Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Just a psa, Epic Games store does have 2 factor authentication. Make sure to enable it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

NovemberMike posted:

The easiest way to describe it is that traditional lighting methods are like painting. If you're really, really good you can come close to simulating the way light falls, but even the masters can't get it perfect. Raytracing is taking a photo with a camera, even if you're really lovely you don't have to worry about the lighting being unrealistic.

I think that is a rather obscure way to explain raytracing.

Raytracing is simply the actual physical simulation of photons that we have in reality. poo poo comes from the sun or our pityful artificial light sources, hits a surface, gets bounced off (or not), gets into the eye, colors and objects appear. The difference here mostly is, that so far rasterization needed to fake all that which lead to tremendously great things but also only so far towards photrealism. Things like ambient occlusion for example are just there as an intermediate fake.

Here's a nice film from Disney explaining pathtracing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frLwRLS_ZR0
I think explaining modern lighting in rasterization/games is more "complicated" as raytracing, because the latter is just how light works and the former is some 20+ years artificial and amazing poo poo created by math wizards that kind of needs more knowledge of how images are processed in general.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haldolium posted:

Definitively not. The entire desert is more demanding as any point in the first area.

That's why I said "that early in the game."

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
https://youtu.be/GfcNaB-cxZw

The 1440p internal Benchmark on Extreme preset (incl. gameworks on) with RTX Ultra hammers the 2080Ti down to 48 fps.
So „can it run Crysis“ should be buried now for this Metro Exodus Benchmark.

The Ultra preset leads to ~62 fps and ingame to 80-100 fps. On a 1K Euro GPU at 2560x1440 :sludgepal:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mr.PayDay posted:

https://youtu.be/GfcNaB-cxZw

The 1440p internal Benchmark on Extreme preset (incl. gameworks on) with RTX Ultra hammers the 2080Ti down to 48 fps.
So „can it run Crysis“ should be buried now for this Metro Exodus Benchmark.

The Ultra preset leads to ~62 fps and ingame to 80-100 fps. On a 1K Euro GPU at 2560x1440 :sludgepal:

I wish we had more granular in-game graphics options, like actually being able to adjust individual settings such as anti-aliasing.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I’m mildly ashamed to admit I just submitted an EVGA step-up to go from a 2080 to a 2080Ti.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

haldolium posted:

I think that is a rather obscure way to explain raytracing.

Raytracing is simply the actual physical simulation of photons that we have in reality. poo poo comes from the sun or our pityful artificial light sources, hits a surface, gets bounced off (or not), gets into the eye, colors and objects appear. The difference here mostly is, that so far rasterization needed to fake all that which lead to tremendously great things but also only so far towards photrealism. Things like ambient occlusion for example are just there as an intermediate fake.

Here's a nice film from Disney explaining pathtracing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frLwRLS_ZR0
I think explaining modern lighting in rasterization/games is more "complicated" as raytracing, because the latter is just how light works and the former is some 20+ years artificial and amazing poo poo created by math wizards that kind of needs more knowledge of how images are processed in general.

That's how it works but not what it means for games. The end user doesn't see any of that.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zane posted:

yes i've had similar issues. i eventually 'recovered' my account that i don't remember creating. it turns out either someone from thailand made an account with my e-mail address or their back-end is all sorts of hosed up.

Ya mine was registered to some dude in thailand as well... Whatever, I recovered it and made a strong pw and enabled 2 factor...

Shopped around looking for a steam key but no luck, oh well I'm bored enough to risk it.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's why I said "that early in the game."

Oh, misread that then, sorry.

NovemberMike posted:

That's how it works but not what it means for games. The end user doesn't see any of that.

I think it doesn't hurt to know a thing or two about how pretty pictures are really getting on the screen.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 18, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I wish we had more granular in-game graphics options, like actually being able to adjust individual settings such as anti-aliasing.

I was surprised there was no mention of anti-aliasing because its such a performance heavy option. Also now that im on a 27" monitor @ 1440p, having AA off isn't as bad as I remember when I was on 1280x1024. The benefit of sharper images outweighs the slight blurriness of AA, and gives me like a 15-20fps boost.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

buglord posted:

I was surprised there was no mention of anti-aliasing because its such a performance heavy option. Also now that im on a 27" monitor @ 1440p, having AA off isn't as bad as I remember when I was on 1280x1024. The benefit of sharper images outweighs the slight blurriness of AA, and gives me like a 15-20fps boost.

Post AA methods are usually pretty soft on performance and Exodus is probably using some sort of TAA that doesn't kill your framerate. I really don't miss that option but sure a few others.

/heres a nice interview for the tech (mainly the things for the new generation) of Metro: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-metro-exodus-tech-interview

haldolium fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 19, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The more I play this the more I like it, and if this game fails it's due to its marketing more than the game itself.

"Open World Metro" sounded god-awful, but it's kind of a lie? Yes you get put onto largish maps that you cross aboveground and there are side objectives, but that isn't really what "open world" means in the modern age. It's more GTA types that take that now, which means a gigantic continuous map. Here it's far tighter, with the maps being more like levels than anything else, which plays well for this style of game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

The more I play this the more I like it, and if this game fails it's due to its marketing more than the game itself.

"Open World Metro" sounded god-awful, but it's kind of a lie? Yes you get put onto largish maps that you cross aboveground and there are side objectives, but that isn't really what "open world" means in the modern age. It's more GTA types that take that now, which means a gigantic continuous map. Here it's far tighter, with the maps being more like levels than anything else, which plays well for this style of game.

I don't really know what to immediately compare the level structure to. The closest thing I can think of is obviously Stalker which I haven't played in years. it's unique and kind of it's own thing though. I really like it. it scratches the same itch as other games that I find really satisfying to explore like Dark Souls or Resident Evil. Not that it's anything like either of those. But it gives me the same vibes while I'm playing.

It's cool if you want to just explore a game for exploration's sake and not collectathon icon barf.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

CuddleCryptid posted:

Same. The game has a fantastic pace and it's own direction. One reason for that is that you have to discover the map mostly for yourself. It is not a checklist world from the Ubiverse, but an actual immersive environment that gives the descision to the player on what to do or not without artificial pressure in terms of progression systems. You know you'll find two types of ressources and maybe weapon parts which are often redundant. That makes exploration a lot more fun because it's an intrinsic motivation, not an outside pressure because there are still question marks and artificial progression to be farmed somewhere.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah, so far up to Volga the game is pretty much Stalker 2019. I’m really pleased.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Totally agree. I'm exploring because I find their environments and world building fascinating, not for XP or some poo poo. Although there is some really good stuff you can miss out there though. My curiosity has netted me most of my good gun attachments and suit upgrades.

It's really not something to do because it's "profitable" though. If anything it can be the opposite sometimes. It's worth doing cause it's fun.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Plus I like how the game gives you small upgrades frequently rather than doing some open world "Kill Six Bosses to Unlock" poo poo. It gives you the feeling that you are making progress by exploring, but also doesn't hit you so hard if you just go for the main story line since you might get an even better version soon.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finding that 4x scope out in the wild was 10 times more satisfying than anything a boss could drop in an RNG looty shooty game. Finally I could cower in the distance and kill poo poo like god intended.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

Yes, fight Steams monopoly by giving money to the anti-consumer storefront that leverages bought exclusivity instead of actually competing with Steam.

Do I think Valve could do with a lower cut? Sure. Do I think Epic is the solution? Nope.

Just going to point out, Valve has been sued and lost many cases on their own anti consumer practices. Hell the only reason refunds on steam are a thing is because they were sued. I'm not even gonna get into kids gambling and steam market money laundering.

Game chat: can someone further in tell me how big an impact killing folks makes? Is it gonna be like dishonored where stabbing people left and right gives me the bad ending?

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Feonir posted:

It is extremely easy to tell who you can kill and not. Are they armed and deserve to die? Fire away. Did they surrender, have no weapons, or are just defensive people? No killing. Tunnel trash? Murder freely. There I saved you a lot of over thinking the situation.

Never not kill bandits, unless it's an unarmed bandit.

Not always. At the church, they trapped me and had guns, someone should get shot. Even killing 1 person at the church penalized me, so redo in passive stealth mode. After that, every other mission they make it clear HEY PROBABLY SHOULD NOT KILL WHEN DOING THIS OP. ok roger that.

But on Caspian it got murky, and after the church episode it had me second guessing sometimes. Radio station you're supposed to show restrain, even though dude tried to smash my face in. And the lighthouse your supposed to not kill anyone, even though they have guns and are actively trying to kill your objective. And the faction names changed. Thug -OK kill. Slave - ok no kill. Tribal -wait are these bandits? Or wait are these the "combat trained slaves" the Baron was talking about? Maybe kill ok? They shot at me gently caress it.

Taiga it was back to cut and dry.

Klisejo fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 19, 2019

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I made the mistake of peacefully sneaking my way through the entire church encounter until it autosaved at the boat, and then choosing to gun down a few of the sentries since it was one of my first real encounters with Exodus NPCs. Of course, the game autosaves immediately after I kill 3 or 4 of them. I guess at least I didn't kill any of them after they surrendered.

I guess I could have started over (no quicksaves because of the difficulty level), but I had previously had the bright idea of spending a ton of time wandering around exploring the place before I actually went to visit the fish people.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does anyone else perceive weirdness with aim sensitivity? I feel like it varies with frame rate or *something*. It feels like there’s a certain level of weight or inertia to my mouse.

Vsync is off, GSYNC is enabled, I go from 50-90fps. Using a regular mouse. I highly doubt the “enhance mouse accuracy” setting is selected in the windows 10 options, but I have to check when I get home. No other game has this prob.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I love how it's "open" and curated at the same time. No meaningless, repetitive content for filler.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

buglord posted:

Does anyone else perceive weirdness with aim sensitivity? I feel like it varies with frame rate or *something*. It feels like there’s a certain level of weight or inertia to my mouse.

Vsync is off, GSYNC is enabled, I go from 50-90fps. Using a regular mouse. I highly doubt the “enhance mouse accuracy” setting is selected in the windows 10 options, but I have to check when I get home. No other game has this prob.

I think there is mouse acceleration couple with different x and y sensitivities.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I am so sad..

I finally got the parts to build myself a really decent (I think) sniper rifle.. 6x scope, long barrel with flash suppressor, 5 round mag, good stock for stability... Then before I ever get a chance to shoot it at even a single bad guy, I go and fall in the water and lose it (and everything else, except apparently my amazing flashlight and charger). I'm so sad now, except I have a crossbow which is cool. Then I had to call it a night to get some sleep before work...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So do the Cultists not attack you when they lock you in unless you attack first? I instantly annihilated all of them when I saw the guns and that they had trapped me. Didn't realize they were mostly chill until after that and running into them out in the wild.

The Locator posted:

I am so sad..

I finally got the parts to build myself a really decent (I think) sniper rifle.. 6x scope, long barrel with flash suppressor, 5 round mag, good stock for stability... Then before I ever get a chance to shoot it at even a single bad guy, I go and fall in the water and lose it (and everything else, except apparently my amazing flashlight and charger). I'm so sad now, except I have a crossbow which is cool. Then I had to call it a night to get some sleep before work...

Wait...Why would you lose your stuff from falling in the water? I think I've fallen into a lake like 20 times and never lost my stuff. Unless this is some plot related thing. In that case just don't tell me.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 19, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Wait...Why would you lose your stuff from falling in the water? I think I've fallen into a lake like 20 times and never lost my stuff.

You will understand later. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Word.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
You will get that gear back eventually, Metro games have and will seemingly always do that. You start with nothing, build it up, do a section where you lose it all then the finale is always.

"Here is all the candy, enjoy."

Mild non-descriptive spoilers about the ending.

The nice twist this time around is you REALLY REALLY need all the candy for the last stretch, holy poo poo do you ever need the candy. Unless you stay dedicated to stealth then it is just horrifyingly tense for a long time. Having played a lot of the prior two games I have to admit I was a little wondering if they had given up on the gently caress-with-your-brain-anomalies segments, but nope, just saved them up for hell time with Artyom's psyche. In the Dead city.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The spider level was disappointing because mutated Metro spiders are somehow less scary than real ones. C-.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

how well does this game run on a ps4 pro?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fyi you can go to the Options menu to change the QTEs so you only have to press the button once to complete them

you're welcome

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Fallom posted:

fyi you can go to the Options menu to change the QTEs so you only have to press the button once to complete them

you're welcome
Apparently there's quite a few folks who cant do QTEs because of physical handicaps so its nice to see more games adopting this.

I enjoy the fish cult people. Its kinda an old trope but it's probably the most absurd and "tsar-fish" sounds funny. I'm really getting a kick out of this game. Definitely scratching that Roadside Picnic itch. Game makes me wanna upgrade my GPU, but going from a 1070 to a 2070 seems fairly bad in value on a 1440p setup.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Anti-Hero posted:

I’m mildly ashamed to admit I just submitted an EVGA step-up to go from a 2080 to a 2080Ti.

Metro with RTX on looks incredible and seriously adds something to the visual immersion and atmosphere, and the 2080Ti allows the biggest frame push here.

Depending on the game(+ gfx engine) and resolution, you generally might get a 25-35% fps boost, so that’s a hobby and an enthusiasms invest of disposable income.
No shame there to admit imo. YOLO and enjoy :yayclod:

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Speaking of getting things back, my flash flight broke in the autumn level and... when does that come back?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

How do you change weapons at the train? What’s his name said the weapon locker is there but I only see the workbench and that doesn’t seem to do anything. I haven’t gone to the terminal yet so is it a progress thing?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

How do you change weapons at the train? What’s his name said the weapon locker is there but I only see the workbench and that doesn’t seem to do anything. I haven’t gone to the terminal yet so is it a progress thing?

Go to the attachments customization and scroll to the bottom. I think the symbol is a gear or something? You can swap weapons there.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Fallom posted:

you're welcome

What constitutes a QTE in this game? When a mutant jumps you and you have to hammer E a bunch of times? Or does it extend to things where you have to hold the key to open containers or what?

I got my stupid backpack back and rebuilt my sniper rifle.. It's as awesome as I was hoping, the sound is amazing, and with the 6x scope it really reaches out and touches people I don't like. The 2nd shot I took with it launched a pirates head about 20' in the air in an arc into the swamp... hell yea.. When I was going through the now absent of life camp, I found a rifle laying next to nothing except about 3/4 of an arm... muahaha...

I think the crossbow might be as good of a sniper rifle as the sniper rifle, but it's not nearly as awesome with sound and target effects.

I was so glad to get through that stupid pioneer camp where I wasn't supposed to kill anyone, as I got spotted very early on, and even camping out in a cave and waiting for over an entire day didn't take them off of high alert, so I had a hell of a time getting through that, and it took way too long, but I did manage it. Lots of dudes got punched in the face though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So at the end of the Volga there’s a locked door just before you end the area by going into the preacher’s room. Did anybody find a key for that? I’m already past it so kind of pointless but google doesn’t seem to know yet and putting something right at the end is way too curious to ignore.

Also it seems that killing a few guards in the church is okay as long as you’re good to them for the rest of the area, assuming I’m right about the dialogue at the end reflecting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

But they didn't say that in the marketing? In several interviews they were asked that, and they always said it wasn't a big open world, just big areas.