Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Crasical posted:

I'm not trying to punish the dude for not immediately sticking a fig of ginger up his rear end and going tearing off after the thing, just saying 'Hey from a Wolf's perspective, this is not something you should casually brush off'. You and I Am Just a Box both correctly pointed out that Werewolves don't have in-depth knowledge of the game mechanics and while a Sin Eater is NOT Claimed, they REALLY look Spirit-Ridden until you take a good look at one and don't just hear a vague description from someone who blew their Occult check.

Yeah I get it, you weren't being a jerk or anything. I wanted to emphasize the concept thing and I know italics (which bolds, apparently?) can make things look more severe. You handled things well it sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rand Brittain posted:

V5 basically threw Beckett out the window to do a lot of less interesting stuff, but you should read Beckett anyway because it's good, and I wish somebody would do an F&F who actually has enough WoD trivia knowledge to catch all the references.

I'll put it on the list of things to do.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
ahh gently caress me, I was going to run a mage game for my facebook pals but it looks like I went print only on the kickstarter? I could have sworn all the pledge levels that got yu a physical book came with a pdf

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rand Brittain posted:

V5 basically threw Beckett out the window to do a lot of less interesting stuff, but you should read Beckett anyway because it's good, and I wish somebody would do an F&F who actually has enough WoD trivia knowledge to catch all the references.

I wouldn't trust the sanity of anyone well informed enough to write that post in less than 3 months.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mulva posted:

I wouldn't trust the sanity of anyone well informed enough to write that post in less than 3 months.

Loomer posted:

:v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

If it helps, I'm also tempted.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Dawgstar posted:

Rage Across Appalachia*

Any reason to play a bunch of hillbilly Bone Gnawers using Hootenanny to fight the Wyrm is a good one in my book.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Mulva posted:

I mean, you would apparently have to have read basically every Vampire book, including the novels, including the Dark Ages novels.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

citybeatnik posted:

Any reason to play a bunch of hillbilly Bone Gnawers using Hootenanny to fight the Wyrm is a good one in my book.

I only wish Ethan Skemp had written the book instead of just edited it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Mage Question as I try to get ready for the game: Rote Spells have 5 free reach and get bonus dice based on the rote skill rating? So if my rote skill is 4, I'd roll 4 extra dice?

EDIT: Also what was wrong with that spell casting webpage posted earlier? I think Dave said something was off?

\/\/\/TY

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 20, 2019

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Soonmot posted:

Mage Question as I try to get ready for the game: Rote Spells have 5 free reach and get bonus dice based on the rote skill rating? So if my rote skill is 4, I'd roll 4 extra dice?

EDIT: Also what was wrong with that spell casting webpage posted earlier? I think Dave said something was off?

Rote spells work Reach out as though you were a Master, which is not 5 free Reach except for 1dot spells.

IIRC (on phone, can't see) there was something hinky in its spell factor descriptions.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Soonmot posted:

They apply free reach as if you had Arcanum ●●●●● (so 6 - spell rating, thus four free reaches for a Life 2 Ruling spell), and allow you to perform a mudra, which is a yantra that gives you bonus dice equal to your rating in the rote skill. If you skip the mudra you don't get the bonus (not that there's any reason to skip the mudra, since you get one reflexive yantra), and it applies toward your maximum yantra bonus.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Thanks everyone.

I seem to remember that someone made some quick cast cards for their players, does anyone have something like that?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Soonmot posted:

Thanks everyone.

I seem to remember that someone made some quick cast cards for their players, does anyone have something like that?

I made this but it's meant for starting characters and so while the charts are still appropriate, the bit on yantras will rapidly be obsolete as characters increase in Gnosis.
It also barely mentions the consequences of Paradox at all. It's meant to be mostly player-facing. The listed yantras are because I expected them to be the ones most used.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, you would apparently have to have read basically every Vampire book, including the novels, including the Dark Ages novels.

Only the Vampire books? Fuckin' scrubs.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

This thread made me remember I have a little stash of Rage cards stashed somewhere. It can go with the giant collection of Jyhad and Vampire: The Eternal Struggle stuff I have squirreled away.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

Blood-Dimmed Tides of GTFO.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Loomer posted:

Loomer for new Head Storyteller imho.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

Loomer for new Head Storyteller imho.

this but unironically

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They're going to be gnosis 1 and none have played mage, so that's awesome and what I was thinking of.

Another question: Where is the Abyss? Is it "behind" another realm, like you have to pass through the astral or the underworld to reach it, or is it right next to us?

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Rand Brittain posted:

V5 is expanding on all of that (surprise surprise!), since they stated the core book was meant to be more accessible to new people without having to know X from Y past books. It's ramping up the more stuff that's coming out. Give it time.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Soonmot posted:

Another question: Where is the Abyss? Is it "behind" another realm, like you have to pass through the astral or the underworld to reach it, or is it right next to us?

The Abyss is nothing. It's where nothing else is. It's a hole.
The Abyss can also be found at the very bottom of the Astral Realms, between the Soul of the World and the Supernal (maybe). This is the wound of division between the world and the Supernal, where the blood of unreality leaks in (probably).

The Abyss is less a place than a symptom of reality falling apart, it's just that the primary thematic quality of the Chronicles is the multiplication of entities, and so it's also a universe full of monsters.

So.. the Abyss is always as close as blood to air, held back by the skin of the world. It's as close to us as a wound is - if you don't get cut, no wound is anywhere near. And it's hungry.
It's also present in the human soul, holding back enlightenment - that wound is called Sleep.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MoonKnight posted:

V5 is expanding on all of that (surprise surprise!), since they stated the core book was meant to be more accessible to new people without having to know X from Y past books. It's ramping up the more stuff that's coming out. Give it time.

The previous administration said something like that and I didn't believe them, since V5 made a whole lot of Beckett moot.

The current administration (whoever that actually is) may be more interested in following up on V20.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So is it actually worth picking up the books for V5 right now? Divorced from the neonazi and turbo edgelord poo poo is this new edition actually worthwhile on its own merits?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Joe Slowboat posted:

The Abyss is nothing. It's where nothing else is. It's a hole.
The Abyss can also be found at the very bottom of the Astral Realms, between the Soul of the World and the Supernal (maybe). This is the wound of division between the world and the Supernal, where the blood of unreality leaks in (probably).

The Abyss is less a place than a symptom of reality falling apart, it's just that the primary thematic quality of the Chronicles is the multiplication of entities, and so it's also a universe full of monsters.

So.. the Abyss is always as close as blood to air, held back by the skin of the world. It's as close to us as a wound is - if you don't get cut, no wound is anywhere near. And it's hungry.
It's also present in the human soul, holding back enlightenment - that wound is called Sleep.

Excellent, this was how I wrote up the end of my Frosty the Snowman game and set the players up for a full mage game with their characters. It more or less jives with what you posted.

quote:

The kids, except for Krysta, find themselves in a formless black void. Even Ciara, with her ability to see through darkness can't make anything out. But they can hear the tearing. Rents of terrible light are clawed into the void, a flickering, sickening green-blue that pulsed like a diseased heart allowed them see the horrors on the other side of the void. From this place of anti-reality, many-limbed abominations glared with a thousand eyes. Tentacles covered in gnashing mouths, dripping venom writhed, trying to grab the teens.

No, not the teens, something behind them. Almost as one, they turn their head and can see the real world behind them. These things were trying to get out of their own reality, one so antithetical to our own that even looking at those flickering light risked madness, they were trying to escape from there and invade our own. If even one of these monsters got through, the results would be cataclysmic. Knowledge seared itself into their minds, knowledge of dead gods and the things that took their place, wearing their faces to sneak into being. They knew that if they didn't stop these horrors, the world would end.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

So is it actually worth picking up the books for V5 right now? Divorced from the neonazi and turbo edgelord poo poo is this new edition actually worthwhile on its own merits?

Nice username/post combo.

But seriously, as a huge fan of VTM that just picked up the V5 books I'm really enjoying it. The Anarch book in particular was surprisingly and pleasantly awesome in my opinion.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
What's it bringing into the fold that we haven't seen before? I'm legitimately curious.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I think that regardless of the merits of V5 I'm going to hold to my decision to end the Project either with Revised's end or with 20th Edition content up to the end of 2017 or 2018. The passion isn't there anymore and neither is the free time. That said, once I finally polish up and release the raw data it should be a doddle for people to carry it on with the same or better methodology, since there's no longer going to be a 14 year backlog of novels, sourcebooks, games and TCGs to trawl though, just a dozen or so books a year and a couple of mobile games at the current rate.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Rand Brittain posted:

The previous administration said something like that and I didn't believe them, since V5 made a whole lot of Beckett moot.

The current administration (whoever that actually is) may be more interested in following up on V20.

Not... really? LIterally V20 is done, and everything that's coming out is building on various material talked about in V5 core, such as the Hecata, blood cults, and such. BJD hasn't had a lot of its material touched on, but there are some things (and recall, BJD isn't just 'this is happening in the 14 years between Revised and V5, it's all over the place timeline wise). But in particular, things like the Sabbat/Gehenna Crusade has been touched on, the changes to the Setites as the Ministry are coming directly out of aspects of BJD's presentation, the conflict between the necromantic clans is literally spun out of that lead in from BJD, the Tremere conflict grew out of BJD (with attendant implications that Schreckt was involved in what happened to Fortschritt). Not everything has been touched on, but a number of things have. They do have more books they can write, after all.

Chicago has a weirdness because 'OH GOD WE HAVE TO USE THE METHUSELAHS!' but it even references things, with various NPC deaths, referencing heavily what the gently caress is going on in the Gehenna Crusade as the impetus for half the Lasombra to try to join the Camarilla, and talking about the Beckoning (like, Helena did a task and was released from the Beckoning, for example).

I get that people who hate V5 want to go back to V20, but it's not happening.

MoonKnight fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 21, 2019

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheKingslayer posted:

Nice username/post combo.

But seriously, as a huge fan of VTM that just picked up the V5 books I'm really enjoying it. The Anarch book in particular was surprisingly and pleasantly awesome in my opinion.

Lets just say I'm a different flavor of edgelord from the neonazi shitheads.

It is good to hear that it is well put together though, I really didn't want to track down a physical copy of of V20

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

MoonKnight posted:

I get that people who hate V5 want to go back to V20, but it's not happening.

Actually I want to go back to Requiem but I understand that time has perversely made me the grognard.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Actually I want to go back to Requiem but I understand that time has perversely made me the grognard.

I want to like requiem but oddly enough I find it a lot more dry than masquerade, I prefer the globe spanning conspiracy stuff to the more local political angle.

Its weird because its the only oWoD line I like more than its nWoD counterpart

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I was very much and still am on the gently caress Requiem train but I'll defend V5 as being better overall than V20. V5 seems like there are so many more ways to make a character unique without bogging things down.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

AnEdgelord posted:

I want to like requiem but oddly enough I find it a lot more dry than masquerade, I prefer the globe spanning conspiracy stuff to the more local political angle.

Its weird because its the only oWoD line I like more than its nWoD counterpart

we're exactly the same in this matter, there's something about the weird inexplicability of it all that just feels fun. There's a writer part of my brain that acknowledges the game is All Over The Place in a way that bespeaks a glorious lack of central planning, compared to the greater consistency in later lines, but that's the poo poo that delights me.
Like, what? Some of the Harbingers of Souls are secretly wraiths trying to bring down kindred society from the inside? Oh poo poo yeah. Tremere infiltrated by Baali and Salubri agents? Fuckin, excellent. Gimmie that poo poo. Disciplines are the alien blood-babies from Lilith's demonic dream-garden? why not? none can oppose.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It was funny that for all the big deal that 'The Calling' and 'The Gehenna Wars' were made out to be an elder could... just not go.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

I Am Just a Box posted:

It's close enough on the surface that it makes more sense for a werewolf to assume than, say, a demon assuming a werewolf is "an alternate form of hunter angel, independent of Infrastructure and born from human biological imperatives." (The Werewolf book even shouts it out in the Storm Lords writeup.)

If you start to dig deeper, of course, you find the ways it differs from Claiming. Little physical transformation. Conscious psychic symbiosis instead of urged psychic fusion. Unleashing and the occult presence manifest through Haunts.

If you start to dig deeper. A lot of werewolves have more pressing things to spend their time on, regardless of whether the Sin-Eater just leaves or an all-out pack-krewe war sparks.

That does bring up the question of whether it'd be possible for a spirit to achieve a symbiosis more similar to that of a Sin-Eater rather than claiming and most spirits just don't care enough or just aren't skilled enough to pull it off. But the ability for that cohesion to exist may hinge on the Geist having once been human.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

:same:

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sympathetic to people loving the gonzo nature of Masquerade, it was one of my first ever roleplaying games and I still kind of adore it deep under how much I've grown out of it.

For me though, Requiem was the perfect game. It was sleek, it had really well-thought-out connections between theme and mechanics. Blood & Smoke/2e added some additional twists and built on those themes, and though I didn't agree with every decision, I grew to love it just the same. I love vampire myth and so does Requiem, which really seemed more than any other game to center the mythic and narrative archetypes of its chosen monster to the game.

Sure, the internal politics was dry on paper, it's basically a game about organized crime. What made it special every time I played it was the gothic horror involved, the way it escalated people's involvement with their characters and their increasing depravity. It's why I grew to love Atrocity as a mechanic because it helped cement that, though Humanity is arguably just as good as putting that humanistic theme together. Even in a convention game moment I was able to escalate to that liminal moment, playing this Gangrel Lancea Sanctum character cutting open the throat of a sinner and getting even my non-believer coterie mates to participate in the communion together.

Even when they became terrifying worms in the sewers, vampires were so utterly human. They had the pettiest goals. They aren't trying to get to heaven, they are trying to get their next meal. Much like Masquerade felt of the zeitgeist for the time it came out, Requiem really feels like a deeply 2000's game and of the malaise of the economic downturn, and I feel Blood & Smoke did a great job of updating that for the post-Occupy, more chaotic post-Recession era and the desire for meaning in a meaningless world.

Plus, they absolutely did create a great mythology that you can use to have a Masquerade style meta-heavy chronicle, if you want, that all ties in together strongly with their central themes and conceits, and the toolbox nature allowed for more and more weirder edge cases and Fortean nonsense.

Its time is over though. I haven't ran a game of Requiem in well over a year and a half now, almost two years. I'm still running other 2E games, most recently a Werewolf game and now a Mage game. I would probably jump at the chance to do Vampire again, but when V5 came out, I definitely got the feeling that Vampire in general was "done" for me, like the closing of a book.

I did tinker with an Apocalypse World hack of Requiem ("Vampire World") to shop around and work with. I still have the design documents and some ideas of what I'd try to do that's uniquely different (mostly by transitioning away from "predator" to "parasite" in the language used, which Requiem started but kept in a liminal state, and really focusing on the idea of humans more as Herd than as Prey) but I don't have much motivation to do so at the moment.

I'm glad both Masquerade and Requiem exist, even together, and while for a long time I resented how it felt that the New World of Darkness never got its fair shake or fully embraced by neither fans nor White Wolf, and I especially resented them going back to the same watering hole in this New New WoD attempt, I kind of at least understand, because that's very much of the time now too.

It's interesting to me that there isn't any other gameline I've ever had as strong feelings about as I have Vampire, and how I have probably played it the least in the last five years than any other (with just one game I've run.)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I haven't played a game of Vampire in around three years and it breaks my heart even if I had to run it. But my regular group fell apart and the only other person running games has a huge boner for taking as much of your character creation and background out of your hands as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Its time is over though.

yeah weird how "society is run by lovely old fucks" suddenly gets a lot less narratively compelling when the designers age 20 years. looking forward to V40 leaning hard on "the Camarilla was right, neonates CANNOT be trusted." I mean, if I'm reading V5 right, isn't "fukkin young punks on my lawn" the major driving conflict, between the cam and anarchs?