Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stirrup_Controversy

Moderately interesting in an academic sense, but- The Great Stirrup Controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

In response to the rising vampire subculture, a pseudo-Christian counter-movement of self-professed vampire slayers has formed that opposes the notion of real vampires.[4] Online, they swarm vampire websites with hate mail and participate in other similar activities,[11] but there are rumors of zealous vampire slayers murdering human vampires.[4]

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Vietnam is viewed by some[who?] as a less popular war than World War II.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Vietnam is viewed by some[who?] as a less popular war than World War II.

lol

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

its use has expanded to cover rule by judges in the modern sense as well, as in the case of Somalia, ruled by judges with the polycentric legal tradition of xeer,[2] and arguably the Islamic Courts Union[citation needed] and in the fictional regime of Mega-city One, the focus of setting for the Judge Dredd franchise.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

FrozenVent posted:

She was soon bound for Okinawa, where she arrived 12 August 1945, and ate some watermelons. Hanover unloaded replacement troops on that battle-scarred island, and after the close of the war prepared to take part in the occupation. One of the Army officers that had been exercising his troops a few days before, went into the caves on Okinawa and was killed. Some Japanese refused to surrender at the end of the war.

In conclusion, Japan is a land of contrasts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When fresh mushrooms are cooked, they let off enormous amounts of vapor in relation to their size. Fresh mushrooms used as stuffings or pastry fillings could therefore build up pressure inside the dish or pastry, causing it to crack or even explode.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the ol shroom boom

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the ol shroom boom

mods, namechange

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

these toadstools taste like bo-bombs

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

When fresh mushrooms are cooked, they let off enormous amounts of vapor in relation to their size. Fresh mushrooms used as stuffings or pastry fillings could therefore build up pressure inside the dish or pastry, causing it to crack or even explode.

HACKERS CAN TURN YOUR SOUFFLÉ INTO A BOMB!

e: As long as it’s a soufflé with mushrooms I guess? Also mushrooms are loving awful little nuggets of fungal russian roulette. Do not eat mushrooms, your life is worth more than that!

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 20, 2019

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Schadenboner posted:

HACKERS CAN TURN YOUR SOUFFLÉ INTO A BOMB!

e: As long as it’s a soufflé with mushrooms I guess? Also mushrooms are loving awful little nuggets of fungal russian roulette. Do not eat mushrooms, your life is worth more than that!

yeah, mushrooms are bad

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
mushrooms are good, actually. they are bad if they are cooked badly.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
bad mushrooms are either slimy little wads of shame or leathery bits of sadness but good mushrooms are like what tofu would be if it was actual food

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Schadenboner posted:

Also mushrooms are loving awful little nuggets of fungal russian roulette. Do not eat mushrooms, your life is worth more than that!
look at this weird little baby man who's afraid that one of the white button mushrooms at the grocery store might turn out to be a fly agaric when he eats it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i like food, its good

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sham bam bamina! posted:

look at this weird little baby man who's afraid that one of the white button mushrooms at the grocery store might turn out to be a fly agaric when he eats it

Actually BORAT VOICE MY WIFE’s family is Russian so they spend all of late summer and fall in the woods collecting the fuckers. I’m deathly afraid to eat anything at their house.

:ohdear:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Schadenboner posted:

BORAT VOICE MY WIFE
this is about the fifth time i've seen you post this "joke" and it's like a poo poo-smeared poke in the eye every time

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sham bam bamina! posted:

this is about the fifth time i've seen you post this "joke" and it's like a poo poo-smeared poke in the eye every time

BORAT VOICE IT'S VERY NICE!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Krankenstyle posted:

these toadstools taste like bo-bombs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Schadenboner posted:

Actually BORAT VOICE MY WIFE’s family is Russian so they spend all of late summer and fall in the woods collecting the fuckers. I’m deathly afraid to eat anything at their house.

:ohdear:

cooking them weakens the toxins

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Schadenboner posted:

BORAT VOICE IT'S VERY NICE!

the movie borat came out 13 years ago

it’s time to move on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

cooking them weakens the toxins

Negative

(even if this is a joke I'm still pointing it out in the interest of public safety)

Also mushrooms are fantastic and the only ones that suck are the ones that come in a can.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my mushroom comes in your moms can

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

Negative

(even if this is a joke I'm still pointing it out in the interest of public safety)

Also mushrooms are fantastic and the only ones that suck are the ones that come in a can.

canned mushrooms are a thing?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

fart simpson posted:

canned mushrooms are a thing?

yep and they’re gross af in anything but like soup or stroganoff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

In the late 2000s, the U.S. Army changed the pepperoni roll to its First Strike Ration. These rations are designed for light infantry, airborne, and special forces during a typical 72-hour patrol. The pepperoni roll's compact size and comparatively high nutritional return make it an ideal ration for these patrols. These rations were extensively employed during Operation Enduring Freedom

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FrozenVent posted:

it’s time to move on

BORAT VOICE YOSPOS, BITHC!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FrozenVent posted:

it’s time to move on

star wars came out forty-two years ago but i still want a lightsaber

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ma waife is a very ughly

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Silver Alicorn posted:

ma waife is a very ughly

good on plow

wizard sleeve

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The sandwich became a minor Internet meme[13] after an April 2010 article authored by Tim Hayward and published by The Guardian declared the shooter's sandwich as the best sandwich in the world.[14][11][13][15] The Guardian article also described the sandwich as a "triumph of Edwardian cuisine."[9]

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throat_lozenge

quote:

Candies to soothe the throat date back to 1000 BC in Egypt's Twentieth Dynasty, when they were made from honey flavored with citrus, herbs, and spices[citation needed]. In the 19th century, physicians discovered morphine and heroin, which suppress coughing at its source— the brain.
That last sentence needs a dramatic sting.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 24, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sagebrush posted:

In the late 2000s, the U.S. Army changed the pepperoni roll to its First Strike Ration. These rations are designed for light infantry, airborne, and special forces during a typical 72-hour patrol. The pepperoni roll's compact size and comparatively high nutritional return make it an ideal ration for these patrols. These rations were extensively employed during Operation Enduring Freedom

doughboys living up to their name

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

A gavel is a small ceremonial mallet commonly made of hardwood, typically fashioned with a handle. It is used almost exclusively in the United States in legislatures and courts of law[a], but is used worldwide for auctions.

Notes
a. The gavel has never been used in any Commonwealth or European Union member state.

Yup. Never used ever in the entire EU or commonwealth. That's certainly a claim you can make without any sort of citation. (Finding evidence to the contrary is extremely trivial)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Carbon dioxide posted:

is extremely trivial)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shave_and_a_Haircut

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roles_of_mothers_in_Disney_media

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I mean, it’s an interesting topic but yeah the article is pretty clearly just a c&p of a fairly half-assed freshman or sophomore essay?

Needs to be wikified, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

probably should not be on wikipedia at all, but it is an interesting lens to view some of the symbology that our society attaches to mothers yeah