Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
In my mind Kemurikusa is season 2 of Kemofriends and it makes sense.

Takes place after ceruleans spread and took the hell over the world. Mankind tried to get out of it by producing androids, didn't do the trick. Plant-life friends survived, the animal kingdom ones vanished along with the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Good Listener posted:

Seeing the Kaban bit made me not want to check out the episode at all so I'm just going to sit on the sidelines this time. I hope it can figure something out but that bad taste is still really bad and that reveal just made it worse :(
about the only way I can see this not being horrible is that Kaban died of old age and Serval ran out of Sandstar and reverted to an animal and then got transformed again, so it's less "How could she forget" and more "The bond was so strong that she can remember it all even when she shouldn't be able to"

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

El Burbo posted:

I don’t like it

Kadokawa delenda est.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I dunno, I just feel bad for the people working on this. Aside from that part with Serval forgetting Kaban, it wasn't particularly offensive or bad. There were some good and potentially interesting bits, but yeah the whole experience is a downer and I blame it on Kadokawa loving it all up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is it just rose-colored glasses or was the animation actually better in the first season?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Sindai posted:

Is it just rose-colored glasses or was the animation actually better in the first season?

I'd say partly rose-coloured, part "animators were told to make it the same as 1st season resulting in what we have now"

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Sindai posted:

The second season is doing the anime-CG thing where they skip every other frame of animation making it look really stilted and jittery. A quick look at a few episodes from season 1 and I don't see the same thing happening.

I don't know if this weird effect is something they have to go out of their way to do or something that saves money but either way it makes it look worse, even if the models might be better. This seems to be a problem with a lot of CG anime in general, such as the CG in Zombieland. Hopefully someone figures out that it looks like poo poo and lets Kadokawa know.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

The second season is doing the anime-CG thing where they skip every other frame of animation making it look really stilted and jittery. A quick look at a few episodes from season 1 and I don't see the same thing happening.

I don't know if this weird effect is something they have to go out of their way to do or something that saves money but either way it makes it look worse, even if the models might be better. This seems to be a problem with a lot of CG anime in general, such as the CG in Zombieland. Hopefully someone figures out that it looks like poo poo and lets Kadokawa know.

It's definitely inconsistent. There's a bit where the framerate noticeably goes up as the background pans in one direction and the foreground rotates in the other, but those models are at even less frame rate. At the moment, there's not as much charm in the characters. They seem less original or at least more poorly conceived.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Episode two starts with a minute long recap so they can save money on the already unfathomably flat and lifeless visuals. They tried to get depth in one clip of the panda but her head ended up looking twice the scale of MC then it went back to normal. Why does it break out into higher framerate bits from time to time. Why are the walking animations. They keyed manually right? Why what happened after finding that tool and oh my god can it be an more loving flat. Why is this so nonsensical and useless to the events of the story. How did you fix that poo poo with that one tool. The fan-made manga was entire dimensions ahead of this mega-garbage. I am in disbelief over how bad this is. Then off it goes to hyper-detail monorail bus. Episode 2 TSDW: Nothing happened.

They are putting minimum money in trying to get maximum money out. This is atrocious and will probably break my brain with bad like Pastel Memories which is offensively so, but at least we have Kemurikusa.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Probably the most disappointing thing to hear. The team this time is probably being held by the balls.

At least we have Kemurikusa.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

The animators phoning it in is an acceptable response to having to work on this travesty of justice.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/bsnkuhi/status/1086779223530860544?s=19

The sun is pretty sugoi

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/goodsleepy2/status/1091950914817019904
vs
https://twitter.com/goodsleepy2/status/1091951828848193536

Four frames from each season demonstrating another contributing factor to the soulless feel of season 2. Even rushed out yearly $60 AAA garbage games take eye contact in mind. Backstreet Girls sometimes seems to have been made with a higher budget than s2.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Kaban?

https://twitter.com/tori_in/status/1095015277656301568

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Sooooo... she never left the island, or regularly returns after leaving the island? Kadokawa milking it.

e: Why is Serval still on the island anyway? Is this another remnant of Professor turned into Kaban suffering the same fate, meeting another Serval remnant with the original memories?

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 12, 2019

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
No idea, but she looks cute

https://twitter.com/Story_terrorV2/status/1095015368039444480

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Ahh... My heart...
I know they're just doing this to pander but God if it isn't working

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
So what's the verdict on this show so far? Is it irredeemable trash or at least mediocre?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Hommando posted:

So what's the verdict on this show so far? Is it irredeemable trash or at least mediocre?

This is mega-mediocrum phoned in from a sketched up script of introducing A B and C at points X Y and Z so it mostly consists of actual mindless filler, like the footage from S1E2 with otter on the slider was looped for longer than even a meme youtuber would bother, only fully inane and poorly thought out, always ending with human memories or the sketchbook being key to saving a situation. Episode 5 and finally they did something interesting. At the end. For a couple of minutes runtime.

Kemurikusa meanwhile is 100% Tatsuki, brimming with dark mysterious post-apocalyptic dread every episode, uses the original style MMD-like animation for visuals so even its cute little roomba-turret robots have more life and emotion in them than Kemofriends S2.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Relevant

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

This is mega-mediocrum phoned in from a sketched up script of introducing A B and C at points X Y and Z so it mostly consists of actual mindless filler, like the footage from S1E2 with otter on the slider was looped for longer than even a meme youtuber would bother, only fully inane and poorly thought out, always ending with human memories or the sketchbook being key to saving a situation. Episode 5 and finally they did something interesting. At the end. For a couple of minutes runtime.

Kemurikusa meanwhile is 100% Tatsuki, brimming with dark mysterious post-apocalyptic dread every episode, uses the original style MMD-like animation for visuals so even its cute little roomba-turret robots have more life and emotion in them than Kemofriends S2.

Have you considered making a thread for Kemurikusa? I haven't seen anyone talking about it except your posts.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Tir McDohl posted:

Have you considered making a thread for Kemurikusa? I haven't seen anyone talking about it except your posts.
I've only mentioned it twice in the season thread since it started, but that's mostly because, as you say, nobody else is talking about it. I think it started real rough but it has improved and at this point I'd say I'm watching it on its own merits vs before where it was just on good faith from Friends. I'd be interested in other people's opinions on it if there's many others also watching it in silence.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I was excited to watch more after ep2 but haven’t bothered yet. It seems pretty darn full of ideas and I quite like the for lack of a better term mascot sisters.

Of kemurikusa. Not this.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I've only mentioned it twice in the season thread since it started, but that's mostly because, as you say, nobody else is talking about it. I think it started real rough but it has improved and at this point I'd say I'm watching it on its own merits vs before where it was just on good faith from Friends. I'd be interested in other people's opinions on it if there's many others also watching it in silence.

Make the thread and call it "Kemurikusa: kemono fronds".

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
eternal sunshine of the serval mind

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dzhay posted:

:hmmyes:

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Kemurikusa is extremely good and I want to read goons post more about it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'll watch it too just so we have things to talk about and show our support for the producer's ideas.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Dzhay posted:

Done!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882252

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
After being a little bit too outraged for my own good by the Kado stuff that kicked off after season 1 ended, I can easily admit to jumping into Kemono Friends 2 with pretty poor faith. But... I honestly really like this. It feels like the team has a solid understanding of what people (or, well, maybe just me) liked about season 1, if anything I'm enjoying this drastically more than Tatsuki's actual current production, Kemurikusa.
There are definitely stylistic and production differences that make the viewing experience a tad awkward. It does look somewhat sterile, the OP and ED are unremarkable, the character animation is incredibly inconsistent. I really appreciate the tweets posted earlier pointing out the line of sights. But hey!
Loving the characters still, can't wait to see what the deal is with Kyururu, and Serval. The ending of that last episode was excellent!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

:allears:

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Did you mean [Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price]?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Second Seasons for Scant Simoleons

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Episode 6, seems they opted for a retcon of S1. My limits of watching bad trainwreck anime are being pushed to the edge by this show. Precure at its worst, which according to many wrong people was MaxHeart, was like an all-star production staff masterpiece targetting IQ150+ adults compared to this. It's like the target audience are the comatose.

Reddit theory is that the owls are of a new generation thus their differences from before, but then.. underwater cerulean? Then that reddit post in /anime goes into embarassing cringe.

Conclusion: Really, gently caress Kadokawa. It feels like they drop paid shills off at reddit.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 19, 2019

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/odorutora3/status/1097810016617226240

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

In one split second, they dashed any hopes of getting me to watch KFS2.

:smith:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Weird choice to kill off a beloved main character and replace her with a clone between seasons.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What's the point of bringing back all the same characters if they're not actually going to be the same characters?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
We live in a world where Kaban and Serval are no longer friends.

We got the bad end and we can't go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hommando posted:

We live in a world where Kaban and Serval are no longer friends.

We got the bad end and we can't go back.

This truly is the darkestest timeline.