Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Hugh at Livia's funeral. Some of the best lines in the whole show.

"Who are you?! Minister of propaganda?!"

"Oh don't hand me that! BULLSHIT!!! You wanted it, and you got it!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Mahoning posted:

Hugh at Livia's funeral. Some of the best lines in the whole show.

"Who are you?! Minister of propaganda?!"

"Oh don't hand me that! BULLSHIT!!! You wanted it, and you got it!"

I love that and I love Hesh being called upon to share a fond memory of Livia and offering 'I guess what struck me most was... she didn't mince words'.

Then catching Janice's expectant stare and helpfully expounding '...between brain and mouth, there was no interlocutor'.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Somehow I've seen the show like three times and I never caught Tony's father telling Livia in the flashback that she's "like an albacore around my neck" lol

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nobel Prizes in what? Packing fudge?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mahoning posted:

Hugh at Livia's funeral.

Thought you were talking about Christopher for a second!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdP7f4_YL8I

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jerusalem posted:

Thought you were talking about Christopher for a second!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdP7f4_YL8I

Goddamn this show is hilarious.

'They can't do that..even wit' computahs'

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The look on Adriana's face as she realizes that he's going nowhere with this is :kiss:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Upon further review, Dr. Melfi’s rape scene is a little much.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jerusalem posted:

The look on Adriana's face as she realizes that he's going nowhere with this is :kiss:

She's the world's most supportive partner.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Shouldn’t Angie Bonpensiero know that Tony and Silvio killed Pussy? She was literally sitting at the kitchen table with them before Pussy left with them and he never comes home.

Can’t believe I just realized that.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I'm pretty sure noone is actually dumb enough to believe the witness protection stories except like.. Adriana and Jackie jr.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

I'm pretty sure noone is actually dumb enough to believe the witness protection stories except like.. Adriana and Jackie jr.

It's been a while since I've watched it but I always remembered that when someone would mention witness protection, the way they said and their body language indicated they knew what really happened.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
When I came in to open up one morning, there you were, with your head half in the toilet. Your hair was in the toilet water. Disgusting.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

This thread got me to re-watch the series. It's good to be reminded how good Gandolfini is in it. I mean, most of the casting is really good and they really bring the characters to life, but man, he's on a different level.

You can just look at him and you know exactly what he's thinking in his head. He can go from sweet dad to a total insane psychopath in a heartbeat.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's been a while since I've watched it but I always remembered that when someone would mention witness protection, the way they said and their body language indicated they knew what really happened.

"He... moved to Norway."

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_peSCECc4I

Pure comedic gold. The gang never saw the irony in calling Chris a son of a bitch mere moments after he called his mother a whore.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
“What, was it barking?” Haha Paulie’s the best.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mahoning posted:

Shouldn’t Angie Bonpensiero know that Tony and Silvio killed Pussy? She was literally sitting at the kitchen table with them before Pussy left with them and he never comes home.

Isn't she depressed that he even came back after his seclusion in Florida between season 1 and 2? She may know but I doubt she gives a poo poo, she's happy he's gone.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mahoning posted:

She had to have known, she was getting "widows pay" from Tony after he disappeared. What is she going to do? Go to the cops? Testify in open court that the head of the New Jersey mob took her husband for a ride and he never came back ? They never found a body or any evidence that Puss was actually murdered, there wouldn't be enough circumstantial evidence to bring Tony in for questioning, let alone an arrest and trial. Every single one Tony's subordinates would have lied for him.

She grew up in the life and she knows what happened, but she was over the marriage anyway. Might as well get something out of it.

Did they ever explain how Big Pussy and Little Pussy go their nicknames?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

Hell, the feds know Pussy is dead even more so than Angie does and they don’t do anything about it either.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Big Pussy got the name because he started as a cat burglar.

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 1, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Angie also took over the autobody shop and started loan sharking and buying/selling stolen parts for the mob by the end. It got under Carmela's skin that she couldn't rub her nose into her Porsche because Angie worked and bought a Corvette for herself.

What a great show.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The show's pretty brutal in its portrayal of Carmella and her purposeful ignorance regarding Adriana's death. She literally dreams about it and the next morning doesn't even give it a second thought while pouring over her blueprints to the building Tony bought her, which was only given to her to do exactly that.

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Jerusalem posted:

Paulie taking Tony aside moments after Tony just got invited to the house of the big Boss/Don, in order to tell him,"Hey T, I'm going back to the hotel to take a poo poo!"

the actual dialogue is so much better

"I'm gonna hoof it back to the Excelsior. I gotta take a wicked poo poo."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Angie also took over the autobody shop and started loan sharking and buying/selling stolen parts for the mob by the end. It got under Carmela's skin that she couldn't rub her nose into her Porsche because Angie worked and bought a Corvette for herself.

I love that scene where one of the gangsters shows up to see her, and Carmella has to stand there and watch as they go off and talk together as equals while all she can do is stand there and wait.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
One of the great things about the show, at least for me, was that at the start, Carmella was kind of sympathetic character. But, bloody hell, by the end, you realize she's as despicable as any of them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ruddiger posted:

The show's pretty brutal in its portrayal of Carmella and her purposeful ignorance regarding Adriana's death. She literally dreams about it and the next morning doesn't even give it a second thought while pouring over her blueprints to the building Tony bought her, which was only given to her to do exactly that.

The scene where she's going through business cards and briefly pauses when she sees the one from the private investigator before throwing it away and calling the construction people is legit one of the best scenes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Narzack posted:

One of the great things about the show, at least for me, was that at the start, Carmella was kind of sympathetic character. But, bloody hell, by the end, you realize she's as despicable as any of them.

And the opposite happened for Meadow where she was a completely spoiled entitled arrogant teenager and turned into a successful intelligent independent woman. Hell, she may be the one to support the rest of the terrible family once Tony winds up dead or in jail since the other two are almost completely useless at taking care of themselves.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
YOU GOT A BEE ON YO HAT

STUPIDA loving GAME

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

We don’t have those bulb jokes. They don’t translate.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

And the opposite happened for Meadow where she was a completely spoiled entitled arrogant teenager and turned into a successful intelligent independent woman. Hell, she may be the one to support the rest of the terrible family once Tony winds up dead or in jail since the other two are almost completely useless at taking care of themselves.

But you got out a suitcase!!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Narzack posted:

One of the best scenes in the whole series is when Melfi sends Carmela to her old psychology professor and he just lays out in no uncertain terms that if she doesn't take her children and leave Tony immediately that she was complicit in all his crimes and the blood money she has will destroy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Carmella's ultimate reaction to that is amazing, but I also love during the scene itself as she keeps trying to twist what he's saying into something that makes her look good, and he keeps shutting her down and saying,"No. You are a bad person and you are at fault."

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

She had to have known, she was getting "widows pay" from Tony after he disappeared. What is she going to do? Go to the cops? Testify in open court that the head of the New Jersey mob took her husband for a ride and he never came back ? They never found a body or any evidence that Puss was actually murdered, there wouldn't be enough circumstantial evidence to bring Tony in for questioning, let alone an arrest and trial. Every single one Tony's subordinates would have lied for him.

She grew up in the life and she knows what happened, but she was over the marriage anyway. Might as well get something out of it.

Yeah I guess I’m trying to reconcile how on further watch it was entirely clear (to Angie) what happened to Pussy and yet they never really address it in the show. Angie’s post-Pussy life is actually handled really well in the show but I do wish they made it more explicit that she knew, especially since as you said, she would’ve been happy he was gone anyways.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone knew what "went into witness protection" meant. It's seriously only Jackie Jr and Adriana that didn't. Maybe the younger kids wouldn't get it, but besides those few examples everyone gets that they were killed, they just didn't want to know by who/why.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Your Gay Uncle posted:

One of the best scenes in the whole series is when Melfi sends Carmela to her old psychology professor and he just lays out in no uncertain terms that if she doesn't take her children and leave Tony immediately that she was complicit in all his crimes and the blood money she has will destroy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzVeLjj6Ao8

"Take only the children - what's left of them- and go!"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vichan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzVeLjj6Ao8

"Take only the children - what's left of them- and go!"

Whoever uploaded that used the word 'moralised' in the title. :allears:

I'll never cease to be amazed at the hordes of people who love this show because they idolise the villains.

The amount of people who insisted that Adriana got what was coming to her back in the day was astounding.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think one of the better brief storylines was when Gene was trying to get out of the life to save his son/family and retire and both the government and the family refused to let him go. Killing himself really was the best solution to the problem to get his son help and his family far away from all the problems.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Definitely time for a re-watch. I've posted this before, but why not again: I love remembering how I got into this show. I never had cable, much less HBO, so from 99-2003 the only time I ever caught this show was when I went on business trips and stayed in a hotel, which only happened maybe twice a year. And it was like clockwork, it'd always be on at some point during my evening hotel downtime. Every time I caught it, even having zero idea who anyone was or what the story arcs were, I was completely drawn in and hooked. I'd never had a show be so naturally good before. So when I signed up for Netflix in 2004, the first thing I did was binge the first three seasons, and everything made sense. Such a great show.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I actually didn’t catch up with the broadcasts until like season 4 or so. I bought the first few seasons on dvd.

I was surprised to learn that the Danielle character (the undercover FBI agent) was originally played by a different actress at the end of season 3 and they actually refilmed those scenes for the subsequent re-airings.

I think Seinfeld did that with George’s dad too, ended up refilming scenes with Jerry Stiller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

It was only on my second watch that I realised Carmela knows just about everything. She never believed that any of those people had vanished into witness protection.

When Angie Bonpensiero complains about her situation (the scene in the supermarket), Carmela knows exactly what she's doing when she tells Tony.

Later, she encourages Rosalie Aprile to have a moan about the death of Jackie Jr, because they both know he wasn't killed by black drug dealers (to quote the show). Aprile is too smart to say anything, perhaps because she knows Carmela will report it back to Tony.

This all passed me by on my first watch.