Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think this was also around the point they had Hogan down in a match, so Randy Savage dropped the Elbow on him for the express purpose of Hogan no-selling it and waking him up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Old timey manager. I think he was gay.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
He apparently took the name Grand Wizard to make fun of the KKK, presumbly because as a young man, he'd heard Superman take them on and beat them.

Then we let Zack Snyder make Superman movies and the Nazis came back. Hard times daddeh.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Prince Iaukea's dad?

Not for reals but Kevin Sullivan gave him the name/gimmick in Curtis' honor.

I think kayfabe he was Curtis' nephew.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 20, 2019

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

EDIT:

Ummm...what?

Ernie Roth. A gay, Jewish man who wore a turban and adopted the name as a middle finger to racists and the KKK.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
EDIT: Nevermind, the poster above gave much better context. I thought the dude was pulling that "I was being ironically racist!" poo poo.

Also, I love how quickly Hogan forgets and/or decides he doesn't give a poo poo about the rules of that Doomsday Cage match. At one point he skips the bottom tier completely to brawl in the regular ring, and when the end of the match arrives, Savage has to rush to pin someone because Hogan was literally just leaving as though that was the finish. And then "American Made" plays despite Macho getting the pin.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 20, 2019

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I know 3 things about Shane Douglas:
1. He was a big deal in ECW and nowhere else, although I do remember Revolution in WCW but that apparently went nowhere.
2. He hates the Kliq
3. He hates Ric Flair

I know the story behind 2 and it seems likely enough they did bury him. But why does he hate Flair?

Also is it a heel move to get out of the ring and just walk around for a while? It seems like bad guys mostly do it and the crowd hates them for it. But it's pretty frickin' smart when you are getting your rear end kicked to create some distance between you and your opponent.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

allegedly ric flair held down younger talent. he doesn't hate the entire kliq, just shawn michaels and HHH. he said on a shoot interview that nash and hall weren't bad guys

it's a heel move to leave the ring because it looks like you're running away. in longer matches it's ok to do, like in their first 94 triple crown match, misawa gets out of the ring to take a breather against kawada

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Larry Zbyszko was infamous for taking that bit to the extreme and spending about five minutes per match just wandering around the ring

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

NikkolasKing posted:

Also is it a heel move to get out of the ring and just walk around for a while? It seems like bad guys mostly do it and the crowd hates them for it. But it's pretty frickin' smart when you are getting your rear end kicked to create some distance between you and your opponent.

As a "heat" move, it was usually done after the heel took a cheap shot. The face would get riled up, make a move towards them, and they duck between the ropes so the face couldn't legally touch them. Done well, like with Zbyszko, the crowd would explode when the face finally got their hands on them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
gently caress Larry Zbyszko, he cheats at Scrabble.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

1. He was a big deal in ECW and nowhere else, although I do remember Revolution in WCW but that apparently went nowhere.
2. He hates the Kliq
3. He hates Ric Flair

I know the story behind 2 and it seems likely enough they did bury him. But why does he hate Flair?

It's cowardly to run away from a fight and doubly so to take your time getting back to it.

Davros1 posted:

As a "heat" move, it was usually done after the heel took a cheap shot. The face would get riled up, make a move towards them, and they duck between the ropes so the face couldn't legally touch them. Done well, like with Zbyszko, the crowd would explode when the face finally got their hands on them.

I wouldn't say Larry did it that well. He just did it a lot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

NikkolasKing posted:

2. He hates the Kliq
3. He hates Ric Flair

Flair claims that Douglas told him it was all a work. Douglas says he did it to try and draw heel heat (and it failed) but he was basing it on Flair's time as a booker and specifically his work with Pillman and he meant what he was saying... until he started making up stuff to keep it going.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I’ve always been a Jake the Snake mark and I caught him while channel surfing one day I n an upper tier Indy promotion during the 90s where there was a backstage action shot of Jake DDTing a person dressed as a ninja. Only it was the wrong ninja and the announcer was like “Jake just DDT’d his own ninja!” Then cut to commercial and I moved on.

I never saw the promotion again and I have no further context other then it was between his WWF stints. Does anyone have any more context on why Jake had his own ninja and why he would be DDTing some other ninja?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I believe you'll find his name was Jake The Sanem. :colbert:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

BGrifter posted:

I believe you'll find his name was Jake The Sanem. :colbert:

I forgot. :(

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nystral posted:

I’ve always been a Jake the Snake mark and I caught him while channel surfing one day I n an upper tier Indy promotion during the 90s where there was a backstage action shot of Jake DDTing a person dressed as a ninja. Only it was the wrong ninja and the announcer was like “Jake just DDT’d his own ninja!” Then cut to commercial and I moved on.

I never saw the promotion again and I have no further context other then it was between his WWF stints. Does anyone have any more context on why Jake had his own ninja and why he would be DDTing some other ninja?

In 1993 WCW was basically an upper level indie but I'd guess you'd know WCW if you saw it.

Jake was in Smoky Mountain briefly but I don't remember him interacting with any ninjas.

The only other place he worked during that period with US TV was AAA and I think you'd remember if the show was in Spanish. I'm kind of curious.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I think this was also around the point they had Hogan down in a match, so Randy Savage dropped the Elbow on him for the express purpose of Hogan no-selling it and waking him up

this is one of the most WCW spots ever and it's so stupid it wraps back around to amazing, I love it.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
how come nobody gives a poo poo about The Fabulous Rougeaus? I never hear them talked about

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Low Desert Punk posted:

how come nobody gives a poo poo about The Fabulous Rougeaus? I never hear them talked about

They were decent but kind of bland, from what I remember. And their finish was absolute garbage. Their heel run was ok but they never got a massive push or anything.

They never won the belt, they weren't long term (like 10+ years in WWF).

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
The only thing about them people give a poo poo about today is their theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSBZqo-YatI

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I don't have a question but I just have something I just now realised on the way into work in this morning and I need to tell someone and I feel dumb as gently caress for not getting it before.

The reason Vince made Steve Austin take Ted DiBiase as his manager was because Steve's name was Steve Austin and Ted DiBiase was the million dollar man.

This sound went off when I finally realised, 25 year later, what Vince did there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-G0SVEQW8A

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Low Desert Punk posted:

All American Boys is possibly the best WWF theme song of that era. "We don't like heavy metal, we don't like rock 'n' roll, all we like to listen to is Barry Manilow"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

All American Boys is possibly the best WWF theme song of that era. "We don't like heavy metal, we don't like rock 'n' roll, all we like to listen to is Barry Manilow"

But that's basically saying that Jimmy Hart was the most over thing about them.

I mean, given that PCO is getting tag team title shots with a semi-major promotion in 2019, I think you can argue it wasn't even the most notable tag team Jacques Rougeau was in.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So is there any reason why Vince waited until after Jarrett was apparently in pretty rough shape before finally bringing him in after almost two decades? Gold pyramid scheme, alcoholism, the semi-racist display at Triplemania, etc.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

So is there any reason why Vince waited until after Jarrett was apparently in pretty rough shape before finally bringing him in after almost two decades? Gold pyramid scheme, alcoholism, the semi-racist display at Triplemania, etc.

If you expect the Wrestling Observer Newsletter to answer that question on here you get yelled at.

Likely an anti-AEW move, global expansion comes into it too and Corporate succession move as a lot of WWE personnel are getting promoted or retiring over the next 2 years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
After you've fundraised for Trump, exploited your employees' deaths, and covered up numerous abuse scandals, there are only so many things you can do to become steadily more evil.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gold pyramid scheme, alcoholism, the semi-racist display at Triplemania, etc.

Jarrett finally won Vince's respect.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Jarrett finally won Vince's respect.

Ain't he great?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Kkn0RuQns

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

the itty bitty flags the Rougeaus wave on the way to the ring are truly genius. loving hilarious

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

pathetic little tramp posted:

I don't have a question but I just have something I just now realised on the way into work in this morning and I need to tell someone and I feel dumb as gently caress for not getting it before.

The reason Vince made Steve Austin take Ted DiBiase as his manager was because Steve's name was Steve Austin and Ted DiBiase was the million dollar man.

This sound went off when I finally realised, 25 year later, what Vince did there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-G0SVEQW8A

Well I'll be damned! That has never clicked for me either.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So was Jim Duggan just supposed to be an overgrown mentally challenged child?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

With the smack of a 2x4 to the head, mild mannered 10 year old Billy Batson becomes Hacksaw Jim Duggan but also has a concussion every time he hollers the word of power: HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

uh he is a college educated, intelligent man

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can't seem to find the clip from early 90s WWF where Duggan is trying to say the word "supposed" during an interview and instead just starts stuttering and screaming.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

If you had to buy a new mask should it be Ultimo Dragon, TigerMask or Dragon Lee?

I have too many Pentagon masks.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Tiger Mask is a classic, and as a bonus if you ever need to work Stardom you'll be set.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

some incarnations are better than others, like the original Sayama mask, but overall the Tiger Mask is the best mask in wrestling

I want more masked characters like that outside lucha and puro markets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Low Desert Punk posted:

some incarnations are better than others, like the original Sayama mask, but overall the Tiger Mask is the best mask in wrestling

I really don't know the first thing about his work and am not the most familiar with a lot of masked wrestlers in general but I really really like Hayabusa's.