Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
JUSTICE HAS PREVAILED

also fuckin sack michael christian already you clowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

That list assessment is so off the mark it's not even laughable. How the gently caress is our list worse off than Brisbane's? Honestly, just loving how? Same old 'No More Priddis, Wooden Spoon' nonsense as last year.

St Kilda and Carlton above Freo?

Yeah, they're smoking :catdrugs:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
The AFL just need to open their data up like the MLB and just let the public go at it and do some interesting analysis

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Spedman posted:

The AFL just need to open their data up like the MLB and just let the public go at it and do some interesting analysis

I think the betting companies want that kept secret

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Diet Crack posted:

That list assessment is so off the mark it's not even laughable. How the gently caress is our list worse off than Brisbane's? Honestly, just loving how? Same old 'No More Priddis, Wooden Spoon' nonsense as last year.

St Kilda and Carlton above Freo?

Yeah, they're smoking :catdrugs:

What exactly is confusing about that? Our season last year was poo poo but brought on by a bunch of reasons of which many have been rectified. Have you actually looked at Carltons list?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nutsngum posted:

What exactly is confusing about that? Our season last year was poo poo but brought on by a bunch of reasons of which many have been rectified. Have you actually looked at Carltons list?

Carlton is a season ending injury to Cripps away from finishing with negative points

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I find it really hard to understand the CD ladder rankings. They're based on statistics, not potential or anything like that, right? So surely the teams that have performed the best (say, for instance, the reigning premiers) would have the best stats and be rated higher? Or, if not, it demonstrates that CD are weighing up their stats incorrectly?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cmndstab posted:

I find it really hard to understand the CD ladder rankings. They're based on statistics, not potential or anything like that, right? So surely the teams that have performed the best (say, for instance, the reigning premiers) would have the best stats and be rated higher? Or, if not, it demonstrates that CD are weighing up their stats incorrectly?

It's not the team stats, it's the individual player stats, and then the teams players are added together to get one number. Since AFL squads are too big to pull a Golden State Warriors, it means the highest rated squads probably have more middle ranked players than everyone else.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 20, 2019

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
The point is that the way the individual stats are compiled in a way that has its own bias as well. A players statistical value is still subject to a number of assumptions that CD are putting in place. This is why midfielders and high possession players are consistently rated as the best players in the league whereas non-ruck KPP get nothing, particularly key defenders.

Because of the way that CD assigns value to individual players that problem is exacerbated when they do the list ratings, and it's ended up spitting out nonsense like this.

Fremantle won 8 games last year, added 2 high quality key position talents, lost a high performing midfielder, but CD rate them as being the 2nd worst list in the league? That's absolute nonsense to anybody who watched footy last year.

It's not to say there's a simple answer to fix this this but surely at some level when you crunch all your numbers and end up with a list like that, there should be a bit of alarm bells going off internally that CD have got some wrong assumptions in place before they release that to the public.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

It's not the team stats, it's the individual player stats, and then the teams players are added together to get one number. Since AFL squads are too big to pull a Golden State Warriors, it means the highest rated squads probably have more middle ranked players than everyone else.

That would explain the Crows being so high. We have an extraordinary number of okay but never going to be a star depth players.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

It's not to say there's a simple answer to fix this this but surely at some level when you crunch all your numbers and end up with a list like that, there should be a bit of alarm bells going off internally that CD have got some wrong assumptions in place before they release that to the public.

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if there was one list released to the public, and another list released to the clubs.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I would imagine champion do little actual analysis for clubs, who would mostly have in house analysts that work off the raw data champion give

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Maybe someone should save that list for the end of the season so we can see how far from the mark they are. I dare say the original image will vanish the instant it starts looking wrong.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Maybe someone should save that list for the end of the season so we can see how far from the mark they are. I dare say the original image will vanish the instant it starts looking wrong.

Here is last years (I’m comparing to post finals ranking, determining that if you got knocked out in the same week the team that lost to the opponent who is ranked higher at the end gets ranked higher)

quote:

Champion Data's list ratings heading into 2018:

1. Sydney(+7)
2. Port Adelaide(+8)
3. Adelaide (+9)
4. GWS(+1)
5. Melbourne(-2)
6. Geelong(+1)
7. Western Bulldogs (+6)
8. Richmond(-4)
9. Hawthorn(-3)
10. Collingwood(-8)
11. Essendon (0)
12. West Coast(-11)
13. North Melbourne(-4)
14. St Kilda(+2)
15. Gold Coast(+2)
16. Brisbane(-1)
17. Fremantle(-3)
18. Carlton(0)

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/champion-data-rate-each-list-coming-into-2018-83391

They’re a lot better at picking the bottom than the top. An average of 4 spots off across the whole ladder.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
If they sell the match worn AFLX guernseys I'm seriously contemplating buying Jade Gresham's.

Mainly because I think this'll be the only time this poo poo show happens and it has "Gresh" as his name on it so it'll be both super rare and a great memento of the AFLs stupidity. Plus Gresham is going to be a superstar :swoon:.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I just looked at the AFLX teams and it turns out each of the bullshit made up teams have their own specific sponsor.

I was looking up the teams to see who was going to pull out last minute with "general soreness" etc. And I am surprised that it is so few. I expected a lot more.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

Here is last years (I’m comparing to post finals ranking, determining that if you got knocked out in the same week the team that lost to the opponent who is ranked higher at the end gets ranked higher)

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/champion-data-rate-each-list-coming-into-2018-83391

They’re a lot better at picking the bottom than the top. An average of 4 spots off across the whole ladder.

That's not too bad really, only a handful of real howlers, the rest are around the mark.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Periphery posted:

If they sell the match worn AFLX guernseys I'm seriously contemplating buying Jade Gresham's.

Mainly because I think this'll be the only time this poo poo show happens and it has "Gresh" as his name on it so it'll be both super rare and a great memento of the AFLs stupidity. Plus Gresham is going to be a superstar :swoon:.

I read that to mean he's probably out of AFLX but I could be wrong

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

I read that to mean he's probably out of AFLX but I could be wrong

I think that's saying that 4 Saints players playing AFLX wont be playing the intraclub cause it's the day after AFLX. I think.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Periphery posted:

I think that's saying that 4 Saints players playing AFLX wont be playing the intraclub cause it's the day after AFLX. I think.

I did wonder if that was the case.

Speaking of AFLX:

quote:

Marvel Stadium is Australia’s version of the magic lands at the top of Enid Blyton’s Faraway Tree. Last week’s cricket BBL fantasy land has moved on, to be replaced by an enchanted realm called AFLX. I do so hope that Joe, Beth and Fanny made it down in time for tea.

X sounds like a truly marvellous place, “with an action packed line-up of activities including rock climbing walls, face painting, balloon artists, roving entertainment, giveaways plus much more”. That is not Blyton, but the AFL website.

It may or may not also feature football; at the time of writing, that was like the Faraway Tree, a bit up in the cloudy air.

But enough of the facts. The question now about X is the one mathematicians ask: what is it?

Is it for players? No, they’re racing for the exits in their droves, giving rise to fears about a quorum. Star turn of the roving entertainment: the astonishing disappearing footballer. For every giveaway, a getaway, up over the climbing wall. A batch from Hawthorn appear to have developed “general soreness” in advance. Port Adelaide’s Robbie Gray felt a hamstring coming on weeks ago.

Is it for fans? If so, they’re scarcely racing for the entrances in droves. Ticket prices have been reduced, and AFL members can get in for free. So can kids. It’s the modern sports administrator’s infallible, all-purpose, go-everywhere, no-questions-asked alibi: it’s all for the kiddies.

But poor darlings: they’ve barely let the air out of their thundersticks and now they’re going to have to paint their faces all over again.

Is it for women? Can’t be, or else the AFL wouldn’t stage it at the same time as its still emerging women’s competition, surely? Surely?

Is it for TV? Well, der. But only a bit. The AFLX draft was pre-recorded and put to air 24 hours later, and no-one tumbled to it. You’d think that someone would have cared enough to leak it ...

Is it to promote the game in the non-AFL states? That is, can they be lured away from their long-established, culturally-embedded contact football codes by AFL lite, sans the game’s two most distinct and saleable elements, 360-degree contact and high marking, in other words a shadow version of a code they don’t understand and don’t much care for anyway?

Is X for the international market, as we’re told, because it fits on a soccer pitch? But it occurs to us that there already is a code that is played on a soccer pitch, and it has built up quite a following of its own around the world, and if you give it a bit of time will probably do very well. It’s called soccer.

Is it specifically to expose the game in China? Um, do you think there’s much about the AFL that China doesn’t already know? Chances are there is a hacker or two in China who by now knows more about AFL than Leigh Matthews.

Is X for the AFL itself? Emphatically, yes. We think. Maybe. Perhaps. They’ll get back to us. Last year, the X series was between all 18 real teams across three nights, in three cities. This year, it’s four scratch teams, one city and one night, or as the AFL puts it, trying to make it sound preciously scarce, “one night only”.

That looks and sounds very much like what economists would call “negative growth”. That looks and sounds very much like the AFL saying what it has never said before: we were, um, you know, wro… wron …

Right, as we always are, except for the number of teams, the venues, the format and the rules.

This year, AFLX is all new, as distinct from last year, when it was all new. The teams will have funky names and guernseys. The stars are going to dress up as superheroes, or in Patrick Dangerfield’s case, dress down as a superhero. There’s going to be on each team a nominated game-changer, whose scores will count for double in the last five minutes, and no Carlton, you can’t have one.

There’s going to be … oh, honestly, who cares? With the big dance just around the corner, who among clubs, players and fans really gives a stuff about a pajama party? Why have we been tricked into allowing it to take up even this many column centimetres? It must be the kids.

The AFL can hype and pipe all it wants, but the true unknown about X is why?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

quote:

Is X for the international market, as we’re told, because it fits on a soccer pitch? But it occurs to us that there already is a code that is played on a soccer pitch, and it has built up quite a following of its own around the world, and if you give it a bit of time will probably do very well. It’s called soccer.

This is such a poo poo argument.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
A better argument would be why is AFLX being played in Melbourne, the home of afl?

Why isn't it being played in London, Munich, Rio, New York, LA? Places that love sport and have the rectangle grounds it can be played on. If you want to capture an international market you've got to play the exhibition games there. Which is why the VFL in the 70s and 80s played games in London and LA.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

I did wonder if that was the case.

Speaking of AFLX:

Who wrote this?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

drunkill posted:

A better argument would be why is AFLX being played in Melbourne, the home of afl?

Why isn't it being played in London, Munich, Rio, New York, LA? Places that love sport and have the rectangle grounds it can be played on. If you want to capture an international market you've got to play the exhibition games there. Which is why the VFL in the 70s and 80s played games in London and LA.

I don't understand quite how this is supposed to capture the international market. Is it because traditional AFL is, well, Calvinball but real? I know that when my friends and I stumbled onto the 2010 Grand Final on tv here at like 1am that's what we intriguing to us. It was kind of inscrutable at first but that was the appeal. I almost feel like if I watched AFLX and was like "gently caress yeah" and then tuned into regular AFL I'd be even more confused?

It just seems rear end-backwards to me.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

mactheknife posted:

I don't understand quite how this is supposed to capture the international market. Is it because traditional AFL is, well, Calvinball but real? I know that when my friends and I stumbled onto the 2010 Grand Final on tv here at like 1am that's what we intriguing to us. It was kind of inscrutable at first but that was the appeal. I almost feel like if I watched AFLX and was like "gently caress yeah" and then tuned into regular AFL I'd be even more confused?

It just seems rear end-backwards to me.

Yeah it makes little sense to me. I mean, from the beginning the name is an issue. The code is still "Australian Rules Football" despite the AFL doing all it can to basically rename it. I'm not a think tank but surely something that gave an idea about what the hell it actually is to begin with might help. Oz Footy 7s or something that described what it was all about might help.

I guess there is some sort of transition to regular footy but making overseas audiences take it on enmasse is basically impossible. China might be the best bet due it to still being a young market but the rest of the world has Soccer and American Football to fill that winter sport need.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
https://twitter.com/stevo7afl/status/1098133736476962816?s=21

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The AFL is introducing interchange emoji boards for coaches to communicate with players from the sideline

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

The AFL is introducing interchange emoji boards for coaches to communicate with players from the sideline

*Dangerfield dabs and flosses in response*

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Solemn Sloth posted:

it is again hard to tell if this is real

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snoremac posted:

🙏🦶🐣

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

snoremac posted:

:getout:

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

drunkill posted:

If I wanted to promote AFL I wouldn't put this Neo Yokio version up in the shop window.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Oh yeah for sure.

But the AFL pushed AFLX as a game to play overseas where they have soccer pitches instead of ovals. They went ahead and made it real using the excuse of overseas markets as the reason it exists.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

This was my argument. AFLX is supposedly the code for us, who can put together 9-a-side on rectangular grounds and stumble on a full-size oval once a year (and dear god the difference is massive).

But it’s being played in Melbourne. And I don’t think it’s streaming free on Watch AFL, though it is going to be there.

They also played exhibition games in baseball grounds in Japan, which was partially the roots of the game here.

https://youtu.be/GTyfchftMhY

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/JamColley/status/1098392868488601600?s=19

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Aussie rules football but it's played over a 6 square mile expanse in the outback. Each team has two pickup trucks and eight dirt bikes which it may use to move team members around. The bounce rule still applies with no change to the minimum distance, even while aboard a vehicle. Each pickup truck has a mortar in the flatbed capable of firing a ball. Firing a ball from the mortar counts as a kick. There are three balls in play.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

Aussie rules football but it's played over a 6 square mile expanse in the outback. Each team has two pickup trucks and eight dirt bikes which it may use to move team members around. The bounce rule still applies with no change to the minimum distance, even while aboard a vehicle. Each pickup truck has a mortar in the flatbed capable of firing a ball. Firing a ball from the mortar counts as a kick. There are three balls in play.

Sounds like you need to see Jon Bois of SB Nation's 17776 Football article.

[edit] VVVVVVV THREE FOOTIES! THREE ACRES! THREE THOUSAND GIANTS SEASON MEMBERS!!

harperdc fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 21, 2019

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

just make AFLX the Great Outdoor Fight and be done with it

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
gently caress it, just make AFLX: Battle Royale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

harperdc posted:

[edit] VVVVVVV THREE FOOTIES! THREE ACRES! THREE THOUSAND GIANTS SEASON MEMBERS!!

Now we're talkin