Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chester Alan Arthur was president from 1881 to 1885, he was not a popular president.
Also, Last Week Tonight is back for season six where John Oliver will most likely use HBO's money to buy more stupid poo poo. Hopefully the dog supreme court will make a comeback. There will probably be a lot of stupid mascots (the We Got Him Tiger is probably too depressed to return though). This will also be the year where he finally exposes the Olsen Twins Conspiracy (it's really only one girl).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Was that Stephen Fry doing the Churchill-ish bit at the end?

So glad it's back. I'm not even from the US and I know Chester A. Arthur was a president (I saw Die Hard 3.)

One thing that really stood out to me personally was how John plows through the audience's hooting and hollering and it made me really glad after suffering through Colbert's insufferable audience.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you would like to know more about Chester A Arthur (and other Presidents), there's a thread for that

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849787&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The Breunion boys gave me life. That was amazing. Solid episode all around; glad it's back.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
The only reason I knew Chester A. Arthur was a president was Die Hard 3.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Stare-Out posted:

Was that Stephen Fry doing the Churchill-ish bit at the end?

Ya I'm pretty drat sure it was Stephen Fry.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Norwegian Rudo posted:

The only reason I knew Chester A. Arthur was a president was Die Hard 3.

Same

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S47gxS3wPo&t=4s

Anyway, super glad this show is back.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm not gonna lie, I want to watch Gogglebox now. And I'm afraid someone will try to do a US equivalent.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Figured you guys might like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nFI2Zb7qE

Spoilers: Tucker Carlson is a giant babyman.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
He's insanely poo poo but not even the worst on his current channel and that is depressing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Madurai posted:

I'm not gonna lie, I want to watch Gogglebox now. And I'm afraid someone will try to do a US equivalent.

I watched one episode of the Australian version because my parents and sisters all watch it, and it's loving terrible. Just a bunch of people watching TV shows they don't like and complaining about them.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Tiggum posted:

Just a bunch of people watching TV shows they don't like and complaining about them.

So, basically TV IV? :rimshot:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I feel like we don’t need this show to learn that psychics are full of poo poo.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
John Edwards is terrible. No the other one.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mcmagic posted:

I've been a fan of James Randi (super psychic debunker) for decades so I sure didn't need any convincing but I was shocked to learn that it was still a $2 billion industry.

I guess they almost could have covered it via one of their "How is this still a thing?" interstitial segments but the fact that they're ripping off so many people every day and it's still an ongoing issue meant that they had to go into it with a bit more depth, plus I'm sure they were pretty eager to make use of all that awesome footage they'd dug up.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

mcmagic posted:

40% of Americans apparently do

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's like they were about to go after religion bit got cold feet and instead picked an even easier target.

Too bad they didn't use the one clip of a medium telling a 9/11 victims family that the guy drowned in the ocean.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mcmagic posted:

But it's still fun to watch them being dunked on.

banned from Starbucks posted:

It's like they were about to go after religion bit got cold feet and instead picked an even easier target.

They had an episode about televangelists though.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ah true

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The ending skit was nowhere near as funny as the clips of psychics getting caught I prefer psychics more in science fiction, where writers make stories about humanity eventually evolving to move things with our minds, but that's died off lately.

Azhais posted:

If you would like to know more about Chester A Arthur (and other Presidents), there's a thread for that

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849787&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

There was a really good thread once about going through every presidential election and having goons vote on them. I think it petered off before Chester A. Arthur though. Notable events were John Adams getting elected 4 times in a row and the first republican president getting elected 4 years early with John C. Frémont.

It was interesting to see how many presidents nominally abhorred slavery until the one who did America's biggest single act of genocide, and how slavery made national elections devolve into a pathetic mess of idiots aggressively saying nothing about one of the most important issues of the time.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Holy poo poo, that litany Russia of funny names Trump might for countries Russia was a drat good bit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Skippy McPants posted:

Holy poo poo, that litany Russia of funny names Trump might for countries Russia was a drat good bit.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Pat Collins truly is the worst. He's a real life Kent Brockman.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Luckily my job can't be automated:smuggo:

gently caress

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Alhazred posted:

Luckily my job can't be automated:smuggo:

gently caress

Nah you're ok.

https://video.twimg.com/tweet_video/C6fpO3fXQAAPYb0.mp4

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I felt like the automation bit was a weirdly shallow dive, almost like they went in with an angle that didn't really pan out and just decided to run with what they had. Most of the automation that takes place isn't swapping a person for a robot, it's using software to do 1/3 of the responsibilities of 3 people, then getting rid of one of them and splitting what's left between the remaining 2. This type of automation is going to affect white collar professions just as much as factory employees.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think it was an alright segment. Kinda weird to tie Donald Trump into it, because he has no relation to it beyond being a shitbag who does not care in any way for the American people or human beings in general. A lot of the time when people talk automation, they get wrapped up in futurism, so it was nice to have a measured take on things.

Also I like how that one reporter has ascended to the next level past coming up with puns to introduce segments with.

Baronash posted:

Most of the automation that takes place isn't swapping a person for a robot, it's using software to do 1/3 of the responsibilities of 3 people, then getting rid of one of them and splitting what's left between the remaining 2.

More like taking 1/4 of the responsibilities and then firing 1 and putting the 2 others on overdrive.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

You're assuming that Alhazred does anything different from that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Baronash posted:

I felt like the automation bit was a weirdly shallow dive, almost like they went in with an angle that didn't really pan out and just decided to run with what they had. Most of the automation that takes place isn't swapping a person for a robot, it's using software to do 1/3 of the responsibilities of 3 people, then getting rid of one of them and splitting what's left between the remaining 2. This type of automation is going to affect white collar professions just as much as factory employees.

Yeah, it was a weak week. Still love JO though

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

You're assuming that Alhazred does anything different from that.
The robot has better accuracy.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I thought it was a lot stronger than the segment on how psychics are lame, which I thought was just kinda regurgitating info we've known for years and years. I'm surprised he didn't get more topical with automation, though, and linked it to some of the GND proposals like basic income and free education. It is hard for people to get their heads around the idea that not only will we eventually not have enough jobs to go around, but eventually their unskilled labor might not be worth anything anymore.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Kind of a swing and a miss episode and tying the topic of automation to Trump seemed pretty limp-wristed and the "naming countries crazily" joke wore out its welcome like two in. But hey, season low-point, one of them's gotta be it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Phenotype posted:

I thought it was a lot stronger than the segment on how psychics are lame, which I thought was just kinda regurgitating info we've known for years and years. I'm surprised he didn't get more topical with automation, though, and linked it to some of the GND proposals like basic income and free education. It is hard for people to get their heads around the idea that not only will we eventually not have enough jobs to go around, but eventually their unskilled labor might not be worth anything anymore.

You kind of answered your first point with the second. People "losing their jobs" to automation aren't thinking very hard or critically about what benefits could arise of this new world order (not sure what I expect out of late stage capitalism here, but we'll see).

Similarly, people tend not to think too hard or critically about psychics. They just know whether or not they think they're for real. Yes, from our cozy intellectual internet bubbles we all know about things like cold reading, but tons of people don't. For gently caress's sake, I know this one woman who is smart and educated and about to get her master's in education. She's into Ghost Hunters because she thinks it must be real. Her boyfriend and another friend have patiently explained why it can't be, and she's still fully into it.

Yes, she is in fact smart. I promise.

So it's not even that the HBO-watching bubble matches the protected-by-stairs bubble. It doesn't. As much as this poo poo is old news for a lot of us, there's still damage being done and JO's solemn duty is to prevent it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Psychics are like the lottery. Pretty equal chances you're going to get rich playing their game, and they exist solely to be the entity that parts fools from their money

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm cool with the lottery. That money mostly goes to tax-funded things like public schools.

Did you know that Nevada does not have a lottery? Bet the Gaming Commission had nothing to do with that. Regardless, Vegas residents have to drive to Nipton, CA to get lottery tickets, and if you've ever played Fallout: New Vegas, the lottery held in Nipton is a direct reference to this.

Sorry to derail. Regardless, lotto money goes to kids and psychic money goes to crystal ball manufacturers. Maybe some Tarot card designers. And incense makers.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought this was ok, of course it's a shallow look at the topic, they have what, like 20 minutes to cover it and make jokes? But he covered all the main angles at least. Way better than psychics which was the most "no poo poo" segment ever.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Again/also...when was the last time society lost its collective poo poo over psychics? Was that the Warwick 1-900 nonsense in the late 90's? Even if we were there for it, a lot of people weren't, and those people watch poo poo like that bleachy-hair Matt Lauer fan who apparently has his own show.

Just because we're not the target audience doesn't mean it sucked.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

While basic income and things like that would be good, I don't think we're anywhere near the "end of work" that futurists think automation is leading us towards. Mostly because in the absence of meaningful reasons to push money around, people will figure out meaningless reasons to push money around. A lot of the financial industry seems like that.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'm cool with the lottery. That money mostly goes to tax-funded things like public schools.

Well, there was a little show that had an episode on how the introduction of the lottery didn't really increase the amount of funding for education and just enabled tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, shifting the burden from people who could afford to pay their taxes to people with addiction issues and hopeless lives that they desperately want an escape from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PK-netuhHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, there was a little show that had an episode on how the introduction of the lottery didn't really increase the amount of funding for education and just enabled tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, shifting the burden from people who could afford to pay their taxes to people with addiction issues and hopeless lives that they desperately want an escape from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PK-netuhHA

Well-played. I either don't remember or didn't watch that one. Hard to keep my angry political TV views straight.

I do know that the lottery in...either Spain or Portugal, is something of an annual national event that almost serves as a cultural focal point. I get the impression that a lottery is the sort of thing that goes corrupt really quickly, but can be used for good and that possibility (and maybe even a history thereof) is a part of what keeps a lot of people complacent.

Like with automation :v: