Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

quote:

PRICE ANALYSIS

GOOD DEAL
$2,950
Dealer's Price

CarGurus IMV
$4,200
Due to Texas Department of Motor Vehicle regulations CarGurus is unable to show the CarGurus IMV for this car

Does anyone know what the hell is up with this? Why would DMV regulations have anything to do with showing an estimated value? And you DID show a value - just slightly blurry but completely readable (and copyable).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

KillHour posted:

Does anyone know what the hell is up with this? Why would DMV regulations have anything to do with showing an estimated value? And you DID show a value - just slightly blurry but completely readable (and copyable).

Here you go, after some google fu:

How CarGurus resolved the legal claim by removing IMV (Instant Market Value) in TX: https://www.fi-magazine.com/321663/texas-dmv-closes-case-against-cargurus

The original complaint by Texas: https://www.fi-magazine.com/321639/texas-dealers-could-face-fines-over-cargurus-business-practices

So apparently IMV constituted a 'discount or savings claim'. Hence it's now removed for TX vehicles. Pretty funny that it's still readable, please post a link :)

A key paragraph from the complaint article:

quote:

“Another thing I don’t like about CarGurus.com is the site rates dealers and their deals,” Ziegler wrote, in part. “Labels, from my understanding, include ‘Great,’ ‘Good,’ ‘Fair’ or ‘Bad’ dealers. What gives the site the right to do this? And what standard is it using to rate these deals?”

I mean this seems like a completely asinine quote. Why is he suggesting that a company doesn't have the right to rate products or businesses? How would Consumer Affairs be around? Stupidity nonetheless it is a law on the books in Texas and the dealer lobby successfully used it against CarGurus. Yet another point in the 'please abolish dealers' column.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 15, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

Pretty funny that it's still readable, please post a link :)

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=227853238

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
I'm entering potentially Homer Simpson levels of BWM with this question, but regarding extended warranties how can I lose. I own an Audi S5. The manufacturer warranty is 4y/50k miles, and I declined any extended warranty from the dealer. Based on my driving so far, I will probably put between 10-12k on the car per year. I got quotes for potential third party extended warranties, which apparently are cheaper if you get them below 10k. The quotes available are both for $100 deductibles.

For official Audi Platinum protection:
7 yr / 70K - $2575.00
7 yr / 100K - $3750.00
8 yr / 80K - $3040.00
8 yr / 100K - $4070.00
8 yr / 120K - $4390.00

A third party Fidelity Platinum

7 yr / 70K - $2355.00
7 yr / 100K - $3275.00
8 yr / 80K - $2628.00
8 yr / 100K - $3554..00
8 yr / 120K - $3848.00

I know warranties are almost always a loser, but I also know that when not if things break in this thing they will be expensive to fix. I would like to keep the car 7 years. I have the cash to self-insure, but is it worth it to get a plan for a pricey car?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Is the Audi warranty actually through audi like a cpo, or is it a rebranded aftermarket warranty?

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
It's from http://www.fd-warranty.com/ which says actual factory-backed warranty plans.

EDIT: and we're assuming that I have zero car skills, and that I won't do something dumb like buy an RS5 in a couple years.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
e: hmm nevermind. That fd-warranty site seems sketch as hell but I suppose it's just a reseller of the same Audi CPO plan and it is a real option.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 15, 2019

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I’ve had nothing but bullshit hassles from aftermarket warranties, both as a customer and a shop-owner. Personally, I would only buy a factory extended warranty no matter what the price difference was.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
The PDF I was emailed said it was an Audi platinum factory warranty and the site resells them. Other Audi drivers have bought and used it but not discussed value.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that sounds sketchy as gently caress

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

JnnyThndrs posted:

I’ve had nothing but bullshit hassles from aftermarket warranties, both as a customer and a shop-owner. Personally, I would only buy a factory extended warranty no matter what the price difference was.

Yeah, factory or carmax only.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

take me you ANIMAL posted:

I also found a auction house for cars that is copart.com that are requesting an ID to be able to register and bid on hail damaged cars.

Anyone have any advice on this? We are just trying to help get her a car that can get her to and from work until she can get out from underwater on her last loan.

copart car's will likely need a tow or transport home. The battery will basically always be dead, and I think they don't have any plates. They'll also salvage titles when it comes to hail damage. Dunno how frequent their auctions are but she'll also have to wait for one.

I'd recomend searching Facebook marketplace or craigś͇͍͍̼̯l͎i̷̮̖̝̭̯s̛͚͕t̞̩̰

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Something Offal posted:

Here you go, after some google fu:

How CarGurus resolved the legal claim by removing IMV (Instant Market Value) in TX: https://www.fi-magazine.com/321663/texas-dmv-closes-case-against-cargurus

The original complaint by Texas: https://www.fi-magazine.com/321639/texas-dealers-could-face-fines-over-cargurus-business-practices

So apparently IMV constituted a 'discount or savings claim'. Hence it's now removed for TX vehicles. Pretty funny that it's still readable, please post a link :)

A key paragraph from the complaint article:

I mean this seems like a completely asinine quote. Why is he suggesting that a company doesn't have the right to rate products or businesses? How would Consumer Affairs be around? Stupidity nonetheless it is a law on the books in Texas and the dealer lobby successfully used it against CarGurus. Yet another point in the 'please abolish dealers' column.

Used to work for a car site. Ziegler is a huge piece of poo poo who makes videos for car dealers under the name alpha dawg

If there is anything you think is anti-user friendly on a car shopping website it’s because Jim Ziegler has whipped up a mob of the worst loving dealers in the country to call your ceo and cmo until it changes. He ducking *hates* anything that implies a dealer might not be telling you the 100% truth

Perry the Platypus
Aug 7, 2009
Any recommendations for a small SUV? Looking for something used and under 15k. Thanks.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
With that much info, a used RAV4 1980s - 2015

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The newest CR-V you can buy for 15 grand. Where are you located?

edit

CR-V
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

low km

or

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

honda dealer

****** one crazy trick that car dealers hate ****
I never recommend buying an ex-rental, but if there is a car that probably wasn't throw around to poo poo (eg, not a mustang or charger) a RAV4 might be a safe bet. Even if it was abused the parts are all bulletproof. This is a 2017 you'd normally spend like 8 extra grand on used. You get toyota safety sensing system, which is amazing. Honestly you are getting what in a new car would cost 30+ grand. Worth a test drive and confirm it has the extra safety package. If it does this is a very good deal.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...kType=spotlight

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 17, 2019

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just because it's sold by Hertz or Enterprise, doesn't mean it's an ex rental. In fact, most of their vehicles are bought at the auction, just like any other used car dealership

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Nitrox posted:

Just because it's sold by Hertz or Enterprise, doesn't mean it's an ex rental. In fact, most of their vehicles are bought at the auction, just like any other used car dealership

Citation needed

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nitrox posted:

If this isn't an ex-rental is priced a few thousand wayyyy too low.

My point was more for an ex-rental a RAV4 is comparatively low risk. And maybe its worth it since there is basically no way you can get advanced safety features in the used car market without spending a lot more money.

Personally, with someone that is comfortable with some wrenching, and isn't intimidated by mechanics and can shop around for repairs, I would 100% buy this RAV4 compared to other choices in that 15k price range. The collision braking prevention stuff is just so important, if you can get it, you should.

Toyota cars in general are going to amazing buys used for anything past 2016 when they made their advanced safety package standard. When comparing to a similiar spec honda or subaru or ford or whatever they are going to have an extra $2500 worth of safety tech on their base models that just might save you life or spare you a crash.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Nitrox posted:

Wait what? Pretty sure this is completely wrong lol, what are you smoking.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think I heard that the big car rental companies now mostly make their money off selling cars, not renting them, but I've never heard of them actually skipping step 1 and going straight to auctions.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Something Offal posted:

Wait what? Pretty sure this is completely wrong lol, what are you smoking.

I bought a non rental car from Enterprise Auto Sales 2 years ago. I didn't believe the salesperson and started running Vin numbers through Carfax. 5 out of 6 cars came from auction with no rental history on record. You welcome to run your own checks, the vins are listed in the ad.

Also, they had a CarMax-like no haggle policy, meaning that listed price is not negotiable. What's negotiable is a price of your trade in. They paid me 3X what my truck was worth just to make that sale. It worked out great in the end. Even matched my credit union financing at 2.6% through Chase. If you don't count 5 hours of haggling, I've had a good experience.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 18, 2019

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

So... just how bad are the new crop of Chinese sugar daddy Volvos? I'm entertaining some potentially bad ideas about the new V60 or V60 Cross Country as a wagony luxury CUV in the ~40-45kish max range.

I know that mentioning Consumer Reports in this thread can be controversial, but reports like this one from the end of 2018 are putting Volvo in dead last in terms of reliability. Do I already have my answer?

I'd be willing to deal with some expected higher running and maintenance costs but I don't want a total POS. Should I just abandon the wagon idealism and look at blinged out turbo CX-5s instead?

Guinness fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 19, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
They're very nice cars provided you don't care at all about reliability, and you also don't care at all about waiting weeks and weeks for certain parts.

If you have a reasonable use case for leasing, lease one.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Volvos have never been particularly reliable under anyone's ownership, not compared to Toyotas and Hondas anyway, so it's not like there's any incentive to change now.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Whatever happened with the Golf Alltrack? None of the dealers near me have anything other than a couple of still new 2017s.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Guinness posted:

So... just how bad are the new crop of Chinese sugar daddy Volvos? I'm entertaining some potentially bad ideas about the new V60 or V60 Cross Country as a wagony luxury CUV in the ~40-45kish max range.

I know that mentioning Consumer Reports in this thread can be controversial, but reports like this one from the end of 2018 are putting Volvo in dead last in terms of reliability. Do I already have my answer?

I'd be willing to deal with some expected higher running and maintenance costs but I don't want a total POS. Should I just abandon the wagon idealism and look at blinged out turbo CX-5s instead?

If you want a cool luxury car get an audi/bmw/benz. Volvos are so low volume their running costs due to parts and poor reliability is higher than everything but Italian brands.

Or buy a nice mazda/toyota/honda and save more money.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just picked up my new Ford Focus Titanium and I know it's probably not unique to this car but i'm genuinely blown away by all the moden quality of life gadgets/features i've used so far.

My last car was a puegeot 207, and the rear parking sensor was about the most advanced thing it had, so when i was looking down at the dashboard and seeing it dynamically update a speed limit figure (as well as flashing gauge to indicate if i've gone over it) the moment i pass the sign on the road my mind was just blown. Can you use features like that in conjunction with the speed limiters? I've got a bit of a heavy foot when driving and having the car automatically adjust that would be the icing on the cake.

Then there's the rear packing camera. I didn't even notice it come on because my instinct was to just keep looking out the back windows. Hell i didn't even know i could hook up the car music system to spotify via my phone's bluetooth. I'm just not used to having a car that's got this level of comfort.

The only thing that's niggling me is the handbreak and keyless start button. The handbreak is of those small switches (electric?) rather than the traditional lever i'm used to and when i get out of the car i'm paranoid i've not switched it on. It's all the more scary because it's supposed to automatically turn off when you get in and start driving too so i can't tell if i hosed up. I've always left my cars in gear as a backup, but it's still a worry i have.

edit: on the keyless features. The dealer did mention keyless entry back when i was first looking into the car but didn't mention it again today. It sounds like a nifty feature but what's the range of it and can it be turned off? I'm just a little paranoid that the distance between my driveway and where i keep the keys in the house isn't far enough and someone might be able to just get in and drive off.

Kin fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 19, 2019

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TheWevel posted:

Whatever happened with the Golf Alltrack? None of the dealers near me have anything other than a couple of still new 2017s.

I actually went hunting for some Alltracks locally, specifically looking for a manual transmission, especially now that you can get the top SEL trim with a 6MT. They’re rare but sell pretty quickly to us niche weirdos. Dealers were willing to let me order one and wait 4-6 months and take no money off MSRP :v:

It’s too bad even the SEL kind of lags behind in tech for a 35k car in the year 2019. But that manual tho... still tempting. It’ll definitely be a last of its kind car.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kin posted:

edit: on the keyless features. The dealer did mention keyless entry back when i was first looking into the car but didn't mention it again today. It sounds like a nifty feature but what's the range of it and can it be turned off? I'm just a little paranoid that the distance between my driveway and where i keep the keys in the house isn't far enough and someone might be able to just get in and drive off.

The keyless start should only be able to start a car if the key is inside the vehicle. They can measure the radio waves and how the strong the signal is when inside vs. outside the car. Insurance standard wants no more than a foot outside the vehicle to be considered secure.

Even if something like a replay attack was possible the car would become immobilized the moment it was turned off because you could never turn it back on again.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah the keyless start accuracy is impressive. On my car it is accurate to literally an inch inside or outside the doorframe as to whether or not it will start the engine. As far as unlocking, it'll say in the manual the range, I think for mine the fob has to be within a foot or so of a door handle.

If there is any building structure (like a wall or even a window) between your driveway and keys inside, the signal would probably never be strong enough to allow touch unlocking.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 20, 2019

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's not the strength. It's triangulating the distance and direction.

If you leave the keys in the car, it won't let you lock it from the outside, for instance.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 20, 2019

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
If you're worried about it they sell key dishes that block the signal, or you can keep your keys in the fridge.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

It's not the strength. It's triangulating the distance and direction.

If you leave the keys in the car, it won't let you lock it from the outside, for instance.

Which is kinda annoying sometimes. (Did you leave your keys in your purse that you just threw behind the seat!? I can't lock this drat thing!)

But I mean, I get it and it's probably better than if it just let you lock them in there, especially since it probably can't tell well enough if there is a key inside or outside to allow door unlock only for an outside key.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Proposed Budget: 
Under 20k - the further under, the better

New or Used:
Yes. New would be super but that obviously is restricted by budget limitations.

Body Style:
4-door, compact to midsize. I am very interested in a hatchback, but sedans will do

How will you be using the car?:
Will be used for short commutes, primarily city driving. Have a 5 year old kid so safety is important

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?
Luxury vehicle, no. I'd like some of the modern amenities my 2002 shitbox cavalier lacks - adaptive cruise, Bluetooth, touchscreens, backup cam, not being a deathtrap

What aspects are most important to you?
Reliability, safety, and fuel efficiency are primary concerns. I'd also like something that's fun to drive, preferably in manual

I've been looking online mostly at Cruzes, Elantras, Mazda3s. The only thing I've actually test driven so far was a 2010 Mazda3 from Craigslist which was in great shape but the accessories were a little dated. Dealerships are kind of intimidating to me - the last car I bought was a 2000 Jetta in 2006 and I think I got a pretty crap deal.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Feb 20, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Gray Matter posted:

I've been looking online mostly at Cruzes, Elantras, Mazda3s. The only thing I've actually test driven so far was a 2010 Mazda3 from Craigslist which was in great shape but the accessories were a little dated. Dealerships are kind of intimidating to me - the last car I bought was a 2000 Jetta in 2006 and I think I got a pretty crap deal.

Regardless of anything else, You'll want to look for a Mazda3 from 2012 or later if your concern is fuel economy. The 2.5L in the early 2nd gen Mazda3s is a decent engine, but it's surprisingly thirsty. On road trips I am lucky to eek out 30mpg on the highway. Fun to drive, though. The 2.0L of that era is a turd.

In the 2012 models, Mazda introduced the Skyactiv engine, which is quick enough for a commuter car and the fuel economy is leaps and bounds better, like up to 40mpg highway better.

The newer Elantras are pretty nice as well. I test drove a few before settling on my Mazda3 and they were decent. The trim levels were pretty loaded compared to many others in its class, but pretty dull to drive.

Depending on where you live, the Scion iM is an interesting, under the radar pick. It's essentially a Corolla hatchback with a funkier design and it was surprisingly nimble. Not the fastest, but it wasn't frustrating to drive. It had the same 1.8 as the Corolla, so you'll still see high 30s highway mileage. It also comes with a stick, which is nice.

(The new model Corolla Hatchback might fit your budget as well).

The newest Honda Civics should be getting well under $20k for decent used models these days.

Edit: Especially with a stick, the Ford Focus is a nice car. I just didn't like the entertainment system in the seat time I've had in one.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gray Matter posted:

Proposed Budget: 
Under 20k - the further under, the better

New or Used:
Yes. New would be super but that obviously is restricted by budget limitations.

Body Style:
4-door, compact to midsize. I am very interested in a hatchback, but sedans will do

How will you be using the car?:
Will be used for short commutes, primarily city driving. Have a 5 year old kid so safety is important

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?
Luxury vehicle, no. I'd like some of the modern amenities my 2002 shitbox cavalier lacks - adaptive cruise, Bluetooth, touchscreens, backup cam, not being a deathtrap

What aspects are most important to you?
Reliability, safety, and fuel efficiency are primary concerns. I'd also like something that's fun to drive, preferably in manual

You need to be more specific in your budget. At the end of the day, how much are you actual comfortable spending?

At 10k you can find a car better than your cavalier easy. At 15k its going to be safer and cheaper to run. At 20k you will have more features, etc etc.

So what is your budget? Whats your zip code.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Something Offal posted:

Yeah the keyless start accuracy is impressive. On my car it is accurate to literally an inch inside or outside the doorframe as to whether or not it will start the engine. As far as unlocking, it'll say in the manual the range, I think for mine the fob has to be within a foot or so of a door handle.

If there is any building structure (like a wall or even a window) between your driveway and keys inside, the signal would probably never be strong enough to allow touch unlocking.

That's quite reassuring. Some of the more prominent search results for for the keyless entry just go on about lack of security and whatnot.

For this of you who have it, do you use it that much or find it useful? At the minute it just feels more natural to get out the fob and push the lock/unlock button.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Kin posted:

Just picked up my new Ford Focus Titanium and I know it's probably not unique to this car but I'm genuinely blown away by all the modern quality of life gadgets/features I've used so far.

I'm eyeing up a Focus Titanium myself at the moment, looking to buy in the next week or so. I'm legit excited to get in and play around with the extra stuff included. Reviews of my current Punto still mention "electrically adjustable mirrors" and "electric front windows" as 'features' so the difference in the level of technology is going to be ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kin posted:

For this of you who have it, do you use it that much or find it useful? At the minute it just feels more natural to get out the fob and push the lock/unlock button.

I've gone from a car with a broken fob receiver and key start where I had to use the key all the time to one with wireless unlock and push to start. Outside of maybe the first day, I never touch the fob after it goes in my pocket, forgetting its even there most of the time. I have gotten very used to it very fast.

I don't know if I would pay extra for it, but it is very convenient.