Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Republicans posted:

Yeah that's what I've been doing, but the harshest degreaser we have is simple green. I've got a couple looking immaculate but after that I'm just looking for the camera to deliver a "there's got to be a better way!"

Oil eater from retail (auto parts) or grease express from Sysco. They're both such powerful degreasers that they burn your skin by saponifying the grease out of your flesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
We use one called HD Degreaser, just water it down and spray it on/rinse.

Also I found a way to get some time off, just rupture your achilles tendon. It's quick, free* and painful.

* Not in the US.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Comedy option: buy way way more than you need, change them out daily so they never get really bad, and when they're all dirty, run them over to your local coin-operated self-serve car wash and blast them clean with a high pressure car sprayer, and probably some soap or degreaser of some kind, I dunno.

And by "comedy option" I mean this is 100% what the owner at dive bar where I work does with our little 2-filter hood setup.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Raikiri posted:

We use one called HD Degreaser, just water it down and spray it on/rinse.

Also I found a way to get some time off, just rupture your achilles tendon. It's quick, free* and painful.

* Not in the US.

Owwwwww! That's a long and painful recovery, I hope yours goes smoothly. Question - did you hear a loud "pop" or something to that effect? Every time an athlete ruptures their Achilles, nearby players say it's so loud that even they hear it.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Owwwwww! That's a long and painful recovery, I hope yours goes smoothly. Question - did you hear a loud "pop" or something to that effect? Every time an athlete ruptures their Achilles, nearby players say it's so loud that even they hear it.

Nope, no pop. I slipped slightly on Tuesday and thought I had just twisted my ankle a little, carried on working.

Gradually got worse until about 2.30PM Thursday (and about 40,000 steps later) when I said I need to leave. Ankle is twice it's usual size and the whole foot has some bruising, the Doc said to stay off it as much as possible for the next week, if it doesn't improve I'll need an X-Ray to make sure there's no fractures etc.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Been reading this thread a bit, reminds me of old times as a teenager in my first jobs. Grinding away at university for something I probably really don't wanna do... am I loving nuts for wanting to get back into working hospitality? Tending a bar just sounds so great and non-stressful compared to school right now. I miss not worrying about anything after work ends.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

As you get older, you might find that not worrying about things after work ends is less appealing than not worrying about how you're going to pay your bills or ever retire. If you can swing an industry job that pays enough to have those things covered, you have found the jam and should ride it as long as you want.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Liquid Communism posted:

As you get older, you might find that not worrying about things after work ends is less appealing than not worrying about how you're going to pay your bills or ever retire. If you can swing an industry job that pays enough to have those things covered, you have found the jam and should ride it as long as you want.

Until you get sick and your employer does their best to fire you.

And that's how I decided to get some IT certs and go back to college to finish my Chemistry degree.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I took the job.

Leaving the restaurant industry to manage a hot foods department at a local grocery store.

Same wage, nine less people to manage, a boss that actually allows me to give my staff wages, and freedom to make my own recipes.

No more minimum wage staffing with labour percentages that are unattainable while my salary counts towards it. No more deep fried everything. No more phone calls about policy changes for the sake of policy changes. No more shadow firing my staff because they take an extra hour to prep than the guy who doesn’t show up half his shifts. No more disregarding loyal staff.

I’m.. I’m free.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

And that's how I decided to get some IT certs and go back to college to finish my Chemistry degree.

Wait what? Is this a recent development?

So new jobs(3) are going good. Prep during the day and two different security jobs at night. Been wanting to get into IT but I can't get out of this "fill every waking moment with menial work" mentality. Atleast Im starting to eat again. Liquid, any recommendations on certs to get? I tried to apply for helpdesk stuff but ran out of time and money. I figure get A+, M$ entry, and CCNA. I also personally want assistant project manager and a scrum cert because Im cool like that. That should get me an entry level job right? Time frame is 6m.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

ApolloSuna posted:

Wait what? Is this a recent development?

So new jobs(3) are going good. Prep during the day and two different security jobs at night. Been wanting to get into IT but I can't get out of this "fill every waking moment with menial work" mentality. Atleast Im starting to eat again. Liquid, any recommendations on certs to get? I tried to apply for helpdesk stuff but ran out of time and money. I figure get A+, M$ entry, and CCNA. I also personally want assistant project manager and a scrum cert because Im cool like that. That should get me an entry level job right? Time frame is 6m.

Over the past month I got C. diff, was out 10 days because it's highly contagious, and can kill at risk individuals. Still had constipation/diarrhea afterwards, gastroenterologist orders a more accurate C. diff test, boss writes me up for poor performance and attitude (I've been to the ER twice, 3 different doctors a total of 10 times at this point). C diff test comes back positive, so I can't be near food again, new antibiotic is $5k, thankfully insurance brings that down to $100, boss says sick notes aren't enough, I'm not visibly disabled. I take it to HR, file for FMLA, and he tries to not let me use PTO or sick days for my time out until disability kicks in.

To be fair, I did call him a heartless piece of poo poo in front of an entire brigade kitchen. But it's not a false statement, so I don't see why he's so hard up to fire me. Too bad for him, I know my rights, and documented everything along the way.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sucks, mang. It sounded like you were previously enjoying that gig a lot.

Also, take that 'trying to make you work with C Diff' poo poo to the city/state health inspectors. You likely legally (definitely ethically) -couldn't- work, and he should know that.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Over the past month I got C. diff, was out 10 days because it's highly contagious, and can kill at risk individuals. Still had constipation/diarrhea afterwards, gastroenterologist orders a more accurate C. diff test, boss writes me up for poor performance and attitude (I've been to the ER twice, 3 different doctors a total of 10 times at this point). C diff test comes back positive, so I can't be near food again, new antibiotic is $5k, thankfully insurance brings that down to $100, boss says sick notes aren't enough, I'm not visibly disabled. I take it to HR, file for FMLA, and he tries to not let me use PTO or sick days for my time out until disability kicks in.

To be fair, I did call him a heartless piece of poo poo in front of an entire brigade kitchen. But it's not a false statement, so I don't see why he's so hard up to fire me. Too bad for him, I know my rights, and documented everything along the way.

"It's so hard to get qualified help!!" *treats qualified help worse than the actual garbage in the garbage can*

Freelancing paycheck to paycheck with no stability is 100% worth not having to deal with that.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Alternate to IT industry if any of you are at all mechanically inclined: water treatment plant operator. Not the stinky kind (tho those jobs are out there, too), potable drinking water.

I’m not sure if things have changed in CA, but iirc the CA Dept of Health does the water treatment/water distribution certification that you need to work as an operator. You go take some correspondence courses from Sac State, go take the certification tests you qualify for, and generally when you pass them you can go work somewhere as an assistant operator or operator-in-training. A few years of work history and a few more classes lets you take the operator-level certs and then it’s smooth sailing. Afaik pay/benefits are usually decent and most of the time the jobs are city or local municipality and union.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

poo poo dude, aren't you at the new fairmont? At this point don't you have a moral obligation to like let corporate know they have a manager who thinks its okay to serve food while highly contagious/has an attitude that gets people killed?

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

that is insanely hosed up, and I hope the cards fall in your direction

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

poo poo dude, aren't you at the new fairmont? At this point don't you have a moral obligation to like let corporate know they have a manager who thinks its okay to serve food while highly contagious/has an attitude that gets people killed?

I did, which is probably why he was trying so hard to fire me via the "proper" way.

Once my short term disability and PTO have been dispensed I'll do the rest. Would rather not be shorted all that pay and have to start a lawsuit while I'm trying to move cross country.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

idiotsavant posted:

Alternate to IT industry if any of you are at all mechanically inclined: water treatment plant operator. Not the stinky kind (tho those jobs are out there, too), potable drinking water.

I’m not sure if things have changed in CA, but iirc the CA Dept of Health does the water treatment/water distribution certification that you need to work as an operator. You go take some correspondence courses from Sac State, go take the certification tests you qualify for, and generally when you pass them you can go work somewhere as an assistant operator or operator-in-training. A few years of work history and a few more classes lets you take the operator-level certs and then it’s smooth sailing. Afaik pay/benefits are usually decent and most of the time the jobs are city or local municipality and union.

You could also go work in sales for either booze, beer wine or kitchen equipment, become a repair person, beer draft line tech, HVAC for restaurants, all sorts of things.

E: lo-fuckin-l at trying to make you work around food with loving C Diff. Drop a tip to Eater Austin before I do.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004
To the guy with C Diff: Do you mind explaining how your symptoms presented and the scenario surrounding your eventual diagnosis? Did it occur in the workplace?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Within the past 6 months or so, the guy with C. diff also had two borderline fatal bike accidents and an unrelated pseudo-psychotic break that had him chugging multiple bottles of mezcal or some poo poo while working the line on a lithium megadose.

Is that about right, CdC, or did I miss some things?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Despite having been out of the industry for about 5 years now I’ve kept going back to do a few shifts every year to keep my trade currency up. This is a twofold thing the first is to help out in my old kitchen when they find themselves hosed and the second is I’m on track to be trained up as a commercial cookery teacher so I need to keep my hours up if that’s gonna happen.

I do love going back and doing the occasional shift though cause it’s so different from my job as a teacher and it’s also something I enjoy doing immensely but it’s also something that I’m glad I’m no longer doing on a day to day basis cause I think that would gently caress me sideways these days.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

marshalljim posted:

Within the past 6 months or so, the guy with C. diff also had two borderline fatal bike accidents and an unrelated pseudo-psychotic break that had him chugging multiple bottles of mezcal or some poo poo while working the line on a lithium megadose.

Is that about right, CdC, or did I miss some things?

Past 2 years, but yeah. It's been a rough couple of years, this industry sucks.

C. diff came from taking a high dose of Augmentin for sinus infection.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I kinda lucked out. I got burned out of cooking, so I took a job that was mostly catering delivery. Business has been kicking up and they were planning to send me to kitchen, but since I'm their first delivery guy who isn't some shifty townie who doesn't gently caress around on deliveries, I just get more deliveries. It's nice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Given all the horrible things we know people have put up with for years at a time at various jobs, how terrible does a place have to be for everyone to quit at the same time?

https://twitter.com/_ericblanc/status/1099493825834336256?s=19

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
The hunting lodge I was getting headhunted by had been quiet communications wise so I reached out, and I was told that they hadn't been at the lodge lately (off season plus brutal winter weather making a tour+meeting difficult) and also that they (to paraphrase verb tense-wise) 'for sure wanted me to visit' and 'were looking forward to meeting me and making this work for me.'

The combination of this kind of communication and the fact that I have at least 6+ months to negotiate and decide makes me immensely optimistic.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Skwirl posted:

Given all the horrible things we know people have put up with for years at a time at various jobs, how terrible does a place have to be for everyone to quit at the same time?

https://twitter.com/_ericblanc/status/1099493825834336256?s=19
Per the thread they put them on a $4/hr plus tips wage.
I am glad it is getting some attention.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Scarodactyl posted:

Per the thread they put them on a $4/hr plus tips wage.
I am glad it is getting some attention.

Sonic is notorious for this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sonics don't have table service do they? Jesus.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Isn't their original gimmick that they bring the food out to your car?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

pile of brown posted:

Isn't their original gimmick that they bring the food out to your car?

It's this, so technically it's table service, thus eligible for tips or some poo poo.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Even then I guarantee not everyone in the building does table service even 51% of their day.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But yeah, some Sonics, not all as they're franchises, are notorious for paying their employees tip wages and not providing a means for the customer to provide a tip if they pay via card.

It's why I've never been to one and don't plan on it.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
So I walked in the middle of service today.

I work(ed) in a fairly low end but very high volume restaurant with 300 seats indoors, 120 outdoors and a takeaway attached to the kitchen. Today was literally the hottest day ever recorded in Febuary, with just me and one other in the kitchen.

I turned up at 9am and started preparing the fryers after a very busy weekend (£30,000 takings), got everything ready for service with the assumption we wouldn't open the takeaway, I hadn't been told otherwise and there are two other takeaway units that could deal with that. 11AM rolls around and the restaurant manager comes in and starts opening the takeaway without saying a word to me.

We immediately have about 20 tables seated and a queue of 20 people at the takeaway, the cookline isn't set up to provide for both so I can't get everything ready, people are waiting a while for their food, nobody is on KP, nobody is on desserts, I don't have enough fryers for everything and I shouldn't even be working due to the aforementioned ruptured achilles tendon.

I told the manager, who I've been begging to hire more people for 2 months that if he comes in and complains about wait times I'm just going to leave... He came in and complained.

So yeah, either going to be job hunting or loving off travelling for a while.

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 25, 2019

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
If you’ve got time to bitch at the kitchen about ticket times, you’ve got time to bail them out. gently caress that guy.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Raikiri posted:

So I walked in the middle of service today.

So yeah, either going to be job hunting or loving off travelling for a while.

You did the right thing.

Someone overdosed on meth in my resto’s bathroom today

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Walking out of a job is so drat satisfying.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I had 4 tables booked for monday night dinner service and one no-showed. I didn't have to cut any staff because we're all paid regular full time wages and none of us work for tips. I'm going home early cuz salary.

country cluuuuubs

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

That first sleep afterwards.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shooting Blanks posted:

Did that at an IT gig a couple of decades ago. Still feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Plan Z posted:

That first sleep afterwards.

Satisfying as hell. I like having a stable job now, but there are few things in my life that have felt as good as the beer after 'gently caress this poo poo I'm out' registers on some idiot's face after putting up with their poo poo because I needed the job.