Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

dogstile posted:

Considering everyone seems to be really into being a genocidal maniac, they're probably just doing what people already seem to like.

Paradox has said a few times that xenophile is the most popular ethos so I think people are mainly talking up a big game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Many of you have seen me post about being unhappy with orbital deposits so I'm trying to make a mod, even if it is just for myself as a learning experience. I dont want to poo poo up this thread any more than I already do by posting more, with questions about making the mod, so I made a thread on the paradox forums about it, including a poll about having more orbital resources show up.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah 1UPT was a mistake. Not because it's inherently bad, I need think it was actually a good move, but they needed way more tiles per map to give you any room to maneouvre at all. And then the tile yields were so low you were better off packing in cities ICS style, which only made things worse. The fact that they never bothered to fix it is insane.

Again, tip of that hat to the Paradox crew for remaking Stellaris twice over.
I agree with all of this 100%. I may gripe once in a while about certain parts of games but Paradox really is a class act that more development companies need to learn from.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Paradox has said a few times that xenophile is the most popular ethos so I think people are mainly talking up a big game.

I'm immediately skeptical of their findings seeing as Xenophile is one of the ethics on "default humans," so there's probably some significant skew from people who are just starting, and are doing some combination of picking the most familiar thing or what looks like the default for a first play through. This is assuming these metrics are trolled from the game itself and not survey data, and that Paradox didn't think of/put the time into correcting this because it honestly isn't a super important thing to be accurate about.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Warmachine posted:

I'm immediately skeptical of their findings seeing as Xenophile is one of the ethics on "default humans," so there's probably some significant skew from people who are just starting, and are doing some combination of picking the most familiar thing or what looks like the default for a first play through. This is assuming these metrics are trolled from the game itself and not survey data, and that Paradox didn't think of/put the time into correcting this because it honestly isn't a super important thing to be accurate about.
Paradox knows by looking at game data, not from polls. They also look at how long games last, not just 'did the player start a game with this this'.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Warmachine posted:

I pretty much live in the Rimworld thread, and warcrimes seem to be a common thread among strategy game enthusiasts. I don't get it personally. I was never cruel to my Sims.

Yeah this game has an entire expansion centered around being able to blow up worlds, and it's considered a must-have

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
In hundreds of hours of Stellaris I have never played a xenophobic or authoritarian race, nor a devouring swarm.

I can't invested in trying to make a an evil empire successful :|

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I don't really care to go out of my play at being the baddies, it's just not a fantasy I've ever had.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
I mostly play Assimilators, but don't worry, I mostly only assimilate you if there's poo poo I want in your empire's space.

... My precursor system spawned in your empire? Welp, sucks to be you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Blorange posted:

That sounds like your federation partner claimed the home system of a life-seeded empire.

Well it just happened again last night. The Great Khan came and went, resulting in 2 new empires. I (not in a federation) attacked one of them, won the war while claiming some territory, and then suddenly the rest of their territory went neutral. I don't think that I took their only planet, but I don't have a way of going back to confirm.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Majestic posted:

In hundreds of hours of Stellaris I have never played a xenophobic or authoritarian race, nor a devouring swarm.

i played a driven purifier through random one time. and i felt good that i felt viscerally bad from exterminating all the pops on various conquered planets. the khan ended up wiping me out--thereby saving the galaxy--which made for a very concise conclusion to the experience.

Zane fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 22, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Honestly I think my favorite run ever in this game was my Purifier-before-there-were-Purifiers run back in 1.2 or something. Civics weren't a thing yet, so I was technically just a regular empire, but that didn't stop my from purging every other sapient race in the galaxy, and then purging my own race just for funsies.

There's a picture in one of the old threads, I think I might actually have been amongst the first to do so.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
yeah it's actually a very different and interesting strategic experience to be at war with everyone else. you have localized advantages from your combat bonuses which you have to manage very carefully.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

New Horizons is finally updating for 2.2 tomorrow, just in case anyone else here has been curious about how the Ferengi will play as a megacorp.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't even understand how people can make themselves play genocidal empires. The first and last time I tried playing one (exterminators), the first event about my robots killing all native life on a planet made me so sad I went back to my xenophile science empires and never looked back.

Evil empires are there so you have interesting enemies to destroy, playing as one is just incredibly boring and tedious

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You play devouring swarm. It's not good. It's not evil either. It just a little bit peckish.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why do devouring swarms talk to you? Opening the diplomacy menu should just get you a screen full of wriggling tendrils and incoherent shrieking.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Why do devouring swarms talk to you? Opening the diplomacy menu should just get you a screen full of wriggling tendrils and incoherent shrieking.

Now I want a "Dawn Hunter"-version of the exterminators where it's just creepy binary screeching at you if you open the diplomacy screen. :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm playing a race of "definitely not chryssalids" right now. Genocide isn't just on the menu, it's the whole thing.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Majestic posted:

I play baddies to get the achievements because they're all I've got left to get other than the really random ones.
Devouring Swam is fun because it changes the mechanics but I find it hard to play anyone with slaves.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I don't even understand how people can make themselves play genocidal empires. The first and last time I tried playing one (exterminators), the first event about my robots killing all native life on a planet made me so sad I went back to my xenophile science empires and never looked back.

Evil empires are there so you have interesting enemies to destroy, playing as one is just incredibly boring and tedious

It helps if you don't think of xenos as people. Fanatic Purifiers don't think they're evil after all, they think the rest of the universe just needs to be cleansed.

Now I want to play a race based on Marie Kondo, eliminating all the xenos that don't spark joy.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Libluini posted:

Good empires are there so you have interesting enemies to consume

Although I do actually enjoy the diplomacy system but at the same time I like playing as, like, The Empire, enslaving the lesser races and being Galaxy's Biggest Dick. It's the only thing that prevents me from creating an evil space empire in real life

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You can kind of play nice guy authoritarians now. The aim is to work toward academic privilege with all the grunt work performed by droids and 100% employment otherwise.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

It helps if you don't think of xenos as people. Fanatic Purifiers don't think they're evil after all, they think the rest of the universe just needs to be cleansed.

Now I want to play a race based on Marie Kondo, eliminating all the xenos that don't spark joy.

I tend to think of even devouring swarms as people. Weird, hostile people, but still people. Everyone in my empires is always sad when we have to scour them from the universe and slave-shielding their last world.

Man, now I wish Paradox would finally fix this weird slow-down in 2.2.5, so I could get back to playing. :(

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

So I droids tech but my robots are still robots. Do they not automatically upgrade to droids or how do I manually do it?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Droids just gives your robots a boost and expands their available jobs now.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Axetrain posted:

So I droids tech but my robots are still robots. Do they not automatically upgrade to droids or how do I manually do it?
Yeah I initially was confused by that too.... like Splicer said, they just have access to more jobs now. Their names/designation/appearance doesnt change.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think they get an additional 10% resource bonus too.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Xenophiles are the best because I can basically imagine my empire as being one nonstop Star Wars cantina scene.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm always amazed at the amount of carebears when this topic comes up. Why wouldn't you want to play a race of genocidal maniacs that conquer the earth/the galaxy/whatever? It's not real you guys/girls, you are allowed to be an rear end in a top hat in games. (Single player anyway, multiplayer can be different.)

And since Beyond Earth came up, I have to wonder what Paradox would do with a concept like that.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

uXs posted:

I'm always amazed at the amount of carebears when this topic comes up. Why wouldn't you want to play a race of genocidal maniacs that conquer the earth/the galaxy/whatever? It's not real you guys/girls, you are allowed to be an rear end in a top hat in games. (Single player anyway, multiplayer can be different.)

And since Beyond Earth came up, I have to wonder what Paradox would do with a concept like that.

Because it's fun to create a utopian society and try to Make Things Better :shobon:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

uXs posted:

It's nice to be nice and being mean feels mean

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
Lol just lol if you don’t trample lesser technologies under foot.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

There's 2 ways to play

1: Play it like an RTS you are tasked with killing everyone else and don't care what they do (this is standard first reaction)

2: Storytelling / roleplaying. Take some traits and go with it. Your species can evolve and learn as well. Maybe you start and are nice towards outside species get backstabbed by a few allies and turn xenophobic, maybe THE WORM compels you to eradicate all life, maybe you stick with what you started.

Civ is generally trying to pick up more of the 1st type of player and Stellaries the 2nd type.

Start out by creating a backstory (much like you would a DnD character) then figure out the story you want to tell. The AI is trying to stop you from telling your story. The fun is dealing with the AI and the events that prevent you from telling your story. You end up with something close, but not at all what you planned.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Captain Oblivious posted:

Because it's fun to create a utopian society and try to Make Things Better :shobon:

You know the Space Fascists feel the same, just in their own special way. :shobon:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Since we are in the topic of space assholery, I want to try a game doing some of that since nihilistic acquisition is OP. I've been tinkering about trying for a "Space Sparta" sort of deal, so: fanatic militarist, authoritarian, slaver guilds, citizen service?

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

uXs posted:

You can still take over the galaxy and then go hang out and have drinks with your weird smelly alien friends.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
I have equal fun as egalitarian xenophiles, fanatical purifiers, hive minds, and driven assimilators. And that's ok.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Just like there are DnD campaigns played that turn into negotiations of land rights and peace summits. There are games where you are just a band of murder hobos.

Both are perfectly acceptable. In DnD and in Stellaris.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Guys, if you've read The Dark Forest, you'll know that the only rational and ethical response to discovering intelligent life is to try to kill it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

dude you got to do space fuckery in order to learn how they operate

how the hell my full luxury automated space gay communism can fight those trashbags otherwise????