Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Koalas March posted:

I have some TV gifs that won't age well. Does that count?

The odd thing is that Taraji P Henson has aged incredibly well. Seriously she's almost 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I loved the poo poo out of Scrubs when it first aired. Being a single cam sitcom with irreverent meta gags was a real game changer. IIRC Malcolm In The Middle started around the same time and it had the same fresh vibe. Then a few seasons in, the cast had gone through every possible permutation of coupling, new boyfriend/girlfriend, marriage, divorce, etc., it got to be too much drama while the characters themselves all became huge assholes.

Same thing happened to Cougar Town (Bill Lawrence's show after Scrubs). Again, started as a really goofy show that didn't take itself seriously. But at some point the revolving door of romances and breakups between the main characters overshadowed any remaining comedic elements and I just didn't care anymore.

Ted the Lawyer was absolutely the best character aside from The Janitor and it sucks about his cancer diagnosis.

Laterite has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Feb 21, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Laterite posted:

I loved the poo poo out of Scrubs when it first aired. Being a single cam sitcom with irreverent meta gags was a real game changer. IIRC Malcolm In The Middle started around the same time and it had the same fresh vibe. Then a few seasons in, the cast had gone through every possible permutation of coupling, new boyfriend/girlfriend, marriage, divorce, etc., it got to be too much drama while the characters themselves all became huge assholes.

my god, scrubs was a mid 2000s webcomic the whole time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Laterite posted:

I loved the poo poo out of Scrubs when it first aired. Being a single cam sitcom with irreverent meta gags was a real game changer. IIRC Malcolm In The Middle started around the same time and it had the same fresh vibe.

Those early 2000's new wave of single cam sitcoms really were a game changer.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

The odd thing is that Taraji P Henson has aged incredibly well. Seriously she's almost 50.

Taraji is a gift and everyone should watch Acrimony because she is amazing in it. If you have ever wanted to see her chase someone with a hatchet on a yacht, that movie is for you. it's my favorite so bad it's good movie.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

She was the best part of Person of Interest by far.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Laterite posted:

Same thing happened to Cougar Town (Bill Lawrence's show after Scrubs). Again, started as a really goofy show that didn't take itself seriously. But at some point the revolving door of romances and breakups between the main characters overshadowed any remaining comedic elements and I just didn't care anymore.

I watched the first and I think the second episode of Cougartown and thought the concept would have made a really good two hour romcom.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I actually didn't watch the first season at all, but jumped in on S2 due to positive reviews and commenters at the AV Club. It was a really funny show for a couple seasons, but really fell off when it moved to TBS.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

sassassin posted:

In the last seasons Kelso is a lovable member of the gang whose horrible dirty old man routine is seen as perfectly acceptable by the rest of the cast.

At some point in every sitcom, characters that the audience likes (even if they're vile people) transform into characters people in the show like, even if it makes no sense. Because they have to keep them around, for ratings and because the actor is "part of the family".

Taxi avoided this. Louie is always despised by every other member of the cast (except of course for Jim but his brains fried.) When he asked Alex for help with Zena he refused and only got tricked into by Louie making him think he was helping Zena instead

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Malcolm in the middle. Man that show was huge (almost) 20 years ago (gently caress). It just kind of fell off the radar though, I don't even think it's streaming anywhere. Even Frankie Muniz doesn't remember it anymore, though that's because of head trauma.

I looked around to find the episode where Bryan Cranston was making this huge sandwich and was stoked about it, and me in hindsight being stoked about it because loving A I love sandwiches. It doesn't have a wiki because it ended juuuuust shy of those taking off, and it feels weird to just not have that information available having it fed intravenously into me for over a decade at this point. Plus no one is going to go in and make one retroactively since it's a family sitcom and outside the interests of the people who make wikis for dead shows (sci-fi/fantasy).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't know, now that you've pointed out that there isn't a Malcom in the Middle wiki, one should spontaneously appear from the primordial soup. Try googling it again in a few days.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Laterite posted:

I actually didn't watch the first season at all, but jumped in on S2 due to positive reviews and commenters at the AV Club. It was a really funny show for a couple seasons, but really fell off when it moved to TBS.
You should see the British show it's based on.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

You should see the British show it's based on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

skooma512 posted:

Malcolm in the middle. Man that show was huge (almost) 20 years ago (gently caress). It just kind of fell off the radar though, I don't even think it's streaming anywhere. Even Frankie Muniz doesn't remember it anymore, though that's because of head trauma.

I looked around to find the episode where Bryan Cranston was making this huge sandwich and was stoked about it, and me in hindsight being stoked about it because loving A I love sandwiches. It doesn't have a wiki because it ended juuuuust shy of those taking off, and it feels weird to just not have that information available having it fed intravenously into me for over a decade at this point. Plus no one is going to go in and make one retroactively since it's a family sitcom and outside the interests of the people who make wikis for dead shows (sci-fi/fantasy).

For me, the most amusing thing about Malcolm was the actress playing the mom pulling a James Gandolfini and refusing to come to work after every few episodes until she was given raise after raise. It seemed like, for a while, every entertainment had a story about either production stopping on The Sopranos, or Jane Kaczmarek not turning up for Malcolm.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MaiM sucked rear end, fight me

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
more like oldtasteless

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Malcom in the Middle is a show I remember being funny, or at least having lots of funny moments, but a show I'm not really sure I want to go back and watch.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

oldpainless posted:

Life is unfair

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ExplodingSims posted:

Malcom in the Middle is a show I remember being funny, or at least having lots of funny moments, but a show I'm not really sure I want to go back and watch.

It holds up

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Don't be a thug cuz thugs are bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs3Aq3Me270

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's still very funny.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
If you're in the US, 'Malcolm in the Middle' is still available for streaming on Hulu. They picked up or kept most of what Netflix cast off last year.

I went back through the entirety of the show a few years back and I really thought it held up.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy9ceTxGYCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYng9T8EpS0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEA34Nk6skM

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Malcom in the middle is weird as it’s a kid show but it’s also kind of bleak like everyone is kind of a miserable rear end in a top hat.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
It was good enough that I look fondly back on it and don't regret watching it, but not good enough that I'd never seek it out for another go-round :shrug:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
MITM still holds up even if it got a little too cartoonish and repetitive in later seasons. It definitely doesn't have the same background noise appeal as a Friends, Frasier, Office type show, though.

Also giving TMBG a boost in residual career sustainability is a plus as well.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Meteor Man is a classic. It’s no joke probably one of the few films with a black voice behind it to get made in that era.
Meteor Man was bland except for the runway modeling scene, which came out of nowhere and had me and my brother on the floor laughing.

trickybiscuits has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Feb 22, 2019

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Literally the only two things I remember about the show*.

Great moments, and I laughed like an idiot when I first saw them, but yeah, don't think I'll ever hunt down the show again.

* Plus the one where Malcolm is a genius and memorises people credit card numbers in a school thing.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Dewey got annoying near the end and Hayden Panettiere's character was so bad they got rid of her after three episodes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ryonguy posted:

I watched the first and I think the second episode of Cougartown and thought the concept would have made a really good two hour romcom.

They shot themselves in the foot on that one by front loading that and then just ditching the concept around episode 6.

It goes from being about Jules trying to relive her 20s to her and her dysfunctional friends being alcoholics and having adventures.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

CharlestheHammer posted:

Malcom in the middle is weird as it’s a kid show but it’s also kind of bleak like everyone is kind of a miserable rear end in a top hat.

I think that's kinda what made it good though. No one was really a good person.
Also, an accurate portrayal of how being in the advanced classes doesn't make you a good person and guarantee any kind of success.

Also, you're gonna post a compilation of scenes and not post this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUcw3P8JlNM

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Malcolm himself got kind of annoying in the later seasons, but at the same time they did focus on the other cast more then too.

Plus Reese numbing his lower half to fight Stevie, only for Stevie to come in with robot walker legs to beat him up was great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something about Scrubs that someone on youtube pointed out that I found kind of funny was Carla and Turk stealing JD's apartment and the show not noticing it. Turk moved in with JD when they were interns, then Carla started spending time there when they started dating, then they start insisting JD move out because they're feeling like him living with them is pathetic? Dude, you're living with him, you're the ones who need to find your own place.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gaunab posted:

Dewey got annoying near the end and Hayden Panettiere's character was so bad they got rid of her after three episodes.

The final realization that all the boys were absolute geniuses in different fields (Dewey in music, Reese in gastronomy, Francis in leadership/being a criminal mastermind), and Hal and Lois pointing out that Dewey will be the only one who gets to use his talents for fun and profit, was fantastic

GetBehindTheMule
Feb 7, 2019

sassassin posted:

At some point in every sitcom, characters that the audience likes (even if they're vile people) transform into characters people in the show like, even if it makes no sense. Because they have to keep them around, for ratings and because the actor is "part of the family".

They initially handled this so well in season 2 of Community where Pierce was a straight up villain, but you really felt that the study group felt sorry for him and were just barely tolerating him hanging around, culminating in Pierce deciding to leave the group... only to completely ditch that dynamic when Chevy Chase decided to stay and so he becomes just a harmless grandpa in Season 3.

Season 4 gets complained about most, but some inspired episodes aside, Harmon never recaptured what made season 2 so good.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GetBehindTheMule posted:

They initially handled this so well in season 2 of Community where Pierce was a straight up villain, but you really felt that the study group felt sorry for him and were just barely tolerating him hanging around, culminating in Pierce deciding to leave the group... only to completely ditch that dynamic when Chevy Chase decided to stay and so he becomes just a harmless grandpa in Season 3.

Season 4 gets complained about most, but some inspired episodes aside, Harmon never recaptured what made season 2 so good.
I think season 1 and 3 Pierce were a lot more interesting and well-rounded. 2 is the strongest season but Pierce is one the weaker parts of it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wow, maybe I should give this a sh-

ExplodingSims posted:

I think that's kinda what made it good though. No one was really a good person.
Also, an accurate portrayal of how being in the advanced classes doesn't make you a good person and guarantee any kind of success.

Also, you're gonna post a compilation of scenes and not post this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUcw3P8JlNM

:stare:

Okay, he's at least a double threat. I don't remember, how's his singing?

GetBehindTheMule
Feb 7, 2019

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think season 1 and 3 Pierce were a lot more interesting and well-rounded. 2 is the strongest season but Pierce is one the weaker parts of it.

That's fair. I agree season 1 Pierce is also good. I may be biased as my favourite episode is the D&D one, which only works with a season 2 style Pierce.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Brother Entropy posted:

my god, scrubs was a mid 2000s webcomic the whole time

More that mid 2000s webcomics are basically sitcoms.

Calaveron posted:

The final realization that all the boys were absolute geniuses in different fields (Dewey in music, Reese in gastronomy, Francis in leadership/being a criminal mastermind), and Hal and Lois pointing out that Dewey will be the only one who gets to use his talents for fun and profit, was fantastic

The parents have basically emotionally crippled all of their children out of insecurity and fear.

I remember reading a novelisation or somethig of MitM and it went really well with what seemed like a brief theme in the late 90s of adolescents dealing with neglectful parents and too many siblings in rather depressing yet hope-tinged stories of children who have to grow up faster than their parents ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

This was on when I was 10. I thought it was weird then and I think it's kind of weird now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utgXR6k-P1s

Quite a few pages back so don't know if anyone replied - if you thought the Angela Anaconda animation was scary then you should've seen how it looked in the original Kablam shorts. It's so much worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppHQow2jVI