Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

My favourite kind of person is the /lgbt/ brand of gay which is "I'm gay and... I HATE GAY CULTURE! That's very surprising huh? Yep I sure am edgy..." like okay that's a good replacement for an actual personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Srice posted:

I think my favorite thing about John Walker is how he is extremely opposed to the very concept of boss fights in video games and thinks many gamers also hate boss fights so why do video games have boss fights???

It’s really not a controversial thing to think that boss fights suck. It’s a pretty common complaint about games in general that they will deny you content if you’re not good enough to get past a sudden difficulty spike, coupled with the fact that generally the only response from people who can get past it is ‘lol git gud’.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Kim Justice posted:

In my experience I have found some people who do have basically no personality aside from being LGBTQ+.

I've had a similar experience back in my LGBT group in uni. You had gay guys whose sole identity seemed to be act like the biggest gay stereotype, made unnecessary drama and were cock-obssessed assholes.They pretty much annoyed everyone who weren't like them in our group and are still the first thing I think of when I think of "Being gay is not a personality".

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah people who have weird personality crutches are everywhere, it's just that it's idiotic to treat them as representative of all people involved in whatever the crutch is.

Like I have seen a lot of people whose identity is their preferred college football team, but I am aware that this doesn't represent the majority of college football fans.

I also expect that the gay personality stuff is mostly just "I am away from my homophobic home and for the first time am allowed to gay it up so I'm gonna go hog wild."

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

baronvonsabre posted:

It’s really not a controversial thing to think that boss fights suck. It’s a pretty common complaint about games in general that they will deny you content if you’re not good enough to get past a sudden difficulty spike, coupled with the fact that generally the only response from people who can get past it is ‘lol git gud’.
I think there is a distinct difference between "boss fights are bad" and "this boss fight represents an unnecessary spike in difficulty that harms the pace of the game". Assuming that all boss fights are like that either indicates that you only play badly designed games or refuse to engage with the mechanics of the game in the same way that cinema sins refuses to engage with the narrative of media.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

There are lots of different functions of bosses, and one of them is to act as a "wall" that prevents you from progressing until you learn how to utilize a specific skill or strategy you have access to, or sometimes in the case of RPGs, until you have enough stats or skills to win a damage race.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

baronvonsabre posted:

I think it would be a controversial take among most game-likers to say that there has never been a good boss fight in a videogame, there never will be, and that they're a design flaw that should never exist.

C'mon you can surely think of at least one time you enjoyed a boss fight, no?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Youtube will do literally anything except hire people to check stuff

The purpose of capital investment in technology is to make workers unnecessary so they can be eliminated.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Srice posted:

I think it would be a controversial take among most game-likers to say that there has never been a good boss fight in a videogame, there never will be, and that they're a design flaw that should never exist.

C'mon you can surely think of at least one time you enjoyed a boss fight, no?

But Walker isn't saying that either. It's very clearly a joke, which is very obvious from both that paragraph and the rest of the same article. In fact, just above the one you quoted, he says this:

quote:

(there are exceptions, games where a ‘boss’ is in fact a sequence that asks you to employ all you’ve learned so far, the gaming equivalent of a comprehension test, and these work so well, but they’re rare like rubies and it’s almost always just a difficulty spike)

His argument is not that boss fights shouldn't exist, it's that there should be ways to skip them if you cannot get past them so you can get to the parts you can enjoy. That's why the article is called "Let's have a button to skip boss fights" and not "Let's outlaw boss fights and kill everyone who likes them"

baronvonsabre fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 22, 2019

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

baronvonsabre posted:

His argument is not that boss fights shouldn't exist, it's that there should be ways to skip them if you cannot get past them so you can get to the parts you can enjoy. That's why the article is called "Let's have a button to skip boss fights" and not "Let's outlaw boss fights and kill everyone who likes them"

That button exists and is the play button on twitch or youtube

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Lessail posted:

That button exists and is the play button on twitch or youtube

Git gud or sit in the peasants gallery where you belong. Thanks buddy, sterling contribution there.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

baronvonsabre posted:

Git gud or sit in the peasants gallery where you belong. Thanks buddy, sterling contribution there.

Thanks I've used it plenty of times myself on games I grew tired of. Generally the games I actually like the gameplay of I come back to even after being blocked by a boss for a year (like Etrian Odyssey)

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah people who have weird personality crutches are everywhere, it's just that it's idiotic to treat them as representative of all people involved in whatever the crutch is.

Except Gamers.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

“Difficulty spikes by design” are not an inherently bad thing. Games with extremely smooth difficulty curvesl will usually still have peaks and valleys of difficulty when you examine them up close. Tension needs to be escalated and de-escalated when appropriate.

When you compare two consecutive levels in Mario, the second one will just about always be harder than the first one. But the beginning of the second level won’t necessarily be harder than the end of the first level. The entire game has a difficulty curve, but also each world has a difficulty curve, and each level has a difficulty curve.

You play a level and the difficulty escalated up to the boss battle, which serves as the climax. That tension is diffused when you win, and then the next level resumes escalating tension up to another climax.

I’m often weary of “skip content” buttons in linear games because it usually means the player won’t be properly prepared for future challenges that build on earlier concepts, so it snowballs into skipping more and more content. That’s not a very fulfilling experience.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 22, 2019

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

baronvonsabre posted:

But Walker isn't saying that either. It's very clearly a joke, which is very obvious from both that paragraph and the rest of the same article. In fact, just above the one you quoted, he says this:

Like right there he's claiming that his "joke" applies to the majority of boss fights which either means he's playing bad games or is bad at enjoying games.

Which is especially baffling because most bad bosses in games aren't even hard, just needlessly time consuming and disconnected from the rest of the game.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sometimes you want a difficulty spike, like the Tower in Stephen's Sausage Roll or after the first six levels of Snakebird. There's something special about getting punched in the gut like that.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I enjoy the idea of the Souls games, but I find them way too draining for me to play so I went and watched LPs of the games to see what I missed. Skipping x boss wouldn't have changed the paranoid atmosphere that became too much that I stopped playing.

The only way I can see a skip boss button being needed is if the boss fight is bugged out and unwinnable. Then the button should be there until the boss is patched.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I can understand a skip segment button in a video game, like a chapter skip button in a movie. You're going to be having a lesser experience but some scenes are difficulty to watch/play.

Although a game built around players skipping content like Mass Effect 3 is gonna be poo poo regardless.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I can understand a skip segment button in a video game, like a chapter skip button in a movie. You're going to be having a lesser experience but some scenes are difficulty to watch/play.

Although a game built around players skipping content like Mass Effect 3 is gonna be poo poo regardless.

I really love how Hitman(2016) and Hitman (2018) let you play the missions and cutscenes in any order with just a warning if you hadn't played the preceding one. It works really well to allow the players to maybe play bonus missions for the later chapters and allow unlocks that would help them on the earlier ones and the narrative is built up so that information presented within mission isn't vital for the base narrative but expands on it. They even recommend playing the missions in multiple ways to get the entire narrative and a variety of play experience before moving on but let's you do everything in whatever order you wish.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think the other gaping hole in his argument is that there are plenty of games that have unexpected difficulty spikes totally unrelated to boss fights and attacking the concept of boss fights is also silly when plenty of games don't even have them in any sort of traditional sense.

If he had just said "sometimes games are too hard for their own good and it would be cool to skip past parts I'm not having fun with" that would be less controversial* and a stronger argument. We were actually just talking about this in the Steam thread, with a focal point being Celeste's assist mode and my usual pet topic of how you could approach an :airquote: easy mode :airquote: in something like Dark Souls that wasn't just a one and done difficulty toggle. For instance, an exploratory mode ala Assassin's Creed Origins historical tour mode.

*Still controversial though, because gamers.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The other issue with John is that if he were here reading this he would be calling you all idiots for not getting his brilliant point immediately. :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

The other issue with John is that if he were here reading this he would be calling you all idiots for not getting his brilliant point immediately. :v:

Something that popped up when I was looking for that quote was seeing him calling people snowflakes for disagreeing with him...makes me think that maybe he's the fragile gamer here.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

AriadneThread posted:

just disable the youtube comment system categorically across the board, what function does it even offer anyway

But that's how I tell the Quartering he's a big dumb-dumb.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

hello john

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Harris X. Bomberguy has a new video out on WOKE BRANDS.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Alaois posted:

hello john

Hey now, I can take listening to you all and your bad opinions about how it's actually very good that people are stopped forever from enjoying video games until they prove they can pass "Boss Patterns 1A Subsection C - The Circle Strafe" like they're learning to operate heavy machinery or something, but call me English one more time and I will cut you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New content, thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06yy88tLWlg
New HBomb content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGaBzGJeCgA
New Jim loving Sterling Son content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTXQwpauRLg
New Phelous content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBibAdNZ53U
New Super Bunnyhop content.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 22, 2019

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
New Sarah Z video, as well, on the gap between the scrutiny of media created by marginalized people and not marginalized people. I really liked this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__ctRfI7cuM

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

that was pretty good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair games are to wed to the idea of boss fights.

The new resident evil game would be much better without any boss fights because the game isn’t about the combat which a boss fight forces you to engage in.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

New Super Bunnyhop content.

this just popped into my sidebar. What's going on today

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ArfJason posted:

this just popped into my sidebar. What's going on today

Friday content drops, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFk_I0nxnU

Gggmanlives had to reupload his review of Anthem after he got dinged for being too negative with his initial video. I guess EA wasn't happy he didn't give it a glowing review after they let him play an earlier build of the game that was smoother than the finished product.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 22, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Bosses are often good. Gatekeeping bosses can be quite good because sometimes they're the only way of forcing gamers to unlearn a bunch of ingrained poo poo and get with the program. It would make no sense to be able to skip Iudex Gundyr, the first boss in Dark Souls 3 because there's no way a player who did so would be able to enjoy the rest of the game. It's not that hard of a boss, but it will likely kill most players first, second and maybe even third go; it requires that players learn the basics of the game and just one of many winning strategies (for example parrying, dodging or taking advantage of an elemental weakness).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Just give us invincibility modes on consoles too. Sometimes I just wanna wail on the big fire lion instead of running out of stamina and getting stunned by its roars back to back.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I found Iudex Gundyr surprisingly hard for an intro boss until I went back to using a good shield and then beat it first time. I'm not sure it's actually a good first boss.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Biomute posted:

Bosses are often good. Gatekeeping bosses can be quite good because sometimes they're the only way of forcing gamers to unlearn a bunch of ingrained poo poo and get with the program. It would make no sense to be able to skip Iudex Gundyr, the first boss in Dark Souls 3 because there's no way a player who did so would be able to enjoy the rest of the game. It's not that hard of a boss, but it will likely kill most players first, second and maybe even third go; it requires that players learn the basics of the game and just one of many winning strategies (for example parrying, dodging or taking advantage of an elemental weakness).

Honestly I find Dark Souls etc. one of the series where I'd really like to skip bosses since they play very differently to the rest of the game. They are mostly just a segment where the games tests a different set of skills than what you spend the rest of the game developing and using.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I found Iudex Gundyr surprisingly hard for an intro boss until I went back to using a good shield and then beat it first time. I'm not sure it's actually a good first boss.

I'm literally the person that used to roll around all DS1 and DS2 bosses and I got stomped by that one, so no you didn't suck.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Archer666 posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf did his somewhat usual thing where he talks about some of the stuff that he enjoyed the past winter. One of them includes Contrapoints, so she can expect a whole bunch of anime nerds to follow her now.

Contrapoints is already anime

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

Grapplejack posted:

I thought the Canadians were going to be on this one, drat. We need more Canadians!

The correct RLM line-up is Jack, Jay, Mike, and Rich. Canadians are disappointing. Josh is doubly disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

adamcantsleep posted:

The correct RLM line-up is Jack, Jay, Mike, and Rich. Canadians are disappointing. Josh is doubly disappointing.

I feel like this is a third rail in rlm chat, but I miss Jessie. Mike has genuine investment in earnest things, but he’s too self-conscious to express joy when he feels it. Give me ecstatic giggling at Thunderpants any day, man.

Rich is real good at a version of this.