Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
thanks dinesh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gianthogweed posted:

As in deeply damaged the reputations of the people who knee-jerked. The Democrats have been using the media to foist their KKK brand onto Republicans since the 60s. This is just the latest example. Do you think it's just a coincidence that this story broke just when Kamala Harris was trying to push her anti-lynching bill? The last lynching happened in the 60s, when the KKK and the Democrats were still best buddies. They've knee-jerking their way to try and paint Republicans as KKK supporters ever since (some of them are, but far fewer than Democrats were back in the day). They may have knee jerked themselves off a cliff this time though.

Are you making a distinction between actual KKK membership and virulent racism though? Because there are a lot more hardcore racists in this country than there are card carrying KKK members.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Basebf555 posted:

Are you making a distinction between actual KKK membership and virulent racism though? Because there are a lot more hardcore racists in this country than there are card carrying KKK members.

Yes and it's the constant race baiting and tribal identitarianism that keeps creating more and more racists each generation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Emma Thompson has dropped out of Skydance Animation's "Luck" in response to Skydance hiring John Lasseter https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/emma-thompson-exits-skydances-luck-john-lasseter-hire-1187303

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gianthogweed posted:

As in deeply damaged the reputations of the people who knee-jerked. The Democrats have been using the media to foist their KKK brand onto Republicans since the 60s. This is just the latest example. Do you think it's just a coincidence that this story broke just when Kamala Harris was trying to push her anti-lynching bill? The last lynching happened in the 60s, when the KKK and the Democrats were still best buddies. They've knee-jerking their way to try and paint Republicans as KKK supporters ever since (some of them are, but far fewer than Democrats were back in the day). They may have knee jerked themselves off a cliff this time though.

Low effort stuff works better in D&D

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gizmodo published a full expose on sexual harassment allegations against voice actor Vic Mignogna https://io9.gizmodo.com/one-of-anime-s-biggest-voices-accused-of-sexual-harassm-1832390505

quote:

In summer 2018, as preparations were being made to record the dubbed vocals for Dragon Ball Super: Broly, two people connected to the project met with Funimation executives to suggest Mignogna be recast due to some improper conduct allegations making the rounds in the voice acting community, according to someone present at the meeting. This person, who asked not to be named, said that Funimation later told them the company was conducting an investigation into Mignogna’s conduct—but it was inconclusive, so Mignogna was kept on the project.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

They have surveillance footage of his friends buying the rope at the hardware store it was definitely a hoax you guys, he was about to get canned from the show and thought a hate crime would help his contract pull.

It’s deeply unfortunate but in this one particularly public instance the victim was actually lying for attention and has deeply damaged the surrounding conversation as a result.

He was not going to be fired. https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/fox-says-jussie-smollett-not-012911298.html

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
The good news is that the FBI is investigating the white powder letter sent to Smollett on the Empire set in a completely separate investigation from what the Chicago PD are doing. If their results also end up implicating Smollett, then there will be pretty much no defending him anymore. If they don’t implicate Smollett, then things get a lot more complex.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

They have surveillance footage of his friends buying the rope at the hardware store it was definitely a hoax you guys, he was about to get canned from the show and thought a hate crime would help his contract pull.

It’s deeply unfortunate but in this one particularly public instance the victim was actually lying for attention and has deeply damaged the surrounding conversation as a result.

The writers have debunked the idea that he was getting written out of the show.

It is interesting how many people immediately decided "a gay black man was attacked? Obviously a self staged hoax, it's the most likely explanation"

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

This is a good video on the widespread use of sexual violence against men as a joke in Hollywood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc6QxD2_yQw

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rhyno posted:

No you see the footage was doctored and this is all a smear campaign and reasons reason reason
who the gently caress said this

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
edit: probably not a great idea, even if we did just get a Nazi wandering in

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 20, 2019

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

It is interesting how many people immediately decided "a gay black man was attacked? Obviously a self staged hoax, it's the most likely explanation"

As a queer man in America, I can assure you it's not even slightly surprising they did

There's this big desire straights had basically the moment after SCOTUS made the ruling that gay marriage was legal to believe their work in helping us or believing us in any way was done, The Issue plaguing the community was solved forever and we could all just finally live in bliss. Each new injustice of course has gotten paid little mind ever since. Every year for at least the last 4 years has been a new recordbreaking year for trans people (mostly black trans women) being murdered. Multiple black gay men have been found dead from OD at a Dem donor's house

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

pls edit your post bro

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gianthogweed posted:

i know we are all agreeing that this guy is a dick and we should probably ignore him I would like to point out that

A: multiple black Americans were lynched in the year 2018, and the idea that the last lynching happened in the 1960s is false.

B: Literal KKK Member David Duke endorsed the Republican in the last presidential election, and most of the primary demographic for KKK membership has been voting for Republicans on a national level since Nixon and Goldwater. The democratic party's connection with the KKK is real and a part of the history of the party that can't be ignored but if you think the KKK would have voted for a Democrat on a national level in the last 50 years you're out of your mind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vegetable posted:

who the gently caress said this

Reddit/twitter best of compilation.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Reddit/twitter best of compilation.
Congrats you’re so proud you were correct in assuming the gay black man didn’t actually get lynched

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vegetable posted:

Congrats you’re so proud you were correct in assuming the gay black man didn’t actually get lynched

What? It's what the psychos were posting across various places. But continue reading into poo poo that isn't there.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rhyno posted:

But continue reading into poo poo that isn't there.

Rhyno posted:

Hate crimes are an atrocity but this rear end in a top hat faked this entire thing.

No you pretty much said that.

You also apologized earlier about people thinking you were defending Singer. Maybe just word your thoughts more carefully.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 20, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Crackbone posted:

No you pretty much said that.

You also apologized earlier about people thinking you were defending Singer. Maybe just word your thoughts more carefully.

I meant the being proud thing. I'm not proud of being right, it loving sucks that he's a lying sack of poo poo because of what this could to do actual victims. I will try to be more clear in the future.

As far as Jussie, it sounds like he's not just fired but being cut out of the finished episodes now. I wonder if his agent thought this was a good idea? Or if he came up with this on his own.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rhyno posted:

What? It's what the psychos were posting across various places. But continue reading into poo poo that isn't there.
You post a bunch of strawmen in this thread and call people psychos for being dumb enough to think the gay black dude did get attacked by a bunch of white supremacists.

Next you'll see a fake rape accusation and have a laugh that people ever believed it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vegetable posted:

You post a bunch of strawmen in this thread and call people psychos for being dumb enough to think the gay black dude did get attacked by a bunch of white supremacists.

Next you'll see a fake rape accusation and have a laugh that people ever believed it.

Wow, you're just way off the deep end on this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Wow, you're just way off the deep end on this.
Your posts speak for themselves, man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vegetable posted:

Your posts speak for themselves, man.

Please illustrate where I have ever disbelieved anyone prior to this. Your imaginary reap victim denial is a pretty siltl escalation.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

As weird as it feels to type this can we please just get back to posting about the mental and physical horrors that the insane entertainment industry keeps getting away with thanks

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

the escape goat posted:

As weird as it feels to type this can we please just get back to posting about the mental and physical horrors that the insane entertainment industry keeps getting away with thanks

The latest development is the dozens of articles released lately on nuns around the world who are beginning to look just as culpable as priests.

Inside the horrifying, unspoken world of sexually abusive nuns
https://nypost.com/2019/02/16/inside-the-horrifying-unspoken-world-of-sexually-abusive-nuns/

Texas Rangers Hall of Fame pitcher John Wetteland sexually assaulted 4-year-old, police say
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/01/15/texas-rangers-hall-famepitcher-john-wetteland-arrested-child-sex-abuse-charges

Gay mayor accused of sexual harassment as #MeToo reckoning comes to West Hollywood
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-weho-sexual-scandal-protests-20190216-story.html

Bill Cosby issues statement from prison saying he has 'no remorse' and is a 'political prisoner' like MLK, Gandhi and Mandela
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment...-201435205.html

Rhyno posted:

As far as Jussie, it sounds like he's not just fired but being cut out of the finished episodes now. I wonder if his agent thought this was a good idea? Or if he came up with this on his own.

Many Chicagoans (online here too) were skeptical from the beginning. One peculiarity was the "MAGA country" line. Most garden-variety MAGAs are low effort casual racists. And there's been some disillusionment in MAGA ethos lately anyway what with the lack of a wall and people being alarmed by their dismal tax refunds.

Most bona fide violent white supremacists (specifically actual white/criminal gangs in Chicago) don't even like Trump because they see him as a "jew sympathizer." I've read lots of articles on white gangs actually murdering minorities and they don't mess around. Throwing Asians into Lake Michigan to drown, stabbing poor immigrants to death with knives etc. This also fits in with the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting a few months back. Robert Bowers is not a fan of Trump.

I remember when the Trump family went to the wailing wall a couple years back wearing a yarmulke. A lot of the MAGA horde was indifferent on that. In contrast, white supremacists were raging and seething. This touches a little on the whole strangeness of anti-semetic zionism.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What's the connection between Jussie and the dudes? Is there evidence they are acquaintances/met before the incident?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

What's the connection between Jussie and the dudes? Is there evidence they are acquaintances/met before the incident?

One of the brothers was his personal trainer and both had been extras on Empire.

Also, in case anyone missed it Jussie Smollett has been formally charged with felony disorderly conduct (this is what the false police report is being charged as) and is expected to surrender to police and post bond tomorrow.

I assume that the FBI investigation into the white powder letter sent to him at the Empire set is ongoing, and if it turns out that he sent it to himself he'll probably face charges for that too.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 21, 2019

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sucrose posted:

One of the brothers was his personal trainer and both had been extras on Empire.

Also, in case anyone missed it Jussie Smollett has been formally charged with felony disorderly conduct (this is what the false police report is being charged as) and is expected to surrender to police and post bond tomorrow.

I assume that the FBI investigation into the white powder letter sent to him at the Empire set is ongoing, and if it turns out that he sent it to himself he'll probably face charges for that too.

That would be mail fraud.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Jp5K7rvqM

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol dude is going to drag this out in court. Maybe Jussie is a double agent :ninja: :tinfoil:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
This is such a weird case, it could really be anything. I would even buy it being a real attack over something else that he didn’t want to tell the cops about. We may never know for sure though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Coffee And Pie posted:

This is such a weird case, it could really be anything. I would even buy it being a real attack over something else that he didn’t want to tell the cops about. We may never know for sure though.

If he wants to salvage any manner of career or public persona he's going to have to cop to all of this.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol it was about money.

Jussie Smollett: Empire star 'staged hoax attack over salary' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47311145

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shaocaholica posted:

Lol it was about money.

Jussie Smollett: Empire star 'staged hoax attack over salary' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47311145

I'm seeing that and the persistent rumor that he was going to be written out even though that has been denied. He seemed to think he was on his way out.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Those are such boring reasons. Bring on the tinfoil.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shaocaholica posted:

Some people will do insane things to become/remain famous.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shaocaholica posted:

re: the Coast Guard guy who was arrested last week with the hit list and the cache of guns? I'm seeing some people saying the DOJ was ordered not to report it to the press because the guy was radicalized by Trump, but it leaked to the press anyway.

How's that?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
My hot take is that everyone has been radicalized by trump. Both for and against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

My hot take is that everyone has been radicalized by trump. Both for and against.

Out of necessity though. You don't just sit by allow Nazis to take over, you punch them and keep punching them until they get tired of it and go back into their holes.