Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Is there a mod for Forge that allows an admin to mark off certain areas of the map where it forces a player as long as they are in the zone in Adventure Mode? On my server I am working on five different dungeons that have items that open up a sixth dungeon, but I'd like to avoid players just tunneling through like jerks and go through the place without making bedrock blocks with new skins (a complaint by a majority last map since one person just tunneled through the dungeons and get items, so people went through legit and got to the end only to get a wet fart since the dungeons are obvious if they have been cleared).

I was able to replicate it with Command Blocks but it's not 100% consistent and results in some wonky situations during testing (player /homes in a dungeon they stay in Adventure Mode, a real issue).

We are running 1.12.2 right now, but I have yet to find anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Is there a mod for Forge that allows an admin to mark off certain areas of the map where it forces a player as long as they are in the zone in Adventure Mode? On my server I am working on five different dungeons that have items that open up a sixth dungeon, but I'd like to avoid players just tunneling through like jerks and go through the place without making bedrock blocks with new skins (a complaint by a majority last map since one person just tunneled through the dungeons and get items, so people went through legit and got to the end only to get a wet fart since the dungeons are obvious if they have been cleared).

I was able to replicate it with Command Blocks but it's not 100% consistent and results in some wonky situations during testing (player /homes in a dungeon they stay in Adventure Mode, a real issue).

We are running 1.12.2 right now, but I have yet to find anything.

Cop-out answer, but do your adventure mode players need tunneling tools in the first place?

If it's a matter of crafting them, craft tweaker can add and remove recipes, so you can take away recipes.

There's also https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/unbreakable , something I found with a little Googling. Dunno how well it works.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Cop-out answer, but do your adventure mode players need tunneling tools in the first place?

If it's a matter of crafting them, craft tweaker can add and remove recipes, so you can take away recipes.

There's also https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/unbreakable , something I found with a little Googling. Dunno how well it works.

The server is a normal server with certain areas where they would need to be in Adventure Mode. So when not doing dungeons (or events I guess) they can mine, build, crash the server with huge auto-processing projects. Last map one player would just use a tinker's pickaxe or hammer to dig around obstacles since I did not make everything from bedrock.

I did find a solution, I just cooked up a new Dimension and set the Gamerule to be Adventure Mode if in the Dimension. Seems to let them jump back and forth and react accordingly with no lag. Instead of finding the dungeon on the overworld they just find a portal that takes them there.

Thanks though!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm not sure if it's weird that now that i've built a new computer one of my thoughts is 'maybe i can play modded minecraft without something catching on fire'

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I found out Tinkers' Construct 2 frying pans can charge up on right click to deliver some of the force they use to have. However, I still recall in the past sending mobs literally out of loaded space. Anybody else? Am I mad?

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm not sure if it's weird that now that i've built a new computer one of my thoughts is 'maybe i can play modded minecraft without something catching on fire'

I found a huge modpack was pretty good at putting bad RAM and a bad video card right on its rear end--moreso than some benchmarks I use professionally to beat on new processors.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I found out Tinkers' Construct 2 frying pans can charge up on right click to deliver some of the force they use to have. However, I still recall in the past sending mobs literally out of loaded space. Anybody else? Am I mad?

I found a huge modpack was pretty good at putting bad RAM and a bad video card right on its rear end--moreso than some benchmarks I use professionally to beat on new processors.

I remember skyblock versions of that. Where the pan did 0 damage but launched mobs.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Digging PO3 a lot. Aside from the idiotic ground pebbles at the beginning most resources are difficult to get but then aren't scarse soon after. 10 diamonds to infinite diamonds via magriculture was a good find, and thinking emeralds were scarse then noticing the dozen stacks from illager farming made that easier too.

Huge fan of the iron>gold>diamond furnace line, more mods should promote upgrades over identical rows of CPU killing machines.

One bit I don't like: heat sand. It's ridiculously good for lava gen, top three easy. And it's just lying around the nether, sometimes. If you get lucky. My luck sucks and I'm tempted to just cheat myself some because there's no reason to be in the oreless nether once you've gotten a pile of crystals and a drop of evil.

Speaking of oreless, where do you get redstone ore for the redstone flower? Laser it up or deep dark easier?

Oh, and prosperity shards, they're rareish and don't drop with diamond mesh. Any better way to get them?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Harik posted:

Speaking of oreless, where do you get redstone ore for the redstone flower? Laser it up or deep dark easier?

Oh, and prosperity shards, they're rareish and don't drop with diamond mesh. Any better way to get them?

Twilight Forest for both; they're part of normal worldgen there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Harik posted:

Huge fan of the iron>gold>diamond furnace line, more mods should promote upgrades over identical rows of CPU killing machines.
I've always felt I'd rather have one singular machine that gets faster/stronger over time than just build more and more and have them running in parallel. I think it was Agrarian Skies 1 or 2 that expected you to get a ton of cobblestone, but blacklisted the simplest/CPU-cheapest method, the Extra Utilities item pipe w/cobble upgrade, so you had to have dozens of thermal dynamics igneous extruders running side by side instead.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Harik posted:

oreless nether

Did I miss something in an update? Why is your nether oreless?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Harik posted:

Digging PO3 a lot. Aside from the idiotic ground pebbles at the beginning most resources are difficult to get but then aren't scarse soon after. 10 diamonds to infinite diamonds via magriculture was a good find, and thinking emeralds were scarse then noticing the dozen stacks from illager farming made that easier too.

If you really hate holding right-click on a dirt block for 2 minutes at the start of the pack you can always do it the standard ex nihilo way. Or not select a gog skyblock for your world type, which will force you to do it the old way. I much prefer a few minutes right-clicking a block to growing trees and sieving for an hour though!

Not really following your comments on heat sand either, it's extremely common in my nether. Nor is my nether oreless, though I'm pretty sure I got a bit of redstone from the initial manual sieving I did.

But yeah, my experience of project ozone 2 was that you got basically infinite resources in the first few hours, and it seems project ozone 3 only delays it a small amount.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Im just glad it's running in a much more stable version of MC. With PO2, I couldn't get very far in the pack before I hit a wall with lag.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Harik posted:

One bit I don't like: heat sand. It's ridiculously good for lava gen, top three easy. And it's just lying around the nether, sometimes. If you get lucky. My luck sucks and I'm tempted to just cheat myself some because there's no reason to be in the oreless nether once you've gotten a pile of crystals and a drop of evil.

Have you got to the armour page yet?

I have....kill me now.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
My biggest love for PO3 comes from the Skylands setup, which is 100% the best map generation setup.

AceClown posted:

I have....kill me now.

Yeah. I uh...Armor degrades, yo. This is a bad idea. I'm playing by myself so I'm just going to go ahead and wear it and if it dies I'll just cheat in a new one.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

My biggest love for PO3 comes from the Skylands setup, which is 100% the best map generation setup.

Yeah. I uh...Armor degrades, yo. This is a bad idea. I'm playing by myself so I'm just going to go ahead and wear it and if it dies I'll just cheat in a new one.

I had the exact same thought, I keep making like 5 tiers in a go then wearing what I have, when it's time to make more I just trash what I'm wearing and cheat in a fresh set.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

It does degrade, but that's why we have energetic infusers with the flux reconstruction upgrade. Pop it in, hit it with some liquid XP from your tome of knowledge, bam, good as new.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Speaking of Tomes of Knowledge, can you use them to charge a tinker's tool that has mending moss? I'm actually kind of baffled how the mending moss modifier is supposed to work now that it's no longer a purely passive thing.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Potsticker posted:

Speaking of Tomes of Knowledge, can you use them to charge a tinker's tool that has mending moss? I'm actually kind of baffled how the mending moss modifier is supposed to work now that it's no longer a purely passive thing.

A few versions ago I think Mending updated to use XP to repair your gear, which for most stuff is pretty passive still (swords, picks, etc).

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So it's just straight up the Mending enchant now? That's really disappointing.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's the mending enchant while also having an internal buffer for said xp.

If you're far enough along it's better to just make the item unbreakable with 5 reinforcements. Getting a weapon with the extra damage at low durability, wearing it down to 1 durability then making it unbreakable is how you currently get the highest damage weapons in ticon.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 18, 2019

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ah, that is a much better option. Thank you.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

AceClown posted:

I have....kill me now.
Yes I have. I had a squid farm for calamari->craft to fish->cook->dry to leather but then I just used the mob drops from my farm to get started. It's mostly a process of grab 24 of each metal with the occasional trip back to the smelter to alloy something to get through the normal metals, but I haven't gone all the way down the tree yet.

Squid farm is really easy, grab a couple stacks of cobble and ladders, ride the water down while placing a pillar, then make a 4x4 pool 30-ish blocks down. Squid spawn midair then die automatically.

Arkitektbmw posted:

Did I miss something in an update? Why is your nether oreless?

I have no idea. I'm running whatever is latest in Garden of Glass worldgen and the only ore in the nether I've seen is quartz crystals. I've vein-mined huge chunks out of the various netherrack flavors and found nothing. I've got soul sand, fortress bricks, glowstone, quartz, the nether trees, netherrack, magma rocks that I can never remember the name of and that's it.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Twilight Forest for both; they're part of normal worldgen there.
Ok, so I need to burn through embers which means I need to find out why my farm isn't spawning ancient golems. I'm doing the 1x20 strip with vector plates to prevent larger mobs from spawning, but that shouldn't prevent ancient golems. I wonder if it's due to using cursed earth and I just need a normal darkroom for the golems?

Falcon2001 posted:

I thought you could start at wherever with the armor core? I haven't tried breaking any yet.

I thought about skylands but I was worried about blood moons giving me poo poo. Although I suppose dirtrocks up a furnace, twerk some trees to charcoal and light the poo poo out of it is doable in a single minecraft day.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Harik posted:

Ok, so I need to burn through embers which means I need to find out why my farm isn't spawning ancient golems. I'm doing the 1x20 strip with vector plates to prevent larger mobs from spawning, but that shouldn't prevent ancient golems. I wonder if it's due to using cursed earth and I just need a normal darkroom for the golems?

No, cursed earth spawns 'em.

1. What biome is your spawn area in?
2. How high is the roof?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rynoto posted:

It's the mending enchant while also having an internal buffer for said xp.

If you're far enough along it's better to just make the item unbreakable with 5 reinforcements. Getting a weapon with the extra damage at low durability, wearing it down to 1 durability then making it unbreakable is how you currently get the highest damage weapons in ticon.

I thought you couldn't do that anymore? Tcon2 doesn't really let you put a lot of mods on items.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Harik posted:

Ancient Golems don't spawn in some biomes. I think Desert is one, not sure about others. I had them spawning just fine in a Deep Ocean biome.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

McFrugal posted:

I thought you couldn't do that anymore? Tcon2 doesn't really let you put a lot of mods on items.

It still works in Sevtech, at least, so it would have had to have been a very recent change if so.
Wouldn't be surprised if some packs would kill it off though as it's pretty broken.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Rynoto posted:

It still works in Sevtech, at least, so it would have had to have been a very recent change if so.
Wouldn't be surprised if some packs would kill it off though as it's pretty broken.

Oh I see, Reinforcement upgrades are 20% each. So you make a weapon with paper handle and guard to give you 5 slots total, make sure the head is a decent material, then get Jagged on it via embossment or just a prismarine part I guess.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh, another PO3 speedbump that I found out about yesterday -- apparently the chunk loading from FTB Utilities is disabled. That's the chunk loading where you open the inventory, click on the map in the upper left, then select chunks from an overhead map. Chicken chunks chunkloaders are in the pack instead. I have no idea why it's this way, but it is. :shrug:

Also, if you're looking for a place to set up an ember bore, the best dimension for them is the hunting dimension. It has flat bedrock and your portal spawns at something like y-level 6, so it's super easy to dig out a spot for it. Just make sure to bring a spot loader or something. Great for the bullshit ender io grains of infinity, too -- dump out a bucket of firewater that you got from a basic loot bag onto the bedrock and have a vacuumulator to suck up the goodies. Or do a dispenser with flints and steel, whatever.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

FTBU's chunk loader loads chunks unevenly, or not at all, and has been known to interfere with player claims. We disable it and use either chicken chunks or sponge on our servers.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Oh, another PO3 speedbump that I found out about yesterday -- apparently the chunk loading from FTB Utilities is disabled. That's the chunk loading where you open the inventory, click on the map in the upper left, then select chunks from an overhead map. Chicken chunks chunkloaders are in the pack instead. I have no idea why it's this way, but it is. :shrug:

Also, if you're looking for a place to set up an ember bore, the best dimension for them is the hunting dimension. It has flat bedrock and your portal spawns at something like y-level 6, so it's super easy to dig out a spot for it. Just make sure to bring a spot loader or something. Great for the bullshit ender io grains of infinity, too -- dump out a bucket of firewater that you got from a basic loot bag onto the bedrock and have a vacuumulator to suck up the goodies. Or do a dispenser with flints and steel, whatever.

Ender bore should work on the main dimension, just water elevator down and use an angel block around y=2 or so. Unless they changed something, all the streams drop it there to mine enough for the twilight forest portal gem.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Built my first AE2 network last night. Jumped in feet first, and managed to get some automated crafting set up. What's a good way to keep a certain stock of items in your system?

As in, I'd like it to craft x number of processors once I use them all up.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Arkitektbmw posted:

Built my first AE2 network last night. Jumped in feet first, and managed to get some automated crafting set up. What's a good way to keep a certain stock of items in your system?

That's one of the things AE (and RS) are weak at, actually. The best you can do is create a subnetwork specifically for crafting the thing, then use an ME interface on the subnetwork to keep X number of processors inside it. Then, slap a storage bus from your main network onto that subnetwork's interface.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Arkitektbmw posted:

Level emitter, set to turn on at X number of an item, pointing at an export bus that has a crafting card and a redstone card in it. Set the export bus to that item. Then point it at an interface, or any other existing setup you have for pulling items into the system. Now it'll craft that item whenever it goes below the number you set on your level emitter.

This is one of the jankier parts of AE, but it's part of the philosophy of not providing specialized blocks, just general tools that can be combined for a specialized purpose. Personally I think this is a common enough need that it should have a specialized tool, but ah well.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
anyone know a reason when playing project ozone 3 that my world might hang heading into the nether for the first time at 'loading terrain'?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

anyone know a reason when playing project ozone 3 that my world might hang heading into the nether for the first time at 'loading terrain'?

Does it work fine afterwards? If so, it just means your computer is choking on initial terrain generation for the nether.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Does it work fine afterwards? If so, it just means your computer is choking on initial terrain generation for the nether.

I can force close it, but it puts me before I go into the nether so I pretty much just can't get into the nether at all. Any work around for something like this? Maybe more memory for java or something? It doesn't output a crash log or anything.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I can force close it, but it puts me before I go into the nether so I pretty much just can't get into the nether at all. Any work around for something like this? Maybe more memory for java or something? It doesn't output a crash log or anything.

How much RAM are you giving it now, and how long are you waiting until you force close the game?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

How much RAM are you giving it now, and how long are you waiting until you force close the game?

around 8k and about 10 minutes

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Doorknob Slobber posted:

around 8k and about 10 minutes

8 gigs, I assume. Could you possibly be on a laptop with integrated graphics with 8 gigs being all of your memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

8 gigs, I assume. Could you possibly be on a laptop with integrated graphics with 8 gigs being all of your memory?

nah I've got 16 and a 970, I tried loading up a brand new world in creative mode and it hangs there too just in case it was something hosed up from a previous version or something