Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Unifi Network maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unms

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Yeah it's UNMS.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
They changed the name of the app to UNMS, but didn't update any documentation just to make things more difficult.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ubiquiti.txt

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Ubiquiti.txt

The current unifi network stable controller is 5.10.17. The current manual is for unifi controller 5.6.2. The dashboard/home gui don't match so anybody trying to set it up using the guide is not going to understand what the gently caress is going on.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 18, 2019

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

YouTube howto’s are ubiquiti’s manuals. At least they were for me.

Seriously! There’s a lot of really good content on YouTube for uniquiti’s hardware.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

DNK posted:

YouTube howto’s are ubiquiti’s manuals. At least they were for me.

Seriously! There’s a lot of really good content on YouTube for uniquiti’s hardware.

The fact that there are fans doing their work doesn't make their lack of proper official up-to-date documentation less evident. I can understand the manuals lagging a bit(say a couple of minor, or a major on day 1) behind the latest releases on a small newcomer firm but having to rely 100% on xXx_420_Dank_Goku_Ichigo_420_xXx videos to set up a Soho/SMB platform is not a good thing :shrug:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a good guide on using the Ubiquiti cloud key to force chrome cast to use my PiHole for DMS stuff?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a good guide on using the Ubiquiti cloud key to force chrome cast to use my PiHole for DMS stuff?

Your DHCP DNS settings should only have your piHole's IP in it.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Your DHCP DNS settings should only have your piHole's IP in it.

Chromecast ignores that and goes to 8.8.8.8 no matter what unless you set some rules up within your router:

https://www.businessinsider.com/paul-vixie-blasts-google-chromecast-2019-2

I know there is a way to do it with the USG (because of course there is) but I've seen a few different ways and people saying either it works or it doesn't and wanted to know if someone here has done it and could offer some help.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I don't have a USG, but you should be able to go to Routing & Firewall > WAN IN > and put in a rule to deny traffic from 8.8.8.8. You can set up the same for WAN OUT. I'd just try that first and see if it works.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003173168-UniFi-USG-Firewall-Introduction-to-Firewall-Rules#4

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
For my ER-X I set up a NAT rule forwarding all port 53 traffic to my pihole, and then have it masquerade as a captive DNS portal. I am not sure if this helps you or not.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

I just got gigabit fiber through Centurylink and would like to use a Ubiquiti device to do my PPPoEing and VLAN tagging and I guess probably routing. I have an ASUS router that I will probably convert into AP duty but at some point will likely upgrade to a Ubiquiti AP. I have a file server that I will likely have running UniFi. Having UniFi running elsewhere eliminates the need for a USG, correct? So an Edgerouter X or Lite are the two to consider? What should I be looking at when deciding which is a better fit for me? It seems like with the Lite I would need to also get an unmanaged switch but with the X I would not? The ports on the ASUS AP should work as normal from a switching perspective so I guess that might not be necessary until I upgrade to a Ubiquiti AP? Which seems to mean the only thing I really need to consider right now is actual routing ability between the ERX and ERL and maybe PoE on device for the future AP?

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I just got gigabit fiber through Centurylink and would like to use a Ubiquiti device to do my PPPoEing and VLAN tagging and I guess probably routing. I have an ASUS router that I will probably convert into AP duty but at some point will likely upgrade to a Ubiquiti AP. I have a file server that I will likely have running UniFi. Having UniFi running elsewhere eliminates the need for a USG, correct? So an Edgerouter X or Lite are the two to consider? What should I be looking at when deciding which is a better fit for me? It seems like with the Lite I would need to also get an unmanaged switch but with the X I would not? The ports on the ASUS AP should work as normal from a switching perspective so I guess that might not be necessary until I upgrade to a Ubiquiti AP? Which seems to mean the only thing I really need to consider right now is actual routing ability between the ERX and ERL and maybe PoE on device for the future AP?

I don't think you have all of this correct. Running the Unifi controller elsewhere is not the same as not needing a USG. USG runs the Unifi OS, whereas both the Edgerouters run Edge OS. They all route but the OSes have different commands, interfaces, etc. You also don't want an unmanaged switch in the chain if you're planning to do VLAN tagging (at least AFAIK). Others can chime in with more detailed info, but I think you need to know your needs/priorities. USG will be more expensive but has some features that ER doesn't (particularly if you end up with Unifi switches and APs), but USG also struggles with routing gigabit WAN in some cases, so you'd need to consider if those cases cover you.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

thiazi posted:

I don't think you have all of this correct. Running the Unifi controller elsewhere is not the same as not needing a USG. USG runs the Unifi OS, whereas both the Edgerouters run Edge OS. They all route but the OSes have different commands, interfaces, etc. You also don't want an unmanaged switch in the chain if you're planning to do VLAN tagging (at least AFAIK). Others can chime in with more detailed info, but I think you need to know your needs/priorities. USG will be more expensive but has some features that ER doesn't (particularly if you end up with Unifi switches and APs), but USG also struggles with routing gigabit WAN in some cases, so you'd need to consider if those cases cover you.

Oh. I knew the Edgerouters were CLI but I thought UniFi running somewhere would give you a GUI that could push your settings to Edgerouters. Sounds like not and there are probably specific devices that run off UniFi. Seems like the APs so I'd need to worry about that at some point but not right now? The vlan tagging is only for the PPPoE login stuff, which Clink requires, not for the network as a whole. The vlan tagging is strictly between the ONT and the modem I think. I don't intend on having any actual vlans otherwise.

Ok, then let me state what I would like to maybe help clarify. Currently, I have my ONT plugged into the Clink provided Modem/router, which is connected to my ASUS Wireless AP. The ASUS is flashed with Merlin so it is capable of authenticating my fiber connection which requires PPPoE login and vlan tagging which I did but the bandwidge was garbage so I switched back to the Clink provided one for the time being. I would like to get a device capable of authenticating my fiber connection at near full bandwidth and removing the Clink provided modem/router which it appears Edgerouters are capable of to different degrees. I don't mind learning and using the CLI.

I want to basically do this https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-CenturyLink-Fiber-and-VLAN-201-Help/td-p/1810808 and I am trying to decide which device would be best. I had seen some chatter that the USG is a little buggy which is why I was not considering it (on top of being more expensive) but I'm open to being corrected. I'm also not going with Ubiquiti APs for the time being but probably will in the future so UniFI OS is not an immediate requirement.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Wait, when did the U-Verse fiber setup move from needing to do all kinds of shenanigans with their modem for 802.1x to just needing VLAN 201 and removing it altogether? Because holy poo poo if that's the case I'm setting that up tonight.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Oh. I knew the Edgerouters were CLI but I thought UniFi running somewhere would give you a GUI that could push your settings to Edgerouters. Sounds like not and there are probably specific devices that run off UniFi. Seems like the APs so I'd need to worry about that at some point but not right now? The vlan tagging is only for the PPPoE login stuff, which Clink requires, not for the network as a whole. The vlan tagging is strictly between the ONT and the modem I think. I don't intend on having any actual vlans otherwise.

Ok, then let me state what I would like to maybe help clarify. Currently, I have my ONT plugged into the Clink provided Modem/router, which is connected to my ASUS Wireless AP. The ASUS is flashed with Merlin so it is capable of authenticating my fiber connection which requires PPPoE login and vlan tagging which I did but the bandwidge was garbage so I switched back to the Clink provided one for the time being. I would like to get a device capable of authenticating my fiber connection at near full bandwidth and removing the Clink provided modem/router which it appears Edgerouters are capable of to different degrees. I don't mind learning and using the CLI.

I want to basically do this https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Routing-Switching/USG-CenturyLink-Fiber-and-VLAN-201-Help/td-p/1810808 and I am trying to decide which device would be best. I had seen some chatter that the USG is a little buggy which is why I was not considering it (on top of being more expensive) but I'm open to being corrected. I'm also not going with Ubiquiti APs for the time being but probably will in the future so UniFI OS is not an immediate requirement.

ER has a GUI as well, but the GUI is different than Unifi. You can mix and match between them just fine, but you lose the Unifi ability to push changes to the full stack if ER is in the mix. Sounds like you probably want an Edgerouter of some flavor if you don't have any other Unifi now, and if/when you even consider more Unifi things like APs or switches you may want to move to a USG (but don't have to). I don't know enough to comment which you'd prefer between ERX and ERL.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

H2SO4 posted:

Wait, when did the U-Verse fiber setup move from needing to do all kinds of shenanigans with their modem for 802.1x to just needing VLAN 201 and removing it altogether? Because holy poo poo if that's the case I'm setting that up tonight.

No, you still need to continue using the original device somewhere in the network path to provide 802.1x EAP authentication for AT&T Uverse products

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

CrazyLittle posted:

No, you still need to continue using the original device somewhere in the network path to provide 802.1x EAP authentication for AT&T Uverse products

If I don't use the TV products then I can scrap it though? Because if so that's wonderful news. If I get rid of the TV package my price shoots up so everything's just unhooked and sitting in a box.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

H2SO4 posted:

I think it’s just Centurylink fiber that only requires your PPPoE login and VLAN 201

thiazi posted:

ER has a GUI as well, but the GUI is different than Unifi. You can mix and match between them just fine, but you lose the Unifi ability to push changes to the full stack if ER is in the mix. Sounds like you probably want an Edgerouter of some flavor if you don't have any other Unifi now, and if/when you even consider more Unifi things like APs or switches you may want to move to a USG (but don't have to). I don't know enough to comment which you'd prefer between ERX and ERL.

Ok! Thank you for clarifying

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Can I get a Ubiquiti AC Lite and connect it to my R7000 as an AP or do I need to get the ubiquiti controller thingo too? their website or manual is not clear.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You only need to run the software controller once somewhere but honestly

If aren’t using it’s extra features might as well try another vendor

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
In the market for new wifi router - my current one is awfully old.

Setup details: 596 sq foot 1 br condo with concrete walls and a metal front door. I just installed a ring video doorbell (thanks to my condo HOA for approving it informally as soon as we came up with the idea to replace/augment the peephole, nominally its not allowed normally) which is being un-fun re connection strength, particularly through the door.

Currently have a Netgear R6300 from 2008 or so. It's original replacement was a dlink dir-615 which we discovered was so old it thought XP was new.

Budget is undetermined, but I'm wondering what the usual price points are for a nominally consumer-grade 4 port router are? Would be buying through Amazon.

What I need to do, specifically:

Ethernet from router to ethernet switch to desktop PC over Cat5E cable.

Wireless connections for Amazon Echo, Google Home, Ring Chime Pro, and Ring Video Doorbell 2, plus cellphone and laptop. Definitely need a stronger signal for the ring stuff. Would be nice if it was Wifi 6.

Help?

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Amazon has the Archer A7 (C7 version w/ Alexa) on the treasure truck today for $45 if you are in the Phoenix area.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Baba Oh Really posted:

Amazon has the Archer A7 (C7 version w/ Alexa) on the treasure truck today for $45 if you are in the Phoenix area.

Nope, South Florida.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

H2SO4 posted:

If I don't use the TV products then I can scrap it though? Because if so that's wonderful news. If I get rid of the TV package my price shoots up so everything's just unhooked and sitting in a box.

Specifically in the case of AT&T uverse products (adsl and fiber) you need their Arris/Pace router somewhere connected to your network to provide its burned-in key or else your internet connection will get shut down the next time the network controller does an audit and tries to authenticate your Ubiquiti router.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

The T-Mobile Cellspot certified pre-owned is on sale again for $40 from T-Mobile with a coupon code:
https://slickdeals.net/f/12859015-t-mobile-tm-ac1900-wifi-cellspot-router-certified-pre-owned-40-free-s-h?src=frontpage
https://www.t-mobile.com/accessory/t-mobile-wi-fi-cellspot-router-certified-pre-owned
coupon code: CPOROUT (applied in cart) = $39.99

I mentioned it last time it was up but these are ASUS RT-68U with an alternate firmware installed to provide t-mobile customers with wifi cell phone service. Not sure why that requires special firmware but you can flash them back to ASUS stock firmware with some work, and there's even third party firmware available, too. It takes time and is kind of finnicky but I've done it and the router is pretty solid. If you don't feel like screwing around with router firmware for a couple of hours it may not be worthwhile to you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Three (UK) are doing unlimited 4G for £22/month, designed to be used at home:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devices/Huawei/HomeFi?memory=0&colour=Black

Probably an option if you just shitpost and watch Netflix, or as a backup for a fibre service. Router has antenna connectors on so you can fit an external one if you're in a rural location.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My current living space doesn't allow me to mess with the router/modem combo and also doesn't necessarily allow for me to run ethernet cables all throughout the house. However, Fios sells this. https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-adapter/

Would I be able to get this and a splitter, then repurpose the coax plugged into my set top box to then make four ethernet accessible ports?

I drew a small rear end, crude rear end diagram because it sounds more vague than I thought.

e: To add more context, the "coax outlet" is just the normal thing on the wall like this:

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 20, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Only if there's a MoCA device at the other end of the cable

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

If you're using the FiOS router then it has MoCA (network over coax) and I'd assume that device is a MoCA to ethernet switch kind of thing. I'm not certain how well it will handle a splitter but it will probably be fine if you use a good one. I'm pretty sure the set top boxes and the router in my house all come off a splitter that's attached to the optical network terminal in the basement.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Only if there's a MoCA device at the other end of the cable

Which cable? The coax needs to be plugged in directly to a MoCA device to work? As in, this set up here won't work?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Which cable? The coax needs to be plugged in directly to a MoCA device to work? As in, this set up here won't work?

He's saying you need another MoCA device in the house to provide the network connection over MoCA to that device, which you will have if you're using a FiOS modem/router combo unit and it's hooked up to the coax in the house.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Rexxed posted:

He's saying you need another MoCA device in the house to provide the network connection over MoCA to that device, which you will have if you're using a FiOS modem/router combo unit and it's hooked up to the coax in the house.

So will it need to plug right into the modem/router itself or because I have the modem/router at all, the proposed setup will work?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You need to find out what modem is plugged into the coax in the basement and the model number will tell us whether your plan will work

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

You need to find out what modem is plugged into the coax in the basement and the model number will tell us whether your plan will work

In the basement, everything is coming from this big ol' box. Model number looks to be ONT I-211m-L

Then, the router/modem combo we have is one floor up, but it's the FiOS-G1100, the Quantum Gateway.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Is there a way to get my Linksys E6500 WAP to update a DNS server when handing out DHCP addresses? I’m using a Raspberry Pi as a DNS Server, and static addresses work fine (editing zone files, etc.), but it would be awesome if DNS could be updated for DHCP addresses.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
You could disable the DHCP server on the router and turn on the DHCP server on the Pi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LODGE NORTH posted:

In the basement, everything is coming from this big ol' box. Model number looks to be ONT I-211m-L

Then, the router/modem combo we have is one floor up, but it's the FiOS-G1100, the Quantum Gateway.

You can buy the FiOS thing, or a wireless bridge, or a router that works in bridge mode. They'll all work but in your position I'd probably just get the FiOS moca bridge thing you posted about.