Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Air fryers are miniature portable convection ovens. Can't fit much in it, either. Probably OK if you don't have a real oven. Definitely not oil frying or pressure cooking related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I made the Serious Eats pressure cooker mushroom risotto last night, and it was incredibly delicious and easy:

The only change I made was using 5 cups of broth instead of the 4 that the recipe calls for. A couple comments mentioned this and said that 4 cups leads to a more al dente texture while 5 was creamier and I prefer that for my risotto.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i want to make this SE miso risotto recipe soon:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/pressure-cooker-miso-risotto-recipe.html

what can i sub for the sake? no alcohol

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/10/pressure-cooker-miso-risotto-recipe.html

Mirin can work in some recipes but it is a bit sweeter. It looks like you can also do some diluted rice wine vinegar: https://www.cookinglight.com/cooking-101/essential-ingredients/substitutes-for-sake

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
We just got an instapot and I’m going to cook a pork butt for chili verde tonight. My plan is a super lazy version using some chopped onion and pre-made hatch chili salsa. Are there general braising guidelines I should go by regarding amount of liquid and cook time? I don’t have any issues doing this kind of thing in the oven, but haven’t used a pressure cooking for braising before.

Goal is pull-apart texture. Instapot meat chart says 15 min/lb for pork shoulder; I assume I should go for 20 for the softer texture? The butt is 2-3 lbs and we have a 6 qt cooker; would something like 2 cups of liquid be too much, not enough? I’m used to eyeballing braises according to how deep the meat is submerged but I’m not sure how the pressure cooker changes that.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Random Hero posted:

I made the Serious Eats pressure cooker mushroom risotto last night, and it was incredibly delicious and easy:

The only change I made was using 5 cups of broth instead of the 4 that the recipe calls for. A couple comments mentioned this and said that 4 cups leads to a more al dente texture while 5 was creamier and I prefer that for my risotto.

Looks good, what's the meat? It looks good too.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Trastion posted:

Looks good, what's the meat? It looks good too.

72hr sous vide short rib.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

BraveUlysses posted:

You can almost always sub in seasoned (ie salted) water in things like this and it should come out just fine. The diluted rice vinegar solution is a good one (or just a more neutral vinegar depending what you have on hand), and watered down vegetable broth would work as well. The most important part is to just make sure everything’s properly seasoned. You might not get the pinnacle of flavor but you’ll get something that tastes good without having to go buy extra stuff.

Like braising chicken thighs with some chopped onion with seasoned water for your liquid can turn out completely delicious and takes 10 minutes to prep, sear, and get in the oven.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah i mean the recipe has 4c of stock in it already so the sake is just for deglazing and a bit of flavor different from the stock

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I made some congee using brown rice and I put in a dozen golf ball sized pork meatballs before pressure cooking on high for 30 minutes. The rice was smooshed into smithereens the way I like it but I found that the meatballs were still way undercooked and reddish-pink. How is that possible? If I put in a chunk of stew meat for 30 minutes it's super tender and falling off the bone. But the pork was like raw.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

idiotsavant posted:

We just got an instapot and I’m going to cook a pork butt for chili verde tonight. My plan is a super lazy version using some chopped onion and pre-made hatch chili salsa. Are there general braising guidelines I should go by regarding amount of liquid and cook time? I don’t have any issues doing this kind of thing in the oven, but haven’t used a pressure cooking for braising before.

How did it go?

You need 1 cup of liquid including ingredients so for example if you add tomatoes or onions you can reduce the amount of water. There some recipes with no added liquid and they work because of all the liquid in the ingredients. The more liquid, the longer it takes to come up to pressure.

I've found the IP cooking chart to be accurate except for intact pork shoulders/picnics. I have to cook them way longer for pull apart tenderness. And our family likes them a little more tender so I've started cutting roasts into chunks for faster cooking.

I made beef ribs the other day in the IP and browned then under the broiler, delicious. Beef ribs in about 45 minutes total. I saved the liquid and used it in another dish. Saved the bones to make stock. IP is definitely the best kitchen thing we've bought in a long time.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mu Zeta posted:

I made some congee using brown rice and I put in a dozen golf ball sized pork meatballs before pressure cooking on high for 30 minutes. The rice was smooshed into smithereens the way I like it but I found that the meatballs were still way undercooked and reddish-pink. How is that possible? If I put in a chunk of stew meat for 30 minutes it's super tender and falling off the bone. But the pork was like raw.
That's odd. I've done golf ball sized meatballs in my IP several times (ground turkey and/or
beef, not pork, but it shouldn't matter). Although I usually cook them in a red sauce or a broth.

Maybe you didn't have enough liquid to transmit the heat through the meatballs?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i've got a chuck roast and a new instant pot, and i want pot roast. throw me your best recipe!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Fish sauce takes that roast next level. I don't even know how I cook it until I start but adding fish sauce makes it incredible

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

https://belleofthekitchen.com/2016/04/13/mississippi-pot-roast/

This poo poo was bonkers good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Ranch dressing mix? :barf:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Pot roast to me is mostly just beef stew with bigger chunks and a slightly different compliment of vegetables

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My MIL got me on a kick of adding french onion soup mix to stew and pot roasts, it's pretty good actually. In the 80s ranch dressing recipes were so the rage in women's magazines because Hidden Valley wanted to sell more ranch dressing packets. You have to be careful about salt when using those.

I've taken to making the meat and veggies separate. I pressure cooker the roast then use the juice + chicken stock to make veg since they cook at different rates.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Ranch dressing mix? :barf:

The cocaine of the Midwest.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

wormil posted:

How did it go?

You need 1 cup of liquid including ingredients so for example if you add tomatoes or onions you can reduce the amount of water. There some recipes with no added liquid and they work because of all the liquid in the ingredients. The more liquid, the longer it takes to come up to pressure.

I've found the IP cooking chart to be accurate except for intact pork shoulders/picnics. I have to cook them way longer for pull apart tenderness. And our family likes them a little more tender so I've started cutting roasts into chunks for faster cooking.

I made beef ribs the other day in the IP and browned then under the broiler, delicious. Beef ribs in about 45 minutes total. I saved the liquid and used it in another dish. Saved the bones to make stock. IP is definitely the best kitchen thing we've bought in a long time.

I think I used too much liquid and not enough cooking time - had maybe 24 oz liquid to a pound and a half of pork, cooked it for 30 min and then an additional 20 after I checked it. I shredded it up and finished it in an oven before dinner the next day so it all worked out, tho. Think I should have used half the liquid and just doubled the cook time to start. Going to try again with coq au vin in a day or two; I think chicken will be a little easier to start with.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

BraveUlysses posted:

i've got a chuck roast and a new instant pot, and i want pot roast. throw me your best recipe!

I've done this recipe a few times, subbing chuck roast for the brisket and it's very good if you like balsalmic.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Been on this stupid curry hype for a minute. Can't seem to get enough of it. Any suggestions on recipes?

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Apologies for yet another "which one?" question but I thought I'd finally bite the bullet and it's hard to keep up with all the various recs in various threads.

Does this seems like what I should be buying? Has all the fancypants functions as far as I can tell and £99/$129ish seems reasonable and it's well-reviewed?

Have seen a fair bit of "get the 8 Qt not the 6, you dummy!" but I mainly cook for one or two and that hikes the price up to half as much again so am not sure it's worth it other than future-proofing in case I suddenly adopt a dozen children on a whim.

Thanks for any advice (i.e. that's 3 models ago and blows up Grandmas/you can get that one for half the price elsewhere/etc. etc.) :)

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I cook for two as well and I’ve been happy with my 6qt.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

if you think you'll ever make your own stock you might wish you had more quarts, but that's probably it

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I find that the 8 qt can also do 2 pounds of beans at a time, which when frozen lasts me for ages.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

franco posted:

Apologies for yet another "which one?" question but I thought I'd finally bite the bullet and it's hard to keep up with all the various recs in various threads.

Does this seems like what I should be buying? Has all the fancypants functions as far as I can tell and £99/$129ish seems reasonable and it's well-reviewed?

Have seen a fair bit of "get the 8 Qt not the 6, you dummy!" but I mainly cook for one or two and that hikes the price up to half as much again so am not sure it's worth it other than future-proofing in case I suddenly adopt a dozen children on a whim.

Thanks for any advice (i.e. that's 3 models ago and blows up Grandmas/you can get that one for half the price elsewhere/etc. etc.) :)

If you have a Costco membership you can get the Crock Pot branded version of that model for £20 less! I’ve got it, it’s great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

franco posted:

That's the one we have and if it broke today I'd buy another one today. I cook for 4. The only time I wish for bigger is when making stock but as it is I yield 6-8 cups of chicken stock depending on how many bones I can jam in there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok this is gonna be an incredibly stupid question but I’m trying to make some “verde chicken” in my instapot and I think I’m just gonna throw 3 lbs of chicken breast in with a bunch of verde sauce and a little garlic.

Now should I chop the chicken breast up first or just use the whole breast and cook it long enough to shred? I’ve just been cooking whole breasts and they come out great but I just want something a little different.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I eat A LOT of chicken breast (like 10lbs a week) and I really want to mix things up but keep it healthy.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I cook for two as well and I’ve been happy with my 6qt.

poverty goat posted:

if you think you'll ever make your own stock you might wish you had more quarts, but that's probably it

SpannerX posted:

I find that the 8 qt can also do 2 pounds of beans at a time, which when frozen lasts me for ages.

skoolmunkee posted:

If you have a Costco membership you can get the Crock Pot branded version of that model for £20 less! I’ve got it, it’s great.

wormil posted:

That's the one we have and if it broke today I'd buy another one today. I cook for 4. The only time I wish for bigger is when making stock but as it is I yield 6-8 cups of chicken stock depending on how many bones I can jam in there.

Thanks everyone :love: Bullet bitten and it's on the way. Unfortunately no Costco membership but that's a good tip for if I ever do have. I can live without massive batches of stock - mainly wanted to know I wasn't about to buy a lemon! Cheers again :)

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Ok this is gonna be an incredibly stupid question but I’m trying to make some “verde chicken” in my instapot and I think I’m just gonna throw 3 lbs of chicken breast in with a bunch of verde sauce and a little garlic.

Now should I chop the chicken breast up first or just use the whole breast and cook it long enough to shred? I’ve just been cooking whole breasts and they come out great but I just want something a little different.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I eat A LOT of chicken breast (like 10lbs a week) and I really want to mix things up but keep it healthy.

Serious Eats Pressure Cooker Chicken Chile Verde

This was one of my prepped meals this week. It’s a little more chopping than throwing a jar in but it’s worth it. I’ve done it with both thighs/legs and split chicken breasts trying to keep the fat down.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Braggo posted:

Serious Eats Pressure Cooker Chicken Chile Verde

This was one of my prepped meals this week. It’s a little more chopping than throwing a jar in but it’s worth it. I’ve done it with both thighs/legs and split chicken breasts trying to keep the fat down.

Ok perfect! I actually just finished at the store and they had the jars of sauce pre made so I’m gonna chuck two of those in and some extra stuff and see how it goes.

I’ll try the actual recipe when I have a bit more time. To prep for the week.

Thanks!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

MarcusSA posted:

Ok perfect! I actually just finished at the store and they had the jars of sauce pre made so I’m gonna chuck two of those in and some extra stuff and see how it goes.

I’ll try the actual recipe when I have a bit more time. To prep for the week.

Thanks!

Definitely try that recipe (and the same recipe with a pork butt, check SE for cooking times). It's at the very top of my peak deliciousness vs. time & effort spent scale. So quick, so easy, so yummy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I got beans what's a good recipe for some stew?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Lately I've been using smoked turkey wings/legs/thighs in my beans instead of smoked ham hocks, lots of flavor and few bones. I pressure cook them together. Veg is onions + whatever is in the fridge/freezer; or sometimes just onions. I've never made bean soup the same way twice. Finish with a few TB of butter.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Smoked Turkey legs would probably work great with a sweet bbq bean setup.

I'm a big fan of getting $5 bacon endpieces and dividing then between lentils and beans.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Honestly I feel with the Rancho Gordo beans the simpler the better - they're really fantastic beans. My two favorites are the Ojo de Cabra & the tiny round tannish brown ones. I have no clue on pressure cooking them but when I'd cook them on the stovetop I basically did a little bit of chopped onion (like 1/4 of a medium onion), 1-2 cloves of chopped garlic, and a bay leaf. Maybe some rosemary or some oregano/marjoram if you want to get extra fancy, but just a pinch.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Any suggestions for green split peas?

I bought them thinking I could make some sort of meatless Indian dish, but now I can't remember what I was going to make.

E: Thanks to FB memories, I saw I was making misr wot this time two years ago. I think I may try that with the split green peas I have.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 26, 2019

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pressure cooker carnitas are life changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
For real, I've made carnitas in my IP so many times (shredding and finishing in oven because I like them crispy) and gotten tons of compliments.