Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AJCassavell/status/1097951093454041088

BUT YOU STILL NEED TO SIGN HARPER, KEUCHEL, KIMBREL, AND LIKE A HUNDRED OTHERS, YOU COLLUDING FUCKS

:siren: MLB.TV SHARING THREAD :siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882380

MEET THE TEAMS

Sydin posted:

Meet the teams thread is up. Go post about why your team is cool and good.

MILLENNIUM TEAMS

Easy Diff posted:

Build-a-Team: Millennium Edition is up. It's been a few years since I did one of these, so I'm looking forward to ya'll's updates.

PROSPECT THREAD?
Maybe we could have one of these again I think it would be cool but don't really know anything to put in the op so I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can cover that so I can link that thread too!

GalacticAcid posted:

Here's a guide to spring training performance evaluation i just whipped together, hope it's helpful!

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize ST games started tomorrow.

BASEBALL IS BACK

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Awwwwwww poo poo son.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

NOW SIGN HARPER YOU FUCKSTICKS

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Work is looking to be painfully slow this morning so I'll try to knock together a Meet the Teams thread once I get in unless some go-getting goon jumps on it earlier.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Of course the first Yankees ST game is against the red sox :laugh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1098027260336979968

I mean, good for you I guess White Sox, but you're going to have a real hard loving time signing anybody meaningful without throwing in an opt out or two.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I'm still living in my crazy fantasy world with ivy-colored glasses where the Cubs sign Harper even though Tom Ricketts is basically doing this:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If your answer to not signing a player is we don't have the money, then you should not own a baseball team.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Here's a guide to spring training performance evaluation i just whipped together, hope it's helpful!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1098027260336979968

I mean, good for you I guess White Sox, but you're going to have a real hard loving time signing anybody meaningful without throwing in an opt out or two.

I swear opt-outs have only become A Thing in the last couple years

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Spring Training 2018 proved beyond all doubt that:

Ohtani couldn't hit worth a poo poo
Ohtani couldn't pitch worth a poo poo
Ohtani was healthy enough to play

And now we know that none of those things are true.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

a neat cape posted:

Was prime Pujols better than prime Trout?

Carrying this over.

Prime Pujols was arguably 2003-2010: 334/433/635 - 177 OPS+ - 69.3 bWAR

Trout 2012-2018: 310/420/579 - 178 OPS+ - 63.8 bWAR

I think prime Trout is right now and I think he has ~4 years left of this. Trout's last 4 years offensively have been insane.

The thing with Pujols was that he never loving struck out. Trout is only 200 K's away from having Pujols' career K total. Pujols loved making contact. I think Trout's prime will be better when it's all done.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

baseball is back baby, and it's good, awwoooooo (unsigned free agent howl)

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

iospace posted:

NOW SIGN HARPER YOU FUCKSTICKS

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
bring back 80s baseball

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Carrying this over.

I think prime Trout is right now and I think he has ~4 years left of this. Trout's last 4 years offensively have been insane.

The thing with Pujols was that he never loving struck out. Trout is only 200 K's away from having Pujols' career K total. Pujols loved making contact. I think Trout's prime will be better when it's all done.

I like how we pretend strikeouts matter when stanning for players we like :unsmigghh:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Good Dog posted:

Spring Training 2018 proved beyond all doubt that:

Ohtani couldn't hit worth a poo poo
Ohtani couldn't pitch worth a poo poo
Ohtani was healthy enough to play

And now we know that none of those things are true.

Ohtani's ST looked so bad I actually thought he might not do well in the regular season. Not having any meaningful baseball to watch for months does weird things to the brain.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

Ohtani's ST looked so bad I actually thought he might not do well in the regular season. Not having any meaningful baseball to watch for months does weird things to the brain.

Ohtani did make a legitimate change to his swing to shorten up his leg lift/kick a lot before the regular season, some of the doubts were valid before that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

In ST Kyle Tucker looked like one of the best hitters in baseball and welp

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Carrying this over.

Pujols didn’t strike out in his prime, but how many more double plays did he hit into?

edit: Trout has 52 GIDP’s in his career. From 03-10, Albert GIDP’ed 162 times.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 20, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Carrying this over.

My favorite part of this argument is that it uses a cumulative stat (bWAR) as an attempt to make Pujols look better, but Pujols has an extra year in the timeframes used.

Trout's average bWAR over this timeframe is 9.11 vs 8.66 for Pujols. It would go up to 8.81 if you took out 2010 to make it the same amount of years but then Pujols would have less cumulative bWAR (61.7).

bawfuls posted:

Pujols didn’t strike out in his prime, but how many more double plays did he hit into?

Not a direct answer to your question but through looking at his player page I have discovered that Albert Pujols is the all-time leader in GIDP

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
When you start looking at foot speed, Pujols is actually the most successful negative WAR player of all time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

How many popouts did he have? Votto GOAT

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

All-time leader baby awoooo

The fact that Tony loving Gwynn admired Albert’s contact ability speaks volumes, I think.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think there's much of any argument that Trout is the better player by WAR. He does everything well. There's like...half a dozen guys ever who did everything as well as he does. Maybe less?

Pujols was still a better hitter.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

I don't think there's much of any argument that Trout is the better player by WAR. He does everything well. There's like...half a dozen guys ever who did everything as well as he does. Maybe less?

Pujols was still a better hitter.
park and context adjusted stats disagree with you on this

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

Struck out less, on base more, more dingers, more XBHs agree though. I'm comfortable where I sit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Advanced stats stop mattering when they contradict my opinion, I say

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

About 40 more total bases per year on average, even if you use Pujols’ full career numbers rather than his peak. Better power hitter?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Advanced stats ruined baseball and are being used as tools to suppress player wages. We must radically reject them. Jim Rice owned.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Just my opinion, but I would kiss Albert Pujols on the lips

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The original query was worded as whether Trout was the more dominant player, which requires context-adjusted figures to see how they stacked against their contemporaries.

However, had the question been who was the more productive[/i ]player, bewbies's methodology of directly comparing counting & rate stats would be perfectly justified.

-[i]The Nuanced Guy

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pujols killed Brad Lidge('s career). Until I have evidence Trout did something on that level, gonna have to go with Pujols as the GOAT.

Edit: I'll entertain arguments Trout has killed Felix.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 20, 2019

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pujols also had more good bats around him, like Larry Walker and Jim Edmonds, unlike Trout who has nothing but worthless bats, like Albert Pujols

seiferguy posted:

Pujols killed Brad Lidge('s career). Until I have evidence Trout did something on that level, gonna have to go with Pujols as the GOAT.

Lidge put up an extremely dominant season and won a world series like three years later

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Most MVP robbed players of all time: Aaron, Williams, Musial, Mays, Pujols?

Intruder posted:

Pujols also had more good bats around him, like Larry Walker and Jim Edmonds, unlike Trout who has nothing but worthless bats, like Albert Pujols

Let’s not forget Rolen and Holliday.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Advanced stats ruined baseball and are being used as tools to suppress player wages. We must radically reject them. Jim Rice owned.

This guy gets it. .350 ain't a half bad OBP :shrug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bonds

Yes I know he won 7 MVPs, but it's still Bonds

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Anaheim is a tough place to hit, just looking at how bad Pujols is now is all the proof I need.

seiferguy posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Hahah follow Bill for updates on the macabre comedy of Bob Nutting's annual Spring Training press conference

https://twitter.com/BrinkPG/status/1098264071298785286