out there were like 5 little interactions in the area that I just never noticed but were clearly right in front of my face that would've changed that.

I lost a lot of the effect of FEAR because I never looked where they wanted.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Treasure tracker is so insanely cute :allears:

The motion control cursor in docked mode is some rear end tho :negative:

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Playing through Half-Life 2 with directors commentary on is really interesting. They do some amazing stuff with lighting, birds flying at you and all sorts to get your attention on where to go. It's amazing level design and as they are linear narrative driven games they are great.

Miyazaki (Dark Souls Director) described his vision for Dark Souls to be different. He used to borrow English books from the library and was unable to read all of the text in the book, so he would have to make up the bits he couldn't fully understand. This meant that he created his own story and adventure. This is the approach Dark Souls takes, similar to the first Legend of Zelda. You can go anywhere right away - it's up to you as a player to make the story you want to make. If you want to keep on trying to beat the Skeletons then you can keep on trying - it's all about what you take away from the experience.

It's a different kind of game to Half-Life. They could've done a lot more to make it obvious, and of course players can explore as much as they want to. At the end of the day it's up to the player what they want to do. I found it really fun to play through the opening sections with my brother, just like we used to on older Nintendo games back in the day. He was able to get me through to the Taurus Demon and then I was hooked all by myself and went exploring. Ended up in the Valley of the Drakes too early, but pushed on and ended up in Blighttown and accidentally rung the bells in the wrong order :shrug: it was fun though :D

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GreatGreen posted:

/sees orange lines on the ground

/tries jumping

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i tried every dark souls and loving hated every one until a friend picked up DS3 and we decided to just co-op our way through it, and it was extremely fun. i think the combination of the difficulty and frustration being offset by having a partner to forge through it with you really opened things up, as well as someone else to analyze the esoteric mechanics and experiment with different things without feeling like it was too much of a risk of wasting time and progress

even then, we moved on to bloodborne and just kind of ran out of steam 75% of the way through. i absolutely understand why they're so beloved now, but they're exhausting, time-consuming games of the type that i just don't think i have the time or will for anymore

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Look Sir Droids posted:

Except people playing videogames usually have working brains and don't just go continuously forward.

lol

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The more people can't shut the gently caress up about dark souls the more I don't want to touch it with a lovely stick

Deified Data posted:

Alright I won't stress about the sequence I do poo poo in Hollow Knight then. If the general rule is "if you can reach it you're expected to be able to beat it" I can work with that.

To add to this generally optional bosses will be obvious because you can literally run by them or have to interact with them in some way to start the fight, ones that are necessary will have doors slam down on you and usually be at a logical end point of whichever area you're discovering

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Except people playing videogames usually have working brains and don't just go continuously forward. You'd swivel the camera around some and hit the bonfire before you do any of that. If you swivel the camera around, you see a shiny item and you go get it.

Also using your logic, players would be "herded" down the stairs to the Firekeeper and then to New Londo because those stairs are just as close, to the left on your last picture.

I mean, do you really assume most players don't look around at all? Open world games were super common around 2011 when DS1 came out. Exploring areas was a reflex by that point. DS1 was clearly not a sidescroller.

My gaming experience is usually "gently caress You Game, I'll go everywhere I can BEFORE the place you want me to go", in an attempt to avoid advancing the story or missing something. I have yet to play Dark Souls, but this is how I played HK and it was great because I just went about finding more and more things to do. Most games run out of options pretty fast before forcing you to the next checkpoint/cut-scene starter. I also tried this in BotW, saying NOPE to the mission telling me to go east to a village; I ended up going SW and all around clock-wise before finally getting to the village. I didn't realize at the time just how free BotW is.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Macaluso posted:

Fair enough.

Dark Souls, to me, is a far different game than the three you mentioned. It doesn't put you on a path or tell you The One Place You Should Go. If you are unobservant and don't look around, Dark Souls probably isn't going to be your game no matter what path you take first. The point is, the game doesn't "herd" you to any particular path. And there are things built in, like player messages, that help you not choose the harder path.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

It might be, but they haven't committed to it yet.

Stanley posted:

DID YOU SAY CONSOLES?

Yep! We haven’t finalized which consoles specifically, but we’re doing our best to bring the game to ~*YOUR FAVORITE*~. Whichever home video game console puts a smile in your heart, we’re probably in conversation with them already.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

The more people can't shut the gently caress up about dark souls the more I don't want to touch it with a lovely stick

that'll show 'em

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Not playing a game to own the libs

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
When all of the discussions about it devolve into lengthy debates about how various aspects of it suck/don't suck/are actually a masterstroke in game design you're just not looking at it in the right way I don't feel I'm missing out by not wanting to get over however long the initial 'hope I start enjoying this soon' hump is

Or if I am, that's fine, I can't like everything

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

Not playing a game to own the libs

lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

When all of the discussions about it devolve into lengthy debates about how various aspects of it suck/don't suck/are actually a masterstroke in game design you're just not looking at it in the right way I don't feel I'm missing out by not wanting to get over however long the initial 'hope I start enjoying this soon' hump is

drat you’re right it is crazy that people discuss various ways they think the game is good or bad. That is pretty annoying.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Also it's a fun and easy way to get people pissy

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Fallom posted:

drat you’re right it is crazy that people discuss various ways they think the game is good or bad. That is pretty annoying.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/473265809079693312?lang=en

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Puppeteering to own the libs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Project H.A.M.M.E.R. would be so easy to do. The problem was they couldn't figure out how to do hammer-based gameplay, and I'm like, just play Monster Hunter! make it timing based action where you have to commit to big attacks. Add lots of destructible environments, a couple big action setpieces where you have to take out pillars to bring a building down on a bad guy, it would be fantastic! Just maybe drop the dumb mid-2000s plot they were going with

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Oh man if that scalebound rumor is true, i hope they stick to the original design instead of MS' bastardized need for multiplayer, and make it single player.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

platinum juggling 3 different projects doesn't sound like good news to me

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bayonetta 3, Astral Chain, Babylon's Fall, and Scalebound.

edit: also Wikipedia informs me they have 2 mobile games in development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Bayonetta 3, Astral Chain, Babylon's Fall, and Scalebound.

edit: also Wikipedia informs me they have 2 mobile games in development

woof

taking bets now, which of these is gonna be the tmnt-tier game and which will achieve the highs of 'transformers devastation' mediocrity