Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Sydin posted:

Everybody has room to sign anybody. All 30 MLB teams could have given both Harper and Machado 10/300 contracts as soon as the offseason started and still be comfortably in the black. Disregard any owners who plead poverty.

Tampa fans in particular should be pissed. They could offer both of them 7 year, 210MM deals and they'd only be about middle of the road for payroll.They won a good amount of games last year, and those two would make them a force.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

All SS's can play 2B.

And 3rd

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Does Machado to SD mean he caved on his "SS or bust" demand? Can Tatis Jr play anything other than SS?

I'd assume Tatis Jr gets 2 months to learn 3B in AAA while delaying his clock, and the Pads decide who will make the smoothest transition to 3B whenever they're ready to call him up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

White Sox, not Cubs.

all owners are shitbags

they kept bringing back Hawk Harrelson so my point is still valid

also I'll put up a Spring Training N/V thread sometime Soon™

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

tadashi posted:

He can be inducted as a Cardinal but he cannot do anything to support them, maybe including wearing their merch , during his 10 year exclusive deal with the Angels unless they give him permission. It’s basically a no-compete clause, from the news at the time he signed.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/12/29/wisch-pujols-angels-contract-isnt-for-10-years-its-for-20/

A more recent article from stltoday states that it is entirely an option for Pujols and he can walk away at any time. So, maybe it's a 7 year and when he gets inducted he's done with it. Or he will piss off a bunch of St Louis people and keep it for all 10 while he is inducted as a cardinal. Who knows! Either way I don't really care as long as he's a Cardinal... which at this point it's almost a given.

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 19, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I always figured Pujols would go in with a blank cap.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

chilihead posted:

The Dodgers have about 45 million in completely useless salary that will be gone after this year.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

It seems they wanted to reset the tax, but that doesn't mean they won't spend money.
I am not the expert on the reset, was it last off season or is it this coming season?
I'm just bringing this up because, if it was during the past off season there is no reason they can't spend right now.

I'm gonna put them in first place as most likely mystery team on Harper.
Could be they were just waiting for the market to be set and they didn't like Machado.

They are going to gain 45 million next year just in "dead" contracts coming off the books, not even counting some other contracts ending.
Why not pay Harper now that the market is set at around 30 million.

The Padres are still paying like 20m to random dudes who aren’t on the team such as James Shields

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In that be a GM thing we did with the Padres in OOTP Tatis Jr and Mejia were both awesome. Urias was kinda underwhelming.

It is funny after that to see the Pads signing guys for big money irl because the owner kept us constantly poor as dirt in game.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Popete posted:

I figured this too until... he aged extremely poorly and had a horrible career with 13 playoff PA's with the Angels.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

HAL

HALLLLLLLLLLL

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Angry Grimace posted:

The Padres are still paying like 20m to random dudes who aren’t on the team such as James Shields

Yup they are still paying a small part of Kemps salary as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“We tried”

https://twitter.com/ken_rosenthal/status/1097938351850770432

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I wonder if the Nationals make a big play for Kimbrel / Keuchel / both if they don't land Harper.

Their bullpen is suspect as is the back end of the rotation.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Angry Grimace posted:

Paying James Shields to pitch for somebody else is a good use of payroll money.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1097939532568297472

Well, okay then.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/dodgers/status/1097931542112792576?s=21

rip

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Good for Manny and the Dads

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

RIP to one of the greats

https://twitter.com/dodgers/status/1097931542112792576?s=21

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

GalacticAcid posted:

I wonder if the Nationals make a big play for Kimbrel / Keuchel / both if they don't land Harper.

I still think the Indians should float a 2/40 offer to Craig Kimbrel. They’d have 2 legit closers and a few young fire ballers to get back to a lockdown bullpen, and the overwhelming pitching could make up for the lackluster outfield.

Give him a high AAV and let him roll the dice on being a free agent again soon. They can’t waste the last 2 years of this window before Bauer and Lindor become too expensive. I know they WON’T do it, but drat would they be scary if they did.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

resident posted:

I'd assume Tatis Jr gets 2 months to learn 3B in AAA while delaying his clock, and the Pads decide who will make the smoothest transition to 3B whenever they're ready to call him up.

Manny is playing third. Manny just wanted to get paid like a shortstop.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Paying James Shields to pitch for somebody else is a good use of payroll money.

He was traded to the White Sox for Fernando Tatis Jr.

White Sox lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah but then the Cubs traded them Cease and Eloy for an absolute lemon in Quintana, so the White Sox basically broke even.

e. That said they'd probably like it if the top prospect they gave up Sale for would put up something better than a .714 OPS

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I should've guessed AJ Preller goes all out for free agents because no GM will trade with him after his shenanigans.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

Why would anything he has done with the Angels warrant a blank cap? I don't know why he wouldn't go in as a Cardinal. The 10 year, 10mil personal services thing once he retires is weird and if it keeps him from being able to acknowledge the Cardinals when he goes into the Hall it'd just be an extra embarrassment for the Angels.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

GalacticAcid posted:

Both of those guys would probably put them over the luxury tax, and I think they are only willing to do that for Harper.

Honestly not super concerned about the back of the rotation. They have more depth than last year and I at least sort of buy Anibal Sanchez being a decent pitcher now. The bullpen pen being good is more or less totally reliant on some combination of Rosenthal coming back as good as he was before his injury, Doolittle staying healthy and maybe Kyle Barraclough figuring things out. If some of those gambles work out they could turn out pretty good. But it probably only takes one or two things going wrong for it to collapse. It would be great if they went after a reliable option like Kimbrel, I just don't think they really want to spend much more.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/mattgelb/status/1097944566941007872

https://twitter.com/toddzolecki/status/1097946190673600512

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I guess they meant "stupid money" in the sense of throwing money at McCutchen and Robertson when the smart thing to do would have been to throw it at Kimbrel, Corbin, Machado, and Harper.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well they have a very slim hope of salvaging the offseason and saving their franchise but now they are in a position where Boras has a lot of leverage on them

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

ZenVulgarity posted:

HAL

HALLLLLLLLLLL

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

DTaeKim posted:

I should've guessed AJ Preller goes all out for free agents because no GM will trade with him after his shenanigans.

He makes all sorts of trades all the time.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I think the Phillies have had a pretty good offseason even if they don't get Harper. Depends on your opinion of the guys they traded away I guess. I think Alfaro is going to be a good MLB player. Dunno about Sixto but he's high on all the prospect lists.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Lol this held up, buen post

https://twitter.com/MeekPhill_/status/1088891117272207363

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
It’s be really funny if the Sox immediately DFA’d Alonso and Jay.

I mean I love Jon Jay, but it’d be hilarious.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Good for Manny for getting paid but yeah I see why NYY wouldn't do that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I think the Phillies have had a pretty good offseason even if they don't get Harper. Depends on your opinion of the guys they traded away I guess. I think Alfaro is going to be a good MLB player. Dunno about Sixto but he's high on all the prospect lists.

I meant pr disaster

The other moves were fine.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Nodoze posted:

Good for Manny for getting paid but yeah I see why NYY wouldn't do that

I don't.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This Machado deal seems... good? He gets paid a lot of money, and hes young enough that SD could hypothetically build around him.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

seiferguy posted:

This Machado deal seems... good? He gets paid a lot of money, and hes young enough that SD could hypothetically build around him.

There are guys on the team who are older than Machado with less than 2 years service time. So yes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tampa fans in particular should be pissed. They could offer both of them 7 year, 210MM deals and they'd only be about middle of the road for payroll.They won a good amount of games last year, and those two would make them a force.

Keith Law actually suggested he wouldn’t be surprised if Tampa legit doesn’t have any money because nobody cares about baseball in Tampa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why is the luxury tax some big boogeyman? The penalties seem rather soft for going over. Didn't the Red Sox just pay $12 million and drop like 10 spots in the draft? Big loving whoop.

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1097561669377634304