Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Yooper posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on Isle of Skye, or that area of Scotland? Looking for something a bit out of the way, if possible.

Seconding Quiraing and Old Man of Storr, they are worth it. There are a few easier munros that are accessible to relatively competent hikers (i.e. involving no-to-easy scrambling and no climbing experience needed, and not too exposed--unlike e.g. the majority of the Cullins).

Bla Bheinn is fantastic and relatively easy so long as you are OK with some scree and occasionally putting your hands on the rock for short bits. Even just the part on the path can be very scenic, if you end up deciding not to go all the way up. The summit view is very, very good though.

Another relatively easy (albiet longer) option with outstanding views is Sgurr na Stri from Sligachan. No scrambling is required for this route but the last part of the walk is on rough terrain without a real path. As with Bla Bheinn, even if you only go part way I think it is a worthwhile walk. The bar at Sligachan is a nice place to stop an eat/drink.

Bruach na Frithe is generally regarded as the easiest peak on the Cullin ridge. As with Sgurr na Stri scrambling is not needed and the route is not really exposed. It's a significantly shorter walk than Sgurr na Stri, with about the same overall level of difficulty, but the view isn't as spectacular imo (though it is still good).

For easier walks, there are plenty of hikes along the Trotternish ridge you can do (apart from just Storr and Quiraing), but honestly, I think its overall better to just visit those two and spend more of your time elsewhere unless you are there for a really long time or run out of things to do. The path from Elgol to Camasunary is very scenic and is also an easy walk. Fairy Pools are an extremely easy walk, and it is pretty, but tends to be totally packed with people.

This website as a lot of good walks, from very easy to hard: http://www.theskyeguide.com/walking-mainmenu-32
Honestly most of my recommendations are probably from this guy, since we used this site a lot when we visited a couple years ago.

I think you could easily spend a week in Skye, no problem. But since you are presumably coming up from either Edinburgh or Glasgow and either way will pass by Ft William, Glencoe is also very scenic with some easier walks, or it can be just a good place to see by car. Probably worth a stop there imo, if the weather is OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

We spent a week in Skye last year with no problem finding things to do. Most of what we did has already been recommended.

We climbed Sgurr na Stri from Loch Coruisk though - you can get a boat from Elgol which gives you some decent views on the way in, and it means you don't have to hike all the way from Sligachan.

Theres a scramble on the Quiraing hike up to the "table" - if you don't mind a scramble it's worth heading up there as it's pretty cool.

Definitely worth getting up early for the Storr and Quiraing hikes, both for avoiding people on the trails and for getting a parking spot!

Expect logs of bogs!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I'm planning a Skye trip as well right now, sounds like a popular goon destination. Planning to do Sgurr na skri as the biggest walk, the fairy pools one also looked good.

There's a different route up Sgurr na skri that I'm considering instead of getting the boat one way. Main concern is bogginess

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=78432

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Thanks for all the info! Looks like we'll spend a solid week on Skye, southern part, and just explore the island. We'll have one full day in Edinburgh on the way back as well.

Renting a cute stone cottage not far from the water. Half the trip will be hikes, the other half allowing my wife to indulge her garden habit. Our first time in the UK, should be a great trip.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
This is why I help future eons by growing cairns. I don't stand around for hours stacking rocks, but I'm willing to help guide the less experienced onto the correct path instead of having everyone aimlessly roaming through the fragile places.

Sorry, I can't help push up the rocks from the bottom side.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone ever do anything in Zermatt/Zurich? When’s the best time if I was choosing between spring and fall?

Thinking of going for some hiking in April-May. I like hiking in cool/cold and fewer crowds would be nice.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I've not hiked much over at that end of Switzerland, but I've cycled quite a bit over there. It depends a bit on how high you're hiking- if you're doing serious stuff with snowshoes, crampons etc spring will be better at altitude as crevasses will be filled and glaciers will have good access. If you're planning on hiking without equipment autumn will have less snow coverage but the scenery and weather might be less pretty. April/may will be good and shouldn't be too busy as it's late for skiing, early for summer tourism.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Alps Insight is mostly focused on Swiss trail running, but that's pretty much just hiking quickly, and they do have some hiking/skiing/cycling specific stuff as well. I haven't been so I can't judge how it is first hand but their website and book seem to have a ton of info. Plus lots of great pictures and so forth, it's great day dreaming material as well. https://alpsinsight.com

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I'm planning on doing the Overland Trail in Tasmania in November (summer). I'm a pretty experienced hiker (as much as you can be living in an Australian city, our mountains are weak), but I've never actually bought myself a pair of proper hiking shoes. I've never needed them, you can easily get away with skate shoes on 95% the hikes within 10 hours of my house.

The Overland trail is pretty different to anything I've done though. For one, it gets snow at any time of the year. I've done overnight hikes and weeklong camps but I've never done a 7 day hike. From what I've read on the internet, your feet are just going to be wet all week, because it doesn't get hot enough to dry your boots out and the trail looks like this:

I know absolutely nothing about boots or shoes and I'm getting a bit of decision paralysis. There's so many different boots to choose from and there's people on the internet (like reddit etc) saying to just get trail runners. Where do I even begin? I'm estimating my pack will be 17kg, that seems to be the average.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Trail runners over boots for anything except snow IMO.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I used Saucony Peregrines for the AT and they were great. Dried out super fast and could handle anything. Just make sure to have some warm socks if it does snow a bit. Also take out the insole and throw in some superfeet or your preferred insert and you’ll be golden

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bottom Liner posted:

Trail runners over boots for anything except snow IMO.

This.

If you get a boot, get something tall and waterproof for snow. Also, gaiters for winter are a game changer. Between two pairs of footwear, you'll have all seasons covered.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Verman posted:

This.

If you get a boot, get something tall and waterproof for snow. Also, gaiters for winter are a game changer. Between two pairs of footwear, you'll have all seasons covered.

I cannot stress enough how much gaiters are worth it. I've got a $50 MEC pair I bought 8 years ago, still going strong.

Yesterday I did a quick hike on a well travelled mountain with snow boots, gaiter and $31 traction devices from Amazon. Had a great time and no issues that I wouldn't also have with snowshoes. I noted that, unlike previous years, I'd say 40% of people had traction devices vs. snowshoes.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'll be the dissenting voice here. This thread convinced me to give trail runners a try on a week long hike and my feet were honestly miserable. I use trail runners on some day hikes and that's fine, but carrying a heavy bag for multiple days over rough terrain was horrid. Maybe it's just my feet, or maybe I should have tried something more heavy duty than saucony peregrines.

Good leather boots will stay dry under very wet conditions for a long time, especially with gaiters. On the west coast of BC where things are very, very muddy, boots are wonderful.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Wait. Are you all recommending gaiters+boots or gaiters+trail runners?

I switched from being a lifelong boot wearer to trail runners somewhere around 600 miles into the AT and I have no intention of ever going back. Except for maybe some fashion boots which will hurt my knees.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I would go trail runners over boots, especially if you’ve been doing a lot of hiking in skate shoes already and don’t feel you need more ankle support. Shoes will get wet eventually, then it’s a matter of how fast they dry out. Trail runners will dry much quicker than full boots. Warm socks are important for that approach though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

underage at the vape shop posted:

From what I've read on the internet, your feet are just going to be wet all week, because it doesn't get hot enough to dry your boots out and the trail looks like this:

Yeah, Saucony Peregrines and merino socks 100%. Merino wool keeps your feet warm even when wet and dries out insanely fast, and the Saucony's will dry out 10x faster than any leather or hybrid boot.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I've been using beefier trail shoes like North Face goretex for the past 6 years or so. The waterproof nature puts me at ease and I use them for winter boots most of the time otherwise. Not light enough for a through hike shoe I wager.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I wear my Peregrines on most hikes, but if the terrain is rocky a shoe with a stiffer sole can be really nice and won't tire out your calves as quickly.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tsyni posted:

I'll be the dissenting voice here. This thread convinced me to give trail runners a try on a week long hike and my feet were honestly miserable. I use trail runners on some day hikes and that's fine, but carrying a heavy bag for multiple days over rough terrain was horrid. Maybe it's just my feet, or maybe I should have tried something more heavy duty than saucony peregrines.

Good leather boots will stay dry under very wet conditions for a long time, especially with gaiters. On the west coast of BC where things are very, very muddy, boots are wonderful.

Same here: I much prefer boots for any real terrain or longer trips. I like trail runners for walking around town. :shobon:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I tried runners but ever since I started using my Merrells for all my hikes my ankles and feet feel better at the end of the day every time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think trail runners absolutely need an insert to be worthwhile for a heavy duty hiking shoe. So many have practically nothing so you can feel the trail and it sucks with any sort of weight.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Has anyone tried the EVA foam snowshoes?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I took trail runners up to Camp Muir on Rainier and it was miserable. It was late in the season and I thought I could get away with it. The snow itself wasn't too bad (though a thinker sole would have been warmer), but the inability to kick into the snow with floppier shoes is what really got annoying.

Emphasizing the boots for snow, heavy packs and steep climbing. More so if you need ankle support.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
As much as I prefer trail runners for hiking and backpacking, there are some instances where boots are ideal. Kick steps and long periods of snow are some of those instances. I would just assume use my mountaineering boots in that case.

Also, if you're running trail runners, be sure the foot bed is stiff. You don't want to feel rocks or roots underneath. I'm not sure how the peregrines are but trail runners tend to vary quite a bit. Everybody's feet are different so there's no magic bullet that works for everyone. Some people will need more support than others. My buddy has sprained his ankle a few times so I would never suggest he hike in anything but boots. I play hockey so my ankles are pretty strong.

I'll be shopping for a new pair this year as my beloved merrell all out peaks are about dead after a few years and they drastically changed the design. They were my perfect shoe and the treads are getting round and the fabric is littered with tips and tears.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
That's another point too, trail runners get beat up pretty quickly. I have to buy a new pair every year or so, and at $100-120+ a pop, it gets expensive. I also had trail runners delaminate at inopportune times on multiple occasions; one of which was on a rather demanding hike in Yellowstone.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I think I'lll wait until I try a bunch on in the store, but I think I'm leaning towards boots. Thinking about it, I've definitely have had instances on lovely terrain where the soft soles of my shoes haven't protected me enough and I've had sore spots on my feet for a few days after. Maybe trail runners would be enough to protect against that, but I know sections of the track are really rocky or have lots of knobbly roots and I don't wanna step on a sharp rock on day 1 and be stuck with pain for another 6 days. I'm going to pack as light as I can but I do have a tendency to overthink and overprepare (see: boots), and it's my first properly long hike. My pack is probably going to be hitting that 17kg average even though I know I could get away with less.

I'll check out trail runners too when I go into the store. None of the 3 good ones near me stock Peregrines though. The boots I see Australians recommend a lot are Scarpa SL's, they retail for $500, yoikes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m in Jackson Hole, it’s -15F and I’ve officially found the limit where I have to buy better clothes before I come back. This is cold.

I’m staying inside.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

When I went skiing in December there was a day where it was 0 with 40mph gusts. gently caress that nonsense when sitting on a slow rear end chairlift.

The second the sun went below the peak I was off the mountain so quick.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm planning on doing the Overland Trail in Tasmania in November (summer). I'm a pretty experienced hiker (as much as you can be living in an Australian city, our mountains are weak), but I've never actually bought myself a pair of proper hiking shoes. I've never needed them, you can easily get away with skate shoes on 95% the hikes within 10 hours of my house.

The Overland trail is pretty different to anything I've done though. For one, it gets snow at any time of the year. I've done overnight hikes and weeklong camps but I've never done a 7 day hike. From what I've read on the internet, your feet are just going to be wet all week, because it doesn't get hot enough to dry your boots out and the trail looks like this:

I know absolutely nothing about boots or shoes and I'm getting a bit of decision paralysis. There's so many different boots to choose from and there's people on the internet (like reddit etc) saying to just get trail runners. Where do I even begin? I'm estimating my pack will be 17kg, that seems to be the average.

You'll regret getting anything that doesn't dry quickly. Another trail runners vote here. Make sure you use them out on the trail well before your planned hike -- you'll need to build up your foot and ankle muscles with them.

I used Altra Lone Peak 3.5s all last year, including going up the snow chute to summit Whitney with microspikes and an ice axe in June. I had on waterproof gaiters that went up to my knee as well.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Ah I haven't been in this thread for a long time, last year was kinda crappy year for feeling up to backpacking and camping :( Definitely planning on at least 1 week long trip this year though. Having a toddler makes it a bit harder to plan even short trips these days.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I used Saucony Peregrines for the AT and they were great. Dried out super fast and could handle anything. Just make sure to have some warm socks if it does snow a bit. Also take out the insole and throw in some superfeet or your preferred insert and you’ll be golden

One complaint I have about Peregrines is when replacing the default insole I ended up really wearing out the heal cup area and it causing some issues. But they're pretty solid, I've done cross country stuff in the Sierra's in them without issue.

I'd say just make sure any trail runner you get has a rock plate of sorts, that will help a lot with rougher terrain.

My perfect shoe would be a little more like an approach shoe but with zero drop and a slightly wider toe box than is normal with them.

Tsyni posted:

That said yeah if you're carrying a heavy load (over 35 lbs I think) then you might need something with more support.

khysanth posted:

I used Altra Lone Peak 3.5s all last year, including going up the snow chute to summit Whitney with microspikes and an ice axe in June. I had on waterproof gaiters that went up to my knee as well.

Maybe because I never replaced the default insole but Lone Peak 3.5s just seemed too sloppy on my feet, not something I wanted to take off trail or rocky terrain.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

Levitate posted:

Maybe because I never replaced the default insole but Lone Peak 3.5s just seemed too sloppy on my feet, not something I wanted to take off trail or rocky terrain.

Sounds like you need lower volume shoes than Altras. Check out some La Sportivas like the Bushido and Wildcat.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

khysanth posted:

Sounds like you need lower volume shoes than Altras. Check out some La Sportivas like the Bushido and Wildcat.

I didn't like the heel-toe drop on them (the la sportivas)

I hiked the JMT in some Inov-8 295's but after I wore those out I tried to get the new version and I was somehow inbetween sizes and then their more recent shoes just aren't designed the same.

Those shoes were awesome though. Super light, no drop, very low to the ground, but I didn't have trouble with my feet getting beaten up either

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
Trail runners are great for trails where you don't need to negotiate obstacles, but boots with a sturdy sole on rocky terrain is a must for me. I love being able to put my entire weight on the pointed edge of a rock without a care in the world.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Overland Trail in Tasmania

I hiked up Cradle Mountain a while back, I'm sure it was just in trainers and I remember seeing a guy taking his very small kids up as we were coming down. Not really safe for toddlers!

Looking at the Wikipedia page it's 65km for the whole trail. I think in summer I'd go with some lightweight breathable trail runners. If you're carrying a big pack or on harder terrain then boots make more sense. Boots and gaiters will keep your feet nicely dry for crossing a few streams like in the photo, though.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

snappo posted:

Trail runners are great for trails where you don't need to negotiate obstacles, but boots with a sturdy sole on rocky terrain is a must for me. I love being able to put my entire weight on the pointed edge of a rock without a care in the world.

I think a lot of it boils down to the nature of the terrain and how you are walking/moving. Stiff, sturdy boots are great for clomping down scree & talus in ways that you can't generally get away with in trainers. They are also nice for steep slippery turf where the stiffer sole lets you hold an edge better. But a shoe with a more flexible, stickier sole, lower volume, and greater sensitivity generally does a better job of letting you place feet precisely in rough or scrambly terrain, and the better ankle flex gives you more options. So for most days in like class 2-4 terrain I prefer approach shoes or similar trainers if I can get away with them (hard steep snow or cold being the big reason I can't). And anything much past that, people usually break out the rock shoes if they can, which probably says something about the merits of more minimal footwear in rocky terrain :P

But there is really no right answer especially when it comes to stiffness vs softness of a sole. I think the best approach is to not worry too much about what other people tell you and just try things until you figure out what works for you. Shoes/boots don't last that long so you'll get plenty of opportunities to dial things in over time. The only situation where stiff boots are really required is in

I'd say the main reason myself and other people tend to recommend trainers for many long distance trails is they are just a hell of a lot easier to dry. I got some light mountaineering boots soaked last weekend in a stream crossing, and the loving things were still damp 3 days later (and smell like complete rear end). Spending days on the trail with damp, stank rear end boots sucks and is rougher on your feet than just about anything else.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I ended up spending a long time talking to the lady in the store and settled on a pair of lighter boots. They aren't fully restricitive, they still give support, they are comfy, and I'll be waterproof up above my ankles which is how I normally get wet feet to begin with. Also I won't be getting so many scrapes on my ankles, which always kinda annoyed me with my skate shoes and trail runners won't help with that.

If they turn out to be too heavy or I don't like them, I can be glad I didn't get the heavier ones. I figure they're shoes, they'll wear out, if I want lighter next time I can always go lighter. I can figure out what I want/like.

Now I need to figure out a sleeping bag. I think a -6/20F bag is sufficient, especially because I'm planning on carrying a thermal layer, I can wear that in the bag if it gets too cold. gently caress they get expensive real fast as they get smaller. I also need to figure out a tent. I've seen that a lot of tents use your hiking poles as support, so I guess I need to figure out if I want poles first. Do you guys use them?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I use poles and I find them most useful in very steep or muddy terrain. If it's really rocky (like all rock) they aren't as great. If it's flat you can engage your upper body more, in theory, but it's not their ideal application.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Poles have definitely saved me from busting my rear end on some of the hilly desert hikes I've done so I recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I use poles for stability, tarp, etc. but also as potential splint/crutch since I am solo a lot of the time. Well worth the weight and cost imo.