Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I feel like Emily Coutts would be a cool Pinhead if they were going for one based on the novella. For one that's the movie version but with a new actor, Doug Jones would be cool because he's used to working through heavy makeup of course and so are a lot of other names folks already mentioned.

Basebf555 posted:

Tilda Swinton disappointed me for the first time ever, in Suspiria. Maybe it was Guadagnino's direction or something, but her performance was way too low-key and blah for me. I wanted something a bit more overtly pretentious and aristocratic than that. Not necessarily chewing scenery....but ok yea maybe some scenery chewing would've been nice.

Given the amount of heavy lifting she had in that movie playing three different characters and having to have them each feel and sound different I can cut her some slack.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like they should just go a completely different direction with Pinhead because nobody can really top Bradley. One of my hopes with a new Hellraiser is go back to it being about sensory exploration, hedonism, and how our desires undo us rather than making Pinhead 90s Devil. I'd love to see Pinhead cast as someone who really does believe that he lives in a space that is both Heaven and Hell. He has not an ounce of malice or menace in him. He genuinely believes people will get something profound out of their skin being pulled off by tiny little hooks and he's really enthusiastic about the sights he has to show you. He's someone who seems friendly and generous to a degree that cannot be reasoned with. Anyway, I'm saying I want Mark Duplass as Pinhead.

But in general, yes, if you're going to go with something more traditional, I think going with a lady makes a lot of sense. I think Rooney Mara is someone who really could carry the same intensity as Bradley for Pinhead while giving it a new energy. Jodie Comer from Killing Eve also does a really good job of switching between soulless predator and portraying terrifying enthusiasm for hurting others.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
do they even need Pinhead though? he's iconic looking but not really essential to the plot. they could do a remake with an entirely different cenobyte design.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

gey muckle mowser posted:

do they even need Pinhead though? he's iconic looking but not really essential to the plot. they could do a remake with an entirely different cenobyte design.

The original short story didn't even have "Pinhead" as we know him. They had one Cenobite with the look, but it was a female and the pins were jeweled. None of the Cenobites were really above one another in the hierarchy and there didn't seem to be a hierarchy. They just are.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pinhead was only in 2 Hellraiser movies before he was replaced by boring British Freddy so I dunno. I don’t think it’ll be hard to find another person so long as they never do what they did in 3 again. gently caress that was sad.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Dr Channard was loving cool and I hate he never showed up again.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don’t really think you make a Hellraiser flick without Pinhead, as the character has become intrinsic to the franchise. But that doesn’t mean you can’t come at it from a different perspective. I like the idea of pushing the aforementioned androgynous element from the story.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think for me though, I really adore the Pinhead design because it really just tells you a lot about the character. He's this monstrous being who has driven pins seemingly just into his head denoting the sick violence he's into, but it's organized into this orderly grid on his face denoting that he is not just causing mayhem willy-nilly. There are rules and procedure that he follows.

I think at the end of the day you sort of need someone in the Pinhead role who is the bookkeeper and voice of the Cenobites, and the core elements of the Pinhead design are just near perfect.

I have this image of a revised Pinhead though where the pins are actually coming out from his flesh instead of into it. Like he somehow hammered pins from inside his own skull. I really just want a new movie to get weird in terms of the poo poo that the Cenobites are into.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 20, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fart City posted:

I don’t really think you make a Hellraiser flick without Pinhead, as the character has become intrinsic to the franchise. But that doesn’t mean you can’t come at it from a different perspective. I like the idea of pushing the aforementioned androgynous element from the story.

Maybe just do a straight adaptation of The Hellbound Heart, then? Without Clive Barker's shaky directing as he tries to learn while doing, staying as close to the book as possible. It would be very difficult, but you could create a radically different film.

I'm especially thinking of the very beginning, where they show Frank what he's in for by jacking up all of his senses a million times and letting him suffer the world's worst sensory overload. I know exactly how you would film it, but it would take effort.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think for me though, I really adore the Pinhead design because it really just tells you a lot about the character. He's this monstrous being who has driven pins seemingly just into his head denoting the sick violence he's into, but it's organized into this orderly grid on his face denoting that he is not just causing mayhem willy-nilly. There are rules and procedure that he follows.

I think at the end of the day you sort of need someone in the Pinhead role who is the bookkeeper and voice of the Cenobites, and the core elements of the Pinhead design are just near perfect.

I have this image of a revised Pinhead though where the pins are actually coming out from his flesh instead of into it. Like he somehow hammered pins from inside his own skull. I really just want a new movie to get weird in terms of the poo poo that the Cenobites are into.

Going off the original, they didn't really need someone like that because they weren't just mindless monsters. All of them had a similar personality to Pinhead, with little care for mortal concerns. You summon them, they take you and give you exactly what you asked for. Even if you just solved the puzzle without knowing what you were really doing, they feel that they have to take you for doing it. The only reason they don't take Kirsty for eternal torture is because she tells them that Frank escaped and they find getting him back to be more important than just taking the next person they see.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

This would be really cool because of how the makeup in the movie can evoke scars instead of a tattooed grid, like incisions were made and the pins placed in instead of them being pinned.

Also this would require a practical effects scene where the character completely obliterates someone's face by embracing them.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 20, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timeless Appeal posted:

What's great about the grid lines is that they weren't part of the original design, someone was working on the prop and just had them there to line the pins up, and Clive Barker liked them, and told them to keep them in the final prosthetic.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Going off the original, they didn't really need someone like that because they weren't just mindless monsters. All of them had a similar personality to Pinhead, with little care for mortal concerns. You summon them, they take you and give you exactly what you asked for. Even if you just solved the puzzle without knowing what you were really doing, they feel that they have to take you for doing it. The only reason they don't take Kirsty for eternal torture is because she tells them that Frank escaped and they find getting him back to be more important than just taking the next person they see.
I get you and I appreciate that about the first one. But I do feel like there is something to having a leader. I know there are some who view the Cenobites as being equal in the original film, but I actually don't. There is a neutrality to him that I enjoy. Like Butterball always seemed gluttonous, Female Cenobite (Does she really not have a name?) with her neck vagina always seemed lustful, and Chatterer always seemed a bit more sadistic. I don't think these are things that are necessarily denoted in their actions, but more their designs. Like I said, what I think visually stands out about Pinhead is having a sense of order and authority.

And I think there is a reason that people gravitated to the notion of Pinhead as the leader. People want a sort of singular villain that encompasses the dread of the film. But I do at the same time want a movie that feels more like the first two and is less The Pinhead Show.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

sethsez posted:

Tilda Swin-

Not even remotely surprised I wasn't the first to say this. "Androgynous character who projects both icy detachment and deep perversion with a humorless grace and sense of absolute authority" is so within her skill set it almost feels like cheating to bring her up.

Swinton has a pretty unique (rip David Bowie) presence on screen. I wish Constantine had been a better (or at least more successful) movie so I could have seen more of her as that character in a sequel.

I need to see Suspiria, I don’t know why I haven’t yet.

e: sort of related https://youtu.be/gH7dMBcg-gE

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 20, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Dr Channard was loving cool and I hate he never showed up again.

I love his opera-like yell when he's getting drilled in the back of the head by that giant tentacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GJE8KtGFnE

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There was a Pinhead game Sherlock Holmes book? What the gently caress lmao

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

I get you and I appreciate that about the first one. But I do feel like there is something to having a leader. I know there are some who view the Cenobites as being equal in the original film, but I actually don't. There is a neutrality to him that I enjoy. Like Butterball always seemed gluttonous, Female Cenobite (Does she really not have a name?) with her neck vagina always seemed lustful, and Chatterer always seemed a bit more sadistic. I don't think these are things that are necessarily denoted in their actions, but more their designs. Like I said, what I think visually stands out about Pinhead is having a sense of order and authority.

And I think there is a reason that people gravitated to the notion of Pinhead as the leader. People want a sort of singular villain that encompasses the dread of the film. But I do at the same time want a movie that feels more like the first two and is less The Pinhead Show.

Though again, that's because of the changes made by the film. In the novella, Frank was the primary villain and much of the story is about Julia helping him regain his strength after he escapes. I think there's a good case to be made for centering a potential remake around Frank instead of needing a "lead Cenobite" who acts as the mascot. In general, there's a good case to be made for making a faithful adaptation with the focus on the story and imagery rather than needing to make a distinctive franchise mascot.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Basebf555 posted:

Tilda Swinton disappointed me for the first time ever, in Suspiria. Maybe it was Guadagnino's direction or something, but her performance was way too low-key and blah for me. I wanted something a bit more overtly pretentious and aristocratic than that. Not necessarily chewing scenery....but ok yea maybe some scenery chewing would've been nice.

I wouldn't call Blanc low key at all. Klemperer definitely, but then Blanc is somewhere in the middle and Markos is way out there.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Basebf555 posted:

My picks for cenobites/Pinhead:

Mark Rylance

This made me imagine Mark Rylance doing Pinhead as the mumbly, put upon nerd voice he had in Ready Player One

It’s a good thought

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Has Horror Cafe been posted before? It fuckin' owns. It aired on BBC2 back in the day and is a roundtable dinner discussion between Clive Barker, John Carpenter, Roger Corman, and three other horror luminaries where they talk about the definition of horror and brainstorm a modern take on Jekyll and Hyde for the turn of the century audience.

quote:

Six of the Horror world's leading figures dine together. Hosted by Clive Barker with guests John Carpenter, Roger Corman, Ramsey Campbell, Lisa Tuttle and Pete Atkins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TosdCShzD4g

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, a couple years back, I think around the time Wes Craven died. Loved it and I could listen to Clive Barker talk all day.

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
Splinter was pretty awesome. Gruesome.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yeah, Splinter is really underrated. Lots of fun.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I started watching that Eli Roth History of Horror show, and it's a little frustrating? It's more interested in name-dropping some movies, convolutes the evolution of genre's to the point of misinformation (without any real benefit to this), and it has Eli Roth in it. And Chris Hardwick.

I thought it was pretty funny that they had Rob Zombie as a talking head for the zombie episodes, except all he did was nod politely at Eli Roth whenever he had to share that he knew something.

Eli Roth: 28 Days Later is most famous for having introduced running zombies. EXCEPT THAT FULCI HAD RUNNING ZOMBIES IN CITY OF THE DEAD.
Rob Zombie: :hmmyes:

I know it's for a mainstream audience, so I shouldn't gripe about it mainly focusing on The Walking Dead instead of fun stuff like Dead Alive, but then it spends a while on Shaun of the Dead but brushes over Return of the Living Dead.

I'll watch more, but it's all pretty rote for a regular of this thread.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Franchescanado posted:

I started watching that Eli Roth History of Horror show, and it's a little frustrating? It's more interested in name-dropping some movies, convolutes the evolution of genre's to the point of misinformation (without any real benefit to this), and it has Eli Roth in it. And Chris Hardwick.

I thought it was pretty funny that they had Rob Zombie as a talking head for the zombie episodes, except all he did was nod politely at Eli Roth whenever he had to share that he knew something.

Eli Roth: 28 Days Later is most famous for having introduced running zombies. EXCEPT THAT FULCI HAD RUNNING ZOMBIES IN CITY OF THE DEAD.
Rob Zombie: :hmmyes:

I know it's for a mainstream audience, so I shouldn't gripe about it mainly focusing on The Walking Dead instead of fun stuff like Dead Alive, but then it spends a while on Shaun of the Dead but brushes over Return of the Living Dead.

I'll watch more, but it's all pretty rote for a regular of this thread.

I was mildly interested in this but glad to see not to waste my time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

it has Eli Roth in it.

Pass.

quote:

And Chris Hardwick.

HARD PASS.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Though again, that's because of the changes made by the film. In the novella, Frank was the primary villain and much of the story is about Julia helping him regain his strength after he escapes. I think there's a good case to be made for centering a potential remake around Frank instead of needing a "lead Cenobite" who acts as the mascot. In general, there's a good case to be made for making a faithful adaptation with the focus on the story and imagery rather than needing to make a distinctive franchise mascot.
I would honestly be pissed if it was just a remake of Frank and Julia's story.

I want a brand new story about people being undone by their desires that features the cenobites in supporting roles.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

HARD PASS.

Hardwick is interesting, because his comments mean absolutely nothing.

Hardwick: See, what I like about Shaun of the Dead? It's so funny. There's a part, where, get this. Shaun is hung over, and he walks into a convenience store after the apocalypse? And he slips on blood. It's such a simple joke, BUT IT'S SO FUNNY.

It's nonsense.

Eli Roth is similar, in that he kinda just reiterates the talking points, or whatever the clip just showed, but he's a producer; the show's in his name, so of course he gets to say whatever useless stuff there is. But Hardwick's just there because he...talks about Walking Dead when he's not abusing women?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

You couldn't have possibly made me less interested just from that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Same. What an awful pairing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

Eli Roth seems to conduct at least half of the interviews.

When it's formatted for the celebrity/expert to be a talking head, like Edgar Wright talking, it's exactly what the show needs to be, fun and informally informative.

The interviews Eli Roth conducts are him talking to the celebrity/expert/guest, and the majority of the footage is Roth talking to the guest in the form of a question, or answering his own question, or commenting on their answer with what he wants to say (without really showing the guest's answer).

Eli, you have Tarantino here talking about how Romero's Dawn of the Dead redefine how horror movies could make it's social commentary more palatable to the mainstream through visceral gore. Shut the gently caress up and let him talk.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Hardwick is interesting, because his comments mean absolutely nothing.

Hardwick: See, what I like about Shaun of the Dead? It's so funny. There's a part, where, get this. Shaun is hung over, and he walks into a convenience store after the apocalypse? And he slips on blood. It's such a simple joke, BUT IT'S SO FUNNY.

It's nonsense.

Eli Roth is similar, in that he kinda just reiterates the talking points, or whatever the clip just showed, but he's a producer; the show's in his name, so of course he gets to say whatever useless stuff there is. But Hardwick's just there because he...talks about Walking Dead when he's not abusing women?

Hardwick is baffling. He’s gotten so rich off of nothing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not surprised Eli Roth is a narcissist

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I thought it was gonna be Eli Roth + a guest, and I was willing to give that a chance. But there's no way I can take Roth and Hardwick going back and forth with each other for 30 minutes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Really the most you can say about Roth and Hardwick is that they're completely vapid.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Really the most you can say about Roth and Hardwick is that they're completely vapid.

It's a shame too because the format is valid, and can lead to some great loving discussions, as is the case with Cameron's sci-fi talk show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv9Jq_mCJEo

Cameron's a great interviewer because he knows when to get out of the way and he just lets the discussion come natural.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I've been looking to see if Fury of the Demon's available yet for streaming and so far all I've been able to find is AmazonUK. Did it get a US release at any point or no?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I was expecting Eli Roth's History of Horror to be similar to Robert Kirkman's History of Comic Books. Which is to say, decently done and interesting if you don't know the subject but not terribly good if you're already familiar with the topics. So I skipped it.

If its just Roth talking to Hardwick though, my esteem for Kirkman staying off the show and actually making a documentary just went up a bit.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ruddiger posted:

It's a shame too because the format is valid, and can lead to some great loving discussions, as is the case with Cameron's sci-fi talk show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv9Jq_mCJEo

Cameron's a great interviewer because he knows when to get out of the way and he just lets the discussion come natural.

It's not even an interview when you're using the format to create space for yourself

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

e:nm

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Kvlt! posted:

hey whats a good horror movie for :words:

maybe evil dead?

gonna go ahead and recommend bloodz vs wolvez also therapy, my guy

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 20, 2019