Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Surprise T Rex posted:

I'm eyeing up a Focus Titanium myself at the moment, looking to buy in the next week or so. I'm legit excited to get in and play around with the extra stuff included. Reviews of my current Punto still mention "electrically adjustable mirrors" and "electric front windows" as 'features' so the difference in the level of technology is going to be ridiculous.

that stuff is still listed as features, legally in the USA anyway

Gray Matter posted:

somewhat vague words

As someone already suggested, further refine your budget.

Tell me more about safety. You have a kid. Are you looking for "as safe as possible" or "safer than my 2002 cavalier?" The latter is pretty much all cars. The former, I would buy the most used Honda Civic with Honda Sensing or the most Subaru Impreza with Eyesight that I could find. Those two brands made a lot of more advanced safety features standard on inexpensive cars a year or so earlier than most, and on lower trim levels, so it's easier to find vehicles that have those packages.

Uthor posted:

I've gone from a car with a broken fob receiver and key start where I had to use the key all the time to one with wireless unlock and push to start. Outside of maybe the first day, I never touch the fob after it goes in my pocket, forgetting its even there most of the time. I have gotten very used to it very fast.

I don't know if I would pay extra for it, but it is very convenient.

I have one car with a keyless fob and one car with a hard key, and honestly, keyless is mostly useful for lock and unlock. I try to empty my pockets anyway when I drive so the fob just ends up sitting in the cupholder. I think it's probably more convenient if you are a purse-carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hate renting cars without keyless entry. I'm so used to leaving the keys in my pocket I can never go back.

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

Uthor posted:

I've gone from a car with a broken fob receiver and key start where I had to use the key all the time to one with wireless unlock and push to start. Outside of maybe the first day, I never touch the fob after it goes in my pocket, forgetting its even there most of the time. I have gotten very used to it very fast.

I don't know if I would pay extra for it, but it is very convenient.

I agree with this. I like it as a convenience but wouldn't care much if my next car didn't have it.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
Proposed Budget:
Aiming for close to or under $10k

New or Used:
Used, but newer than 2012 or so and with under 90k miles

Body Style:
4-door, I've been leaning towards small cars when I do test drives but planning to use it for rideshare

How will you be using the car?:
I'm planning to do ride share in my area to get myself some income as I'm currently underemployed. I'll also be using the vehicle for personal transport for any work I might find that needs transportation.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?
I don't need luxury but I want a car that is capable of working with my smartphone and have features that will give any passengers comfort but also stand up to the test of time so nothing too fancy.

What aspects are most important to you?
I want something that is going to hold value and be very dependable over 5-10 years.

I've been told that when you're doing ride share a Prius is the way to go but in my area (Pacific Northwest) they seem to be a bit over priced. I've been leaning towards getting a ~2013 Golf TDI because they are in high supply and I can imagine it standing up to the test of time quite well.

Is there a good ride share thread?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I feel like selling plasma or something is a more fiscally sound decision than going into debt to try to make extra money driving for Uber or Lyft.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
I need a car regardless, I have spare time and people in our area are making $20-$30/hr currently doing ride share. I have student debts as well but a used car loan has more immediate value than my degree apparently. Is this the financial advice thread?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

just a kazoo posted:

I need a car regardless, I have spare time and people in our area are making $20-$30/hr currently doing ride share. I have student debts as well but a used car loan has more immediate value than my degree apparently. Is this the financial advice thread?

Actually yeah, it kinda is. Thus the "BFC" in the title.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

just a kazoo posted:

AI meets BFC: Car Buying Thread

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

just a kazoo posted:

people in our area are making $20-$30/hr currently doing ride share.

No they aren't. They are making minimum wage or so and the rest of that is eaten by taxes, maintenance, fuel and depreciation.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
just a kazoo, as Motronic said the $20-30 / hr does not take into account any expenses including taxes. In reality it is much closer to minimum wage if not below depending on a number of factors, none of which carry an element of certainty like you find in a non-gig economy job.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Motronic posted:

No they aren't. They are making minimum wage or so and the rest of that is eaten by taxes, maintenance, fuel and depreciation.

Don’t forget the special insurance endorsement you need for ridesharing or else you’ll have no coverage for your car or yourself in the event of an accident.

Oh what’s that? It costs more?

Buying a car to drive for uber or lyft is a losing proposition. Its similar to the awful lease setups taxi drivers get stuck with because they’re poor and naive.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Don’t forget the special insurance endorsement you need for ridesharing or else you’ll have no coverage for your car or yourself in the event of an accident.

Oh what’s that? It costs more?

Buying a car to drive for uber or lyft is a losing proposition. Its similar to the awful lease setups taxi drivers get stuck with because they’re poor and naive.

This is also an important point. Driving with normal insurance without an endorsement probably means you are driving with zero coverage when the app is OFF, according to the letter of your insurance policy. In practice most drivers will probably lie and say their car is not being used for rideshare if they were to get into an accident with the app off, and in most small/medium claims insurance companies won't investigate further. I guess if the other party or the police mentions your rideshare emblems you'd be screwed.

If you get into an accident with the app on, the rideshare company does provide insurance, but with the app off you have a big gap because most/all policies will mandate the car is not being used for rideshare.

VVVVV Yeah deductible is high at $1k for Uber.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 20, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Something Offal posted:

This is also an important point. Driving with normal insurance without an endorsement probably means you are driving with zero coverage when the app is OFF, according to the letter of your insurance policy. In practice most drivers will probably lie and say their car is not being used for rideshare if they were to get into an accident with the app off, and in most small/medium claims insurance companies won't investigate further. I guess if the other party or the police mentions your rideshare emblems you're probably screwed.

If you get into an accident with the app on, the rideshare company does provide insurance, but with the app off you have a big gap because most/all policies will mandate the car is not being used for rideshare.

IIRC the deductible is also like $2k if you’re driving a passenger. I have seen some very unfortunate people who didn’t read their policies and got hosed when something happened.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
If I come out making minimum wage and have a car that allows me to do everything else I need to do I'm set. I just need some source of income while I look for more work in my field. I'm a good driver, used to drive a taxi but the companies in this town suck rear end (made less than minimum working for them). I just want to be able to work for myself. Better than sitting on my rear end playing apex.

just a kazoo
Mar 7, 2018
I've run the numbers, I can limit the overhead of the car to under $500 a month and with the amount of free time I have I'll make that back and then some no problem.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What rideshare company lets you get fares in an old car? I cant imagine how new you can get for 10k. Like a 2015 kia?

Also you are going to make like 5-10 an hour after all fees/tax/car. If you only drive on friday/saturday nights for bar runs, you can make 10-30 an hour, but theres only so many hours like that in a week, and the fares are going to be drunk, pukey assholes.

That being said, if you give me your zip code I'll pick out a few cars I'd be in your situation.

Also find out what year is the minimum you need for Uber/Lyft in your area. I'm pretty sure in Canada it has to be no more than 3 years old.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Gray Matter posted:

Proposed Budget:
Under 18k

New or Used:
New

Body Style:
4-door, compact to midsize. I am very interested in a hatchback, but sedans will do

Will be used for short commutes, primarily city driving

Luxury vehicle, no. I'd like some of the modern amenities my 2002 shitbox cavalier lacks - adaptive cruise, Bluetooth, touchscreens, backup cam, not being a deathtrap

Reliability, fuel economy, TCO, and safety, in that order.

zipcode 85721
edits made

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

New car under $18k barely gets you into the base model of most compacts and maybe one trim level up on subcompacts. So the Kia Rio/Forte/Soul, Hyundai Accent/Elantra, Chevy Sonic/Cruze, Ford Fiesta.

All of them are going to be reliable enough and safety across the board is decent. You'll probably get bluetooth and a backup camera included, but any sort of adaptive cruise control or newer tech is going to be at least one trim level up.

If you open yourself up to off lease or lightly used cars, you have a lot more options available and would likely be able to get into a decently appointed compact/midsize from any of the major manufacturers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Casu Marzu posted:

You'll probably get bluetooth and a backup camera included,

Fyi, backup cameras are required on all new cars since 2018.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Casu Marzu posted:

All of them are going to be reliable enough and safety across the board is decent. You'll probably get bluetooth and a backup camera included, but any sort of adaptive cruise control or newer tech is going to be at least one trim level up.

Corolla starts at 18.7, some consider it subcompact, however it includes all that stuff.

e: your budget is a bit puzzling because there are no midsize cars that have a starting MSRP lower than your max budget.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 21, 2019

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

Looks like Uber let's you drive pretty much anything these days, unlike 4 years ago when you were handed a list of acceptable cars and told to go gently caress yourself. Beggars can't be choosers, it seems.

I have some friends and acquaintances who drive bootleg taxis, and the popular consensus is always a Prius. You can get pre-2010 model for about $1500 with broken battery cells, that triggers warning lights, which is automatic inspection fail in my state (Pennsylvania). They are stupid cheap to repair, about $40 per cell and not hard to do with basic set of tools and YouTube instructions. Find the cleanest one available and go hog wild.

There actual income numbers are pretty bleak when you do a long term analysis. You're better off delivering pizza, waiting tables or running Amazon packages.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I don't think you can afford new at that price. Your best bet would be the cheapest Corolla you can find, as I believe they are the only base model sold with adaptive cruise. But I still think thats going to be way over your budget when you include tax and freight.

If you don't absolutely require adaptive cruise, you should be able to get a deal for a Hyundai Elantra or Kia Forte that are good cars but just not cutting edge tech wise.

If you open yourself up to used you get a lot more options.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

Used 2018 Corolla for 16k with adapative cruise

2016 Mazda3 hatch (worse car than these others but if you NEED a hatch)

2018 Camry if you need a bigger car. 19k with tons of features. Probably what I'd buy with your budget.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

just a kazoo posted:

Proposed Budget:
Aiming for close to or under $10k

New or Used:
Used, but newer than 2012 or so and with under 90k miles

Body Style:
4-door, I've been leaning towards small cars when I do test drives but planning to use it for rideshare

I'm planning to do ride share in my area to get myself some income as I'm currently underemployed. I'll also be using the vehicle for personal transport for any work I might find that needs transportation.

I don't need luxury but I want a car that is capable of working with my smartphone and have features that will give any passengers comfort but also stand up to the test of time so nothing too fancy.

I want something that is going to hold value and be very dependable over 5-10 years.

I've been told that when you're doing ride share a Prius is the way to go but in my area (Pacific Northwest) they seem to be a bit over priced. I've been leaning towards getting a ~2013 Golf TDI because they are in high supply and I can imagine it standing up to the test of time quite well.

Is there a good ride share thread?

Your budget is hosed. Its too low to even get a decent Corolla, as the 2012 and previous have a poo poo transmission. But here are some ideas.

Prius

2016 Elantra

2015 Forte

If you can drive manual this is a good deal

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Opinions on this? Is it ever wise to buy a salvage title?

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/sierra-vista-2017-mazda-3-hatchback/6815772816.html

Here is the seller's response:

The car from what I gathered from the insurance company was the victim of a jealous woman who found out her other half was
having an affair of some sort.
She bombed the car with paint, knocked off the outside mirrors, jumped up and down on the hood and ice picked all 4 tires.
All has been removed and replaced. The car is currently awaiting the new hood to be paint finished at the body shop which is supposed to be done today.
There is no residual damage. Tires are new, hood is a new OEM, mirror skins were replaced.
The car has around a total 8400 miles total on it.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its a bad idea but if you insist do your own carfax and see what you get back.

Pretty odd for a car to be written off over petty vandalism.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

zapplez posted:

Its a bad idea but if you insist do your own carfax and see what you get back.

Pretty odd for a car to be written off over petty vandalism.

The damage has to exceed the actual cash value of the car or meet a certain state mandated threshold percentage. AZ doesn’t have that threshold so it would be vandalism costs > actual cash value. The vandalism costs would include the savage price which may be pretty high since presumably the mechanicals are fine.

Op: You’d want to see the original estimate for the car damage because 4 tires, 2 mirrors, and a hood are generously $2-3k in damages. There is zero chance the car totals from that. What exactly does bombing it with paint mean? Did the ex put sugar in the tank? Did they piss in the car? Hide a dead fish somewhere? There are a lot of unknowns.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Gray Matter posted:

Opinions on this? Is it ever wise to buy a salvage title?

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/sierra-vista-2017-mazda-3-hatchback/6815772816.html

Here is the seller's response:

The car from what I gathered from the insurance company was the victim of a jealous woman who found out her other half was
having an affair of some sort.
She bombed the car with paint, knocked off the outside mirrors, jumped up and down on the hood and ice picked all 4 tires.
All has been removed and replaced. The car is currently awaiting the new hood to be paint finished at the body shop which is supposed to be done today.
There is no residual damage. Tires are new, hood is a new OEM, mirror skins were replaced.
The car has around a total 8400 miles total on it.

The only way I'd believe that is if you had photos.

Also, you generally cannot get anything other than liability coverage on a salvage car. Fine for a $2k beater, but can you afford to take a $10k hit?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
That's a hilarious story, please see if you can get photos, otherwise I guess you should assume the dealer is a creative liar. Is someone's first thought upon having an SO cheat on them really 'go get paint, pour it on their car, use an ice pick on their tires' or does it seem embellished? I don't know the answer but would like to find out.

e: plus, is repainting, new mirrors, plus a painted hood enough damage for a salvage title on a 2017 Mazda3...? That doesn't seem like $10k worth of repairs. $5k maybe?

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 21, 2019

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
Is the seller someone who bought it as a salvage car from an insurance company, then fixed it up for sale?

Never, ever trust those guys. They will always have a story about how the car ended up totaled because it ran over a pebble and the insurance company went crazy over minor damage. Their entire business is repairing cars that would cost more to fix right than they're worth - they will always cut corners, and they won't face any consequences for lying to you about the car's history as long as they don't cross obvious bright lines like "this car has a non-rebuilt title."

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

Is the seller someone who bought it as a salvage car from an insurance company, then fixed it up for sale?

Never, ever trust those guys. They will always have a story about how the car ended up totaled because it ran over a pebble and the insurance company went crazy over minor damage. Their entire business is repairing cars that would cost more to fix right than they're worth - they will always cut corners, and they won't face any consequences for lying to you about the car's history as long as they don't cross obvious bright lines like "this car has a non-rebuilt title."

I’ve posted this before but a common tactic is to take a turbofucked car, half rear end some repairs, cover up stuff, then take pictures and present those as the “before”’pictures. This is designed to lure people in to thinking the damage wasn’t that bad and that “lol insurance companies are dumb!”

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Just go find another Mazda 3. It's not a 288 GTO.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Just go find another Mazda 3. It's not a 288 GTO.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/540364976392938/

Seeing this one on Saturday, as well as this Elantra

https://www.paramountautos.com/2016-Hyundai-Elantra/Used-Car/Tucson-AZ/12350512/Details.aspx

I'm back to thinking used is the way to go

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 21, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At your price point, used is very much the way to go. The only new cars you can afford are the most stripped down versions of the lowest end cars on the market, and those don't really compare favorably to used cars at the same price (as you're finding).

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

Well after all that I ended up buying this today for 12k after taxes & licensing:

https://www.jimclickhyundaiautomall.com/used/Chevrolet/2015-Chevrolet-Cruze-40c5a0e40a0e0a6b24937299617cd00e.htm

Not the screamingest deal on earth if KBB is to be believed, but I'm pretty pleased with the car.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I currently own a 2009 Ford Ranger Sport 6cyl 2wd. I love it to bits, it's my daily, and it's also my camper. His name is Lenny, i'll fight you if you say naming cars is dumb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmVR6Ta74aE For those who don't feel like watching a video, I got a topper, made a bed and storage in it, I take it for camping trips and like to just hang out in it when I park or after hiking or fishing.

It's a great setup for a single person and a dog, or 2 people who don't mind snuggling a bit. It was great for 2 and 3 day trips around Florida. But now, I have moved to New Jersey to live with my boyfriend. It rules, and we cant wait to go camping. The dog also cant wait to go. But we cant all sleep in the back now, because it's only the size of a full bed. Mulan (the dog) has separation anxiety, and will throw a huge fuss if we try to make her sleep in the cab. So we'll tenting, that's fine.

The real problem is that we need a bigger vehicle, because we want another dog. Mulan rides behind the seat in the cab, but it's tight back there, even with the jump seats removed. We also want a camper. Probably start with a pop-up, but ultimately we would like to part-time digital nomad buzzword buzzword excuse to go camping for 3 months out of the year, so we would probably be upgrading 5 or so years down the line to need 6000lb(ISH) towing capacity.

Within a year or so, I believe we will be looking for a new home for Lenny, and getting a larger vehicle. So, a good daily driver, large enough for two humans, two large dogs, and camping stuff, with at least 3000lb towing capacity. 4wd or AWD is not necessary, but nice to have. I figure my budget will be 20-25k for the vehicle. So, just spit balling, but what do you all think would work best?

I like trucks. I like diesel engines, but also, not necessary. I don't like SUV's very much, but I can see the benefits of one wrt dog capacity. The obvious answer is a used f-150/silverado/Sierra, the 2016's will be coming off lease by then, and competing against the new Ranger coming out, which I personally have high hopes for, and hopefully that will drive prices down. What do you all think?

comedy answer: 1985 Toyota Sunraider

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 24, 2019

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Get a Prius for a daily and an actual RV type vehicle for camping? Why do you need to daily your camper?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Throatwarbler posted:

Get a Prius for a daily and an actual RV type vehicle for camping? Why do you need to daily your camper?

Sorry, should have specified, I will not be using the new vehicle as a camper, only as a tow vehicle. Also, no room in the budget for 3 cars in the family.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The (new)Ranger is a giant expensive POS like everything else these days, and nothing is going to bring prices down except the next recession. Maybe.

I’ve been a diesel guy for 35 years, starting with a 1980 Scout II, but I probably won’t buy another once my old GMC dies. The astronomical additional sticker price of a modern diesel combined with the ridiculous price penalty on the fuel itself and the horrendous repair costs when the EGR system and/or particulate traps poo poo themselves erase any fuel economy savings, and gasoline engines are light-years better in terms of horsepower and economy than they used to be.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suspect Bucket posted:

I currently own a 2009 Ford Ranger Sport 6cyl 2wd. I love it to bits, it's my daily, and it's also my camper. His name is Lenny, i'll fight you if you say naming cars is dumb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmVR6Ta74aE For those who don't feel like watching a video, I got a topper, made a bed and storage in it, I take it for camping trips and like to just hang out in it when I park or after hiking or fishing.

It's a great setup for a single person and a dog, or 2 people who don't mind snuggling a bit. It was great for 2 and 3 day trips around Florida. But now, I have moved to New Jersey to live with my boyfriend. It rules, and we cant wait to go camping. The dog also cant wait to go. But we cant all sleep in the back now, because it's only the size of a full bed. Mulan (the dog) has separation anxiety, and will throw a huge fuss if we try to make her sleep in the cab. So we'll tenting, that's fine.

The real problem is that we need a bigger vehicle, because we want another dog. Mulan rides behind the seat in the cab, but it's tight back there, even with the jump seats removed. We also want a camper. Probably start with a pop-up, but ultimately we would like to part-time digital nomad buzzword buzzword excuse to go camping for 3 months out of the year, so we would probably be upgrading 5 or so years down the line to need 6000lb(ISH) towing capacity.

Within a year or so, I believe we will be looking for a new home for Lenny, and getting a larger vehicle. So, a good daily driver, large enough for two humans, two large dogs, and camping stuff, with at least 3000lb towing capacity. 4wd or AWD is not necessary, but nice to have. I figure my budget will be 20-25k for the vehicle. So, just spit balling, but what do you all think would work best?

I like trucks. I like diesel engines, but also, not necessary. I don't like SUV's very much, but I can see the benefits of one wrt dog capacity. The obvious answer is a used f-150/silverado/Sierra, the 2016's will be coming off lease by then, and competing against the new Ranger coming out, which I personally have high hopes for, and hopefully that will drive prices down. What do you all think?

comedy answer: 1985 Toyota Sunraider

20k$ ford f150 2015 extended cab
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...kType=spotlight

25k$ supercab 2018 ford

23k$ 2017 chevy colorado. supposedly they can tow 7500 lbs

23k$ 2018 silverado v6
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ckType=otherVDP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Proposed Budget: 5-10kish?
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-door, maybe even a wagon?
How will you be using the car?: Beater for getting groceries, taking dog to the park, maybe driving to work on occasion.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Not at this price, but a way to connect my iPhone for Waze would be nice.

I'm looking for something to use as a beater to drive around our neighborhood. I usually take the train to work, so this really just be to use to grab groceries on the occasions that I can't use my wife's car, she's on call/needs the car, etc. Is there anything that'd be better than, say, a used GTI of some sort? Am I missing something obvious? Is a Volvo/Mercedes wagon just asking for trouble at this price point? The budget is somewhat flexible, but there's a part of me that doesn't want to spend a lot of money on something we'll only be using on occasion.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 24, 2019