Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The Bret/Lawler feud that started at the ‘93 King of the Ring lasted two loving years?

Why?

By the time they were initially supposed to do the blow-off (Survivor Series 1993), Lawler was pulled off TV due to the sexual assault allegations. He didn't come back until the following WrestleMania. By then, Bret was back in the title picture and had his feud with Owen going on. That transitioned into Bret losing the title to Backlund and the Bret/Backlund feud finished at WrestleMania 11. Since the title picture was all about face Diesel at that time, Bret went back to feuding with Lawler for a few months, mainly as a way to keep him busy.

Once Bret finished with Lawler and Isaac Yankem, Vince lost his patience with the Diesel title run and Bret was pushed to champ again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Venomous posted:

Are there any CMLL matches, or lucha matches in general, on tape from before 1980? I've only ever seen Jumbo/Máscaras from AJPW in 1977, and idk if that's even a typical Mil Máscaras match for the period because I can't find any other matches of his to compare it with.

e: v Ah, damnit. Thanks. v

Lucha Libre was banned on TV in Mexico City until 1991. You can find UWA tapes from El Toreo on New Japan world because New Japan shot matches there. There's a pretty good Fishman vs Tiger Mask match on New Japan World

Allegedly, there is more footage from the 80s, but we don't have it. It exists in vaults underneath buildings. Underneath Arena Mexico is years of wrestling history and we will probably never see it

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

When the Rock left WWE after Summerslam 2002, what movie was he filming? I was going to say The Mummy 2 but that was filmed during his post Wrestlemania 17 absence I think.

Looking at his filmography, it has to be The Rundown. Scorpion King came out before Summerslam 2002.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Gavok posted:

By the time they were initially supposed to do the blow-off (Survivor Series 1993), Lawler was pulled off TV due to the sexual assault allegations. He didn't come back until the following WrestleMania. By then, Bret was back in the title picture and had his feud with Owen going on. That transitioned into Bret losing the title to Backlund and the Bret/Backlund feud finished at WrestleMania 11. Since the title picture was all about face Diesel at that time, Bret went back to feuding with Lawler for a few months, mainly as a way to keep him busy.

Once Bret finished with Lawler and Isaac Yankem, Vince lost his patience with the Diesel title run and Bret was pushed to champ again.
Feuds also tended to linger around for a longer time in those days. There was like a solid year of Undertaker alternating PPV matches with Goldust and Mankind.

Throw in a legal battle or two like you said, and yeah that'll stretch things out even longer!

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Randaconda posted:

I meant when he came back to wrestle LT, and was supposed to get a big babyface push after, but HBK and co. bitched and moaned.

I’m sure the Kliq interfered and got his upper-midcard push turned into a non-push, but I’m personally of the belief Vince was always lying about making him a true main eventer post-LT.

He was chosen for that role as an acceptable sacrifice and he was never coming back from getting creamed by a non-wrestler, face or heel. And Vince was smart enough back then to know that.

[quote="“remusclaw”" post="“492677025”"]
Yeah that poo poo irritates me too. I’m not going off about Latinized Hercules dealing with Greek named Gods anymore like I was when I was grumpy kid but don’t wave grim and gritty comic book poo poo in my face and tell me its good history. But I wont hold it against the show unless the people behind it are trying to put one over one me. Wrestling has a bad habit of being disdainful of it’s audience.
[/quote]

Greek and Roman stuff is far enough removed from modern history that I don’t really mind potpourri approaches.

Middle Ages history is still really relevant to our modern narratives about history and progress and the development of democracy and capitalism. That bothers me a lot more when people take Medieval fantasy as real history.

Pinstripe Hourglass fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 18, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

remusclaw posted:

MMA didn't just expose the business, it exposed pretty much every other fighting style but amateur wrestling, BJJ, boxing, and muay thai. A few have made some comebacks, but what they look like in actual fights resembles what they look like in movies or in single style sparring. Old wrestling just was not going to be believable in a post MMA world, no matter what the old grumps want to say. Anyway, it was exposed more than once and it never died, starting in 30s in the States. If anything, the constant kayfabing may have done more to stifle wrestling than anything else because some people look at that and feel insulted by it. I don't hear anybody champing at the bit to go on about how my favorite prime time tv show is fake, or the action movies that are on all the time.

Pro wrestling has been exposed in the US long before the 30s.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1830s

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I thought the earlier exposures were in France, but honestly I was just going off the last thing I heard on the matter.

What is all your favorite references to wrestling in the media?

Mine is in " The Music Man" The Mayor says he hadn’t seen Iowans get so excited for something “since the night Frank Gotch and Strangler Lewis lay on the mat for three and a half hours without moving a muscle.”

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

remusclaw posted:

I thought the earlier exposures were in France, but honestly I was just going off the last thing I heard on the matter.

What is all your favorite references to wrestling in the media?

Mine is in " The Music Man" The Mayor says he hadn’t seen Iowans get so excited for something “since the night Frank Gotch and Strangler Lewis lay on the mat for three and a half hours without moving a muscle.”

There were many complaints of match rigging in the US in the 19th century and then in the early 20th century there was the Manhattan Opera House tournament which had dudes in masks and all sorts of wacky angles that the press did not look kindly on. The entire style changed in the 20s from something that resembled grappling to an obviously worked style by the early 30s.

Edit: The question reminded me that in his early career Gotch would do a spot where he'd get thrown into the orchestra pit.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 19, 2019

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

There was a New Day promo from years ago that my wife and I still bring up, where New Day (still during their first heel run) had worn t-shirts of the heel women’s faction (I think this was during an awful acronym period, or something), but the ladies had the OLD New Day shirts, and the entire video concludes with Big E saying “Why y’all late?”

Anybody got a link for this? I remember it being pretty good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it was the dumb faction wars period when they brought up Becky, Charlotte and Sasha (and briefly called Becky, Charlotte and Paige the Submission Sorority without apparently having googled that phrase in case it was in use for the OBVIOUS REASON)

Sasha's crew was briefly affiliated with the New Day.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I still think Sasha should've straight-up joined the New Day instead of doing that Team BAD nonsense, but WWE is weird about stables having both men and women (they couldn't separate Nikki Cross fast enough when Sanity got called up), so alas.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

Edit: The question reminded me that in his early career Gotch would do a spot where he'd get thrown into the orchestra pit.

No psychology, he'll never make it in this business.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Thanks for the Team BAD reference, here’s the promo I was looking for:

https://youtu.be/LP8oefTHYAs

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Thanks for the Team BAD reference, here’s the promo I was looking for:

https://youtu.be/LP8oefTHYAs
Jesus Christ every time I see Tamina in old footage I'm just reminded that she's been in WWE nearly 9 years and been involved with loving everything but done essentially nothing. She was with the Uso's in their debut, she was there for Sasha's debut, she was in the first match for the Women's tag team title.

How many other people can you point to part of big moments that were "Just there" and did essentially nothing else on their own. Virgil?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

RealFoxy posted:

How many other people can you point to part of big moments that were "Just there" and did essentially nothing else on their own. Virgil?

Brutus Beefcake/Booty Man/Disciple/Ed Leslie

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You forgot about fifteen gimmicks, no exaggeration.

And he did get his face broken, which led to that moment on Raw where he was pouring his heart out about being told he may never wrestler again and someone in the crowd screams "KILL YOURSELF!!"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You forgot about fifteen gimmicks, no exaggeration.

And he did get his face broken, which led to that moment on Raw where he was pouring his heart out about being told he may never wrestler again and someone in the crowd screams "KILL YOURSELF!!"

I laugh every time I think about that. It was perfection. Emotional speech, the crowd is quiet, he pauses, then clear as day "KILL YOURSELF!"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wrestling was real until 1983.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Blast Fantasto posted:

Brutus Beefcake/Booty Man/Disciple/Ed Leslie

There's still a chance Tamina could main event a Starrcade too!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

MassRafTer posted:

There's still a chance Tamina could main event a Starrcade too!
This isn't even a joke post :negative:

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I liked Tamina as AJ Lee’s giant leather bodyguard. That’s about it.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I liked when TNA immediately had to rip that angle off with Lei'D Tapa as Gail Kim's bodyguard.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Ah, yes. Her Shiesel period.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Serious question: how the gently caress does anybody stomach WWE at this point? I haven't been able to watch the main roster (outside of recaps and youtube clips) since 2015 and eventually I wanted to watch wrestling again so bad I just decided to catch up on the previous year of New Japan instead of going back to Raw and Smackdown. Even the idea of watching WWE for "the guys you like" sounds miserable because none of the roster outside of Brock and two or three others are treated as anything but interchangeable losers. I just don't have it in me to tolerate the whims of an old man who was out of touch a decade ago with no loving clue what he wants until the day it has to air on TV.

Apologies if I come across as weirdly aggro but watching the Gargano/Ciampa rivalry last year and all the genuinely interesting twists and turns it's taken only for them to be called up to awkwardly tag together when they're still supposed to hate each other just made me speechless. I get that sometimes NXT continuity doesn't carry over but loving hell if there's one thing that should it's the story that's been going on for the last 2 years and main evented like 4 Takeovers. That and the insipid, soulless, corporate approved commentary by Cole when talking about Aleister Black. I flat out do not get how people can watch this.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

Serious question: how the gently caress does anybody stomach WWE at this point? I haven't been able to watch the main roster (outside of recaps and youtube clips) since 2015 and eventually I wanted to watch wrestling again so bad I just decided to catch up on the previous year of New Japan instead of going back to Raw and Smackdown. Even the idea of watching WWE for "the guys you like" sounds miserable because none of the roster outside of Brock and two or three others are treated as anything but interchangeable losers. I just don't have it in me to tolerate the whims of an old man who was out of touch a decade ago with no loving clue what he wants until the day it has to air on TV.

Apologies if I come across as weirdly aggro but watching the Gargano/Ciampa rivalry last year and all the genuinely interesting twists and turns it's taken only for them to be called up to awkwardly tag together when they're still supposed to hate each other just made me speechless. I get that sometimes NXT continuity doesn't carry over but loving hell if there's one thing that should it's the story that's been going on for the last 2 years and main evented like 4 Takeovers. That and the insipid, soulless, corporate approved commentary by Cole when talking about Aleister Black. I flat out do not get how people can watch this.

It's extremely good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The world is made up of 7 billion independent humans who all like different things

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

The Kimoa Kid posted:

The world is made up of 7 billion independent humans who all like different things

theyre fuckin idiots

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Not a question, but I just realized while watching an OSW episode that the lyrics to Jesse & Festus theme are "Biscuits and gravy, made me a man" and not "Biscuits and gravy, maybe a man"

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I never understood who would step on their gravy. It would get all over your shoes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How did WCW explain Kevin Sullivan of all people being Hogan's greatest nemesis for two years? As far as I know, they never encountered one another in WWF, so how did they sell this guy being the one that could end Hulkamania and had the ability to convince something like twenty other people to help him?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well he was just the Taskmaster after all. It wasn't really his agenda. It was some fat moldy guy in a cave who was Hogan's true nemesis. And he kept gifting the Dungeon members to Sullivan.

Although I actually think the direct path there was that Kevin's dyslexic brother Dave (Evad) was obsessed with Hulk and Kevin hated that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God, Hogan in WCW before he turned heel was loving dire.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, who the gently caress was that fat old man covered in dried mud? He was the one that needed Hulkamania to die?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Yeah, who the gently caress was that fat old man covered in dried mud? He was the one that needed Hulkamania to die?

King Curtis Iaukea!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well you see, he had to do all of this because it was ETCHED IN STOOOOOOONE

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"King" Curtis Iaukea. Former WWF Tag Team champ, and later had a brief run as a manager called "The Wizard", because his character was supposed to be a disciple of the late Grand Wizard.

Considered by some to be, at his prime, one of the best promos in wrestling.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

King Curtis Iaukea!

Prince Iaukea's dad?

And I love that, by Uncensored '96, the Dungeon of Doom and the Horsemen had to team up as the Alliance to End Hulkamania and still couldn't defeat him.

EDIT:

Davros1 posted:

"King" Curtis Iaukea. Former WWF Tag Team champ, and later had a brief run as a manager called "The Wizard", because his character was supposed to be a disciple of the late Grand Wizard.

Considered by some to be, at his prime, one of the best promos in wrestling.

Ummm...what?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Prince Iaukea's dad?

And I love that, by Uncensored '96, the Dungeon of Doom and the Horsemen had to team up as the Alliance to End Hulkamania and still couldn't defeat him.

EDIT:

Ummm...what?

Ernie Roth, small Jewish man with a turban

Great promo, maybe should be a WON hall of famer? who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Prince Iaukea's dad?

They also teamed with Batman film actors, Zeus and The Final Ultimate Solution.