Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, trying to remember the last time I played it, I'm 50% sure I had just done a mission I didn't care for (when it comes to RTSes, I'm sorry, but I hate timed missions / missions that put a premium on YOU HAVE TO DO THIS NOW NO TIME FOR BUILDING UP A MURDERBALL), decided to not play for a while, and here I am months later.

Like, one of the things that is bugging me actually counts as content: I just started playing it again, and for the life of me I can't figure out the basic game verbs in Dungeons 3. It took me redoing the tutorial and trial-and-error to remember how to buy units ("Wait, is it like Dungeon Keeper? Are there portals I have to find? What do they look like?"), and it feels like every little thing that I know I once knew how to do is lost to me and it is bugging the poo poo out of me, holy poo poo.

(like, I had to look at the controls to find what was the Attack key to do an attack-move, since it wasn't A. aaaaaugh.)

Yeah, not sure how old you are but I'm kind of up there. I commute 2 hours a day to and from work and have a 7 year old son I'm co-parenting after my divorce. I live alone and can't stay up like I used to. There are certain games I can't play with my son around since a lot of them are sort of violent and inappropriate for his age.

I think the trick is to pick moments when you have unblocked time and not much to do and can really marathon some of these games without much interruption. I've been grinding the gently caress out of RE2 recently and even with a fairly tight game like that I still need a huge block of time to get into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can understand that. Even without a partner and/or children, just working full-time and having my own place to take care of means I sometimes feel like I don't have enough time to play video games. Intense story-based RPGs and the like I'll basically only play during the weekend.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, not sure how old you are but I'm kind of up there.

I'm not super old and all I've got is a partner and no kids; my issue is mostly that I tend to play games in blocks. For the next while-or-so I'll play nothing but {game}, then as I'm getting weary of that, I'll look at Steam or whatever and find that {game I haven't touched in ages} really slots in for what I'm interested in, until the cycle repeats and wow, playing {another game} is really my jam right now.

Half the problem I'm having now, really, is that I'm in that in-between phase where I don't really know what I want to play. I remember digging, say, Dungeons 3 a lot, but as I play it now I'm not entirely sure if I'm digging it right now.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Man Life is Strange 2 really covers a completely different more depressing topic doesn't it?

life is strange 2 is the most hilariously on the nose predictable garbage i've ever seen and it's so loving funny in just how garbage it is. I just wonder how they'll make all of your "important choices" not matter in the slightest right at the end this time

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I just ran across a special 'hidden / easter egg' challenge in Driver: San Francisco, took me a few tries to nail it. Figure there's a few folks would get 'Nam style flashbacks if they suddenly had to play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hzKXBzwyME

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

spit on my clit posted:

life is strange 2 is the most hilariously on the nose predictable garbage i've ever seen and it's so loving funny in just how garbage it is. I just wonder how they'll make all of your "important choices" not matter in the slightest right at the end this time

They don't have a time-travel out this time.

But hoo boy yeah Life is Strange 1 was good but the ending really didn't stick and relies on characters making a lot of assumptions that just so happen to be true.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

spit on my clit posted:

Oh please, that's a no-brainer with the themes it's playing with. In fact it works too well.

Doesn't matter what choices you make; it's a game that tackles themes of modern racism, you DEFINITELY get shot by a cop no matter what you do.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
seriously, I haven't seen any other game straw man this hard, it's so loving bad. It's like you look at the later seasons of the Walking Dead game and you think "How can I top the horrible characters in this?", except you immediately come up with the resolution of "I got it, I won't even make these guys act like they could ever be real people"

I'm going to bitch about a game that isn't putrid trash now: Dying Light is annoying on any difficulty that isn't normal because those annoying rear end virals will never stop spawning, and they're such a detriment to the game. I think the harder mode is just supposed to make more virals spawn when you make noise, except it feels like any weapon I use makes noise, especially modified weapons.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 03:45 on Feb 18, 2019

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Bit of a sequel, I think I figured out why I eventually dropped Dungeons 3: the ratio between units and your investment is all out of whack.

Since half the game's mechanics are based on it, take Dungeon Keeper. Now imagine you have to buy every unit, and every unit's bed takes up four squares instead of one, so you're getting about half the units you'd otherwise have*. Are half-the-units-you-have twice as strong as you figure? Nope, they are your basic mainline troop, and in a 1-to-1 fight with enemy units they'll get pasted as you'd expect. You have healers, but that requires a resource you have to get in the overworld (where your troops got pasted) to research them, and then they require their own two-by-two beds which means you need more space and more gold and another population upgrade and every map is dotted with way too much undiggable rock and aaaaaaaugh you're so charming why must you be so annoying.

* Which you only have pop space for because you bought an upgrade to your population limits... or two.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Feb 18, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I just ran across a special 'hidden / easter egg' challenge in Driver: San Francisco, took me a few tries to nail it. Figure there's a few folks would get 'Nam style flashbacks if they suddenly had to play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hzKXBzwyME

Son of a bitch.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

seriously, I haven't seen any other game straw man this hard, it's so loving bad. It's like you look at the later seasons of the Walking Dead game and you think "How can I top the horrible characters in this?", except you immediately come up with the resolution of "I got it, I won't even make these guys act like they could ever be real people"

I'm going to bitch about a game that isn't putrid trash now: Dying Light is annoying on any difficulty that isn't normal because those annoying rear end virals will never stop spawning, and they're such a detriment to the game. I think the harder mode is just supposed to make more virals spawn when you make noise, except it feels like any weapon I use makes noise, especially modified weapons.

I thought Virals were usually only attracted by gunshots, but guns make up for this by killing enemies super fast.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

spit on my clit posted:

Lol if you think any episodic game that says your decisions matter have then natter for more than 2 parts

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alpha protocol, always alpha protocol. Decisions mattered across different play areas right up until the end of the game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Len posted:

Lol if you think any episodic game that says your decisions matter have then natter for more than 2 parts

LiS 2 is really bad about it even by the standards of those games, though. So far, at least, of course we’re less than halfway through so they still have time to do something crazy and tie every little decision I’ve made together into some Butterfly Effect poo poo. But so far I can think of exactly one consequence of my choices that even seemed significant, and that was at the very end of the most recent episode so who knows how much of an effect it will actually have on the story going forward.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ilmucche posted:

Alpha protocol, always alpha protocol. Decisions mattered across different play areas right up until the end of the game.

Not an episodic game and also is a short game held together with gum and hopes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

LiS 2 is really bad about it even by the standards of those games, though. So far, at least, of course we’re less than halfway through so they still have time to do something crazy and tie every little decision I’ve made together into some Butterfly Effect poo poo. But so far I can think of exactly one consequence of my choices that even seemed significant, and that was at the very end of the most recent episode so who knows how much of an effect it will actually have on the story going forward.

I can see where Life is Strange 2 is going with its choice --> consequence system and I think it's really ambitious. Even in the second episode Daniel begins to make a lot of autonomous choices for himself that are dependent upon a pretty complex combination of previous interactions. Whether or not Daniel swears, or cheats, or steals, or hides his power, or chooses to help people, or even listens to what you say at all are dependent upon a combination of earlier decisions you've made as Sean. The nature of these interactions are far more subtle than in LiS 1 because there's no rewind button that spells out this is the direct consequence of your actions here, but I think what it's eventually going to build up to is a climactic episode where Daniel's path is entirely built upon what you have seen and modeled to him as an older brother. Already I've seen way more permutations of scenes through the first two episodes of LiS 2 than in the first game and its prequel, just going by other people's streams. I could be proven wrong, but I totally see what Dontnod are trying to do.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I can see where Life is Strange 2 is going with its choice --> consequence system and I think it's really ambitious. Even in the second episode Daniel begins to make a lot of autonomous choices for himself that are dependent upon a pretty complex combination of previous interactions. Whether or not Daniel swears, or cheats, or steals, or hides his power, or chooses to help people, or even listens to what you say at all are dependent upon a combination of earlier decisions you've made as Sean. The nature of these interactions are far more subtle than in LiS 1 because there's no rewind button that spells out this is the direct consequence of your actions here, but I think what it's eventually going to build up to is a climactic episode where Daniel's path is entirely built upon what you have seen and modeled to him as an older brother. Already I've seen way more permutations of scenes through the first two episodes of LiS 2 than in the first game and its prequel, just going by other people's streams. I could be proven wrong, but I totally see what Dontnod are trying to do.

I think you’re right and that’s why I’m still playing it and giving it the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I should watch some streams and see how the more subtle stuff changes, I expect the grandparents might not have been as charmed by Daniel if I hadn’t been so strict with him about manners and language, for example. But there’s a lot of big story beats that feel a lot more railroaded than it should, like being forced to go to the market even though it’s an obviously bad idea. Any of these games would have still had you get noticed and have to run from the police whether you went or not, but most would have had a different path to get you there instead of just having you go whether you say yes or no.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god, was Far Cry 5 actually trying to make some sort of Spec Ops The Line point about violence? That would be hilarious if the ending weren't so absolutely awful. On the plus side, the experience has really made me want to play 4 again.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I thought Virals were usually only attracted by gunshots, but guns make up for this by killing enemies super fast.

Thats what you'd think, but a lot of modified weapons end up emitting some loving kind of sound when their elemental ability goes off (hence all the screaming in the distance and the weird pulse on your guy on the minimap), which leads to hundreds of those loving virals bursting out of the buildings in the old city every loving step of the way. I wouldn't hate them so much if they weren't so annoyingly vocal and didn't do their annoying gymnastics whenever you attempt to smack them.

Sunswipe posted:

Oh my god, was Far Cry 5 actually trying to make some sort of Spec Ops The Line point about violence? That would be hilarious if the ending weren't so absolutely awful. On the plus side, the experience has really made me want to play 4 again.

I thought the point was more that if you became the guy Joseph kept saying you were, then he would end up being right about the apocalypse, but if you proved him wrong, right at the end, then maybe the apocalypse would never have happened.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

I don't think even the writers of FC5 knew what point they were trying to make.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

spit on my clit posted:

I thought the point was more that if you became the guy Joseph kept saying you were, then he would end up being right about the apocalypse, but if you proved him wrong, right at the end, then maybe the apocalypse would never have happened.

Haha that summary sounds way more rad than the lazy mess I vaguely remember skipping through in favor of gameplay, to the point where I can't even remember whether or not I even bothered to finish it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't think even the writers of FC5 knew what point they were trying to make.

Yeah it really felt like a "subvert your expectations" gotcha.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah it really felt like a "subvert your expectations" gotcha.
FC3 and FC4 also did this but, like 5, they were too stupid to pull it off.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

FactsAreUseless posted:

Didn't feel quite to the same degree but I get your point.

3 is a bad ending only if you betray your friends which i think is pretty expected. 4 foreshadows that both these people kinda suck but it does suffer from a similar damned if you do damned if you dont that 5 does.

Actually so does 2 come to think of it

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

FC2 has redemption.
FC5 is nothing matters.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Far Cry 6 will win over the masses because the theme will be "We took our heads out of asses, so go have fun". Also you can choose to kill any character who introduces himself as the wacky comic-relief.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Far Cry 6 will win over the masses because the theme will be "We took our heads out of asses, so go have fun". Also you can choose to kill any character who introduces himself as the wacky comic-relief.
I deliberately didn't do the mission to unlock Hurk as a partner and the fucker still showed up at the end. Although I did appreciate getting to shoot that CIA dick, Huntley, at last.

FactsAreUseless posted:

May Pagan's light one day show you the glory of 4.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I liked Huntley in 3 when he was strongly implied to just be some crazy guy running around pretending to be a CIA agent. 4 and 5 explicitly making him an agent was lame

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
In Total Warhammer, almost every unit has a niche, except for several instances of two units that are the same in almost every way, including name, but one carries shields. The ones with shields have extra defenses with no disadvantage on the battlefield, they just cost more to recruit and maintain.

And there's no way to give shields to one of the unshielded versions in the campaign that you may have started with. You can disband them and recruit the shielded version, but then you lose out on any experience they had. It bugs me.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sunswipe posted:

May Pagan's light one day show you the glory of 4.
It's the strongest of the later FC games - 1 and 2 are different enough that it's hard to compare - but a lot of the writing is still bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wish I didn't have a lovely memory so I could think of more examples to make this not seem like just making GBS threads on new things but I hate the concept of games that give you a predator that's laser focused on you and also both doesn't care about the enemies you're fighting and is never attacked by them at all. For example Mr X in the Resident Evil 2 games. I like being able to make two different AIs fight against each other, I've never played a Far Cry game besides Blood Dragon but being able to throw meat and get a tiger to charge through a base and maul everyone is cool as hell. I don't like 2 on 1 battles like that. I prefer free for alls.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

The problem with FC5's story is that none of the "Joseph Seed is right" stuff works when he's actively torturing and murdering people.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'd be fine with a story where it turns out God is pretty much evil and on the side of the cult leader but Ubisoft is definitely not able to deliver whatever it was they were aiming for.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So a JRPG

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Leal posted:

So a JRPG

was about to say

Killing God is that-a-way.

Maybe even YHWH, if you're playing a MegaTen.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

No killing God, just a bleak ending.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
From yesterpahe, but:
Kingdom Hearts will never have older OR newer Final Fantasy characters nor characters from any other Square Enix property because Tetsuya Nomura would rather die, or more likely have his series crash and burn, than include a non-Disney character that he didn't design.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

PubicMice posted:

From yesterpahe, but:
Kingdom Hearts will never have older OR newer Final Fantasy characters nor characters from any other Square Enix property because Tetsuya Nomura would rather die, or more likely have his series crash and burn, than include a non-Disney character that he didn't design.

note that he does this more because he feels uncomfortable using other people's characters in ways they might not like than any kind of ego thing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also Walt Disney didn't want crossovers or characters interacting like things are a production so no Stitch arm wrestling Hercules or watching Cruella De Ville getting tackled by a lion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

PubicMice posted:

From yesterpahe, but:

Kingdom Hearts 2 included Vivi and Setzer, which he didn't design. Dream Drop Distance included characters from The World Ends With You, a non-FF S-E game that he admittedly did do character design for.