Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I never bought Civ6 when it came out because everyone was saying it was bad and it's sitting firmly at a low "mixed" on steam but a friend of mine has like 1200 hours and got me to get it on sale so we can play multiplayer.

Civ6 has made me appreciate Paradox more. First of all the base game and DLC at full price are nearly double what Paradox titles sell for despite having identical levels of polish. Since civ4 Firaxis has seemed really anti-modding and the community for mods is absolutely tiny and lovely. For example in the latest DLC they added a mechanic where you need to re-build your nuclear power plants every 10-20 years or they explode like a god drat nuclear bomb. The paradox modding community would have released like 5 different "REALISTIC NUCLEAR POWER" mods that differently tweak this mechanic an hour after the game came out, with Civ6 all you get are endless complaints about various mechanics but no one making mods to change things. Stellaris and Civ6 both have fairly bad AI's but with a game like Civ you really notice that the AI has absolutely no idea how to handle combat, if a city has walls it's practically invincible because the AI doesn't understand how to siege a city.

There's pretty much no developer feedback or interaction, no balance patches stemming out of player feedback, zero sense anyone involved gives a poo poo about anything. Just a big corporate wall and if part of the game sucks or some balance is off neither Firaxis or the modding community will ever fix it. Is this what "AAA" gaming feels like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

QuarkJets posted:

Related, in my first-ever game like a month ago I was in a federation and my partner wanted to declare war on a mutual rival. I didn't pay attention to the cassus belli but was down for my first war experience so I voted for war

After awhile of winning we won the war and our opponent was suddenly gone; we kept the few stations that we had claimed, but the rest of their stations disappeared and their planets reverted to being neutral, and I got the message that they were wiped from the map. But we weren't even close to taking all of their stations or planets

That sounds like your federation partner claimed the home system of a life-seeded empire.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

It is impossible to overstate how important and incredible Civ4 modding was. You're never going to see something like Fall from Heaven for Civ 5 or 6.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Baronjutter posted:

Is this what "AAA" gaming feels like?

For the most part, yes. I buy very few "AAA" games from major publishers. Most of my gaming is either actual indie or "indie" publishers like Paradox and Atlus (I'm aware Atlus is owned by Sega but they still act more like a niche publisher).

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Baronjutter posted:

There's pretty much no developer feedback or interaction, no balance patches stemming out of player feedback, zero sense anyone involved gives a poo poo about anything. Just a big corporate wall and if part of the game sucks or some balance is off neither Firaxis or the modding community will ever fix it. Is this what "AAA" gaming feels like?

As much as AAA companies have bad practices, this is really a Firaxis thing and they're worst about it by far. Few other devs do absolutely zero communication with the community, and even fewer do the Firaxis thing where their only media presence is press releases and obviously staged interviews.

Civ6, by the way, really drove it home for me how bad the gaming press is when it comes to strategy games. Rave reviews all around.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

Yep.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Baronjutter posted:

Yup, big companies are all about the money. The current view of mods is that they take away sales from your next title or a DLC pack you could make. If you give dev feedback by "picking a side" you get negative feedback. If you throw balance patches you get negative feedback. So instead balance patches are normally reserved to a few times a year and make sweeping changes to everything that usually results in a new meta with something new being overpowered.

That or you get power creep where the weakest thing is buffed and no nerfs and you end up reaching the max value of variables after 10 years of that.

But it's not just that, Unity, and other game making software, has really lowered the bar for entry into game development. So more people are just making their own thing instead of modding. A game that does something unique and isn't a sterile wasteland is going to get people thinking "well I could bolt this on" and when the devs embrace modding, you get even more of that.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

wiegieman posted:

It is impossible to overstate how important and incredible Civ4 modding was. You're never going to see something like Fall from Heaven for Civ 5 or 6.

Still play ffh2 every week or two.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

wiegieman posted:

yeah pretty much the entire civ4 engine was exposed in simple python scripts for modders to abuse, and it was amazing.

i got civ5 in a random bundle i think and i'm not sure i'll ever bother installing it when 4 still exists. also best catchy menu music etc

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
there's a guy still updating a branch of ffh2 (last release was 2/1)

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/magistermodmod.455111/

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

binge crotching posted:

Still play ffh2 every week or two.

I have an illians game and a calabim game going right now, I'm never going to the other civs.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I've been playing the 2.2.5 beta branch so far every now and then because yay robots, but any special reason why performance drops so fast compared to 2.2.4?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

wiegieman posted:

There's a Caveman2Cosmos-like mod for 5, but it's pretty buggy. It's only 6 which is really closed to modding.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

ZypherIM posted:

The little bird icon on the race is the game start screen has a toggle for "always spawn", "never spawn", or "randomly spawn". If you've got more set to always spawn than empires I think they have even weight, but not completely sure.

I know. I've got them all on randomly spawn. I've only got about 20 in all but I really barely see them.
There was a small time when my Mushroom based Exterminators popped up quite a lot but that was it. It's really unusual and kind of a shame. I don't want to set stuff to always spawn because I'd just like to see it sometimes and also be surprised by what I see.

Only one has a custom system though.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

dogstile posted:

I won my first war this morning. Early game corvette spam against the filthy xeno scum (can't guess what i'm playing as). They had taken a system I wanted (it was a chokepoint). Rushed the station, took it for my own, then sat on it.

While doing so I had to bring in my reinforcements who were supposed to be patrolling the trade route. Whoops, lost a station to pirates. Now the war is over, i've gotta go deal with some pirates and some cultists.

War in this game is fun, feels like i'm actually fighting for important land. Now, for a pertinent question. I'm playing as xenophobes, if I create a vassal in a place that I don't want to govern (because the planets are awful and I don't want to govern lovely planets) will my race care about the new faction being "outsiders"?

Your people will be fine with the xenos firmly under your boot as vassals/tributaries.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Taear posted:

I know. I've got them all on randomly spawn. I've only got about 20 in all but I really barely see them.
There was a small time when my Mushroom based Exterminators popped up quite a lot but that was it. It's really unusual and kind of a shame. I don't want to set stuff to always spawn because I'd just like to see it sometimes and also be surprised by what I see.
If they are not forced to spawn they only have a small chance that they will show up in a game; the game gets populated by mostly randomly generated species. If you force more customs to spawn than can, then a random selection of the forced to spawn will spawn, and no randomly generated species will spawn. You could always add a ton of customs or use a mod that adds a lot and force alllll of them to spawn so that way you have a better chance of seeing the custom ones that you really want to see. Like...if you have 30 being forced to spawn and 20 in a game, you will get 20 pre-generated species from that lump of 30, so you have a 2/3 chance of seeing each one (essentially), which is way more likely than having them on "may" spawn in a game where it is generating randos.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

If they are not forced to spawn they only have a small chance that they will show up in a game; the game gets populated by mostly randomly generated species. If you force more customs to spawn than can, then a random selection of the forced to spawn will spawn, and no randomly generated species will spawn. You could always add a ton of customs or use a mod that adds a lot and force alllll of them to spawn so that way you have a better chance of seeing the custom ones that you really want to see. Like...if you have 30 being forced to spawn and 20 in a game, you will get 20 pre-generated species from that lump of 30, so you have a 2/3 chance of seeing each one (essentially), which is way more likely than having them on "may" spawn in a game where it is generating randos.

I know, like that's directly how the game explains it. But what I want is like....maybe one of them to spawn every time, but randomly so I don't know who will turn up. And it'd be nice to know why in multiplayer games the rules seem to be different and I get a bunch of my own empires there.
I'd like to be able to set a slider like someone else mentioned, that'd be nice. Maybe 10% of the species of the galaxy being a guaranteed "one of mine" and the rest being random.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Agree that the spawn rate for custom empires is way too low. I think I’ve seen it happen like 2-3 times ever.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Agree that the spawn rate for custom empires is way too low. I think I’ve seen it happen like 2-3 times ever.

With my exterminators I'd say I've seen them in maybe 40% of my games, which is loads.
With everyone else I've seen two of them ever.

Maybe the game spawns a Blood Court and randomly rolls to see if it's one of a smaller pool of available ones so that's why mine got chosen? Who knows. Other than maybe Darkrenown or Mune.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Can this be implemented with a mod?

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
So I encountered another bug (?).

I was at war with a Devouring Swarm and captured a bunch of planets they had only recently settled, so they were all like ... two pops each. Those were getting auto-purged since they were drones.

So all enemy pops died before one of mine could finish growing and the planet reverted to unsettled. Fine, whatever.

However, now each time I drop a colony ship on these worlds, the two pops coming out of them are of the 'Leader' social class and won't actually take any of the jobs in the Converted Ship shelter type admin build a colony starts with, so no amenities come out of that building, everyone is unhappy and unrest goes up. It's very strange. I just kind of ignored it the first time, by the time 5 regular pops had grown/migrated and I got a building slot, I built a Numistic Shrine so those original two pops could have some leader jobs which incidentally produce amenities since they took the merchant jobs rather than the priest jobs of the shrine :effort:

First I thought it happened on a planet with a lot of pre-existing districts which I think used to be another empire's capital before the Swarm captured it and purged everyone, but no, it also happens on planets that basically just had the colony shelter and 2 drone pops before I put boots on the ground, purged the drones and the planet reverted to unowned.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I was having a lot of fun building up a new empire. Using the enhanced AI and planet modifier mods to give the game a different feel after resetting a bunch due to sector fuckery.

And now my robots have full citizenship rights all of a sudden.

Not synths, robots. I don't even have droids (which is ruining my energy economy). I can't set them to servitude because I don't have the policy "Synthetic Citizen Rights."

What the heck? How did this happen and how do I fix it?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I never bought Civ6 when it came out because everyone was saying it was bad and it's sitting firmly at a low "mixed" on steam but a friend of mine has like 1200 hours and got me to get it on sale so we can play multiplayer.

Civ6 has made me appreciate Paradox more. First of all the base game and DLC at full price are nearly double what Paradox titles sell for despite having identical levels of polish. Since civ4 Firaxis has seemed really anti-modding and the community for mods is absolutely tiny and lovely. For example in the latest DLC they added a mechanic where you need to re-build your nuclear power plants every 10-20 years or they explode like a god drat nuclear bomb. The paradox modding community would have released like 5 different "REALISTIC NUCLEAR POWER" mods that differently tweak this mechanic an hour after the game came out, with Civ6 all you get are endless complaints about various mechanics but no one making mods to change things. Stellaris and Civ6 both have fairly bad AI's but with a game like Civ you really notice that the AI has absolutely no idea how to handle combat, if a city has walls it's practically invincible because the AI doesn't understand how to siege a city.

Civ 6 was the last AAA game I ever bought. I tried playing it again a few months ago, and it still had all the same stupid problems that it did when it came out over two years ago. They know they don't have to make a great game or fix bad poo poo after release because they know that people will buy it in droves and give it rave reviews just because of the name on the box. It's disgusting.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
With the new Civ 6 expansion, Firaxis finally realized that the way Civ 6 handled production overflow with percentage bonuses was dumb, and incentivized you to micro for maximum overflow. Did they go back to how it worked in 4, i.e. dividing the overflow by the production modifier, which was a perfectly fine and intuitive system? No, they made it so any overflow due to production bonuses disappears. E.g. if you need 30 hammers to finish a swordsman, and have a +50% bonus from a policy, doing a forest chop that gives you 30 base hammers would finish the build with 0 overflow. Same if you needed between 31 and 45 hammers. If you need 25 hammers you'd finish with 5 overflow. So basically you lose hammers whenever you finish a build with a production bonus, so now you should micro to minimize overflow or you'll lose hammers. You can lose pretty decent chunks with each forest/resource harvested if you're not careful.

How the system works isn't explained anywhere, of course.

The lack of polish on Civ 6 is just hilarious, honestly. Maybe they'll actually fix the production system soon, but it took them two expansions to add production queues (even though wonder fail gold only worked if you had something queued, there was literally a gameplay mechanism that relied on unimplemented build queues), so I'm not optimistic.

The Stellaris 2.2 launch was pretty badly executed but looking at Civ I'm really glad Paradox does regular patches and bothers to communicate with players.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, I completely gave up on the Civilization franchise after the dumpster fire that was Beyond Earth (all you had to do was remake SMAC in a modern engine, smdh), although the writing had been on the wall since Civ 5.

Paradox is a thousand times more responsive than Firaxis, and aren't afraid to ignore/tell off people with terrible ideas either, and their games are much better for it.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dear paradox I have bought all your eu4 dlc and all your ck2 dlc and all your stellaris dlc and even hoi4!! which I don't play. Thanks for not being another trash studio like the rest. keep making these dumb games :tipshat:

I will say I have doubts about rome though, good luck with that one

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Staltran posted:

The Stellaris 2.2 launch was pretty badly executed but looking at Civ I'm really glad Paradox does regular patches and bothers to communicate with players.

This is the key for me. Paradox doesn’t always get it right on the first try but their post-launch support is great. I trust that they are going to at least try to fix stuff that is broken or not fun and that they will usually manage to do so.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I really want to appreciate Paradox more but the Facebook marketing for Stellaris is... real geared towards genocidal tendencies and pepe guys, so it's really difficult for me to recommend to anyone

I mean I'm still gonna play it and ignore posts about degeneracy from official Stellaris, but big oof here chiefo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Considering everyone seems to be really into being a genocidal maniac, they're probably just doing what people already seem to like.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I realize that I may be an idiot and have a pretty suboptimal race here:

Does The Authoritarian bonus apply to robots? Also if I am heavily invested in Robots, should I bother being Thrifty (since they will eventually likely take over some Clerk jobs)? Would Adaptive be a better pick than Thrifty since Adaptive essentially means 10% less CG, Amenity, and food use which is a net improvement/bigger bonus?

edit: In other news, I am fed up with the Fanatics event chain that throws several high powered fleets at you starting in 2201. Does anyone know what it is called so I can delete it?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 22, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Take ingenious instead of thrifty if you're going hard into robots.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I realize that I may be an idiot and have a pretty suboptimal race here:

Does The Authoritarian bonus apply to robots? Also if I am heavily invested in Robots, should I bother being Thrifty (since they will eventually likely take over some Clerk jobs)? Would Adaptive be a better pick than Thrifty since Adaptive essentially means 10% less CG, Amenity, and food use which is a net improvement/bigger bonus?

I haven't tested it recently, but authoritarian is a bonus to the worker job so it should effect them while they're working in the mines/fields (and eventually generators). Thrifty I'd say to take away, less because robots will eventually get clerk jobs and more because lacking any good +trade jobs means your trade income is going to be really small (merchant guilds and some sort of xenophile is sort of needed for non-megacorp trade setups IMO).

Rapid breeders is also not really worth it, because you're getting a 10% growth increase to 60% of your population growth (robots make up 2/5 of your base growth, and don't benefit from that trait). If you plan on getting more races it is even less worth it, because every time you're not growing your main race you aren't benefiting from it.

I'd say the biggest thing you should do is get charismatic and not repugnant, as you tend to get a lot of your amenity output from a small number of jobs that you can ensure are staffed by your main dudes. This translates into needing less jobs producing amenities or a bigger benefit (production bonus) from the same number of jobs.

Adaptive isn't that great either I think, because by starting with robots you can turn low hab% places into mostly raw resource producing places and ship your organics back to big tech/forge worlds. I'd consider maybe taking leader traits as well.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Take ingenious instead of thrifty if you're going hard into robots.
I wouldnt say I'm going hard but I guess starting with Mechanist does indicate I am, uh, leaning that way...
You think it is worth it even if the robots will eventually be working the Generator farms?

I probably should have added more info.....I intend to slave any organics that are not my species. I know I asked for advice and its not gracious to be negative about feedback about that advice, but it sounds like you're saying I should make a completely different race...

ZypherIM posted:

I haven't tested it recently, but authoritarian is a bonus to the worker job so it should effect them while they're working in the mines/fields (and eventually generators).
Sweet.

ZypherIM posted:

Thrifty I'd say to take away, less because robots will eventually get clerk jobs and more because lacking any good +trade jobs means your trade income is going to be really small (merchant guilds and some sort of xenophile is sort of needed for non-megacorp trade setups IMO).
When I've used/tested similar set ups where I had Thrifty and then later took it away, I definitely noticed the drop in trade value. You are right that it would be more useful if I had something that created Merchant jobs, but you get them eventually via Prosperity, every planet has Clerks, and I often end up building the Trade Complexes on my planets to give my zounds of people some work.

ZypherIM posted:

Rapid breeders is also not really worth it, because you're getting a 10% growth increase to 60% of your population growth (robots make up 2/5 of your base growth, and don't benefit from that trait). If you plan on getting more races it is even less worth it, because every time you're not growing your main race you aren't benefiting from it.
I hate having other species so that inst a factor. I dont think comparing my organics growing faster to the fact that I also have robits makes sense, but it could be the beer talking. The way I look at it, my organics grow 10% faster and more growth is good.

ZypherIM posted:

I'd say the biggest thing you should do is get charismatic and not repugnant, as you tend to get a lot of your amenity output from a small number of jobs that you can ensure are staffed by your main dudes. This translates into needing less jobs producing amenities or a bigger benefit (production bonus) from the same number of jobs.
I never ever have problems having enough amenities, though I guess maybe I am playing super suboptimally? The Admin Complex via Byzantine Bureaucracy produces Amenities and I usually find the space for Entertainers producing Amenities also. And as stated before I usually run at least one Trade Complex on my worlds, too. Since I tend to produce so many amenities and like to enslave non main species and set them to Domestic Servitude, Amenities are not a problem, especially because robots often end up working some Clerk jobs in the long run. Also, with Byzantine Bureaucracy my pops use 10% less and I think Harmony gives you another 10%.

ZypherIM posted:

Adaptive isn't that great either I think, because by starting with robots you can turn low hab% places into mostly raw resource producing places and ship your organics back to big tech/forge worlds. I'd consider maybe taking leader traits as well.
As stated in my original post, I think its good because it reduces food, amenities, and CG used so I can run more of my main species on non-homeworld worlds and thus need fewer pops generating those resources.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Thrifty later on is decent, but you do get 2 trait points during the course of play for non-genetic ascension so you can always get it later when it'll have a big impact (leave a trait slot open).

If you're doing domestic servants those produce amenities, so yea if you have a bunch of them pumping out more amenities you don't need to worry about charismatic. It isn't that you're playing suboptimally, but that you're generating a bunch of them from a non-standard source so getting less from your main race isn't a huge issue. You will take a production hit until you get other races enslaved relatively though (try starting up a game with charismatic and compare your stability).

More growth is good, but what I mean is that you're paying 2 trait points for a fairly small percentage increase (since you're running robots). Like if you're a normal empire, your growth goes from 3->3.3, an increase of 10%. As a mechanist empire, your growth goes from 5->5.3, an increase of 6%. Other traits will keep their full value though, so are a bit better, especially if you use low hab% planets as mainly robot run resource worlds and ship your organics to high hab% worlds for big tech/forge/etc places.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I completely gave up on the Civilization franchise after the dumpster fire that was Beyond Earth (all you had to do was remake SMAC in a modern engine, smdh), although the writing had been on the wall since Civ 5.

Civ5 really was a turning point for the worse for them. The switch to one unit per tile broke a dozen game systems, and their attempts to bandaid the problems made that game loving irritating to play. I just looked at the Civ6 thread and apparently, three games later (Civ5, BE, Civ6) the AI still can't conquer cities with city walls unless you delete all your units and leave your computer with a paperweight on the end turn button for an hour or two. loving pathetic, especially considering the resources they have.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Psykmoe posted:

So I encountered another bug (?).

I was at war with a Devouring Swarm and captured a bunch of planets they had only recently settled, so they were all like ... two pops each. Those were getting auto-purged since they were drones.

So all enemy pops died before one of mine could finish growing and the planet reverted to unsettled. Fine, whatever.

However, now each time I drop a colony ship on these worlds, the two pops coming out of them are of the 'Leader' social class and won't actually take any of the jobs in the Converted Ship shelter type admin build a colony starts with, so no amenities come out of that building, everyone is unhappy and unrest goes up. It's very strange. I just kind of ignored it the first time, by the time 5 regular pops had grown/migrated and I got a building slot, I built a Numistic Shrine so those original two pops could have some leader jobs which incidentally produce amenities since they took the merchant jobs rather than the priest jobs of the shrine :effort:

First I thought it happened on a planet with a lot of pre-existing districts which I think used to be another empire's capital before the Swarm captured it and purged everyone, but no, it also happens on planets that basically just had the colony shelter and 2 drone pops before I put boots on the ground, purged the drones and the planet reverted to unowned.

It's an issue any time there is an existing tier 2+ colony building on a planet when you settle it. When the planet gets settled, the leader jobs exist. Your initial two pops get put into those jobs. The existing colony building is then deleted and replaced with the tier 1 basic colony shelter, which doesn't have any leader jobs. Your pops are now unemployed leaders.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I really liked Civ 5 but Civ 6 was a total shitshow and it's hard to stress just how bad it was when I played it like twelve months ago.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

Thrifty later on is decent, but you do get 2 trait points during the course of play for non-genetic ascension so you can always get it later when it'll have a big impact (leave a trait slot open).

If you're doing domestic servants those produce amenities, so yea if you have a bunch of them pumping out more amenities you don't need to worry about charismatic. It isn't that you're playing suboptimally, but that you're generating a bunch of them from a non-standard source so getting less from your main race isn't a huge issue. You will take a production hit until you get other races enslaved relatively though (try starting up a game with charismatic and compare your stability).

More growth is good, but what I mean is that you're paying 2 trait points for a fairly small percentage increase (since you're running robots). Like if you're a normal empire, your growth goes from 3->3.3, an increase of 10%. As a mechanist empire, your growth goes from 5->5.3, an increase of 6%. Other traits will keep their full value though, so are a bit better, especially if you use low hab% planets as mainly robot run resource worlds and ship your organics to high hab% worlds for big tech/forge/etc places.
Ah yeah, all of that makes sense. I will be starting a lot of games as I try to make that orbital deposits mod that I am trying to do as a pet project so I will try out the Charismatic thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Civ5 really was a turning point for the worse for them. The switch to one unit per tile broke a dozen game systems, and their attempts to bandaid the problems made that game loving irritating to play. I just looked at the Civ6 thread and apparently, three games later (Civ5, BE, Civ6) the AI still can't conquer cities with city walls unless you delete all your units and leave your computer with a paperweight on the end turn button for an hour or two. loving pathetic, especially considering the resources they have.

Yeah 1UPT was a mistake. Not because it's inherently bad, I need think it was actually a good move, but they needed way more tiles per map to give you any room to maneouvre at all. And then the tile yields were so low you were better off packing in cities ICS style, which only made things worse. The fact that they never bothered to fix it is insane.

Again, tip of that hat to the Paradox crew for remaking Stellaris twice over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

dogstile posted:

Considering everyone seems to be really into being a genocidal maniac, they're probably just doing what people already seem to like.

I pretty much live in the Rimworld thread, and warcrimes seem to be a common thread among strategy game enthusiasts. I don't get it personally. I was never cruel to my Sims.