Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So far this game seems to be mostly cutscene. Please tell me it improves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It improves as soon as you get to the Volga section, about two hours in.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

The Locator posted:

Nope, I lost a dude in the very first zone getting the train across the bridge. I assume because of my one kill on a surrendered guy which is when I discovered that mattered. I rescued the slaves. Forest kids... do they include the pirates or only the pioneers? I snuck my way through the pioneer village/outpost, but I murdered the gently caress out of the pirate encampment with my sniper rifle.

It was a pretty great game regardless of the ending I got!

Edit: In the forest kids area I also slaughtered everyone that moved (until they surrendered) in the very first part, because they were trying really hard to kill me when I hadn't done anything at all to them.

Yes you did several bad things.

If you do an action and a white flash with kids laughing plays out you gained good karma, if the screen darkens with a red tint and spooky musical sting you did a bad thing. Not sure on the official math but if people lust for good ending you need to usually do less spooky musical sting actions than good ones.

Also it is extremely simple to tell what you can and can't kill. Your cross hair turns bright red for things that are probably okay to murder, if it remains yellow you might lose karma for it and if it is green then you REALLY should not kill it. And never not kill tunnel trash.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

So far this game seems to be mostly cutscene. Please tell me it improves?

The game favours too much exposition over too little, that’s for sure. The gameplay gets going once you get the train but there is a ton of optional dialogue you can stand around and listen to in the train or in the zones if you want to.

Also it may just be because I’m playing on normal but my I’ve never really found myself running out of regular ammo enough to really need the Tihar that much. And if I do a workbench usually isn’t that far away.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OK I probably shouldn't kill my father-in-law but he just admitted to being one of the psychotic lunatics trying to continue the War. I really, really don't feel like taking any orders from him.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

OK I probably shouldn't kill my father-in-law but he just admitted to being one of the psychotic lunatics trying to continue the War. I really, really don't feel like taking any orders from him.

Story is good, keep playing, keep listening to as many conversations you can stomach.

Feonir posted:

Also it is extremely simple to tell what you can and can't kill. Your cross hair turns bright red for things that are probably okay to murder, if it remains yellow you might lose karma for it and if it is green then you REALLY should not kill it. And never not kill tunnel trash.

This is mostly true, sometimes though in a "story" combat set, even though your crosshairs turn red, you might just want to knock them out depending on context of the situation and who you are dealing with. Does someone who is fooled/brainwashed deserve to have a few new air holes? No, not really. But boy howdy did I wish I could put a bullet in the cult leader while on my way out.

I never let a bandit live, not even surrendered ones, they just died more personally. Death to tunnel trash. About the only complaint have about the game is that there wasn't enough "bandits" so I could just go ham. Whole lot of people you shouldn't kill though. especially on the second half of the game. After the desert

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Feonir posted:

You lose your crosshairs when you have lasers... always have lasers. :v:

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

The Locator posted:

You lose your crosshairs when you have lasers... always have lasers. :v:

"less gadgets less problems" :dance:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

haldolium posted:

"less gadgets less problems" :dance:

Lasers are cool. Always be cool. :clint:

E: Now that I've actually finished a game, I might start again and play on a non-easy difficulty setting and see how far I get. Or I might not... I'm not huge on repeating games, but I know I missed a ton of notes and postcards. Hell, I didn't know postcards existed until I found one by accident in the 2nd area.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Head's up that a patch dropped today that includes a DLSS improvement for those of us with RTX cards.

It looks vastly better, to the point where I can't tell a different between DLSS and TAA @ 1440P. Granted I'm only in the Caspian level and in the underground section, but the reports from around the internet are pretty favorable. I think it's worth trying out - the noticeable smearing is gone.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does the patch totally get rid of the blur? The only thing I really noticed with DLSS was a hefty smear of vaseline over the picture.

Edit: Oops, read you answered my question before I asked it.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Here are the patch notes.

https://www.metrothegame.com/news/patch-notes-pc-hotfix/

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Oh god the in-game version #s are different between Steam and Epic Game Store. That's going to confuse people for sure

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

I said come in! posted:

I would think the next consoles would have raytracing? :kiddo:

Where did you get that from?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Lambert posted:

No, there's pretty much zero chance of PS5/Nextbox having useful ray tracing support. AMD doesn't have any ray tracing support right now, and even if they had, the performance impact on the 2080 Ti is immense. All I could imagine is some token feature for marketing reasons.

Lars Weinand, NVIDIAs highest rep in Germany and one of the Senior European Product Managers told last week that Sony and MS did not want to cooperate with Nvidia and AMD has no Raytracing tech for GPUs right now.
This will be entertaining because especially Metro Exodus proves that Global Illumination adds so much more realism and immersion.
Weinand felt it was a wrong business decision, of course.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mr.PayDay posted:

Where did you get that from?

Just super wild assumptions. Don't read too much into what I just said. Microsoft and Sony apparently have something planned for 2021 or so, I would think that would mean including any super fancy graphical effects between now and then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Most of the ray tracing examples in that video just sorta look like a gamma adjustment to me lol. Like, the initial part linked is like "woah" but the rest of them barely look different tbh. Maybe I'm just blind.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Just super wild assumptions. Don't read too much into what I just said. Microsoft and Sony apparently have something planned for 2021 or so, I would think that would mean including any super fancy graphical effects between now and then.

New consoles are coming in 2020 and won't include raytracing. You can pretty much bet on that.

Mr.PayDay posted:

Lars Weinand, NVIDIAs highest rep in Germany and one of the Senior European Product Managers told last week that Sony and MS did not want to cooperate with Nvidia and AMD has no Raytracing tech for GPUs right now.
This will be entertaining because especially Metro Exodus proves that Global Illumination adds so much more realism and immersion.
Weinand felt it was a wrong business decision, of course.

Interesting. But I'd say the performance/die size impact alone makes raytracing not feasible for next gen at the moment, even if AMD had the tech.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 22, 2019

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

The Ray Tracing for this game is only with the lightning and not reflections right? Cause im seeing weird artifacts when viewing water reflections from certain angles. BFV's reflections are insane and really noticeable with RTX, you can see your own face in a shiny gun

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well that was fun. I got stuck in some rocks in the desert and hadn’t quick saved in a while so I try to work myself out but can’t. I go to reload the auto save and just before I hit escape I see the numbers pop up. Saved me stuck in the rock. Time to go back to the start of the comm centre.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kibayasu posted:

Well that was fun. I got stuck in some rocks in the desert and hadn’t quick saved in a while so I try to work myself out but can’t. I go to reload the auto save and just before I hit escape I see the numbers pop up. Saved me stuck in the rock. Time to go back to the start of the comm centre.

This is something I'm frequently worried about since the higher difficulties don't even let you quicksave.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They were rocks I was 99% certain wouldn’t have had anything “inside” them, a demon nest in fact, but the map had a ? there that wasn’t getting revealed so I got as close as I could :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The ? mark reveals seem way too hard to trigger sometimes. I also don't understand why a group of mutants sometimes qualifies as a point of interest. There's one on the east side that is a few mutant mole hills and I thought maybe I had to blow them up or something but it was just an enemy spawn and the question mark only revealed that randomly after 10 minutes of loving around. No loot or anything.

But yeah. I don't get why the game only allows a single save in the first place.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I picked up a guitar and a teddy bear, how do I turn them in to the people that asked for them?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Lone Badger posted:

I picked up a guitar and a teddy bear, how do I turn them in to the people that asked for them?

Nastya will ask you for the teddy bear right after you return to the Aurora with the railcar. That's when you can return the guitar as well.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 22, 2019

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

I gave the teddy but had to go and speak with miller before it let me give the guitar.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FYI if you find your flashlight has stopped working it's because there's a glitch with the car. You have to get back in and cycle the headlights with F before it'll work again.

It was real fun killing a bunch of spiders with just my lighter.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Fallom posted:

FYI if you find your flashlight has stopped working it's because there's a glitch with the car. You have to get back in and cycle the headlights with F before it'll work again.

Sometimes your flashlight also stops working for other reasons. possibly spoilerish atmospheric detail High radiation areas can gently caress with your flashlight. You can tell this is happening because of the green flashes.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I really like the fact that there isn't (ending spoilerish) some crazy end game boss fight. It was the right decision imo bc it would make it too' video gamey' for the last area. The heavy atmosphere and story beats was enough to carry the ending through and I'm glad the devs were confident enough to go that way. The previous boss fight like the mutant bear was kinda boring anyway.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Fallom posted:

Do you mean the spiders in the desert?. Because as Hub Cat pointed out, there are other reasons and in particular the 2nd encouter deactives your flashlight on purpose. I tried reproducing that bug since you (?) first mentioned it here but I never encountered the issue myself

Noirex posted:

I really like the fact that there isn't (ending spoilerish) some crazy end game boss fight. It was the right decision imo bc it would make it too' video gamey' for the last area. The heavy atmosphere and story beats was enough to carry the ending through and I'm glad the devs were confident enough to go that way. The previous boss fight like the mutant bear was kinda boring anyway.

I agree. I did hate the bear. Not only because gamy boss fight, but also bad boss fight design. That and the fact that they take all your stuff away mid-game are absolute game design desasters. Never take away the players stuff, and don't do boss fights with invincible enemies that then run away after a certain damage threshold or die scripted. However all the great things they did otherwise made up for those two. Also the crossbow was kind of nice at least

The Locator posted:

Lasers are cool. Always be cool. :clint:

E: Now that I've actually finished a game, I might start again and play on a non-easy difficulty setting and see how far I get. Or I might not... I'm not huge on repeating games, but I know I missed a ton of notes and postcards. Hell, I didn't know postcards existed until I found one by accident in the 2nd area.

Actually yeah I agree. I just like that they've put that line into the game.

haldolium fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 22, 2019

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
The game rules and I think its going to be criminally underrated because of the Epic/Steam fiasco.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Noirex posted:

I liked it too. The encounter with the multiple Blind Ones functions as a pseudo-boss encounter. It gives you something to overcome while not stooping to some cliched end boss nonsense. Look at what happened when Bioshock shoe-horned in a traditional boss battle at the end of that game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

haldolium posted:

Do you mean the spiders in the desert?. Because as Hub Cat pointed out, there are other reasons and in particular the 2nd encouter deactives your flashlight on purpose. I tried reproducing that bug since you (?) first mentioned it here but I never encountered the issue myself

It's a known bug and there's another location with spiders besides the plot mission. Your flashlight will be disabled while you're running around the Caspian until you get in the car and toggle the headlights.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I really want a better revolver cylinder. Is there one on the first map?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

The Lone Badger posted:

Ya I ended up with three to choose from by the end of Volga

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

you can find all of them on the first map i believe, the best is an 8 shot DA cylinder

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just realized how good the revolver was last night after neglecting it for most of the game. I think it's my favorite gun atm. Also the Auto shotgun is shite compared to the A shot. Finally found the sniper scope just before rolling out of the desert too. Although I think I'd rather just use a snipered out revolver than the rifle, which is more fun and looks badass.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The revolver hits harder than the rifle, so it is my choice for a sniper rifle.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how scary are the metro games? I've wanted to play them and exodus looks dope, but im a huge baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

queeb posted:

how scary are the metro games? I've wanted to play them and exodus looks dope, but im a huge baby.

How do you feel about spiders?