Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

harperdc posted:

In countries with less space/no tradition of cricket, small rectangular grounds is all you’ve got though.

We play on soccer/rugby sized pitches with a 30m center square, rounded cutting off of the corners (basically from the behind posts), and nine players a side. Of course, AFL quality players would eat this up but it’s a format that needs to be decided and agreed upon to help grow the game. Of course when you can a full-size pitch and 16 to 18 a side is best, but that’s not always available.

I'm just not convinced that AFL needs to be grown overseas if it results in the game being unrecognisable. I'm perfectly happy with Aussie Rules being Australia's game on Australia's terms.

IMO the (approximate) size and shape of the ground is a fundamental feature that makes the game what it is. Players being able to take shots at goal so easily from halfway in the AFLX really doesn't work for me as it removes a significant portion of the midfield/transition game of AFL.

Sure if people want to play on different sized grounds cause that's all they've got then go for it, but you don't need to change the rules so dramatically to make it a game worth playing. I'm pretty sure most of use here probably grew up playing footy on randomly sized and shaped school ovals where a few random trees/objects were used as the goal posts but we didn't feel the need to introduce a bunch of stupid bullshit rules to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Periphery posted:

Sure if people want to play on different sized grounds cause that's all they've got then go for it

And the way we play doesn’t have 10 pointers or other things. It’s more like Mini AFL than anything.

If the clubs playing AFL overseas had numbers to justify full-size grounds and 18-a-side you would be seeing the results in Australia already. But that’s not the case. A “big” club in the US is probably 30 or so people, and I don’t think many places have multiple clubs in the same metro area (one example counter is Washington and Baltimore, possibly the SF Bay Area, but that’s all I can remember). And the US is probably the biggest single market outside of Australia, and if they struggle for it, what chance does anyone else have? Do you think even Hong Kong or Singapore have ovals to use? Or anywhere in continental Europe?

AFL doesn’t need a gimmicky AFLX, it needs to codify a set of 9-a-side rules as a baseline for international play. AFLX last year was promised as that before the competition, but that didn’t become the case, and now we saw what it was last night. 18-a-side will be there, but if you want to grow the game overseas, you need to be realistic.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Periphery posted:

IMO the (approximate) size and shape of the ground is a fundamental feature that makes the game what it is. Players being able to take shots at goal so easily from halfway in the AFLX really doesn't work for me as it removes a significant portion of the midfield/transition game of AFL.
I had similar thoughts. What about changing the spacing of the posts, or adding a crossbar to clear as in rugby?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have nothing to add except that Hong Kong has a bunch of ovals (:britain:) and expats (at least used to) play footy every now and then. I don’t know about now I haven’t lived there for years.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

harperdc posted:

And the way we play doesn’t have 10 pointers or other things. It’s more like Mini AFL than anything.

If the clubs playing AFL overseas had numbers to justify full-size grounds and 18-a-side you would be seeing the results in Australia already. But that’s not the case. A “big” club in the US is probably 30 or so people, and I don’t think many places have multiple clubs in the same metro area (one example counter is Washington and Baltimore, possibly the SF Bay Area, but that’s all I can remember). And the US is probably the biggest single market outside of Australia, and if they struggle for it, what chance does anyone else have? Do you think even Hong Kong or Singapore have ovals to use? Or anywhere in continental Europe?

AFL doesn’t need a gimmicky AFLX, it needs to codify a set of 9-a-side rules as a baseline for international play. AFLX last year was promised as that before the competition, but that didn’t become the case, and now we saw what it was last night. 18-a-side will be there, but if you want to grow the game overseas, you need to be realistic.

Yeah, I totally believe that if the AFL wanted to grow the game overseas it just needs to fully support the grass roots level of the game in those places. They should target a few places in the US and build up a strong local comp in those places and then let it grow from there. Start with whatever small grounds are available and a slightly modified game and when it gets to the a decent level of interest invest in some full size grounds. Of course it barely manages to support Aussie grass roots footy and has no long term vision so this would never happen (also because it's probably a stupid idea).

Rastor posted:

I had similar thoughts. What about changing the spacing of the posts, or adding a crossbar to clear as in rugby?

I'm no expert, but reducing the spacing of the posts could be a simple but effective alteration to make up for the shorter ground lengths. On first glance it'd have the same effect as increased distance in that it'd make shots harder but wouldn't fundamentally alter the way the game is played.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Is there a reason why, if the AFL is so keen to expand into international markets, they didn't start with the other cricket playing countries? At least they would have full size fields available.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I think it's been spoken about before but probably the biggest failing of the AFL as far as international markets go is not securing a decent broadcast deal in the US. A tonne of people in the US have fond memories of the game from the 80s but the AFL hasn't capitalised on it and have their games shown on some lovely bolt on cable channel which nobody buys

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
AFL9s exists if you have limited space or player numbers.

The AFL doesn't care about overseas growth because they don't care about the International Cup every few years which can help grow the presence of the game overseas at the grassroots level.

AFLX is just a way to get a few extra dollars out of a few new advertisers/sponsors and make some money for everyone.

In related news, Nat Fyfe going in for elbow surgery following AFLX.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

drunkill posted:

nooooooooo

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

drunkill posted:

:tif:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

The AFL doesn't care about overseas growth because they don't care about the International Cup every few years which can help grow the presence of the game overseas at the grassroots level.

They need to get clubs to act as hosts for the next IC, I know teams had meetings and tours at some clubs but helping to connect with clubs (especially all freaking 10 in Victoria) would be a great reward for players and coaches, who are all finding a way to spend a month in Australia away from work/school and aren’t getting paid to do it.

The next step would be to strongly encourage the regional tournaments have maximums in terms of Aussies on representative teams. The US/Canada do, but I know some in Asia raised hell over having even two non-Aussies on the field at any time.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Having ic teams use club facilities would be neat.

Also
https://twitter.com/CFCCheersquad/status/1099097728594829314?s=19

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

A bunch of AFLW players liking this one

https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/1098835235590922241

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
What an infuriating game that was.

Umps need to be shot, so many lovely calls and two very weak 50m penalties paid to geelong.

Harris just had a poo poo day, 4 shots on goal, two hit the post and two others behinds.

And then when Vescio kicked a goal from advantage the ump had his back turned and called the ball back. Would have won that game with that goal counting.

Bring proper umpires into aflw so the girls learn the correct way to play, instead of knowing they can throw the ball and get away with it.

https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1099208948857561088

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

I think by next year AFLW will average higher crowds than the NRL

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

snaeksikn posted:

I think by next year AFLW will average higher crowds than the NRL

How much of that is growth, and how much of that is death, is debatable

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Conference B is about to strike first blood it seems

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Bonnie Toogood is the best name in sports

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

snaeksikn posted:

I reckon Maisie Nankivell from Adelaide has gotta be top 5.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Bulldogs premiership hangover is real

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Crows firing a shot across the rest of the competition :getin:

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Interested to see if anyone can come even close to North.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

snaeksikn posted:

It’s no Orazio Fantasia though

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Crows vs Fremantle was a real arm wrestle until around half way through the third quarter and then Fremantle just disintegrated.

The standard of umpiring at AFLW is a real issue. The match today between Crows and Freo was almost destroyed by overzealous umpiring, it felt like there was a whistle at almost every contest with just about any contact resulting in a free kick, often right in front of goal. The Crows enjoyed a ridiculous run of frees in the fourth quarter that snuffed out any hope of a Freo comeback. Freo got a similarly good run in the second quarter. From the sound of things, it wasn't any better in Carlton vs Geelong.

For heaven's sake, the AFL has elected to run the entire competition during the preseason. The highest quality umpires are available. Use them.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Interested to see if anyone can come even close to North.

I doubt it. I think if Melbourne or Crows play to their fullest potential and North have a bad day, they could potentially sneak a win. Not sure if anyone else really has the capacity to do it. Possibly Brisbane, they're a bit of a mystery to me.

But realistically, North would have to be overwhelming favourites to win the premiership at this stage. Their matches against Melbourne tomorrow and the Crows next week will be very interesting.

The Crows are averaging 63 points over the past three rounds (conveniently ignoring the 1.11 effort from the first round). Nice to see them finally get a bit potent with scoring this year. They only got over 60 points once in 2017 and 2018 combined.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 23, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yep, every aflw game should have 1 afl level umpire officiating the match. They're not busy since they're doing mems preseason games and the aflw matches are shorter so they can't complain.

The non-calls in the cats v blues match were awful for both teams but Carlton wereawarded a free kick inside 50 and played on and Vescio scored a goal, except the umpire had his back turned so it was struck down and the freekick taken again, hitting the post.

That cost us the game in the end, along with other misses.

In any other game the advantage there is upheld by one of the other field umpires looking at the play. The goal umpire had to explain to the officiating ump what had happened behind his back and was ready to signal a goal.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

drunkill posted:

He won’t miss any practice games, and baring any other issues will be fine for round 1. He did it at training a few weeks before aflx, and was hopping it’d settle down, but it didn’t.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
https://twitter.com/ShaunBurgoyne9/status/1099278051345461248

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hope ferris.pete gets banned from whatever stadium is his home one

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Between the Brisbane freo game last night and early on in the Dees and roos the girls look like they're kicking it a lot longer this year

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Everything Cunningham touches has gone to poo poo so far

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Aleisha Newman is so good to watch once she finds space

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Well that was a good game aside the 6 f50 free kicks in a row the roos got in the last quarter to the point that the fox commentators were openly complaining about it

We really need a strong marking target as backup to Cunningham

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Geez, that Emma King free kick in the last was pretty bloody ordinary

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Ah great, Roos play the Crows next week, and a result either way will hurt the demons finals chances. Cool, cool cool.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I’m glad that we are the only team that has gotten near the Roos, and really should have won, but we won’t even make the finals because Gillon McLachlan is a drug addled braindead Private school idiot

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m glad that we are the only team that has gotten near the Roos, and really should have won, but we won’t even make the finals because Gillon McLachlan is a drug addled braindead Private school idiot

And South Australian

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

You Am I posted:

And South Australian

Look, I didn’t want to get too personal tbh; some things you can’t take back

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

Ah great, Roos play the Crows next week, and a result either way will hurt the demons finals chances. Cool, cool cool.

Don't see how a NM win hurts you. You've got to get past two teams and NM plays both of them. You should want them to win and then beat us in Round 7, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Interesting hearing Nick Riewoldt’s take on all the drug chat that’s been happening after Grant Thomas’s comments the other week. Riewoldt thinks players are taking this piss with how the illicit drugs policy is implemented, his example was a player who say gets a corky then goes out and has 6 beers will be up in front of the leadership group on a Monday for his behaviour, compared to a player that goes out and takes drugs, who’ll won’t be exposed to the leadership group for having done so, even on the 2nd strike where they can take the mental health training to avoid any repercussions.

His broader point was if the AFL want to reduce the amount of illicit drug use in the system, there needs to be a suspension for the first strike to deter the casual users, which are in the majority, as opposed to those with an addiction problem which need all the support they can get.