Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Randaconda posted:

Or just send Hulk home. You're still paying him, but at least he isn't loving up the shows, too.

I guess. I have a feeling he would insist on showing up during high rating periods and beating top guys though.

Maybe I just give him a vanity title and let him wrestle Old guys for it unattached to everything else. Mix some Kevin Sullivan style Hogan booking with the new Galaxy title. It's bigger than the World see, so it's more important.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Aye Doc posted:

and since you are Vince Russo, you absolutely need to fire yourself
You are a spirit that has possessed Vince Russo's body. If you succeed, you will be given the body of the wrestler of your choice. If you fail, you will move on to possess a random Mulkey Brother.

Randaconda posted:

Or just send Hulk home. You're still paying him, but at least he isn't loving up the shows, too.
Yeah, I think it would genuinely be a better option to send Hogan and Nash home and keep paying them. Granted, you preferably would have done this to Nash in '98. (Good luck getting that past corporate, though.)

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lotta just going "Oh yeah it's very easy to write a 3 hour wrestling show every week".

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

If WCW had somehow stayed alive for two or so more years who do you think they would have gotten and how far in the company would they have made it? Do they build up to a Brock/Steiner main event match?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Lesnar was already under WWE contract when WCW died.

WCW would have probably looked a lot like 2010 TNA, just with different faces.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

NienNunb posted:

If WCW had somehow stayed alive for two or so more years who do you think they would have gotten and how far in the company would they have made it? Do they build up to a Brock/Steiner main event match?

they push Bob "the Beast" Sapp to the moon, and he and Steiner have a 5 star classic at the Georgia Dome for the belt

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Would a still alive WCW have used Okada better or worse than TNA?

Edit: I'd have released Hogan and Nash cause Vince would of signed them and it would of 100% lead to the hot Austin/Rock feud falling apart cause Hogan

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 22, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Lotta just going "Oh yeah it's very easy to write a 3 hour wrestling show every week".

Well, yeah, maybe, but it certainly didn't have to be as hard as they made it.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

It really depends on who ends up with the book. I think someone like Sullivan would have used Okada as a midcard act and maybe a token US Champion reign. Nash would have buried him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lesnar was already under WWE contract when WCW died.

WCW would have probably looked a lot like 2010 TNA, just with different faces.

I keep wondering how different history would have been if New Japan won the bidding war for Lesnar in 2000.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Halloween Jack posted:

You are a spirit that has possessed Vince Russo's body. If you succeed, you will be given the body of the wrestler of your choice. If you fail, you will move on to possess a random Mulkey Brother.

"Well it's a good thing too cause no one else has the Spauldings to save WCW! Now let me tell you about my 14 part match concept I call Strippers In Thongs On A Forklift With A Pole Attached And Both Wrestlers In Straightjackets With GWAR Performing In The Ring."

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
If that Douglas thing about Hall and Nash is true then lol. Just read a 99 observer where both say they hate him in a radio interview and would try to make sure he would never make it to WCW. I assume they did the "haha just working dude" they did with everyone and he bought it or just pretended to. Nash seemed really good at loving folks over and then playing the good guy.

But his body was just done by the end of 98. Douglas' body fell apart just when he got that WCW contract. He didn't need to work that rough, 99% of the fans just watched Francine during his matches anyway.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

WCW was very appealing to Shane Douglas because A) Vince Russo was booking and he liked pushing less well known wrestlers over veterans, and B) Paul Heyman owed him a poo poo ton of money and Turner Broadcasting never bounces checks

Even if he thought Hall and Nash would bury him, it wouldn't matter because Russo would book him, and he's still getting paid

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Are we talking about the exact moment when Nitro and WCW went downhill?
I pin it on the famous episode of Nitro with no wrestling in the first hour.
Or as it should be called "the famous episode of Nitro with no wrestling in the first hour, most of the main event scene flipping their Heel/Face alignment and months of storylines getting thrown out"
That was the moment when you're in the hotel with Nitro and it just collapses in the hallway and you have to call 911.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So, it's drat near impossible to sink a three-pointer for like, most people on the planet if they were alone in a gymnasium and had ten tries. Now imagine doing it in front of ten thousand people live in an arena and millions watching on TV, with a 7-foot dude waving his hands right in front of you, and it's a loving miracle anybody ever makes one.

Cool. Cool. I get it.

But people don't get to make millions doing that job for very long if they're expected to be able to make that shot, and can't, and they certainly don't do interviews after falling on their face trying to make that shot and explain how hard it is. We know it's hard. It's why you were paid a lot of money to do it.

And as annoying as it is listening to fans say "I could make that shot" when they absolutely couldn't, when somebody isn't being that person claiming they could do better and is just holding somebody to the standard of "maybe you should actually be decent at your job," and you respond "well you couldn't do any better?"

Yeah. I know. I was never paid millions to write three hours of TV every week.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Eric kinda showed he was just a one trick pony that caught lightning in a bottle with the NWO era, and too much politicking and creative control ensured that the guys that made the NWO happen were going to make sure they were the only ones at the top of the card.

Souled Out 99 happened in West Virginia and I hadn't watched the Nitro it happened, my dad had made a bunch of Wolfpac signs for me, I'd gotten some red and black chuck taylors and a Wolfpac shirt, and he had to break the news to me about their heel turn the next day because my bedtime was a very firm 9pm with no TV starting at 8:30. I was so upset but I was also a fan of Goldberg at the time so we made some last minute shopping for a Goldberg shirt and he made me a new sign "1-0: The streak starts HERE"

It wasn't really much longer after that I'd stopped watching WCW entirely and eventually WWE too (I missed the entire Invasion era and WM17)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RealFoxy posted:

Eric kinda showed he was just a one trick pony that caught lightning in a bottle with the NWO era, and too much politicking and creative control ensured that the guys that made the NWO happen were going to make sure they were the only ones at the top of the card.

He was also clearly too easy for the wrestlers to work. Bischoff was desperate to feel cool and getting to be part of the NWO was how he did that.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Spring Stampede 99 was a good PPV and the last good one until 2001.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
So is 1999 WCW the worst year in wrestling history considering artistically and financial damage? I mean there’s bad late AWA years but they weren’t really national or anything at that point or early 90s wcw had bad quality years but they were flatlined already.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Willninho posted:

So is 1999 WCW the worst year in wrestling history considering artistically and financial damage? I mean there’s bad late AWA years but they weren’t really national or anything at that point or early 90s wcw had bad quality years but they were flatlined already.

I remember we got late period AWA on ESPN in Ireland. They had reach at that point, but everything was so godawful. They just weren't imaginatively bad.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willninho posted:

Financially, yes, artistically... maybe? Some of the TNA years were pretty loving bad.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I thought 2000 was when they lost 60 million dollars and also put on the worst TV ever.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

LividLiquid posted:

So, it's drat near impossible to sink a three-pointer for like, most people on the planet if they were alone in a gymnasium and had ten tries. Now imagine doing it in front of ten thousand people live in an arena and millions watching on TV, with a 7-foot dude waving his hands right in front of you, and it's a loving miracle anybody ever makes one.

Cool. Cool. I get it.

But people don't get to make millions doing that job for very long if they're expected to be able to make that shot, and can't, and they certainly don't do interviews after falling on their face trying to make that shot and explain how hard it is. We know it's hard. It's why you were paid a lot of money to do it.

And as annoying as it is listening to fans say "I could make that shot" when they absolutely couldn't, when somebody isn't being that person claiming they could do better and is just holding somebody to the standard of "maybe you should actually be decent at your job," and you respond "well you couldn't do any better?"

Yeah. I know. I was never paid millions to write three hours of TV every week.

When someone says one of the first things they would do is a Vince Russo thing, then I have no problem going "You could not actually do better".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I don't think I could write a 3-hour show every week, but I could avoid doing the things Bischoff and Russo did out of sheer vanity. Don't threadcrap.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Willninho posted:

WCW in 2000 lost more money than 99. I'd say that Inokiism New Japan was more artistically damaging, but things have gotten a lot better since then

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

writing for wrestling is a net that a real writer only falls into after failing in their ambitions. the job should instead Go to "marks" who would feel very passionate about ceaseless rolling waves of the exact same lukewarm, trite garbage over and over every couple of years with no actual goal In sight. Companies that don't hire for the position of writer excluded

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I wanna say WWE was in talks with a well-regarded TV or comics writer to take over Creative at one point, and he bailed when he realized he'd be going into a lovely work environment where the workers hated him and management constantly hosed up everything he tried to do.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They've had people like Patrice O'Neal and Freddie Prinze Jr. on the writing team over the last fifteen years. There's an interview with Patrice shortly after Stephanie fired him where he spends a few minutes clowning on her, if I'm not mistaken.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Willninho posted:

2000 was much worse financially. Now they went from record profits to losses in 1999 but they lost 60 million in 2000. I think 1999 is a worse year creatively than 2000, but it's close. They lost so much money in 2000 that in terms of artistic and financial disaster combined it isn't even close. 2000 is king. They did so much damage in 2000 that even after drastic cost cutting they were still losing $500K a week in 2001.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They've had people like Patrice O'Neal and Freddie Prinze Jr. on the writing team over the last fifteen years. There's an interview with Patrice shortly after Stephanie fired him where he spends a few minutes clowning on her, if I'm not mistaken.

The story is that she bragged to Patrice about firing him and he gave so little of a poo poo that she called back later to make sure he knew he was fired and he still didn't give a poo poo.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 22, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yes, that's what it was, haha

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrBling posted:

Spring Stampede 99 was a good PPV and the last good one until 2001.
I was there, and it really was fantastic. Sting and Kidman were my favorite wrestlers at the time, and seeing them live was awesome, and Blitzkrieg had that amazing match and it was just really solid wrestling the whole night.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

LividLiquid posted:

It is not that hard to sink a three pointer in a gym by yourself, what are you talking about

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

It is not that hard to sink a three pointer in a gym by yourself, what are you talking about

Imagine if you were made of ham left out in the sun like 99% of Americans are

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

Imagine if you were made of ham left out in the sun like 99% of Americans are

Hey I was the star player in the first game of my basketball team that played at another school when I was 10. Surely that one game left some residual skills.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The story is that she bragged to Patrice about firing him and he gave so little of a poo poo that she called back later to make sure he knew he was fired and he still didn't give a poo poo.

Easiest way to offend a trust-fund baby is to remind them that their money and power means nothing

"Patrice...you're FIRED"

"Ok cool, thanks for the opportunity"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm nearing being caught up with B&V&C's Retro Raws an Nitros and I just listened to them review the first few of Russo's Nitro's. I wonder if anyone told Bryan 'you wished for this! You said the show was boring and you wished for Russo trainwrecks just for something exciting. Well now you got it."

Also I remember Bryan saying in Death of WCW that WCW vs. nWo World Tour or maybe Revenge is considered the best wrestling game ever. Having listened to dozens upon dozens of shows with him now, its' clear he doesn't like video games but Vinny and Craig both have fond memories of those N64 days. Maybe he got that opinion from one of them. I think WWF No Mercy is way better but, eh, what can you do. It came out later so it could do more.

But man WCW Mayhem was such poo poo,. The only good thing about it was listening to the entrance music. That was amazing in those pre-YoUTube days.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

WCW Nitro and Thunder for PS1 were a lot worse than Mayhem. Mayhem at least tried.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

No Mercy, World Tour, and Revenge were all made by the same people. If you like one of those, you'll probably like the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

No Mercy, World Tour, and Revenge were all made by the same people. If you like one of those, you'll probably like the others.

World Tour, Revenge, Wrestlemania 2000 and then No Mercy were made in that order, with pretty significant upgrades to each one down the line. 2000 had a Create A Belt mode, or maybe Create A PPV, I can't remember.

Someday I'll start that LP of every single licensed wrestling game, up until the first yearly branded WWF game.