Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Giga Gaia posted:

does it make a difference if i felt really guilty when i remembered they were there?

Well, that is what that resurrect command is for, although I am not sure if the small quest they are a part of fails if one/all of them die before the quest officially starts. Fixing that might take some more advanced console commands however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Old Boot posted:

Willow is cringey as gently caress, don't get the Willow mod.

EDIT: by which I mean she's a purestrain waifu mod.

I guess it can be, but it doesn't have to be. There is the option to make her nude and sex her and all that stuff, but you can just as easily turn it down when it comes to that.

IMO Willow is a great companion with a decent (be it not very deep) backstory and offers a whole bunch of side quests and fun content. I care very little for the whole romance branch in her quest line, and I still enjoyed running around the Mojave with her.

The same author also made a companion mod for Fallout 4 called Heather, which admittedly toned down the 'waifu' stuff quite a bit as far as I can tell.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

megalodong posted:

willow reminds me of the saerileth mod for baldur's gate 2, which you all should look up if you've never seen it.

is that the mod with a romanceable 14 year old paladin

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I got Willow and basically just used her as a way to pad out my unlimited companions mod so I had a giant party blasting through everything and carrying thousands of pounds of loot. I completely ignored all of her friendship and romance options.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

drkeiscool posted:

is that the mod with a romanceable 14 year old paladin

IIRC, she is also from glorious not-Japan and if you cheat on her she dies of a broken heart.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Legion run is going great. I finally had an IC excuse to murder the Bright Brotherhood instead of doing a really long set of quests to advance.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The only interesting NPC in 3 is Moria. Even the named NPCs who don't have a quest in New Vegas have at least an attempt at giving them a bit of personality. Rotface has more character than most of the Fallout 3 lot, and his side quest is literally broken.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I find it hilarious how generic East Coast Brotherhood actually is, down to most of them having the same voice actor.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
East Coast Brotherhood didn't get interesting until Fallout 4, when you see what an unfettered West Coast Brotherhood would look like without all their rules and regulations. Techno-fascist warrior monks all the way down.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

chitoryu12 posted:

Legion run is going great. I finally had an IC excuse to murder the Bright Brotherhood instead of doing a really long set of quests to advance.

why would a legionnaire want to help Novac?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

SeanBeansShako posted:

I find it hilarious how generic East Coast Brotherhood actually is, down to most of them having the same voice actor.

STEEL BE WITH YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Old Boot posted:

STEEL BE WITH YOU

I cannot for the life of me begin to describe how much contempt I have for that line alone.

Encountering East Coast BoS crystallized that moment that I was 1000% positive the one-note dipshits in the writers room looked blankly at each other and said 'uhh so we're out of ideas how about we just cut and paste lines from Elder Scrolls?'

'Sacred steel,' get the gently caress out of here.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
If it's any consolation, I'm pretty sure even Bethesda hates that line, because no one ever says it in Fallout 4.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

JawKnee posted:

why would a legionnaire want to help Novac?

The way I'm roleplaying it is a Frumentarius who was assigned to kill and replace Courier Six to get his hands on the platinum chip, but got intercepted by Benny by Goodsprings. So he still needs to track down Benny, which means doing what he needs to convince other people to give up info.

Since he's supposed to be undercover, he also doesn't just run around slaughtering everyone in the NCR. He's just manipulating events to put Caesar in power and eventually overtake the NCR at the dam, which sometimes means aiding the enemy to gain their trust or get something beneficial.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

chitoryu12 posted:

The way I'm roleplaying it is a Frumentarius who was assigned to kill and replace Courier Six to get his hands on the platinum chip, but got intercepted by Benny by Goodsprings. So he still needs to track down Benny, which means doing what he needs to convince other people to give up info.

Since he's supposed to be undercover, he also doesn't just run around slaughtering everyone in the NCR. He's just manipulating events to put Caesar in power and eventually overtake the NCR at the dam, which sometimes means aiding the enemy to gain their trust or get something beneficial.

Be sure to trick Boone into shooting Manny after you get the info you need out of him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

Be sure to trick Boone into shooting Manny after you get the info you need out of him.

I didn’t even think of that!

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

ah finally a nuclear winter

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Huh, don't see that every day.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

call on meeeeeee

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I still haven't made it to Goodsprings yet, but last week I visited Hoover Dam for the first time. You can see what architectural details they referenced for the in-game version, which is neat. The game really undersells how dramatic your approach to it is, though, which is a bit of a shame. You descend this steep ravine surrounded by power transmission towers and wires, pass through a security checkpoint with grumpy dudes checking out your car, go through a bunch of hairpin turns at like five miles an hour, and you only actually see the dam itself at the last moment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been thinking about the quest Hard Luck Blues after finishing it again and Vault 34 is a weird one. So, fifty years beforehand, the Boomers broke out of the vault and headed for Nellis AFB. Chris Haversam talks about how he grew up in Vault 34 and only left recently because he was going bald and was convinced he was now a ghoul. But when you go to the vault, it looks like the massive uprising that killed most everyone else happened years ago. There are skeletons everywhere and the inhabitants you meet have all been exposed to radiation long enough to have gone feral. The Overseer's journals and the computer terminals make it seem like the uprising took place years ago, which makes sense with Boomers but doesn't make much sense with Chris or the other people who apparently still live in the Vault. How did Chris leave, exactly, if the entrance to the Vault was overrun by Geckos and feral ghouls? The reactor was on the ghoul infested side of the Vault and controls could only be rerouted to the other side from the reactor itself. The SOS message also doesn't really give a timestamp, so is there any reason that the Courier should believe other people are still alive on the other edge of the vault? How did they even get out? Does 34 have a backdoor somewhere?

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've been thinking about the quest Hard Luck Blues after finishing it again and Vault 34 is a weird one. So, fifty years beforehand, the Boomers broke out of the vault and headed for Nellis AFB. Chris Haversam talks about how he grew up in Vault 34 and only left recently because he was going bald and was convinced he was now a ghoul. But when you go to the vault, it looks like the massive uprising that killed most everyone else happened years ago. There are skeletons everywhere and the inhabitants you meet have all been exposed to radiation long enough to have gone feral. The Overseer's journals and the computer terminals make it seem like the uprising took place years ago, which makes sense with Boomers but doesn't make much sense with Chris or the other people who apparently still live in the Vault. How did Chris leave, exactly, if the entrance to the Vault was overrun by Geckos and feral ghouls? The reactor was on the ghoul infested side of the Vault and controls could only be rerouted to the other side from the reactor itself. The SOS message also doesn't really give a timestamp, so is there any reason that the Courier should believe other people are still alive on the other edge of the vault? How did they even get out? Does 34 have a backdoor somewhere?

i remember being confused about this, but then i read something (can't remember what) that clarified it: the boomers left and the overseer threw a fit and doubled down on not letting anyone else leave. years later, just as the game is starting, there's a second uprising because of the resulting overpopulation issues, and the reactor getting damaged and turning most of the vault dwellers into ghouls is the inciting incident for hard luck blues.

i think it's probably because the graphics and aesthetics of the game/engine don't necessarily lend themselves to making stark differentiation between old decay and new, so visually it looks the same as any other destroyed vault. my first playthough i didn't even realize you could save the people still trapped in there until i got a karma hit for killing them. i just assumed they terminal entries were from that first uprising and they were already dead, but that was not the case. sorry, vault 34 people.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even then, I rarely save the Vault dwellers, because Vegas needs the sharecropper farms to survive, while there isn't a guarantee that the Vault Dwellers are even alive.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Arcsquad12 posted:

IIRC, the out-of-game explanation is that Come Fly With Me was one of the first quests they wrote and designed, with Novac being the first area on the map, so Chris was written before the backstory of Vault 34 was completely nailed down—and then later, when they were designing Vault 34, they either didn't think or didn't have time to go back and change Chris' dialogue to better reflect the nature of the Vault as it appears in the game.

As to the rest of it... yeah, it's kind of a mess. I really do like that little bit of reactivity with the family showing up in Aerotech Office Park, but on the whole having any survivors outside of the Boomers doesn't fit at all with the current state of the Vault.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Played NV numerous times and don't think I've ever heard of/played this Hard Luck Blues quest. How do you get it? I've always been good to the Boomers, but don't remember this quest being handed out.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

chaosapiant posted:

Played NV numerous times and don't think I've ever heard of/played this Hard Luck Blues quest. How do you get it? I've always been good to the Boomers, but don't remember this quest being handed out.

You have to go to the sharecropper farms which are near New Vegas/Freeside and someone there complains about trouble with the water pipes, which eventually leads you to Vault 34.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can also get it by fixing the computer terminal in the East Cistern (slightly west of the Aerotech Office Park) which gives you a warning about radiation contaminating the water.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Wicked Them Beats posted:

You have to go to the sharecropper farms which are near New Vegas/Freeside and someone there complains about trouble with the water pipes, which eventually leads you to Vault 34.

drat, not sure I ever did that. I remember combing the desert during my shoulder surgery/Percocet days where I binged on video games, but that one eludes me. Time for another replay!

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

drat, not sure I ever did that. I remember combing the desert during my shoulder surgery/Percocet days where I binged on video games, but that one eludes me. Time for another replay!

I completely missed that whole area, Aerotech Park, Westside, and The Thorn in my first playthrough. Feels like I stumble across something new to me every time I play.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I completely missed that whole area, Aerotech Park, Westside, and The Thorn in my first playthrough. Feels like I stumble across something new to me every time I play.

Aerotech Park....that doesn't sound familiar either. That's not the same as "ghouls go to space" quest is it?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

chaosapiant posted:

Aerotech Park....that doesn't sound familiar either. That's not the same as "ghouls go to space" quest is it?

No it's an office park near Vegas that I somehow missed on my first 4 playthroughs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

It really does impress me just how much the devs crammed into the map. While unfortunately many of the locations are under-utilized, it's still absolutely wild just how many places there are across the map—Crescent Canyon, the sewers, the cave inside Lake Mead—that the vast majority of players will never see, even amongst those who've played the game a half-dozen times.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Nope, the ghouls are at Repconn near Novac. Aerotech Office Park is a settlement near the sharecropper farms that has a small handful of NPCs and quests.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It really does impress me just how much the devs crammed into the map. While unfortunately many of the locations are under-utilized, it's still absolutely wild just how many places there are across the map—Crescent Canyon, the sewers, the cave inside Lake Mead—that the vast majority of players will never see, even amongst those who've played the game a half-dozen times.

Speaking of sewers, are there any major quest chains down there? I've explored a bit, but don't remember much reason other than initiative to go down there.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah took me something like four playthroughs before I saw everything, and for all I know I still missed something. I love Obsidian even if they are betraying me by being best friends with Epic.

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of sewers, are there any major quest chains down there? I've explored a bit, but don't remember much reason other than initiative to go down there.

You can find the Humble Cudgel down there, but otherwise I think it's just lots of rats and ghouls.

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/The_Humble_Cudgel

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chaosapiant posted:

The Sewers had two sections cut from the main game that was supposed to make getting the Humble Cudgel more difficult. There's also cut content from The Moon Comes Over the Tower where you were supposed to find a number of terminals around Vegas with Mr House Override Codes. They're still in the game but they don't do anything, and one of them can be found in the Central Sewers.

Apart from finding the unique melee pipe the Humble Cudgel, the sewers mainly act as a means of getting around the map faster since they condense the space between manhole covers.

I always find it interesting when I read about places other players have never went to. I've always stopped to check out Aerotech and the Sharecroppers because when I head to New Vegas I go straight north from 188 to the Grub and Gulp and then continue heading north until I hit Crimson Caravan, and all that stuff is only slightly west of the road. It's also great because you can find one of the ambushed caravans you investigate with Cass and you can get some early combat armor off of the Van Graff corpses.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 30, 2019

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Sewers had two sections cut from the main game that was supposed to make getting the Humble Cudgel more difficult. There's also cut content from The Moon Comes Over the Tower where you were supposed to find a number of terminals around Vegas with Mr House Override Codes. They're still in the game but they don't do anything, and one of them can be found in the Central Sewers.

Apart from finding the unique melee pipe the Humble Cudgel, the sewers mainly act as a means of getting around the map faster since they condense the space between manhole covers.

I always find it interesting when I read about places other players have never went to. I've always stopped to check out Aerotech and the Sharecroppers because when I head to New Vegas I go straight north from 188 to the Grub and Gulp and then continue heading north until I hit Crimson Caravan, and all that stuff is only slightly west of the road. It's also great because you can find one of the ambushed caravans you investigate with Cass and you can get some early combat armor off of the Van Graff corpses.

This is my strategy as well, and typically will use that gear to gamble my face off to get the + intelligence implant. poo poo is so cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I've somehow missed Westside and North Vegas every time I've played, except this last one. The underutilized comment is very true though. You can stuff a lot more content into most of the areas in the game if you tried.