Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It stuck around in the public consciousness more that Crash did, at least. How that won best picture I have no idea.

When people talk about Crash I always assume they mean the car crash sex one and not the racism one. At least the former is amusing and the sort of thing you can get drunk and mock with friends.

Casablanca is good. And not just because you ‘have’ to like it because it’s a classic. It’s genuinely a really moving film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Casablanca is a good film, but I'd actually say it counts as not aging well in a different way because the first time I saw it it was basically a string of "oh, so that's the scene that other thing was parodying".

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Casablanca isn't a perfect film but it has a few scenes that are complete slam dunks, even if they're melodramatic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Makes the French national anthem sound pretty boss.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mu Zeta posted:

It doesn't need much help to do that. The lyrics would make Conan proud.

Also a bunch of the extras were refugees / emigres from Europe and the emotion in that scene was genuine.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mu Zeta posted:

Fun fact: The French National Anthem is the same tune as the theme song for the late lamented Fitzroy Football Club.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Byzantine posted:

Casablanca is a good film, but I'd actually say it counts as not aging well in a different way because the first time I saw it it was basically a string of "oh, so that's the scene that other thing was parodying".

I don't know, I felt like it landed despite the fact that a lot of it had become a cliche. Same with Rear Window.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Has there been a discussion about Scrubs anywhere in the thread? It just popped up on a local streaming service and I started throwing it on as my background noise show, but oof some of the stances on LGBT issues are just...yeesh.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Scrubs was never good in the first place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Scrubs is one of those shows where the main character comes off as one of the worst people in the show in retrospect, including the 'villains'.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Scrubs is one of those shows where the main character comes off as one of the worst people in the show in retrospect, including the 'villains'.

By about 6 seasons in it feels like a different show to what it started as.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I, Butthole posted:

Has there been a discussion about Scrubs anywhere in the thread? It just popped up on a local streaming service and I started throwing it on as my background noise show, but oof some of the stances on LGBT issues are just...yeesh.

Examples? I’ll never get around to watching it, but I’m curious.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Scrubs generally holds up okay minus a few offensive jokes, but it's probably more 'important' than it is 'good'. It's a pretty key link in the chain of network sitcoms, and modern comedy probably wouldn't look the same without it.

It's always going to be the most accurate depiction of doctor life and hospital work, too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ariong posted:

The biggest or most often recurring element I can think of relating to LGBT issues is Turk and JD being incredibly insecure about their friendship being perceived as, in any way, gay.

There's also a bunch of other problems though, like Dr Cox constantly insulting JD by calling him girls' names and consistently dismissing Elliot and calling her "Barbie" - and yes, Dr Cox is supposed to be a flawed character but he's also supposed to be sympathetic and admirable - or The Todd's behaviour almost always being excused or brushed aside.

It's been years since I watched it though so there are probably a lot of other things that I either didn't notice at the time or have forgotten.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's an incredibly lovely person and the show expects us to support him wholeheartedly. He starts out as clueless and dumb but by season 4ish he's an incredibly manipulative abusive rear end in a top hat. Everything about Elizabeth Banks' character is creepy as poo poo.

Tiggum posted:

There's also a bunch of other problems though, like Dr Cox constantly insulting JD by calling him girls' names and consistently dismissing Elliot and calling her "Barbie" - and yes, Dr Cox is supposed to be a flawed character but he's also supposed to be sympathetic and admirable - or The Todd's behaviour almost always being excused or brushed aside.
Hilariously, this is way less misogynist than almost any of the behavior I've heard described by medical students and people doing their residencies.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Scrubs generally holds up okay minus a few offensive jokes, but it's probably more 'important' than it is 'good'. It's a pretty key link in the chain of network sitcoms, and modern comedy probably wouldn't look the same without it.

It's always going to be the most accurate depiction of doctor life and hospital work, too.

Green Wing :colbert:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I was like 12 when I first saw Gump, and I liked it well enough, but the thing that was the best about the movie to me was the soundtrack CD, lol

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I did some googling a while back to find criticism of the movie and there isn't a ton, but there are a bunch of Reddit threads about what a bitch Jenny was.
Jesus even as a kid I could figure out what was up with jenny, what's wrong with redditors

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Ariong posted:

What others have mentioned (the calling someone by a girls name isn't really that egregious though) but there's also the chief of medicine's son going through an off-screen progression of closeted, experimenting with drag, moving in with a man (where I am at the moment) and from what I remember ends up having a sex change in a later season, referred to only as a part of rants that denigrate and call it "disappointing lifestyle changes". The chief of medicine is an all around arsehole and consistently presented as such, and I think the latest seasons have him accepting his son, but the jokes are consistently positioning his sons sexuality and lifestyle as the butt of the joke. There's also a few separate points where one of the central cast is jealous of another woman's looks and makes jokes or starts spreading rumours that they used to be a man, which I think has happened at least twice that I've noticed in this watch.

It's more emblematic of how far LGBT acceptance has progressed in the fifteen years or so since this point on the show, but it's still a bit jarring considering how surprisingly decent it is on representation of race and gender in the core cast - whether that's a mistake or not, as other people have already mentioned that the main character ends up being one skip and a hop away from being the creepy rapist in a horror movie so very frequently in how he treats women and is forgiven, as well as other relationships portrayed on the show that are one small step away from "call the cops, this is abuse" from a random passer-by on the street - and it's important in how it's affected the style and form of modern network sitcoms.

FactsAreUseless posted:

He's an incredibly lovely person and the show expects us to support him wholeheartedly. He starts out as clueless and dumb but by season 4ish he's an incredibly manipulative abusive rear end in a top hat. Everything about Elizabeth Banks' character is creepy as poo poo.

Ooh I actually have a specific example of this: an episode revolves around JD's frustration that his new girlfriend never laughs, instead saying "that's so funny." He eventually confronts her about it at a barbecue attended by friends, where she goes and cries behind a tree while he cooks. His friend, Turk, asks him what the hell, and JD responds with "Y'know what's funny? She's not at the tree saying,' that's so sad'." Turk runs over to the girlfriend, JD keeps cooking at the barbecue, and there's a musical sting that the show acknowledges in frequent fourth wall breaks in previous episodes as "that's so goofy!"

Thinking about all this makes me really hesitant to revisit the early seasons of Arrested Development and how Tobias' sexuality is treated. Or Gob's statutory rape that is forgiven and forgotten by practically everyone in the show.

I, Butthole has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Feb 21, 2019

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

the chief of medicine's son going through an off-screen progression of closeted, experimenting with drag, moving in with a man (where I am at the moment) and from what I remember ends up having a sex change in a later season, referred to only as a part of rants that denigrate and call it "disappointing lifestyle changes". The chief of medicine is an all around arsehole and consistently presented as such, and I think the latest seasons have him accepting his son, but the jokes are consistently positioning his sons sexuality and lifestyle as the butt of the joke.
Pretty sure Kelso's son was gay, not trans. And from what I recall, Kelso's attitude shift was more from "disappointed but broadly accepting" to "trying way too hard". Like, I think the first mention of his son is when Kelso's responding to someone not getting what they wanted by saying something like "I want grandkids, but my son keeps bringing his 'roommate' home for family dinners; we all have to deal with disappointment" and then in later seasons he's always making sure that everyone knows how accepting he is of his "gay son".

The homophobia in the show generally tended to be that kind where it's not aimed at gay people directly but manifests in straight people being hyper-vigilant about not being seen as gay themselves. Like, they're OK with gay people existing in general, but they still don't want to be associated with gay people or homosexuality in any way. Like with Turk and JD insisting that "there's nothing gay about [their relationship]" in the musical episode or with Kelso's othering of his son by referring to him repeatedly as "my gay son" even though he has only one son so there's no need to specify.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There’s also The Todd, who starts out as your general sexual harassment character then gets an episode where he ends up being attracted to everything.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Louis ck in parks and rec is a really rough watch especially because his arc uh, climaxes by forcing Leslie into listening to his love confession even though she really didn't want to

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tiggum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE_5_BbZlbI

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There was the episode where most of the above characters are dragged in for sensitivity training and it's explained why they'll never change. (The Todd was psychologically broken down in one episode but the character who did it said he'll probably revert in a couple of days) Still not the best way to do it, I'd think.

JD from the perspective of anybody else is a goddamn lunatic.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

JD from the perspective of anybody else is a goddamn lunatic.

I really liked the one episode where they showed one of his flights of fancy from an outside perspective and it's just him staring into space for about 30 seconds while Elliot says "yeah, just wait, he does this all the time" and then JD wakes up and says some meaningless non-sequitur (presumably relating to whatever he just imagined).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The only blameless person on that show was the sad lawyer, who recently received a cancer diagnosis incompatible with a long happy life. He has a young kid. An almost Scrubsian denouement.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bobjr posted:

There’s also The Todd, who starts out as your general sexual harassment character then gets an episode where he ends up being attracted to everything.

He’s the first omnisexual television character.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Almost any American Comedy from the early 2000's is going to have a lot of iffy jokes because Family Guy and the success of South Park made shock and purposefully offensive the dominant style of American humor. For god's sakes remember Mind of Mencia? A lot of the feel-good comedy nowadays like Parks & Rec were started as a reaction to this trend.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Almost any American Comedy from the early 2000's is going to have a lot of iffy jokes because Family Guy and the success of South Park made shock and purposefully offensive the dominant style of American humor. For god's sakes remember Mind of Mencia? A lot of the feel-good comedy nowadays like Parks & Rec were started as a reaction to this trend.

Mind of Mencia was just a cheap knock off of The Chappelle Show, because he up and vanished for a decade, change my mind.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Scrubs is real bad about going out of it's way to show why the two main characters don't belong together and are a bad couple only to suddenly shove them together as the series got near it's end. (But it's not the only show bad about this. It's a pretty recurring trend. Looking at you How I Met Your Mother).

The only good thing about that is Keith's anger at her breaking up their engagement was pretty funny.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I, Butthole posted:

Ooh I actually have a specific example of this: an episode revolves around JD's frustration that his new girlfriend never laughs, instead saying "that's so funny." He eventually confronts her about it at a barbecue attended by friends, where she goes and cries behind a tree while he cooks. His friend, Turk, asks him what the hell, and JD responds with "Y'know what's funny? She's not at the tree saying,' that's so sad'." Turk runs over to the girlfriend, JD keeps cooking at the barbecue, and there's a musical sting that the show acknowledges in frequent fourth wall breaks in previous episodes as "that's so goofy!"

There's one that always bugged me, near the end of one of the seasons JD decides he'll finally be upfront with Elliot and reveal his feelings about her, that he always loved her but never had the opportunity or courage to go forward with it but this time he'll do it for real. During the entire episode, one of his exes is taunting him that he only wants to be with Elliot because she is something he can't have and the moment he manages it he'll get bored of her like he always does, which is always brushed off. And then, at the end, when he does confess his feelings to her and she reciprocates, he wakes up the following morning and thinks "...I don't want this" and the following episode is about he trying to break up with her.

It's a hard swerve from "main character who is a little out there" to "manipulative rear end in a top hat"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Louis ck in parks and rec is a really rough watch especially because his arc uh, climaxes by forcing Leslie into listening to his love confession even though she really didn't want to

it was also a rough watch prior to that stuff coming out because he was very unfunny and boring

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Iron Crowned posted:

Mind of Mencia was just a cheap knock off of The Chappelle Show, because he up and vanished for a decade, change my mind.

I mean, was there ever any disagreement over that? Dave ran off, and I’m pretty sure Mind of Mencia was the show that replaced the aborted third season, I think even in the same exact time slot, in the summer of 2005.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Scrubs is a comedy about the ways the medical profession destroys people as humans, which is really loving weird, but it kind of works. J.D., like all the interns/residents, has to learn to grow up. J.D. is the last to do so, because when he does the show ends.

It was a show about how medicine makes the people who practice it horrible loving people. You root for them because they do want to be good people, and they do try to be, but they fail a lot. But J.D. turning into more and more of a jerk as the show goes on isn't unintentional, it's the whole point. It's only once he manages to establish a life for himself outside the hospital that he starts to get better.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!

I, Butthole posted:

I'm pretty sure Turk immediately calls JD an idiot for doing this and JD agrees. It's super lovely of him and everybody acknowledges it, the show isn't trying to make it seem "goofy."

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

sweet geek swag posted:

Scrubs is a comedy about the ways the medical profession destroys people as humans, which is really loving weird, but it kind of works. J.D., like all the interns/residents, has to learn to grow up. J.D. is the last to do so, because when he does the show ends.

It was a show about how medicine makes the people who practice it horrible loving people. You root for them because they do want to be good people, and they do try to be, but they fail a lot. But J.D. turning into more and more of a jerk as the show goes on isn't unintentional, it's the whole point. It's only once he manages to establish a life for himself outside the hospital that he starts to get better.

This interpretation would be more convincing if every episode didn't end with a "What I learned today monologue?"

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This interpretation would be more convincing if every episode didn't end with a "What I learned today monologue?"

To be fair, you kind of have to do that in order to keep the characters likable. That's the whole 'they're trying to do better' aspect of the show.

The reality is that at no point does J.D. actually change his behavior, at least not until very late in the series.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I, Butthole posted:

Thinking about all this makes me really hesitant to revisit the early seasons of Arrested Development and how Tobias' sexuality is treated. Or Gob's statutory rape that is forgiven and forgotten by practically everyone in the show.

There's plenty of reasons to be hesitant of an Arrested Development re-watch. :sigh:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

I, Butthole posted:

What others have mentioned (the calling someone by a girls name isn't really that egregious though) but there's also the chief of medicine's son going through an off-screen progression of closeted, experimenting with drag, moving in with a man (where I am at the moment) and from what I remember ends up having a sex change in a later season, referred to only as a part of rants that denigrate and call it "disappointing lifestyle changes". The chief of medicine is an all around arsehole and consistently presented as such

In the last seasons Kelso is a lovable member of the gang whose horrible dirty old man routine is seen as perfectly acceptable by the rest of the cast.

At some point in every sitcom, characters that the audience likes (even if they're vile people) transform into characters people in the show like, even if it makes no sense. Because they have to keep them around, for ratings and because the actor is "part of the family".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The Janitor is the only good person on the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I have some TV gifs that won't age well. Does that count?