Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Oh yeah lungs go over your ribs I forgot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's a great design.

Though because of its nature it would either have to be a puppet or mostly CG.

Both of which might actually work to further cement the cenobites' otherworldly nature.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bluedeanie posted:

Oh yeah lungs go over your ribs I forgot

Have their ribs forced apart like a maw, with the pulsating lung-breasts inside. Nobody custom text me that.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Neo Rasa posted:

Uh EXCUSE ME?

Ain't you all fancy with your special headcleaner tape with solution. Nothing wrong with popping the case off and manually cleaning the heads. Same with repairing videotape with a good sharp razor blade and scotch tape.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Because of that design I am struck by how later Hellraiser films, as early as the sequel, kind of forgot the design elements of the Cenobites are meant to suggest demonic leather daddies and BDSM freaks.

Like, by the third movie the cenobites are just "monsters" unless there is something kinky about having a camera head

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Because of that design I am struck by how later Hellraiser films, as early as the sequel, kind of forgot the design elements of the Cenobites are meant to suggest demonic leather daddies and BDSM freaks.

Like, by the third movie the cenobites are just "monsters" unless there is something kinky about having a camera head
HELLO LADIES

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Neo Rasa posted:

Uh EXCUSE ME?

Cleaning Tape Is Real

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

david_a posted:

HELLO LADIES

Each of those CD's contains the greatest love making songs of all time.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

TheKingslayer posted:

Each of those CD's contains the greatest love making songs of all time.

That’s right, seven CD’s worth of Tubthumping

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
One aspect I like about the Hellraiser movies is the semi-lovecraftian cosmology. It’d be neat to see more of how it bleeds into our world in weird ways, without over explaining it. The sequels just kind of fall back on the box-> demons -> death formula.

Then again maybe some of the straight to video sequels do go into that and I just don’t remember them.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It really seems like in a few instances writers or whoever made the Cenobites about obsession instead of their original themes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TheKingslayer posted:

It really seems like in a few instances writers or whoever made the Cenobites about obsession instead of their original themes.

I think at a certain point the concept behind the Cenobites just became the sort of generic "leather, white skin, mutilations" concept. There was no real desire to stick with the original theme of obsessive masochism and the melding of pain and pleasure until they were indistinguishable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

Yea, I kinda like it. In my imagination I see it as like various different realms of Leviathan's "kingdom" and each person spends time in whatever place fits their particular obsession. Like different levels of hell.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hellraiser is wild

https://cenobite.fandom.com/wiki/Cenobite_Bees

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

TheKingslayer posted:

Yeah if anything it takes a very Dantean view of Hell where your punishment is an ironic twist

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
For some reason it never occurred to me that Hellraiser would have a whole wiki site devoted to it, now I'm gonna end up going down that rabbit hole for hours.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

For some reason it never occurred to me that Hellraiser would have a whole wiki site devoted to it, now I'm gonna end up going down that rabbit hole for hours.

everything has a wiki devoted to it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

like check it out, I entered the first movie from the 80s I could think of and boom

https://krull.fandom.com/wiki/Krull_Wiki

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I just discovered it myself and some of these Cenobites are great.

https://cenobite.fandom.com/wiki/The_Boxer

Reminds me of the The Juggernaut from Thir13en ghosts

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

I just discovered it myself and some of these Cenobites are great.

https://cenobite.fandom.com/wiki/The_Boxer

Reminds me of the The Juggernaut from Thir13en ghosts

quote:

When a human boxer, known as The Champ, becomes obsessed with finding the ultimate opponent, he inadvertently solves the Lament Configuration while performing an intricate series of boxing maneuvers.

:hmmyes:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

glad I am not the only one who saw that

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean, speaking of the later movies and apparently the comics as well, doesn't the idea you can "accidentally" open the Lament configuration kind of go against the point of the first movie

Like, the whole creepy thing about the cenobites is that they are invited by willing participants

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, speaking of the later movies and apparently the comics as well, doesn't the idea you can "accidentally" open the Lament configuration kind of go against the point of the first movie

Like, the whole creepy thing about the cenobites is that they are invited by willing participants

Yeah “solving” the puzzle box is obviously trivial. Seeking it out is what should get you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Purely by accident, no. But Pinhead does say that they respond to "desire", and I think we can take that to mean the desire to reach that next level of whatever your obsession is, whatever the consequences. So a young girl just playing with the puzzle box for fun, having no motive whatsoever aside from just playing around with a puzzle, no that doesn't qualify.

Like with the Boxer, I'm imagining the box sitting on his shelf or something and responding to his boxing moves because of his obsession. Like, with each punch the box moves, and as the workout session gets more intense and the Boxer's thoughts become more and more obsessive the configuration gets closer and closer to completion.

Hellraiser is fun to theorize about.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah, it's supposed to be hard to figure out. The original Lemarchand's Box from the story is even completely smooth and has to be disassembled and reassembled by finding nearly imperceptible edges where it comes apart. It's stated to take a day or more even for someone clever who's trying to open the box just to complete the first step. You have to be completely willing to solve it to actually get on the path to solving it.

It's basically this, but played seriously:

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Fart City posted:

Hellraiser reboot chat a couple of days ago made me take a crack at my own Pinhead redesign. I wanted to do something really drastically different, but keeping in tone with the psychosexual aspects of the original. I started by pushing past the androgyny into something distinctly feminine. I ditched the black leather for muscle tissue to better keep consistent with the Frank/Julia resurrection effects. I also decided that the cenobites should literally look like they have been taken apart and put back together over-and-over again, so Pinhead is just a few hunks of skin nailed to a skeleton. Lastly, I reduced the amount of pins overall, made them bigger, and threaded them with barbed wire to make a "halo" of sorts.

If I'm remembering correctly, that actually looks pretty close to the way the original novella describes the appearance of the first cenobite. Also, I believe when she first appears to Frank, she's sitting on a mound of tongues. (One of my biggest regrets is that the only version of the book I ever owned was a digital copy for Palm OS of all things, because I wanted something to read on my shiny new Palm Pilot. I have no f'ing idea how to even find it now.)

More than a reboot, though, I'd be interested in an anthology series like the original comics from '89 to '92. They were much more in the spirit of the original story. Some of the cover art alone is pretty spectacular. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Hellraiser_Vol_1

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

the original theme of obsessive masochism and the melding of pain and pleasure until they were indistinguishable.

Yeah the issue I always had with this is that it all looked pretty much like pain to me, :laugh: Demons to some and angels to others? Sure, ok.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Purely by accident, no. But Pinhead does say that they respond to "desire", and I think we can take that to mean the desire to reach that next level of whatever your obsession is, whatever the consequences. So a young girl just playing with the puzzle box for fun, having no motive whatsoever aside from just playing around with a puzzle, no that doesn't qualify.

Like with the Boxer, I'm imagining the box sitting on his shelf or something and responding to his boxing moves because of his obsession. Like, with each punch the box moves, and as the workout session gets more intense and the Boxer's thoughts become more and more obsessive the configuration gets closer and closer to completion.

Hellraiser is fun to theorize about.

I was imagining he taped the box to a heavy bag and was just wailing on it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zwabu posted:

Yeah the issue I always had with this is that it all looked pretty much like pain to me, :laugh: Demons to some and angels to others? Sure, ok.

It's very much a book written by a guy who knows a lot about BDSM. If you're not familiar with kink, it's likely to just come off as bizarre or terrible.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Basebf555 posted:

She obviously has motive, but I liked how the protagonist of the first film opens it without the required ‘desire’ and the cenobites still show up.

I can just imagine somebody bored as hell loving around and solving the puzzle in their office cubicle and these abominations show up with promises of ultimate deprived pleasures and he/she just going, “Hell no, I was just sick of filing TPS reports. No obsession here. Also, yikes.”

Sensible chuckle at the mental image.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Yeah but even then, he is still not consciously seeking out the cenobites

Like, if someone said "do this maneuver and your ultimate opponent will come at the cost of your soul" and he was like "dope" that would be in line with the first movie

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It's very much a book written by a guy who knows a lot about BDSM. If you're not familiar with kink, it's likely to just come off as bizarre or terrible.

I had a friend for whom the kink part went completely over his head and he always asked why no one ever figured out how to open the box and summon heaven, its always these hell dudes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If any of y'all have Comixology Unlimited, there's a Hellraiser comic anthology on there that's seemingly out of print in dead trees and loving slaps

The Mike Mignola story in particular rules

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember Barker’s appearances on Loveline being good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

BotL once showed me a hilarious interview with Barker talking about Undying (amazing game btw) where he had to take the developers aside and explain no one would want to gently caress the protagonist they designed and that they needed to make a fuckable protagonist

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BotL once showed me a hilarious interview with Barker talking about Undying (amazing game btw) where he had to take the developers aside and explain no one would want to gently caress the protagonist they designed and that they needed to make a fuckable protagonist

Clive Barker rules.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow, what's the best movie that isn't Mandy to watch while the drugs wear off

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pomp posted:

I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow, what's the best movie that isn't Mandy to watch while the drugs wear off

Hausu

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

Dead Ringers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pomp posted:

Antibirth, Woodshock, Lost River, maybe Under The Skin?