Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Edit: Tried to order Brahmas from a cheap online shop based in France, but they have an agreement with Blizzard to not sell stateside. :negative:

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Arapahoe basin leaves partnership with Vail. Overall probably good for a basin.

I thought they would as the parking is unsustainable up there. I am kinda pissed they got to make the beavers area in bounds and a lot of the reasoning was rider growth. The split with Vail is all about getting less riders there.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 18, 2019

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

spwrozek posted:

Arapahoe basin leaves partnership with Vail. Overall probably good for a basin.

I thought they would as the parking is unsustainable up there. I am kinda pissed they got to make the beavers area in bounds and a lot of the reasoning was rider growth. The split with Vail is all about getting less riders there.

it's great and I hope the lift prices keep it a local friendly mountain. even if i'm not local, i always appreciate the vibe and crowd that abasin attracts. absolutely cannot stand the stuckup whingey people that the premium vail resorts cater to

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 423 days!
oops i got hooked

This is been my first year ever snowboarding, and this past weekend I went up with some friends and we rode blue runs all day. I'm feeling pretty happy with my progress so far! The last lesson I took was in lousy conditions, so nobody else showed up and I got a one-on-one for the price of a group lesson, which helped a lot. I would count taking lessons as the smartest thing a newbie could do, outside of getting a helmet.

I've been borrowing an older Burton Process, camber profile and 155cm long (I'm a 160lb man). When I get my own board I wouldn't mind better float on powder, but I really like how snappy the Process feels and I don't want to get a directional board since I still want to practice riding switch more. What should I be looking for?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Good call, all of that sounds like stuff I recommend for beginners.

Just reading up on that board, and it looks pretty good for you on paper, too. I usually like regular camber like that for beginners - Might be a little harder to learn, but will give you a good technique going forward.

Other than that, doesn't matter too much, I don't think you'll be able to feel a lot of difference between boards just yet. Most important is to get good boots that fit, and a modernish (within 5 years) board and only use that setup so that you're not re-learning on a different board every time you go up.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
gently caress Vail good for A-Basin.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HookShot posted:

gently caress Vail

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Oh poo poo I forgot to post.

I'm at copper mountain all this week, til Sunday. Any other goons here during that time?

Also I just Amazon primed some replacement lenses to the lodge I'm at, it's a super bougiee vacation hell yeah

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

KoRMaK posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot to post.

I'm at copper mountain all this week, til Sunday. Any other goons here during that time?

Also I just Amazon primed some replacement lenses to the lodge I'm at, it's a super bougiee vacation hell yeah

Wish I was! Can you tell us some more about your sweet goggles?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Witnessed (potentially) one of the most horrifying events that you could see on the slopes. Someone, don't know if it was a parent or sibling or friend or whatever, took a 10 year old looking kid down Superstar at Killington. I watched in horror as this child did a speed pizza down the lower half of Superstar making no turns and straight lining for the fence. Instead they veered slightly to the right towards a clump of trees. I'm on the lift and all I see is a huge puff of snow and nothing as I go over the ridge. Get to the top and yell at the lift guy. He says they are already aware of it, but thanks for reporting it. Go down Superstar and see the medical people with the board and neck brace and all that. Kid walked away. Somehow hit the powder around the trees and fell through/between the trees and landed in nothing but soft stuff. I still can't believe it.

Be safe out there and be smart. Please. Otherwise Killington was a blast today. Cascade rode so nicely I was just doing fast laps of that. Hopefully Thursday isn't too messy when we head up to Stowe.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

They’re Gucci no big deal

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

They're just some run of the mill outdoor master goggles off Amazon. They have magnetic lenses, other lenses are like $25 a piece and the whole lens/frame was $40 new.

BUT I was tired and forgot to clean my lensee one night and now there is a giant fat perfect eteching of the ridges of my thumbprint on the lense. An annoying lesson to learn, clean your lenses before passing out and then getting on a plane.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Be safe out there and be smart. Please.
And please be aware of the skill levels of those in your party and conditions of trails. Not all greens/blues/diamonds are equal and can change day to day (and even hour to hour) in difficulty and when in any question, check with ski patrol.

Related to this, I ran into a bunch of people both on chairlifts and on trails who went down black diamond trails at Mt. Ellen and then were surprised when there were bumps/steep and icy and regretted their decisions over the holiday weekend.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

They're just some run of the mill outdoor master goggles off Amazon. They have magnetic lenses, other lenses are like $25 a piece and the whole lens/frame was $40 new.

BUT I was tired and forgot to clean my lensee one night and now there is a giant fat perfect eteching of the ridges of my thumbprint on the lense. An annoying lesson to learn, clean your lenses before passing out and then getting on a plane.

I have those goggles and I really enjoy them. Not worried when I gently caress them up because they’re way cheap.

I bought another 7.5% lens and it’s way lighter than the old lens I had.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Master_Odin posted:

Related to this, I ran into a bunch of people both on chairlifts and on trails who went down black diamond trails at Mt. Ellen and then were surprised when there were bumps/steep and icy and regretted their decisions over the holiday weekend.
I don't go ride during holiday weekends, it's not worth putting your life in the hands of thousands of out of control jerrys

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
My puppy recently destroyed my Anon M2 frames and a lens. I was actually thinking of trying those goggles from Amazon. I figured cheap enough for guests to use if I hate em.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Moey posted:

My puppy recently destroyed my Anon M2 frames and a lens. I was actually thinking of trying those goggles from Amazon. I figured cheap enough for guests to use if I hate em.

Their support staff has been great. When I got the 7.5% lens in and it was way too light, I called the phone number listed. They picked up in one ring and are shipping me a replacement.

I used them last year at several mountains and never had any issue. The only downside is they don’t have insanely loud colors for the band. :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

A good Jerry moment

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt_74fqn_hW/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=vckmki13splg

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fully sent it

This is still my favorite one

https://www.instagram.com/p/BttrKezFgVJ

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 20, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

15-20 foot deep slide in bear creek yesterday. They’ve got a chopper up looking for the body. Please, please make good decisions in the backcountry.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
A guy at Heavenly just went head down into powder in the glades and died just 100 feet from a trail. Can't tell from the article if it was a tree well or he just literally took a header into deep pow and got stuck.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/19/missing-seaside-man-found-dead-in-snow-at-heavenly-valley-ski-resort/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There was an avalanche in Crans-Montana that went directly on piste, killed a ski patroller from France. Three others injured.

There's video, too: https://www.facebook.com/1815.ch/vi...ymu0&__tn__=H-R

HookShot fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 20, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/sheriffalert/status/1098269896796983297?s=21

Yeah not good.

E: they found someone. This is the chute that slid:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6hE9O7oDpXQ

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 20, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Their support staff has been great. When I got the 7.5% lens in and it was way too light, I called the phone number listed. They picked up in one ring and are shipping me a replacement.

I used them last year at several mountains and never had any issue. The only downside is they don’t have insanely loud colors for the band. :(

The 7.5% was too light? Those things should be like blackout.

Have a pair coming Friday, 10% VLT.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Moey posted:

Yeah, it should be. It looked like this though.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well, as expected my Jackson Hole trip early January was probably the only resort snowboarding I'd get in this year. Lots to be done with a kid on the way plus the local resorts are pretty trash again. We did however get a few inches of snow today, and after clearing the driveway I finally made a little jump off our retaining wall after living here for two years but never getting enough snow. Enjoy my 90 year old neighbor's 1980's Cavalier in the background.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Old guy air to flats. Big balls my friend.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Hey I made sure to spend 90 seconds shoveling some loose snow to roughly the area I thought I'd land in. These 40 year old knees are hosed either way so I'm just gonna go full accelerationist so I can start getting rad doing wheelchair tricks.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Jesus the guy was skinning up and got hit from a snowboarder-triggered avalanche from above. Based on where he was, it’s likely he was just doing it for exercise.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

Jesus the guy was skinning up and got hit from a snowboarder-triggered avalanche from above. Based on where he was, it’s likely he was just doing it for exercise.

That is going to be a tough one to live with for the snowboarder... Even being an accident.

E: drat...30' deep debris pile...

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 20, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Yeah, it should be. It looked like this though.

Wow, save those for the overcast days.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Wow. That Bear Creek accident is as tragic as it gets.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I could totally do that.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

davebo posted:

Well, as expected my Jackson Hole trip early January was probably the only resort snowboarding I'd get in this year. Lots to be done with a kid on the way plus the local resorts are pretty trash again. We did however get a few inches of snow today, and after clearing the driveway I finally made a little jump off our retaining wall after living here for two years but never getting enough snow. Enjoy my 90 year old neighbor's 1980's Cavalier in the background.

This looks like where I grew up. But it probably isn't. Where is it, so I know what other places look like where I grew up.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Moey posted:

My 17% rose tinteds came and I love them. They are way better than the 15% "very colorful" ones that I ruined with s thumbprint. The rose tinteds have a yellow tint AND they are uniform, so I felt like I was seeing all the detail I needed and wanted today.

As for the old lense, is there any way to fix or alleviate the thumbprint that etched into the outside coating? I've heard things about special goggle wipes and polishing stuff?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

KoRMaK posted:

This looks like where I grew up. But it probably isn't. Where is it, so I know what other places look like where I grew up.

It's in Gaithersburg, MD. Neighborhood was built in the 50's with every house looking completely different in style and size so that's really the only house that looks like that.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'm off snowboarding for the first time in a few years, last time I did it was also the first time. I borrowed some goggles that time, but for this time I was wondering if it would be fine to use my MTB goggles instead rather than forking out to buy some snow specific ones. Is there any reason not to do this?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That sounds awful, they'll fog up immediately

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Oh they will? I'm not 100% up to speed on the differences between them so I thought I'd check. I'll have a look for some snow goggles then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Not 100% sure, I haven't inspected mountain biking goggles, that's just my kneejerk reaction