Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

habituallyred posted:

Monster Hunter is a Dream Quest knock off that has much better art but only has about 10% of the sheer hatred for the player.

Post your favorite ways Dream Quest hates you:
The Hand of Glory
A monster that takes half damage from anything but piercing damage. If it has a deck I can tell you nothing about it. Because this rear end in a top hat makes you play your hand against yourself every other turn. Sure you can try to derail your killer combo by playing things in the wrong order. But if you cast magic or rely on plain old physical attacks you are going to die.

My favorites are the simple ones. Floor 1 mages that just kill you before you get to take a turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

I liked the Water Elementals. It’s been a while but I think think they lowered your card draw by 1 every 2 turns? The result is you win fast or you eventually reach the point where you sit there with an empty hand and no way to draw cards while they beat you to death.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I love synthetik's aesthetics so much but i'm so bad at it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

I love synthetik's aesthetics so much but i'm so bad at it

Apart from aesthetics, it has a really good '30-sec gameplay loop', but that core loop don't extend itself properly into a multi-dozen hours experience, like for example Dead Cells. The use of more or less realistic firearms means lots of them are very similar in use, lots of times the difference between items were passive buffs or 'proc chance for x effect', and the enemies were also not varied enough. You have normal guys, sniper guys, shield guys, robots that explode on contact, uh... not a lot more. Well, it had a few more types but you could include them in the same niches of enemy types.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A chance to make all your wildest tire kicking dreams come true on the long simmering, nearly there giant damned update to The Ground Gives Way~

http://www.thegroundgivesway.com/development-version-can-now-be-downloaded/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Alright this kicks rear end. It's weird as gently caress, but in sort of a charming way, and my first run through the game as a Knight soon saw me quintuple-wielding weapons and eviscerating Dracula by hitting him 600 billion times per turn, because I figured out that I could hyperspecialize into Having Equipment so as to clank into battle absolutely bristling with items and instantly deal 20+ damage with each use of that "deal X damage for each piece of equipment you're wearing" card. I actually ended up banishing most of my basic attack cards (all but the maxed out ones) because they're comically outclassed by my Impractical Number Of Knives Technique.

I tried this out this morning and it's fun as hell. Haven't even finished my first run, but I got two Whims in my deck and it's hilarious -- there's usually at least one really good card it offers, and lately it's been really fond of giving me Dual Strike (2 damage + draw two cards). Why yes, I will gladly shuffle six of those into my deck and draw most of my deck every turn.

Also, the victory screen is the best. Wild-eyed Red Riding Hood standing triumphant atop a heap of corpses.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 20, 2019

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

ExiledTinkerer posted:

A chance to make all your wildest tire kicking dreams come true on the long simmering, nearly there giant damned update to The Ground Gives Way~

http://www.thegroundgivesway.com/development-version-can-now-be-downloaded/

I'd encourage everyone to try this game if they haven't; it does really interesting things with managing your character's energy, health, magic points and food, since you expend energy to identify things, break down doors, etc., and it recovers through consumables or resting, but resting uses up food and reawakens any creatures you've knocked unconscious.

And since the entire power up curve is based on items you find (of which there are 100s I believe), you end up in neat situations where your resources dictate what you want to identify and when; crucially, hoarding items is prevented by having janitor type creatures show up to pick up any items you have dropped, so you really can't form stashes. I love this since you don't end up with a million items and it's balanced around having to make constant permanent decisions regarding your equipment load out. And since there's so many different items and monsters, each run I've played has turned out really differently, moreso than other roguelikes I've played.

Additionally, there's really great tutorials that walk you through the mechanics and any changes a new version introduces.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

A Strange Aeon posted:

I'd encourage everyone to try this game if they haven't; it does really interesting things with managing your character's energy, health, magic points and food, since you expend energy to identify things, break down doors, etc., and it recovers through consumables or resting, but resting uses up food and reawakens any creatures you've knocked unconscious.

And since the entire power up curve is based on items you find (of which there are 100s I believe), you end up in neat situations where your resources dictate what you want to identify and when; crucially, hoarding items is prevented by having janitor type creatures show up to pick up any items you have dropped, so you really can't form stashes. I love this since you don't end up with a million items and it's balanced around having to make constant permanent decisions regarding your equipment load out. And since there's so many different items and monsters, each run I've played has turned out really differently, moreso than other roguelikes I've played.

Additionally, there's really great tutorials that walk you through the mechanics and any changes a new version introduces.

All I remember from trying out earlier versions is not finding any weapons and dying to floating hands or something on the first floor that I couldn't run away from. Was waaaaayyyyy too luck based for my taste.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

habituallyred posted:

Monster Hunter is a Dream Quest knock off that has much better art but only has about 10% of the sheer hatred for the player.

Do you mean Monster Slayers? If not could you drop a link, because I cannot google it without being drowned out in monster hunter world, or a tabletop card game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

If you like the idea of dream quest and don't mind a watered down but actual visual version, check out the single player content of hearthstone. It is made by the guy that made dream quest. Dungeon runs is short 10 card deck in which you add three cards after every fight and treasure card every other fight. There are 10 randomized fights and 8 classes to chose from. Boom laboratory is a puzzle version. The rumble is... a complete mess avoid it. Basically it is the dungeon run but you have to try and protect your totem and win 10 matches. However the balance is terrible with certain totem being free wins and other being a near guaranteed loss.

The single player content is 100% free without any ads or anything. They have only monetized the multiplayer part.

Edit: Oh I forgot about the witchwood hunts. Those are pretty fun too. It is like the dungeon runs but with 4 unique classes. It is bit on the easy side but I found it to be the most fun. After you win with all four classes you get the final boss fight in which you play all 4 classes in a single fight against the witch.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 20, 2019

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

LordSloth posted:

Do you mean Monster Slayers? If not could you drop a link, because I cannot google it without being drowned out in monster hunter world, or a tabletop card game.

I can't imagine it being anything else. It's a nice game but waaay too easy. I don't think I've ever lost a normal mode run.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Roluth posted:

All I remember from trying out earlier versions is not finding any weapons and dying to floating hands or something on the first floor that I couldn't run away from. Was waaaaayyyyy too luck based for my taste.

Hmm, I can't speak to the version you played but unarmed now is actually a really strong weapon because you dual wield. Despite being non lethal, it's potentially superior to a lot of early weapons you can find.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Brief Zombasite update:
I found four survivors in the Brutish Wastes or something like that, three humans and a demon, Pixie or something like that. I had a good surplus of food so, with some misgivings, I recruited them into the clan.

Almost immediately the drama started, like, within five minutes of these clowns bedding down. Two of them can't stand each other, and started beating each other up. Someone put a curse on the entire clan. Then, as I was trying to figure out what the hell that even meant, someone else is deliberately given a deadly poison, and the east gate is mysteriously left open so a demon scout can enter.

Searching the area for "evidence," which turns out to be an adventure-style pixel hunt, I find poison reagents, hexing materials, and our new friends pointing fingers at each other.

Using a special, buried dialog for solving clan crimes (yes, this is an actual game mechanic), I make a wild guess that it's this rear end in a top hat Pixie demon, and accuse him. His happiness goes way down and he starts throwing flaming balls at the nearest clan member, so I kick him out of the clan.

His name changes to Richard for some reason, and he swears vengeance for getting kicked out, moments later dying to lightning burns from yours truly. Then he comes back as a ghost and I have to kill his ghost.

So now I have a cursed town and fatal poisoning to resolve. And two more clan members who are just stirring up poo poo. Thanks, Richard.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

So it's a roguelike about polyamory? Or Wicca?

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If I've played the Diablo like game and the space one Soldak released and found them alright but a bit too overwhelming and at some level generic, do you think Zombasite offers something different for me?

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
Zombasite is my absolute favorite terrible game. I don't have much else to add to that, but despite being so janky and obtuse, I can't ever uninstall it. It's so brilliant in it's lack of focus, compared to Drox and Din's Curse, that every game will basically have a story about as insane as previously posted, multiple times in each world.

I absolutely adore it.

I *think* it's a one man studio, also? I'm probably wrong on that, but it would explain a bit.

e: to the post above this that I didn't see, the combat is basically the same as the Diablolike Din's Curse with the insanity of it cranked up. Instead of a single outpost centered around the dungeon, it plops you into a procgen world with AI players (clans) that you can fight or cooperate with, and them amongst themselves. It's basically Diablo + a generic 4x game that's entirely too ambitious.

Mister No fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 21, 2019

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

doctorfrog posted:

Brief Zombasite update:
I found four survivors in the Brutish Wastes or something like that, three humans and a demon, Pixie or something like that. I had a good surplus of food so, with some misgivings, I recruited them into the clan.

Almost immediately the drama started, like, within five minutes of these clowns bedding down. Two of them can't stand each other, and started beating each other up. Someone put a curse on the entire clan. Then, as I was trying to figure out what the hell that even meant, someone else is deliberately given a deadly poison, and the east gate is mysteriously left open so a demon scout can enter.

Searching the area for "evidence," which turns out to be an adventure-style pixel hunt, I find poison reagents, hexing materials, and our new friends pointing fingers at each other.

Using a special, buried dialog for solving clan crimes (yes, this is an actual game mechanic), I make a wild guess that it's this rear end in a top hat Pixie demon, and accuse him. His happiness goes way down and he starts throwing flaming balls at the nearest clan member, so I kick him out of the clan.

His name changes to Richard for some reason, and he swears vengeance for getting kicked out, moments later dying to lightning burns from yours truly. Then he comes back as a ghost and I have to kill his ghost.

So now I have a cursed town and fatal poisoning to resolve. And two more clan members who are just stirring up poo poo. Thanks, Richard.

:stare:

I... guess I have to check this out when I have some free time.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mister No posted:

Zombasite is my absolute favorite terrible game. I don't have much else to add to that, but despite being so janky and obtuse, I can't ever uninstall it. It's so brilliant in it's lack of focus, compared to Drox and Din's Curse, that every game will basically have a story about as insane as previously posted, multiple times in each world.

I absolutely adore it.

I *think* it's a one man studio, also? I'm probably wrong on that, but it would explain a bit.

e: to the post above this that I didn't see, the combat is basically the same as the Diablolike Din's Curse with the insanity of it cranked up. Instead of a single outpost centered around the dungeon, it plops you into a procgen world with AI players (clans) that you can fight or cooperate with, and them amongst themselves. It's basically Diablo + a generic 4x game that's entirely too ambitious.

gently caress, now I have to buy it!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My one suggestion for Zombasite is to avoid trying to understand very much of it at first. Don't try to solve every quest (or even most of them), don't collect all the equipment, and don't worry about every town invasion, zombie illness, enemy clan, or your own death.

Just play it for a while as a Diablo clone. Go after a P3 quest or two, and only collect equipment that's really good. Unload the crap loot into your crafting bench so you have repair stuff. Have a plan for crowd control in case you get swarmed. If you get an invasion notice, check your map; if it's just one or two baddies you can often let your clan handle it.

One thing I really love about this terrible game is rolling random weirdo hybrid characters tends to still make for a playable game. Some are better than others, but they all at least feel viable.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Clark Nova posted:

So it's a roguelike about polyamory? Or Wicca?

It's about a fantasy world that undergoes a zombie plague thing, and some ad hoc clans are formed in the aftermath. Your job is to ensure the survival of your clan.

In my first game, I did have two guys who just loved being together. I'd leave them in town most of the time and they'd just continually each visit each others' homes. I'd return with some loot or whatever and visit with them briefly (face time has some temporary buffs), and I'd see icons indicating that they've repeatedly talked to each other, given each other gifts, told each other jokes, stuff like that. They were really into each other. Left alone, their happiness was as high as it can possibly go. This apocalypse was basically Disneyland. So for these two guys, it was about monogamy. I don't know if adding a third person would affect that dynamic, as I don't know yet if jealousy or depression is modeled.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

:stare:

I... guess I have to check this out when I have some free time.

It sounds like an even more wildly overambitious and overcomplicated version of Depths of Peril, which I'd be surprised if you haven't already played considering your taste in roguelikes, so yeah, I think you do. Make sure to report back!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I'll see if I can get my hands on it in the next week or two (work is nuts right now). I'll definitely write up a post once I have a chance to play it.

doctorfrog posted:

In my first game, I did have two guys who just loved being together. I'd leave them in town most of the time and they'd just continually each visit each others' homes. I'd return with some loot or whatever and visit with them briefly (face time has some temporary buffs), and I'd see icons indicating that they've repeatedly talked to each other, given each other gifts, told each other jokes, stuff like that. They were really into each other. Left alone, their happiness was as high as it can possibly go.

Finally, my husband and I can see ourselves represented in roguelikes.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

doctorfrog posted:

My one suggestion for Zombasite is to avoid trying to understand very much of it at first. Don't try to solve every quest (or even most of them), don't collect all the equipment, and don't worry about every town invasion, zombie illness, enemy clan, or your own death.

Just play it for a while as a Diablo clone. Go after a P3 quest or two, and only collect equipment that's really good. Unload the crap loot into your crafting bench so you have repair stuff. Have a plan for crowd control in case you get swarmed. If you get an invasion notice, check your map; if it's just one or two baddies you can often let your clan handle it.

One thing I really love about this terrible game is rolling random weirdo hybrid characters tends to still make for a playable game. Some are better than others, but they all at least feel viable.

How long are you supposed to survive? I picked this up after the previous discussion, but the leveling seems so slow and every time I've started a city it seems I'll hit a point about an hour or two in where I just stop being able to do any meaningful damage to anything. Then usually some other clan gets mad and attacks me with with nigh-invulnerable demon things, or everyone in town gets zombied and kills each other, or something else where it seems like there's really nothing i can do but slowly die.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Zombasite has co-op?? :stare:

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Soldak's latest, Din's Legacy, is currently in EA. It's a sequel to Zombasite mashed up with Din's Curse; all player characters are Mutated, and Din is sending them all over to fix things so they can legitimize the Mutated in the other race's eyes. There are some nifty (if a bit inscrutable) mechanics around mutations as a form of multiclassing. It's pretty neat, even if I haven't played it enough to truly get it started.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Some more notes on Full Moon, after playing it for a bit more last night:

- No microtransactions. Free version comes with one class (the Knight). There's six other classes you can unlock (Ranger, Nun, Witch, Magician, Apothecary, and Werewolf) for $1 each. It looks like each class has its own unique pool of cards to build the deck from, and a different set of possible blessings from the Fairy. I don't know if unlocking other classes adds new entries to the encounter pool, or if there are class-specific events.
- The only metaprogression is the Star Watch -- you earn stars for defeating bosses and can spend them there between runs. The bonuses are pretty modest, with the most dramatic one being the +1 equipment slot you get for unlocking the whole thing.
- The translation is comprehensible but kind of bad in places, and there's a few duplicate card names.
- There's no permadeath -- if you die it offers to show you an ad and revive you, but you can also get the same effect just by exiting back to the main menu and then tapping "continue" rather than "adventure". You probably can get into an unwinnable state if you play badly enough, though.
- Dodge Ranger + Lightning Nerves is fun as hell, although I don't know how well it'll scale into the endgame.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

alansmithee posted:

How long are you supposed to survive? I picked this up after the previous discussion, but the leveling seems so slow and every time I've started a city it seems I'll hit a point about an hour or two in where I just stop being able to do any meaningful damage to anything. Then usually some other clan gets mad and attacks me with with nigh-invulnerable demon things, or everyone in town gets zombied and kills each other, or something else where it seems like there's really nothing i can do but slowly die.

Feel free to bail on a world if levelling gets slow or, really, any other reason that's it's not going well. You can drag an NPC along with you as a buddy, which is usually pretty helpful if you get a good combat guy. I haven't played it much since a month or two after the expansion came out, but I'm probably gonna play some more this weekend.

Or I might buy Din's Legacy, instead, since I didn't realize that was already available in early access.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ToxicFrog posted:

Some more notes on Full Moon, after playing it for a bit more last night:

- No microtransactions. Free version comes with one class (the Knight). There's six other classes you can unlock (Ranger, Nun, Witch, Magician, Apothecary, and Werewolf) for $1 each. It looks like each class has its own unique pool of cards to build the deck from, and a different set of possible blessings from the Fairy. I don't know if unlocking other classes adds new entries to the encounter pool, or if there are class-specific events.

- There's no permadeath -- if you die it offers to show you an ad and revive you, but you can also get the same effect just by exiting back to the main menu and then tapping "continue" rather than "adventure". You probably can get into an unwinnable state if you play badly enough, though.

These are both specific to the Android version, apparently. On iOS the game costs a buck (maybe 2?) but comes with Knight, Ranger, Nun, and Witch and the rest are $1 apiece. No ads or revive functionality in that version either

edit; also there's a lot of metaprogression aside from that skill tree (which you'll fill out very quickly) -- completing achievements adds new cards to the pool and beating the 7 successive "hard modes" for each class adds some powerful new Fairy Blessing options.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

goferchan posted:

These are both specific to the Android version, apparently. On iOS the game costs a buck (maybe 2?) but comes with Knight, Ranger, Nun, and Witch and the rest are $1 apiece. No ads or revive functionality in that version either

edit; also there's a lot of metaprogression aside from that skill tree (which you'll fill out very quickly) -- completing achievements adds new cards to the pool and beating the 7 successive "hard modes" for each class adds some powerful new Fairy Blessing options.

Aah, I see -- looks like 52 achievements (at least in the android version), 45 that unlock cards. Presumably the other 7 are the new blessings.

It also, sadly, chews through battery incredibly fast. To the point that even if my phone is plugged in, Full Moon will drain the battery, unless it's plugged in to a high power USB-C wall wart. And this is with the "battery saver" option turned on; I assume if I turned it off my phone would simply combust.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I think the achievements that don't unlock cards are just cosmetic, blessings are separate and there are 6 to unlock for each class. Some of them open up some interesting new play styles too like a Knight one that says "whenever you play an action card, play an attack card from your deck" and stuff like that

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

I think my favourite thing about Night of the Full Moon is when you have the option to take a card or perk and your reaction is “...why would I want to do that?”, but you take it out of curiousity. Then 10 minutes later you’ve found the missing piece and it’s grossly powerful.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ranger is incredibly funny if you build your entire deck around generating Actions and cycling cards nonstop. Get the knife that damages enemies whenever you draw a card and it gets pretty ridiculous. You'll probably want the item that makes you immune to damage on your own turn, though, or you'll nuke yourself to gently caress when you come up against something with the trait that deals fire damage to you each time you use a card.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

alansmithee posted:

Like the other poster said, bail and bring your equipment to the next world at anytime or roll a new character. Ive kept rival clans happy by bribing them with junk I don’t want and solving their quests when I’m in a given area. I generally have enough money to bribe for treaties also. In fact that’s mostly what I use money for, at least right now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm most of the way through a Nun run in Full Moon and I think I may like this even more than the Ranger. The Book of Confessions means I'm doing a slowly amplifying piercing damage steamroll, but most enemies don't live to see it because turn 3-4 is about when the Smites start going off for 30 damage (+ 30 health or mana to me) per smiting. It's amazing.

E: how are you meant to defeat The Priest? He has a "turn into a statue when you die" ability, but unlike e.g. the Werewolf's resurrect ability it doesn't go away after it procs, so every time I kill him he just pops right back with full health and eventually wears me down.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 22, 2019

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Alright this kicks rear end. It's weird as gently caress, but in sort of a charming way, and my first run through the game as a Knight soon saw me quintuple-wielding weapons and eviscerating Dracula by hitting him 600 billion times per turn, because I figured out that I could hyperspecialize into Having Equipment so as to clank into battle absolutely bristling with items and instantly deal 20+ damage with each use of that "deal X damage for each piece of equipment you're wearing" card. I actually ended up banishing most of my basic attack cards (all but the maxed out ones) because they're comically outclassed by my Impractical Number Of Knives Technique.

My first run also devolved into my knight wielding about a half dozen assorted weapons, plus a mirror and who knows what else super glued to various placed. Half of them gave me armor or healed me. I'm pretty sure I beat the first final boss (the courage one, werewolf? I think courage was why I fought that one) anyway I beat it at full health because I was basically a crazy whirlwind of knives and axes and murder.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I've been playing the Zombasite demo; it really does get easier once you turn off the hints- they pop up at the worst times and drown you in info.
Tip: If you're close enough, you can use almost every menu while paused. This is a big help in getting your bearings.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I should mention that I bind pause to SPACE and use it constantly.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

E: how are you meant to defeat The Priest? He has a "turn into a statue when you die" ability, but unlike e.g. the Werewolf's resurrect ability it doesn't go away after it procs, so every time I kill him he just pops right back with full health and eventually wears me down.

For the priest, you have to carefully wear him down to almost dead and save up a combination of cards that will allow inflicting an insane damage spike. You literally have to nuke his statue form to dust in one turn in order to kill him. I have absolutely no idea how anyone would pull that off as a Nun, but it wasn't very difficult as a card-cycling Witch slinging around Mana Storms and double-damage Pyroblasts.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

my new favorite bad gun is the pressurized impaler :black101:

https://i.imgur.com/ewMAJkV.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

For the priest, you have to carefully wear him down to almost dead and save up a combination of cards that will allow inflicting an insane damage spike. You literally have to nuke his statue form to dust in one turn in order to kill him. I have absolutely no idea how anyone would pull that off as a Nun, but it wasn't very difficult as a card-cycling Witch slinging around Mana Storms and double-damage Pyroblasts.

I think damage done to the statue carries over to the next time you turn him into a statue?