Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

silicone thrills posted:

Open office floorplan problems - We have a company spotify playlist that we can all log into and add poo poo to which is fine. It's pretty eclectic. What isn't ok is some rear end in a top hat went over to the laptop that is hooked up to the speakers and changed it to play all amos lee all day. God drat monsters.

Everything about this sounds terrible.

*edit*

Worst page snipe ever.

Doing an FRS to DFSR migration, my first, for a larger client with a bunch of sites that have full DCs at them. Anything particularly crazy to watch out for? I've looked at the microsoft doc and basically what everything seems to boil down to is:

1) Don't start migrating if you are having replication issues
2) Make sure everything syncs up at each step before proceeding
3) Make sure replication isn't hosed afterwards
4) Don't proceed if you have replication issues at any point
5) Refer to #1 again

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

A shared office playlist would be trolled into oblivion in my workplace. My boss is That Guy who will drop $25 on a bar jukebox to play the same awful song for 2 hours straight. The experiment would be over before lunchtime.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We have clients in the studio pretty frequently so we did get a stern talking to after I threatened to put some Peaches on there.

We are a v hip long lived design company.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MF_James posted:

*edit*

Worst page snipe ever.

Doing an FRS to DFSR migration, my first, for a larger client with a bunch of sites that have full DCs at them. Anything particularly crazy to watch out for? I've looked at the microsoft doc and basically what everything seems to boil down to is:

5) Refer to #1 again

If it’s just the DCs that’s all there is to it. It’s dead easy

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MF_James posted:

FRS to DFSR migration

I get to do this at some point this year. We are going to finally get rid of the remaining 2003 DCs. Yes, we still have some.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

stevewm posted:

I get to do this at some point this year. We are going to finally get rid of the remaining 2003 DCs. Yes, we still have some.

Thankfully the clients I'm working with (currently...) don't have stuff that old. I've just never had to do it before because FRS still works until some update for 2016, so the clients we had coming from 2003 we didn't have to migrate and the ones that were brought up in 2008-2012r2 came up on DFSR.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would not be able to cope in an open plan office with a communal playlist running all day, sorry. If you can work with stuff constantly going on around you then great, but not everybody can. Somebody in our office today was coughing every minute or so and it took all my strength to not get up and tell them to go the gently caress home.

I wonder if studies have been done to show the savings from going open-plan vs. the lost productivity due to people being constantly distracted. Assuming it's even possible to put a figure on it.

MF_James posted:

5) Refer to #1 again

Pretty much it. Just be very patient and don't try to hurry anything along by touching each DC. You can turn the AD recycle bin on as well if the domains are old enough that it wasn't originally enabled.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 19, 2019

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MF_James posted:

*edit*

Worst page snipe ever.

5) Refer to #1 again

As Thants above me; just be patient and careful with the process.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

I wonder if studies have been done to show the savings from going open-plan vs. the lost productivity due to people being constantly distracted. Assuming it's even possible to put a figure on it.

My current place has the worst open office ever. Half a day wfh is more productive than 2 days in the office.

It’s 21 people and only 16 desks. There’s usually another 3-4 people hanging around discussing stuff. Daily standups result in the scrum master asking everyone else to be quiet for 15 minutes because it’s noisey you just can’t hear what the people standing 3ft away from you are saying.

When not talking to colleagues I wear a over ear headphone and the volume needs to be pretty high to block out the noise.

Working inside a DC is probably more quiet than this.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

LochNessMonster posted:

My current place has the worst open office ever. Half a day wfh is more productive than 2 days in the office.

It’s 21 people and only 16 desks. There’s usually another 3-4 people hanging around discussing stuff. Daily standups result in the scrum master asking everyone else to be quiet for 15 minutes because it’s noisey you just can’t hear what the people standing 3ft away from you are saying.

When not talking to colleagues I wear a over ear headphone and the volume needs to be pretty high to block out the noise.

Working inside a DC is probably more quiet than this.

I have a dipshit coworker who will test switches and poo poo at his desk in our open office.

We're all going to murder him soon. Not even my bose over ear noise cancelling headphones can tune out the whining of a cisco fan.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

I have a dipshit coworker who will test switches and poo poo at his desk in our open office.

We're all going to murder him soon. Not even my bose over ear noise cancelling headphones can tune out the whining of a cisco fan.

Hello. This is what happens when you force us out of the network cave. We start setting poo poo up where everyone can hear the glory of a new switch preparing for take off.

Send us back.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

Where else is he supposed to test them? Murder management who made the OO decision instead

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CloFan posted:

Where else is he supposed to test them? Murder management who made the OO decision instead

He could test them in our server rooms that have actual space for that.

Also I do hate management for the open office.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Thanks Ants posted:

Would not be able to cope in an open plan office with a communal playlist running all day, sorry. If you can work with stuff constantly going on around you then great, but not everybody can. Somebody in our office today was coughing every minute or so and it took all my strength to not get up and tell them to go the gently caress home.

Today was the loudest day for a while, lots of outages and stuff, but the cube to my right had a manager and my coworker on a conference call(speaker phone), that another manager and coworker were speaker calling into 2 cubes to my left(like both of these cubes had a manager listening and speaking into the call over the cube residents shoulder),and my direct boss in his office across the room was also using speaker on the same call. It was loving surreal

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd have to leave

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

We do open office plans here pretty extensively. However, we're not idiots, there are a ton of breakout rooms sized for 1 or 2 people. Need to put your head down and pound out some work ? Grab a breakout room. Call on speakerphone ? Grab a room. Need to huddle up ? Plenty of conference rooms with easy reservations and integrated Google Meet screens. The actual open space desks are height-adjustable and have either 2x24" displays or 1x36" curved screens.

Between that and generous WFH policies our OO spaces are as good as they get.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Our new floors are similar except for the unassigned seating and oversubscribed space. The only major issue is the queue for the Starbucks machine at all times of the day.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
they should like, create these little mini-rooms in office spaces instead, like walls that are high enough to block noise and give you a little privacy, but you can still peer over them or walk around, and they don't have doors. Your mechanical keyboard, ergonomic mouse + preferred monitor configuration could just stay in this square space permanently along with a little filing cabinet. You could actually store poo poo in the cabinet. you could put a whiteboard on one of the noise & movement blocking walls, or a photo of your cat/"girlfriend". You could also keep your chair in this space, so it doesn't need constant readjustment or swapping out because that gross guy got weird white stains on the seat.

they should do that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

We have close to 50ish employees doing an open office thing with execs/pms getting offices ostensibly because they have to use their phones. I haven't particularly noticed the sound level being all that high all things considered. Although I kinda wanna chock it up to a noise cancelling system that we got installed that is a closely guarded secret known only to the three IT staff, the contractors, and the CEO, because apparently if you tell people about it people start getting all weird about it. Which is fair, because I know about it and I'm trying to figure out if its confirmation bias or not that I think it may be working.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'd way rather work in a datacenter than a cacophonous open office.

Its way easier to block out white fan noise with a pair of earplugs and headphones than voices.

Also the temperature is *italian chef kissing fingers*

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

We have a remodel coming that keeps getting pushed back.

The most recent time is because a VP saw what desk he was getting and threw a fit.

They're trying to put everyone, including executives, in half-height wall cube clusters.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Methanar posted:

Its way easier to block out white fan noise with a pair of earplugs and headphones than voices.

*wears a parka into the data center* no.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

silicone thrills posted:

*wears a parka into the data center* no.

you're going to the wrong datacenters

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think I'm the only person here who actually likes open offices.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I thought people were moving away from excessively cooling their datacentres now

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Methanar posted:

Canadian spotted.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think I'm the only person here who actually likes open offices.

Think it totally depends on the company attitude to it, and as mentioned earlier the provision and enforcement(?) of breakout rooms for talking/phone calls etc.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Fool posted:

They're trying to put everyone, including executives, in half-height wall cube clusters.

This owns.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
My favorite are the open office environments that are so religious about silence that nobody talks in them, essentially making it a big coworking space for everyone to drive an hour to so they can work remote

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

My favorite are the open office environments that are so religious about silence that nobody talks in them, essentially making it a big coworking space for everyone to drive an hour to so they can work remote

I worked like this at one place, it was great! The only issue was that my cubicle was right next to my manager, so I couldn't browse the forums and youtube as much as I wanted.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Vulture Culture posted:

This bothers the heck out of me, if I ever need to make a call in a dead silent room makes me mega anxious.

But at the same time overly loud open offices are sheer hell, there's just no winning when it comes to it. Ours is fairly tame but each floor has a mini open kitchen which usually get commandeered by crowds of people having a chat, gets annoying when I just want to get in/out for a cup of tea or coffee.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What's the feeling on taking udemy courses to learn Linux administration? Has anyone taken linux courses through that platform and had success? I'm looking at this bundle in particular: https://josephdelgadillo.com/product/linux-course-bundle/

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Tetramin posted:

Today was the loudest day for a while, lots of outages and stuff, but the cube to my right had a manager and my coworker on a conference call(speaker phone), that another manager and coworker were speaker calling into 2 cubes to my left(like both of these cubes had a manager listening and speaking into the call over the cube residents shoulder),and my direct boss in his office across the room was also using speaker on the same call. It was loving surreal

I once worked in an office that had sound cancelling speakers mounted in the ceiling throughout the floor. It was weird that I never noticed them but I also noticed that sound just did not carry. There were no echoes at all and the floor was quite civilized.

Do people not use them anymore?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Coredump posted:

What's the feeling on taking udemy courses to learn Linux administration? Has anyone taken linux courses through that platform and had success? I'm looking at this bundle in particular: https://josephdelgadillo.com/product/linux-course-bundle/

What do you want to achieve exactly? You will not become an admin by following a (few) course(s). It’s mostly just practise and doing it.

I usually recommend prepping for and taking the RHCSA exam to get a decent base level of knowledge. Since it’s a hands on exam it’ll force you to practise stuff until you know it by heart (or look things up in man quick enough).

Preparing for it can be done in many ways. I don’t know the exact course you linked but udemy is usually quite ok. As for other options, the books of Jang and van Vugt get mentioned as a way to prep for the exams.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Agrikk posted:

I once worked in an office that had sound cancelling speakers mounted in the ceiling throughout the floor. It was weird that I never noticed them but I also noticed that sound just did not carry. There were no echoes at all and the floor was quite civilized.

Sounds like that sort of thing costs money, buster!

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Our Print Modernization project is almost done! Papercut is neat, central print queues are neat, and not having to deal with 900 print queues is neat.

Know what's not neat? Our overly enthusiastic PFY. This was his project because he's the only non burnout in the company willing to take on printers. And the way he goes on about it you'd think the loving things were dispensing blowjobs and forgiving sins. Good God Almighty if I have to hear an unprompted evangelical session about glorious Konica Minolta one more time I'm liable to scream and never stop.

There's seriously not enough caffeine and amphetamines in the world to keep me awake today I swear to GOD there will be a reckoning if I hear about paper weight or stapling capacity or pages per minute again.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Agrikk posted:

We sell those thanks to the new acquisition we just made and they are quite awesome.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

Yes, when I worked at $JOB-1 it was installed on every floor (they're really white noise generators that adjust based on the ambient noise). One day they didn't switch on in the AM and EVERYBODY WAS SO LOUD AND THE ENTIRE FLOOR WAS LIKE A BIG AMPLIFYING ECHO CHAMBER.

That was the day everyone was sold on the system. It had worked so well, it was completely unnoticeable until it stopped working.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We have them as well and they help a lot. If they're off, you'll notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Coredump posted:

Udemy doesn't have any real quality standards or oversight. They're a publishing platform for individuals, many of whom just pirate their course materials from other sites and sell them on Udemy. You can do worse than their Restaurant.com-style $10-for-any-course deals that they run a couple times a year, but the quality usually doesn't match Udacity or Pluralsight or Coursera.