Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I think I’d like the Scream franchise more if I didn’t hate every single character in it.

Naturally, the characters in the Hellraiser movies are all super relatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

King Vidiot posted:

Man, look at this poser who doesn't know you can just put a piece of tape over the hole to record on it. I used to record over commercially-produced VHS tapes that way, like tapes that were given away in the mail.

I knew that I just thought it was odd.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

I think I’d like the Scream franchise more if I didn’t hate every single character in it.

Naturally, the characters in the Hellraiser movies are all super relatable.

man Matthew Lilliard has LITERALLY never done anything less than a STELLAR performance in any movie he has ever been in

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Dammit people, what gems are on Shudder that I need to check out before my subscription is up?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

escape artist posted:

Dammit people, what gems are on Shudder that I need to check out before my subscription is up?

Cold Hell

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

escape artist posted:

Why would you not renew?

There's a lot of really good films on Shudder, that's kind of its thing. If I had to pick two films for you to watch it would be The Quiet Earth and Dark Waters.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

King Vidiot posted:

I used to record over commercially-produced VHS tapes that way, like tapes that were given away in the mail.

Who didn't do that? One of my past jobs was closing down and I hauled out two huge boxes of training videos. While they weren't the standard tape capacity, they were just fine for taping music videos off MTV or a Halloween special.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

There’s definitely gas left in the tank for Hellraiser. I actually think the lovely sequels benefit the franchise in a way, because most were released dtv and there’s not a lot of mainstream saturation as a result. Like Joe Q Public recognizes Pinhead, but I imagine the series as a whole is a bit of a blank slate.

Get Fede Alvarez behind the camera, push the psychosexual gothic horror element to 11, and go nuts.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I just think its such a iconic role that it'd be like replacing Robert Englund for Freddy Krueger so they'd have to get back Doug Bradley.

I don't think it's problematic to bring back Bradley but like he's really getting up there in age.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Honestly I'd be way more down for Hellraiser if they just let go of Pinhead. Either you're dragging back an aging actor or replacing him with a weirdo who looks like that rounded off Spongebob meme.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

escape artist posted:

Beyond the aforementioned Dark Waters and Quiet Earth, (a couple of these are essentials but still):

mon mon mon MONSTERS
Big Man Japan
The Exorcist III
Wolfguy
Ms .45
The Visitor
StageFright

Also, if you go through the menu to leave Shudder, they'll give you an option for a free month.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

King Vidiot posted:

Man, look at this poser who doesn't know you can just put a piece of tape over the hole to record on it. I used to record over commercially-produced VHS tapes that way, like tapes that were given away in the mail.

Yeah but then it would just be one of those cheap like 30 minute tapes.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

escape artist posted:

Noroi, The Changeling, Mandy, Tenebrae, The Reanimator, Let The Right One In, Dead or Alive

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When is Shudder gonna get Miikes best film, The Happiness of the Katakuris

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Pomp posted:

I could've sworn it had it, but then I could also be confusing my watchlists from TubiTV and Hulu with my Shudder.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Well, that's an amazing list of recommendations, folks, and I don't think I'm gonna cancel it now.

Hollismason posted:

Why would you not renew?

Cheapness?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Pomp posted:

It had it for at least a year.

edit: It's still on Amazon Prime as a free rental.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Speaking of happiness of the katakuris, anyone else ever watch Battlefield Baseball? Really underrated and a similar sort of absurdist horror experience.

https://youtu.be/ocyUzoaoVfQ

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Scream is better movie than Hellraiser and it's not even close. Hellraiser is great and all but Scream is a nearly perfect movie. :colbert:

Not sure how another Scream movie could work though - another continuation of Sydney's story would be dumb, a faithful remake would be unnecessary, and a reboot with different characters might as well just be a different film. Lots of life left in Hellraiser though I think.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

escape artist posted:

Well, that's an amazing list of recommendations, folks, and I don't think I'm gonna cancel it now.

Cheapness?

It's 5 dollars a month.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Scream is better movie than Hellraiser and it's not even close. Hellraiser is great and all but Scream is a nearly perfect movie. :colbert:

Not sure how another Scream movie could work though - another continuation of Sydney's story would be dumb, a faithful remake would be unnecessary, and a reboot with different characters might as well just be a different film. Lots of life left in Hellraiser though I think.

I always found Scream just a little too on the nose myself.

That being said, I did like 4 a lot

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hellraiser is better than Scream, both as individual films and as series. Individually, maybe you could say that Scream is tighter, there are no wasted moments. Hellraiser moves ahead because of the special effects and because the premise is so unique and interesting and Bradley's Pinhead fully delivers on that premise.

As a series, I didn't really enjoy any of the Scream sequels, certainly not as much as Hellraiser II. To me Scream 4 is something about equal to Hellraiser Bloodlines. So the only truly worthy sequel between the two series is Hellbound.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

Well we're going to find out I am going this weekend to find a VHS player.

The other thing is that I noticed the copy tab has been broken off so I don't think you can tape over it.

"This weekend". Shithead, you're going to pull a "seven days..." stunt, aren't you?

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Shudder also does promos occasionally. In October I signed up for a year for like $35

I believe the 60 day free trial code is still working too ;

GROUPON60

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I’ve had good results selling old VHS on EBay. I just had 6 tapes that’s were just hours of uninterrupted local programming from ~1991 that sold for $15 .

I’m always down for some unmarked VHS. I’ve never found anything really interesting though.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m still proud of haggling down a VHS copy of Pi from $5.50 to $3.14

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Scream is an all-time Classic. Lillard 4 Lyfe.

Scream 2 is about twenty minutes too long and the identity reveal is baaaad.

Scream 3 is absolute dogshit

Scream 4 is a lot of fun!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

What I liked about Scream 4 is that it establishes a reason for the narrative.

Like, the thing that always bugged me about Scream 1 was that there never seemed to be a reason for them to be following horror film rules. Like, its characters in a horror film who know they are in a horror film but there never seemed to be a context to why they would be examining their situation through that lens.

Scream 4 ties the "horror movie rules" in universe better by talking about how the killings are attempting to create a narrative of the original killings. And that the narrative is explicitly a product of the media of that universe.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I agree you should never recast an iconic character. Sean Connery would make a fine Bond to this day.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen it a while, so correct me if I'm wrong:

Isn't the whole reasoning for the killers in Scream using the horror film context because they're wanting both notoriety for the killings, but also anonymity? They're framing it in a context where everyone involved can say "Oh, it's like a movie!" to distract everyone from the actual culprit(s), so the killer can "vanish", and with it his 'movie' motive, instead of their real motive.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Isn't the whole reasoning for the killers in Scream using the horror film context because they're wanting both notoriety for the killings, but also anonymity? They're framing it in a context where everyone involved can say "Oh, it's like a movie!" to distract everyone from the actual culprit(s), so the killer can "vanish", and with it his 'movie' motive, instead of their real motive.

If that was the reason it's pretty dope and I like it but I missed that myself

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I think the plan is to pin the crimes on Randy isn't it? And Randy is a known horror movie fanatic so that's why they're doing all that stuff to make it seem like a horror movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think the plan is to pin the crimes on Randy isn't it? And Randy is a known horror movie fanatic so that's why they're doing all that stuff to make it seem like a horror movie.

They were framing her father

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah that’s why they stab each other, to fake defensive wounds. The plan was always for Billy and Stu to get away with the murders, and maybe even be branded heroes after the fact for killing “the real killer” in the process.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If that was the reason it's pretty dope and I like it but I missed that myself

Basebf555 posted:

I looked it up, since I knew I was missing something. I'm pretty sure that's Billy's whole speech: how people are so obsessed with horror movies that they'll latch onto that because it's fun and cool, meanwhile they get away with murder just because they also seem like victims, while they actually put the blame on Sidney's father.

So they're using a horror movie context to distract from Billy's revenge motives against Sidney's family (Sid's mom had an affair with Billy's dad, causing Billy's mom to leave) while also blaming it on Sidney's family. I think the actual horror movie framing is Stu's idea. edit2: Like FartCity mentions, they're planning on killing Sidney's father, and then dress him up as the killer, so they can escape blame.

S'little confusing, to be honest.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

My take on it was much like how many seem to think real world relationships are like those in the rom-coms and all, the killers felt for killing to follow along with horror movie rules since that has to be how it works.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah yea that's right I forgot how they have the father tied up in the closet. I watch the movie every few years but that whole last third at the house party can be kind of a blur(but in a good way) if you aren't paying close attention.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Ah yea that's right I forgot how they have the father tied up in the closet. I watch the movie every few years but that whole last third at the house party can be kind of a blur(but in a good way) if you aren't paying close attention.

It's blasphemy, I know, but I always liked that Scary Movie changed the twist to the Billy & Stu characters being copy-cat killers for their convenience while the real Ghost Face was the Dewey parody. I kinda like the idea of two characters committing their own murders because there's a serial killer at work that they can conveniently blame it on.

M_Sinistrari posted:

My take on it was much like how many seem to think real world relationships are like those in the rom-coms and all, the killers felt for killing to follow along with horror movie rules since that has to be how it works.

I like this too. Billy is just as well-versed on the horror movie rules as Randy, he just plays dumb throughout. He specifically mentions having sex with Sidney so she can't survive for being a virgin (while also sociopathically committing "revenge" for her mother sleeping with his dad).

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 19, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

And then all of that interesting character work gets retconned to oblivion in 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I looked it up, since I knew I was missing something. I'm pretty sure that's Billy's whole speech: how people are so obsessed with horror movies that they'll latch onto that because it's fun and cool, meanwhile they get away with murder just because they also seem like victims, while they actually put the blame on Sidney's father.

So they're using a horror movie context to distract from Billy's revenge motives against Sidney's family (Sid's mom had an affair with Billy's dad, causing Billy's mom to leave) while also blaming it on Sidney's family. I think the actual horror movie framing is Stu's idea. edit2: Like FartCity mentions, they're planning on killing Sidney's father, and then dress him up as the killer, so they can escape blame.

S'little confusing, to be honest.

It does make me realize that a killer who kills in a way to appear mythic so people stop believing he is real would be interesting