Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

The Ninth Layer posted:

I saw an article claiming Floyd told TMZ he plans to do more bullshit $10 million exhibition fights in Japan sometime in June or July, since those fights are basically risk free paychecks for him compared to having to fight real opponents. I don't know how true this is but yeah lol it sure does sound like a Mayweather move.

good for him. he's old as gently caress, has very few lingering questions about how good he really was, and making 10 million with zero risk of head trauma or 36 million for fighting a world class fighter seems like a no brainer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pretty interesting interview with Bob Arum on Bill Simmons' podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qG5rV5wq14

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This Fundora kid is gonna be nice when he fills out that frame

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Omar Figueroa Jr-John Molina Jr is going to form: Figueroa badly missed weight and it's sloppy as hell.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
EDIT: Double post for double washed as hell boxers suffixed Junior.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm in discord for the PBC card.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Unfortunately Fury-Wilder 2 probably died today

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/1097467176934621190?s=19

Edit: official announcement from Top Rank

https://twitter.com/trboxing/status/1097469529133699073?s=19

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 18, 2019

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I will die on the hill that Tyson Fury is a loving joke of a fighter and that the first fight sucked huge rear end but boxing fans should be indignant as hell that these fighter/promoter/tv channel combo deals are absolutely killing all the matchups that the sports needs to be made.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
glad the rigged rematch didn't go through like with Canelo-GGG

as much as I'd like to have seen it, it's the principle

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I understand this complicated things but I’m not sure how this totally scuttles things if the WBC ordered Wilder/Fury to have an immediate rematch.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
No one cares what the WBC says, the only thing that I think doesn't scuttle it is the fact that it's the biggest payday available to all parties involved.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The Manuel Charr/Fres Oquendo WBA regular title fight that has been on and off for what seems like years has finally been cancelled, potentially forever, after Oquendo missed the deadline to sign the contract. Very much hope so, as Oquendo is 45 years old, hasn't fought in 5 years, and who's prime was 15 years ago. The "WBA Regular" title is obviously not a real title anyways, and Charr isn't even a legitimate top 10 heavyweight, but this would have been the biggest farce of a "title" fight, maybe of all time.

Charr might have to fight Trevor Bryan next instead, who's basically a nobody but is at least young and undefeated. Bryan probably wins because Charr sucks, which would turn Bryan into somewhat of a real contender in the division.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Gozinbulx posted:

No one cares what the WBC says, the only thing that I think doesn't scuttle it is the fact that it's the biggest payday available to all parties involved.

The WBC could strip Wilder for not fighting Fury, unless it's Fury who refuses to fight, so Wilder does somewhat care about what the WBC says, as least as long as not getting stripped is concerned.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Surely having the belt would help him negotiate a much higher payday if the rematch is called off and he fights AJ instead though

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Apparently Usyk vs Povetkin at heavyweight is in the works for May. On paper this is a stiff test for Usyk, but Povetkin is almost 40, a blown up cruiserweight himself, and arguably lost to Marco Huck 7 years ago. Usyk probably works him over, but it could end up being a pretty good fight.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Povetkin sucks and in retrospect was overhyped

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Povetkin sucks and in retrospect was overhyped

Would you pick him over

Oscar Rivas
Jarrell Miller
Dominic Brezeale
Adam Kownacki
Kubrat Pulev

If you said yes to at least two of those then imo Povetkin does not suck

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean I'm definitely being hyperbolic but he's definitely washed or close to it as his current age and there are levels. Sure, he might be able to beat B fighters, but I don't think he can beat an A fighter.

I do get that as a gold medalist and a minor titlist who held very good rankings within his division, he doesn't actually suck but I just don't think he's a top fighter anymore and in retrospect I'm not sure if he ever was.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Povetkin is one of the weirdest heavyweights of all time because he's been a legitimate top 5 heavyweight for over a decade (pretty much since he beat Chris Byrd and Eddie Chambers in late 2007/early 2008), has an impeccable pedigree (amateur star, Olympic gold medallist), and even has a great record and has fought and beaten a lot of good fighters, and yet has always been a complete afterthought, has always perceived as vulnerable, and was never as good as his rating and pedigree indicated. He's like a world-class level Brian Nielsen or something.

Also - somehow Anthony Dirrell is facing "Avni Yildirim" for the WBC super middleweight title this weekend, despite Callum Smith holding the "WBC Diamond title" in the same division. The Super Middleweight division is brutal at the moment.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You don't have to use quotes, Avni Yildirim is his real name

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AJ uploading all his fights to youtube

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nice. I wish more fights were put up on youtube especially recent ones. It's not like there's a huge market for old boxing DVDs or anything.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

You don't have to use quotes, Avni Yildirim is his real name

Quotes because who the gently caress is Avni Yildirim and why is he getting a title shot.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Quotes because who the gently caress is Avni Yildirim and why is he getting a title shot.

David Benavidez did his best Kalle Sauerland impression

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I saw him lose to Eubank in the WBSS, which isn't great but he's a ranked fighter in the division and I don't think Dirrell is so good that this is mismatch. I guess I could be underrating Dirrel because I always get the brothers mixed up.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
AJ having some argy bargy in the current promotional tore with Big Baby.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

willie_dee posted:

AJ having some argy bargy in the current promotional tore with Big Baby.

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1097991333367697409?s=19

It's me. I am the guy who pushes someone then immediately walks backwards

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Why is everyone so angry all the time, they should be happy they get to do their hobby as a job.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/20/jarrell-miller-boxing-anthony-joshua-heavyweight

Is there any truth that AJ has "TUE test exemptions for testosterone and all kinds of poo poo”?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
AJ is putting out his own content, and its pretty good and seems to be fairly honest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LgrRUs75j8

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
the Cold War of DAZN/Matchroom v ESPN/Top Rank v PBC/Haymon will sadly be more interesting than any fight in the next six months

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Monday Bandele posted:

the Cold War of DAZN/Matchroom v ESPN/Top Rank v PBC/Haymon will sadly be more interesting than any fight in the next six months

Canelo-Jacobs tho

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
A story in two tweets

https://twitter.com/BScene_Forums/status/1098902103181877249?s=19

https://twitter.com/ITVBoxing/status/1098935619605139456?s=19

Though to Boxing Scene's credit round is a shape

A preview of a few minutes after the fight with Joe Joyce

https://twitter.com/RatCatcherMpls/status/1098966254008832001?s=19

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 22, 2019

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Joyce/Stiverne is apparently for the WBA eliminator for Manuel Charr? Maybe the biggest joke for a "title eliminator" ever.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Joyce/Stiverne is apparently for the WBA eliminator for Manuel Charr? Maybe the biggest joke for a "title eliminator" ever.

At this point I just have to hand it to the WBA for being able to somehow get 3% of the purse of every fight that takes place anywhere in the world.

Also apparently Canelo is thinking of maybe moving up to 175 at some point. A 5'7" light heavyweight? Why not

Canelo via BoxingScene posted:

"We do not rule out the possibility (of fighting at 175 pounds)," said Canelo to ESPN Deportes. "At this moment we have other things in mind, but the possibility exists. It's a huge challenge, but it's the type of things that I like, I know (Sergey) Kovalev since I was 20 years old, and why not, we could make a fight between us and I like those challenges, there is the possibility of making that fight."

https://www.boxingscene.com/canelo-not-ruling-out-future-fight-175-facing-kovalev--136505?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 23, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The SituAsian posted:

Also apparently Canelo is thinking of maybe moving up to 175 at some point. A 5'7" light heavyweight? Why not

He saw those pics of Maidana.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i'd say maybe try 168 first but when you know you only need to avoid getting knocked out to win why wouldn't you risk it

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

triple j putting on a big dramashow against stiverne here

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
man stiverne needs to retire every time i see that big boy he's just eaten'm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat CRime