Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

The spoiled map is where I am right now and eugh.

Tyrant with a focus on cars and gasoline in the middle of the desert? Sounds slightly familiar.

Exactly how I felt. It's still well done, but kind of a curve ball for a Metro game. The sandstorms are a thing of beauty though. I got caught in the open at night and the atmosphere was just hauntingly gorgeous.

It really feels like a game where the devs were passionate and confident enough in giving what their fans expected. And they delivered, flaws and all. Even if you never played the previous Metros, consider giving this one a shot. It really is something special. Just a shame the whole Epic/Steam debacle kinda overshadowed it during launch.

Noirex fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Mr.PayDay posted:

Metro with RTX on looks incredible and seriously adds something to the visual immersion and atmosphere, and the 2080Ti allows the biggest frame push here.

Depending on the game(+ gfx engine) and resolution, you generally might get a 25-35% fps boost, so that’s a hobby and an enthusiasms invest of disposable income.
No shame there to admit imo. YOLO and enjoy :yayclod:

It does look incredible on my 2080 at 1440P ultra and RTX high. I average about 60FPS during the Volga level with those settings, but I understand Caspian is a heavier load.

I doubt I’ll come up in the step up queue for 3+ months, which might be the perfect time to replay the game. OR I could be really stupid with my money and sell the 2080 for a slight loss and grab the 2080Ti right now for absolute YOLO factor.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

How many hours have you spend? I'm in autumn now, already clocking 24h due to going slow and enjoying the world.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

haldolium posted:

How many hours have you spend? I'm in autumn now, already clocking 24h due to going slow and enjoying the world.

How do you see your played time in Exodus?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like this game is being criminally overlooked by the general public right now.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Locator posted:

How do you see your played time in Exodus?

Steam :v:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like this game is being criminally overlooked by the general public right now.

probably because whoops taking it off the largest pc marketplace two weeks before release

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Steam users lack sufficient faith in Epic Games and will thus be eaten by Tsar-Fish 🐟

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serious answer: Playnite.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Welp... guess my playtime will remain a mystery!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I've now finished it with a little under 26h on normal, fantastic game. I truly hope the desastrous storefront stunt from Deep Silver doesn't hurt the sales too much. Despite being removed from Steam, it's sitting there with 85% positive reviews and has over 3000 (for comparison, current FarCry release has 1300 reviews) so maybe pre-orders did save the day for once?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
gently caress buying a 1,200$ GPU though.

(Cyberpunk 2077 will have ray tracing, though. gently caress.)

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 20, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am just going to get Cyberpunk 2077 for console. I imagine the new consoles will be out by then though.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, but when you die and your life flashes by your eyes, do you really want to have played Cyberpunk 2077 without ray tracing?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Firstborn posted:

gently caress buying a 1,200$ GPU though.

(Cyberpunk 2077 will have ray tracing, though. gently caress.)

I mean it does look super beautiful without raytraycing. I'd skip this generation anyways and see where all this goes and then hop on the RT train with the updated GPUs. Early adopter market is usually just a waste of money.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

haldolium posted:

I mean it does look super beautiful without raytraycing. I'd skip this generation anyways and see where all this goes and then hop on the RT train with the updated GPUs. Early adopter market is usually just a waste of money.

I mean you can't do much more with resolution so lighting is really the way to go now. AMD is on board with ray tracing in the future, Unity and Unreal both are implementing or have implemented DX12 RT in their engines. It makes a meaningful difference in game when done right for immersion and mood of the game.

But yeah, right now it's not in many games and not done in a mature way from a tech and design perspective.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
Going back a page to someone who asked about filters and time, in the very first metro game filters lasted either 3 or 4 minutes and if you popped one early yes you did lose that time ever since the redux versions and last light however that was changed, filter swaps do not lose the remaining time on your overall filter count now.

They left the filter swap in because of the atmosphere same as mask wiping and the pneumatic weapon pumping. And every so often you will have to decide between popping a new filter and potentially being hit by something or risking that sliver of suffocation damage to take out an approaching threat.

Also to the person who fed the Tsar fish and is wondering why it is still agro.

Feeding it is just there to set it up to be murdered by dropping a ton of poo poo on it. Its a mutated catfish it doesn't care about your morality but it is funny as hell you fell into the faith of the Tsar fish so hard. Kill all mutants, purify the surface, it is your job as an order soldier.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

It never even occurred to me to feed the stupid fish that was trying to eat me while also eating a bunch of the mutants that wanted to eat me.

I guess I sort of fed it by luring the mutants out to where the great fish could nab them.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hamelekim posted:

I mean you can't do much more with resolution so lighting is really the way to go now. AMD is on board with ray tracing in the future, Unity and Unreal both are implementing or have implemented DX12 RT in their engines. It makes a meaningful difference in game when done right for immersion and mood of the game.

But yeah, right now it's not in many games and not done in a mature way from a tech and design perspective.

Yeah, lighting and physical interaction/simulation too are the last two major visibility upgrades before computer games hit the uncanny valley too and I'm really happy about nvidias choice to just go there and do it. But I'm still not the early adopter kind of enthusiast for these things and simply find 1k+ way too much for a single component that I personally would primarily use for games. And as it goes with these things, a few years from now when it does become mainstream, tech has already advanced beyond what the 2080ti can handle probably so I'll just wait a bit and look at pretty CG renders when I'm super desperate for hyperrealistic visuals :-)

However I can totally understand if people just want the nicest exp out of Metro. It does look fantastic with the new tech, no question there.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
I appreciate that on my criminally out of date PC it still looks absolutely gorgeous too as well. Exodus may well be the straw that breaks the mutated camels back for buying an upgrade.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Catfish is a badfish. Runs rather well on my shitbox which is really surprising. i5 3470, 8gb ram and a 6gb 1060. Weird how that it took about 5 minutes of "applying settings" when I turned it down from ultra to high. The hell was the game doing?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Catfish is a badfish. Runs rather well on my shitbox which is really surprising. i5 3470, 8gb ram and a 6gb 1060. Weird how that it took about 5 minutes of "applying settings" when I turned it down from ultra to high. The hell was the game doing?

Dumping and reloading textures and recalculating shaders, probably. Do you have an HDD and not an SSD?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

I said come in! posted:

I am just going to get Cyberpunk 2077 for console. I imagine the new consoles will be out by then though.

And look worse than the Pc RTX on / Raytracing variants :xd:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr.PayDay posted:

And look worse than the Pc RTX on / Raytracing variants :xd:

I would think the next consoles would have raytracing? :kiddo:

Crappers
Jun 16, 2012
Loved the previous Metro's but the intro was not doing it for me. When the game opens up though fuuuuuck yes. This is the poo poo. I know it gets linear at points but the Stalker like open world bits are worth the price alone.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haldolium posted:

Yeah I've got a 1080 and I generally like to skip a generation, so I'm planning to just deal without the RTX-niceness and pick up a 3xxx-card when they eventually come out. It might be a little painful performance-wise with certain games, but it's too much a financial slippery slope for me to upgrade my components each generation.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So I'm stuck, and hoping someone here can help me.

I am in the city after the dam.

In the area after I split up from Miller where we were at the kid's base, I am in a burnt out room with a bunch of glowing mushrooms in the bottom level. There is a switch at the end of the room, but it won't open, and my way back is collapsed so I can't go back to restore power or whatever, and I cannot find another exit from this room. Help?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Locator posted:

In the area after I split up from Miller where we were at the kid's base, I am in a burnt out room with a bunch of glowing mushrooms in the bottom level. There is a switch at the end of the room, but it won't open, and my way back is collapsed so I can't go back to restore power or whatever, and I cannot find another exit from this room. Help?

the valve at the opposed side of where you dropped in is supposed to open the gate next to it. Did you fight the moles?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

haldolium posted:

the valve at the opposed side of where you dropped in is supposed to open the gate next to it. Did you fight the moles?

Fought the moles and killed them. Harvested all the mushrooms, then the lights went out and the valve doesn't do anything except make a noise when I try to turn it. I figured I needed to go find a generator to gas it up, but there's no way out of the room. Maybe this was some sort of stupid 'timed' challenge where I have to kill the moles and exit before the lights went out, if so I failed and now I'm hosed I guess.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Locator posted:

If it's the room I'm thinking of you have to hold the use key on the valve instead of pressing or tapping. It took me forever to figure out.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 21, 2019

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Fallom posted:

Dumping and reloading textures and recalculating shaders, probably. Do you have an HDD and not an SSD?

Installed on my SSD which is the weird thing. Game is getting pretty chuggy now I hit the second open area though.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

If it's the room I'm thinking of you have to hold the use key on the valve instead of pressing or tapping. It took me forever to figure out.

I thought I had done that, but who knows. I reloaded the game and it worked first try, so maybe I was on drugs and just never did that?

So I finished the game, which is strange to me, as I never finish games. Worth the money and was great, but... I never finish games, so was either very engrossing or this was a very short game, and I thought I cleared every location of interest on each map.

Now I need to find that YT video showing both the good and bad endings to see which mine was, because... I thought it was pretty bad!

Edit: I officially got the bad ending. No clue why, unless the game doesn't allow a single mistake for the ending decision - I killed one guy who had surrendered in the first zone, and after that I don't think I ever killed anyone I shouldn't have, but oh well!

The Locator fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 21, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The Locator posted:

I thought I had done that, but who knows. I reloaded the game and it worked first try, so maybe I was on drugs and just never did that?

So I finished the game, which is strange to me, as I never finish games. Worth the money and was great, but... I never finish games, so was either very engrossing or this was a very short game, and I thought I cleared every location of interest on each map.

Now I need to find that YT video showing both the good and bad endings to see which mine was, because... I thought it was pretty bad!

Edit: I officially got the bad ending. No clue why, unless the game doesn't allow a single mistake for the ending decision - I killed one guy who had surrendered in the first zone, and after that I don't think I ever killed anyone I shouldn't have, but oh well!

Ending spoilers :Did all your teammates other than Miller live? Did you rescue/not kill the slaves in the desert? Did you kill any of the forest kids? You basically have to stealth most things to get good karma. The last level is absolutely amazing and I hope their bad marketing doesn't sink the franchise.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 21, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Hub Cat posted:

Ending spoilers :Did all your teammates other than Miller live? Did you rescue/not kill the slaves in the desert? Did you kill any of the forest kids? The last level is absolutely amazing and I hope their bad marketing doesn't sink the franchise.

Nope, I lost a dude in the very first zone getting the train across the bridge. I assume because of my one kill on a surrendered guy which is when I discovered that mattered. I rescued the slaves. Forest kids... do they include the pirates or only the pioneers? I snuck my way through the pioneer village/outpost, but I murdered the gently caress out of the pirate encampment with my sniper rifle.

It was a pretty great game regardless of the ending I got!

Edit: In the forest kids area I also slaughtered everyone that moved (until they surrendered) in the very first part, because they were trying really hard to kill me when I hadn't done anything at all to them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is the Tihar a permanent/in a special weapon slot? I’d much rather have a shotgun, sniper rifle, and suppressed rifle but I guess I can’t.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Is the Tihar a permanent/in a special weapon slot? I’d much rather have a shotgun, sniper rifle, and suppressed rifle but I guess I can’t.

You can lit have that. The Tikhar is suppressed already and has incredible range, just carry a bastard and a kalash with it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

it would be insane to not want to have the Tihar in your inventory. It's kind of your get out of jail free gun, since it's the only one you can craft ammo for in the field. Plus it's really good. Silent headshots and fully semi auto for close range. Just remember to pump it up and clean it, since the main crafting table doesn't restore it like it does with the other guns.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 21, 2019

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
loving A' the Caspian Desert map dropped my daytime FPS from 55-60 down to the 40s.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

I would think the next consoles would have raytracing? :kiddo:

No, there's pretty much zero chance of PS5/Nextbox having useful ray tracing support. AMD doesn't have any ray tracing support right now, and even if they had, the performance impact on the 2080 Ti is immense. All I could imagine is some token feature for marketing reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

loving A' the Caspian Desert map dropped my daytime FPS from 55-60 down to the 40s.

Funnily enough I was having trouble in the Volga, climbing the crane dropped my FPS into single digits, but the desert is fine and the lighthouse didn’t give me much of a drop at all.