Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

You were 4 lol you don’t remember anything about it

4-5 is kinda where my childhood memories go from incoherent scattered images to coherent Things That Happened, and I remember Titanic creating drama amongst my parents' friends because some loved it to an incomprehensible degree and others hated it and they pretty much drew battle lines.

It kind of sticks in my mind, honestly, because I just really wanted to watch the movie about the huge boat sinking and didn't get why all the adults were fighting over it. Until my parents (who were both on the hate side) rented it for me and I found out that it was a romance movie that had maybe 30 minutes of a huge boat sinking, which made my opinion as a small child... pretty easy to discern, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

teagone posted:

Terminator 2 came out in 1991. Shame on all of you.

[edit] Not one mention of Demolition Man either. The gently caress dudes.

T2 was mentioned by two different people on this page though?

e: dammit, on the previous page

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Water World and The Postman were (failed) 90s sci-fi. I haven’t watched either of them recently so I have no idea how they hold up.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Brother Entropy posted:

T2 was mentioned by two different people on this page though?

e: dammit, on the previous page

It should be mentioned by everyone.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think Titanic might have basically been the definition of 'chick flick' for a while. It's a big indulgent tragic romance and all.

I think Pearl Harbour was an attempt to recreate that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

4-5 is kinda where my childhood memories go from incoherent scattered images to coherent Things That Happened, and I remember Titanic creating drama amongst my parents' friends because some loved it to an incomprehensible degree and others hated it and they pretty much drew battle lines.

It kind of sticks in my mind, honestly, because I just really wanted to watch the movie about the huge boat sinking and didn't get why all the adults were fighting over it. Until my parents (who were both on the hate side) rented it for me and I found out that it was a romance movie that had maybe 30 minutes of a huge boat sinking, which made my opinion as a small child... pretty easy to discern, I think.

The boat was sinking for over an hour in it. He originally cut it to sink for around half the time the actual ship sank.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it's basically the first half of the film was the romance and the second half was the epic boat sink. I used to just play the second VHS tape because it started right at the iceberg.

It's possible to consider that ones memories of the cultural zeitgeist at age 5 might be somewhat unreliable.

Edit: Which isn't to say that there wasn't a backlash. I was at the perfect edgy shithead age that had all kind of dumbass opinions about it at the time. But it was mostly akin to the same backlash we always see towards something popular.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 21, 2019

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

My favourite Captain Marvel review is the one that says it stumbles in a few spots but only because it’s so incredibly ambitious.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mr. Apollo posted:

My favourite Captain Marvel review is the one that says it stumbles in a few spots but only because it’s so incredibly ambitious.
(timestamped for relevancy)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9hwGZFPSmw&t=1522s

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Darko posted:

Teenage guys and young adult males refused to entertain the movie on principle and were bashing it sight unseen because they were trying to be cool.

we called it a chick flick and we only grudgingly saw them when our girlfriends insisted.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Titanic was basically the only movie anyone ever talked about in fourth and fifth grade. Independence day and MIB maybe got a week or two.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Titanic came out when I was in 5th grade I think. All the girls in my class liked it, and I liked it too. All my buds thought I was a loser for liking it, but I was able to talk to the girls about the movie. Big brain.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do like the idea that Titanic's basically a cinematic epic of a genre that was thought extinct decades ago, a melodramatic romantic tragedy built around a historical setpiece. The kind of throwback that does so well because there's nothing else like it at the time. Especially since it feels like a lot of media had become empty, shallow and/or cynical even more 9/11 made it all get incredibly mean-spirited.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do like the idea that Titanic's basically a cinematic epic of a genre that was thought extinct decades ago, a melodramatic romantic tragedy built around a historical setpiece. The kind of throwback that does so well because there's nothing else like it at the time. Especially since it feels like a lot of media had become empty, shallow and/or cynical even more 9/11 made it all get incredibly mean-spirited.

You had Pearl Harbor, which was almost the exact same formula (lovely love story with a spectacular, almost completely unrelated back half). And it was just on that other side of the line of 9/11. In fact, in the commentary for one of the DVD editions, Michael Bay explains that they're sitting down about 15 hours after the attacks occured.

porfiria posted:

The Matrix is 1999 and although the existential/alienation themes are pretty 90s, the po-faced violence against ambiguous authoritarian forces is very 9/11.

That violence is very post 9/11. For a couple of years every action movie was giving, awkward, fawning oral sex to the vague concept of uniformed authority.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

Alita seems to be doing pretty good at the box office :unsmith:

It already beat Ghost In The Shell's total domestic box office after just five days so it looks like the Live Action Anime curse has been lifted

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It already beat Ghost In The Shell's total domestic box office after just five days so it looks like the Live Action Anime curse has been lifted

Sweet, just in time for the Legendary Gundam movie.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

quick, someone green light an Evangelion live action movie before everyone realizes that it would make negative dollars even if it were the greatest blockbuster of all time

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Make a JoJo movie u cowards

E: western cowards

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 21, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just wait until Detective Pikachu makes a billion dollars, live action anime will be the next movie bubble after superheroes :ssh:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Just wait until Detective Pikachu makes a billion dollars, live action anime will be the next movie bubble after superheroes :ssh:

that's based off a video game though, it has nothing to do with the Pokemon anime

although "blockbuster success video game adaptation" is just as rare as "blockbuster success anime adaptation" so yeah

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DC Murderverse posted:

that's based off a video game though, it has nothing to do with the Pokemon anime

although "blockbuster success video game adaptation" is just as rare as "blockbuster success anime adaptation" so yeah

Box Office Mojo have a page for video game movie adaptations and the top four box office hits are apparently Tomb Raider (2001), Angry Birds, Rampage and Prince of Persia which is a pretty :whitewater: list.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Box Office Mojo have a page for video game movie adaptations and the top four box office hits are apparently Tomb Raider (2001), Angry Birds, Rampage and Prince of Persia which is a pretty :whitewater: list.

Rampage is great.

Pokemon could probably be counted as both, given the anime's a huge part of the franchise's success especially in the West, and a lot of the franchise's well-known traits and the iconic quirks of individual Pokemon are taken right from it. (not to mention both back in the day with Yellow and recently with Pokemon Let's Go, the games have more closely adapted the anime specifically to take advantage of that crossover appeal)

And a NGE movie could do well if played right. Somewhere between kaiju and psychological horror.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new anime movie boom to go part and parcel with the 90s nostalgia kick we're in, since people who grew up with anime are now producing media or deciding what media gets produced. The latest generation of cartoons are often taking lots of unsubtle inspiration from 90s anime and not just indulgent references but in structure, themes and aesthetics. Between Alita's apparent success, Detective Pikachu's likely success, and Dragon Ball Super: Broly taking box offices by complete surprise, a lot of producers are probably going to be taking another look at these Japanimations and seeing if there's any more money to be made from them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

adjusted for inflation the top three are Tomb Raider, Pokemon and Mortal Kombat which sounds more right, i think those are the only three on that list that are unqualified hits. Angry Birds is pushing it and after that you get to Prince of Persia, Rampage and the sequels to the the top three which were all dire in comparison\

edit: and the Resident Evil movies, which after the first one didn't really bring people in because of the games but because of the film universe.

2nd edit for a fun thing I noticed: when adjusted for inflation, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat: Annihilation made roughly the same amount of money, but MK:A had almost twice the opening weekend gross. In fact, Street Fighter almost makes the top 10 (out of 40!!!) video game to movie adaptations, which means that it was more successful than stuff like Assassin's Creed, Doom, all but one Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Max Payne, Warcraft, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within and that new Tomb Raider.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rampage is great.

Pokemon could probably be counted as both, given the anime's a huge part of the franchise's success especially in the West, and a lot of the franchise's well-known traits and the iconic quirks of individual Pokemon are taken right from it. (not to mention both back in the day with Yellow and recently with Pokemon Let's Go, the games have more closely adapted the anime specifically to take advantage of that crossover appeal)

And a NGE movie could do well if played right. Somewhere between kaiju and psychological horror.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new anime movie boom to go part and parcel with the 90s nostalgia kick we're in, since people who grew up with anime are now producing media or deciding what media gets produced. The latest generation of cartoons are often taking lots of unsubtle inspiration from 90s anime and not just indulgent references but in structure, themes and aesthetics. Between Alita's apparent success, Detective Pikachu's likely success, and Dragon Ball Super: Broly taking box offices by complete surprise, a lot of producers are probably going to be taking another look at these Japanimations and seeing if there's any more money to be made from them.

I'm aware that the Pokemon anime is a big deal but the movie is very specifically *not* the anime. Like, it's based off of a very specific game, there's basically no connection to it other than the same set of Pokemon and Pikachu as a primary focus. The anime's success has always been pretty dependent on the games IMO. If Detective Pikachu is successful it's because the games have maintained a presence through the years with stuff like Pokemon Go and the constant stream of new games that Nintendo puts out. I would also hesitate to call Alita a success yet. It's definitely not a failure and there's a possibility that it over performs in Japan and China and warrants a sequel but no one is looking at the numbers it's pulling and saying "yes we need to make movies like this". Dragon Ball, on the other hand, i have no idea how that happened and I could absolutely see someone trying to reverse engineer that for another hit. Honestly, we're about due for a Hollywood production of Dragon Ball that isn't a total loving embarrassment.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 21, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

quick, someone green light an Evangelion live action movie before everyone realizes that it would make negative dollars even if it were the greatest blockbuster of all time

if loving Battle Angel Alita, a series in which, at one point, a trans man cloned from the protagonist thumb-wrestles a karate Predator so hard that it kills several bystanders, is a Legit Blockbuster then I am fairly sure loving anything is on the table.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DC Murderverse posted:

I would also hesitate to call Alita a success yet. It's definitely not a failure and there's a possibility that it over performs in Japan and China and warrants a sequel but no one is looking at the numbers it's pulling and saying "yes we need to make movies like this".

Yeah we really have to wait a few weeks to see how it pans out, opening weekend numbers are a pretty poor indicator of a film's overall success these days. Some recent films that had a similar opening struggled to reach $50m and some went sailing past $100m.

DC Murderverse posted:

adjusted for inflation the top three are Tomb Raider, Pokemon and Mortal Kombat which sounds more right, i think those are the only three on that list that are unqualified hits.

That in itself is pretty bad because those films are all 18 to 24 years old. It's not like the video game industry has slowed down any since then either, or like Hollywood has stopped trying to cash in on their popularity: there's been over 30 movies based on video games since the original Tomb Raider.

DC Murderverse posted:

Apparently the people at Weta have been dying to make a NGE film for years and years and already have a bunch of pre-prod art and poo poo ready to go whenever someone finally makes the decision.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I feel like Rampage was undersold as a 'black' movie. Not only were the protagonists black (and scientists) and the antagonists white rich capitalists, the hero cured his gorilla friend by literally making him 'eat the rich'.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

That in itself is pretty bad because those films are all 18 to 24 years old. It's not like the video game industry has slowed down any since then either, or like Hollywood has stopped trying to cash in on their popularity: there's been over 30 movies based on video games since the original Tomb Raider.

i should point out that those are based on domestic numbers. As it turns out, if you add in worldwide numbers, that list looks way different.

Like, Warcraft, which does not make the top 20 highest grossing video game adaptations when you just count US money, is the highest grossing video game adaptation ever when you add in money from overseas. Seriously, it made just under 11% of it's total haul here in the US, and that's not even the lowest domestic/worldwide ratio, because the last Resident Evil movie had a full 91.5% of its gross from not-us. The list is wildly different when you change that little bit:

Domestic Top 10, when accounting for inflation:
1. Tomb Raider (2001)
2. Pokemon: The First Movie
3. Mortal Kombat
4. Angry Birds
5. Prince of Persia
6. Tomb Raider 2
7. Rampage
8. Resident Evil 2
9. Pokemon 2
10. Mortal Kombat 2

Worldwide Top 10, when accounting for inflation (% of domestic gross included for reference):
1. Warcraft (10.9%)
2. Tomb Raider (2001) (47.7%)
3. Rampage (23.6%)
4. Prince of Persia (27%)
5. Angry Birds (30.5%)
6. Resident Evil 4 (20%)
7. Resident Evil 6 (8.5%)
8. Pokemon: The First Movie (52.4%)
9. Resident Evil 5 (17.6%)
10. Tomb Raider (2018) (21.2%)

edit: i think it should be pointed out that Warcraft, the highest movie on this list, still only made about $433 million, which sounds like a lot until you compare it to other movies, where it will not be in the top 250 by the end of March 2019 (assuming Captain Marvel doesn't completely bomb, which i think would be nearly impossible). To be perfectly frank, there has never been a true "blockbuster" video game adaptation. Warcraft was barely a top 20 movie in 2016 (worldwide, it was #70 in domestic gross), Tomb Raider was 15th highest in 2001. I dunno what the lesson from all of this is, except probably "don't ever make a movie based on a video game unless you're gonna market it to a worldwide audience and not spend a whole lot on it". And Detective Pikachu is gonna be the exception to that rule because Pokemon is a bigger phenomenon than any other video game they've made a movie about (with the possible exception of Super Mario Brothers, which was such a catastrophe on so many levels that it's really not worth looking at it from a business perspective)

fun fact: if Detective Pikachu earns money at half of the rate of Black Panther, it would take 12 days for it to overtake Tomb Raider for the highest grossing video game adaptation ever domestically. Then, if it continued on that pace for 5 more days, it would overtake Warcraft for the worldwide title. I don't think "half of what Black Panther made" is a hard target to hit, that would be top 5 for the year domestically but just top 10 worldwide, and I feel like top 10 for the year is a reasonable goal for Detective Pikachu.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Feb 21, 2019

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

American Akira sounds about right for our current hellworld.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

wyoming posted:

American Akira sounds about right for our current hellworld.

I'm super bummed that Jordan Peele didn't make this, though what he is making is gonna be dope also. I think Akira has to be close to next on the list, now that GitS and Alita have come out, unless someone really wants to try another big budget American shonen movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Marc Webb is directing the American version of Your Name.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The producer of the Harry Potter movies is spearheading the big budget adaptation of Attack on Titan for Warner Bros, so that's likely the next one we'll be seeing. Last I read, the director of the It remake is slated to direct the first of what I'm assuming will be a series of films if they'll be following the Harry Potter model, i.e., cast 3 young leads to be Eren, Mikasa, and Armin and follow them through the story.

[edit]

The MSJ posted:

Oh poo poo, that's news to me and got me excited.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ posted:

this could be good. I like Marc Webb, and if they throw all of the work they currently have done into a big deep hole with a fire at the bottom and start over anew without using terrible Native American stereotypes i could see it working.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

this could be good. I like Marc Webb, and if they throw all of the work they currently have done into a big deep hole with a fire at the bottom and start over anew without using terrible Native American stereotypes i could see it working.

Yeah I looked up that's it's a remake changing the setting to Chicago and a Native American countryside. Wat. My excitement dropped lol.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

alright you guys want to see something dope? This is a little bit of the design work WETA did for NGE back in the day when they were gonna work on the live-action adaptation. It's about 15 years old at this point and I'm sure that no one who was involved in that is around any more but there are some really cool ideas in here. And the jawline on EVA-01 is perfect. I think with the way effects are now, you could do some truly awe-inspiring poo poo with the Angels. Sure you might have to rename Asuka to "Kate Rose" but nothing's perfect. (no one hires WETA to design characters anyways. Big wrecked cities, sure. Giant monsters, obviously. But human women, leave that to someone else maybe.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I've never seen Titanic. Everyone always talks about it and I'm like I've basically seen the whole movie by this point.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Super Mario Bros is still the best video game adaptation. Max Payne was slightly interesting

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If anime adaptations are the next big thing, I look forward to the bidding war between HBO and Netflix to make the live action Legend Of The Galactic Heroes series.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
A live-action adaptation of Genocyber.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gyges posted:

If anime adaptations are the next big thing, I look forward to the bidding war between HBO and Netflix to make the live action Legend Of The Galactic Heroes series.

That would be the dream.

I've been watching the LotGH remake with my girlfriend, who had never seen the show before. Despite me telling her not to look up things due to spoilers, she looked up the Wikipedia page for her favorite character, found out he dies and she got upset for the rest of the day.

Kircheis....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Surprised they don't adapt the more "Western" anime like Cowboy Bebop or Trigun.