Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Do they have vents in the lenses? I wouldn’t think they’d be THAT bad but not ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Moey posted:

The 7.5% was too light? Those things should be like blackout.

Have a pair coming Friday, 10% VLT.

Would you mind posting a pic of the 10% when you get it?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Ok so I looked around a bit at the differences between MTB and snow goggles and the main difference it seems is that MTB goggles have a single layer lens whereas snow goggles have a double layer lens, which stops the lens fogging in cold snowy climates.

Not a big fan of foggy lenses so I'll definitely have a look for some snow specific ones.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You can get great deals on totally fine goggles...well everywhere. Don't pay full price.

vvvv hello chair lift handies

kiimo fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 21, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s time to get loud

Full length crotch zippers are extremely my poo poo

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
How close are those pants to school bus yellow? They're super awesome.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

rex rabidorum vires posted:

How close are those pants to school bus yellow? They're super awesome.

It’s impossible to photo them right. They’re more orange than yellow. This is the best shot I can find online that conveys the true color. Sort of a powder orange.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Probably not the best solution, but what kind of MTB goggles are they? I know Smith makes snow & MTB versions of the Squad & Squad XL, if it's something like that you'll probably have enough venting to make it work.

Nevermind, didn't see there was another page. I've got some new Electric EG2s that I can sell for $25 plus shipping. https://www.backcountry.com/electric-eg2-goggle

highme fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 22, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

highme posted:

Probably not the best solution, but what kind of MTB goggles are they? I know Smith makes snow & MTB versions of the Squad & Squad XL, if it's something like that you'll probably have enough venting to make it work.

Nevermind, didn't see there was another page. I've got some new Electric EG2s that I can sell for $25 plus shipping. https://www.backcountry.com/electric-eg2-goggle

drat that's a steal.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

highme posted:

That sounds good but I'm in the UK so probably cheaper shipping wise to get some from over here. My MTB goggles are Melon Parker ones which come in both MTB and snow varieties, the only difference with them being the lens itself so I'll probably pick up a snow lens for them. They're really well vented goggles so it shouldn't be a problem.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aphex- posted:

That sounds good but I'm in the UK so probably cheaper shipping wise to get some from over here. My MTB goggles are Melon Parker ones which come in both MTB and snow varieties, the only difference with them being the lens itself so I'll probably pick up a snow lens for them. They're really well vented goggles so it shouldn't be a problem.

Have a look on Sportpursuit
https://www.sportpursuit.com/accessories/sunglasses-goggles/goggles?sport=Skiing%2CSnowboarding

There are some POC googles on there for £30

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I had a total yard sale and broke a rib on the first run of the day, so that's me out for a few weeks.

First ever toboggan ride down the mountain!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HookShot posted:

I had a total yard sale and broke a rib on the first run of the day, so that's me out for a few weeks.

Hi Jerry

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

HookShot posted:

Sorry to hear that HookShot. Popped/broken ribs are rough because it's so painful to stretch, breathe, laugh etc. Hope you recover soon!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ahaha I am a giant Jerry, absolutely. Apparently 15cm of powder was just too much for my Jerry rear end to handle without dying. The EMT who was helping me at the hospital was trying to get my boot off and had never seen a boot with a lace-up liner, I had to explain to her that she had to pull the shell off by itself or it would never work.

Yuns posted:

Sorry to hear that HookShot. Popped/broken ribs are rough because it's so painful to stretch, breathe, laugh etc. Hope you recover soon!
Thanks! Yeah, moving around/getting up kind of sucks dick right now. I think I'm going to live on the couch for a while.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Slipped on the ice last night and got some sort of whiplash, and apparently missed an amazing day of storm skiing. Spent the day with a heat pack and muscle relaxers.

But it’s still snowing and tomorrow should be bluebird :kiss:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

HookShot posted:

Very sorry to hear that :(

I did a dumb and got bucked on a flat at speed for my first run yesterday knocking the wind out of me and bruising the heck out of my right knee. Still did 11 runs and 10ish today. Was weirdly good for me though because ot forced me to ride a completely different style. Hope you're back up soon HookShot.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

3 more weeks until I can ski...

Snowing good in summit county though. Everyone else is going to have fun.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Very sorry to hear that :(

I did a dumb and got bucked on a flat at speed for my first run yesterday knocking the wind out of me and bruising the heck out of my right knee. Still did 11 runs and 10ish today. Was weirdly good for me though because ot forced me to ride a completely different style. Hope you're back up soon HookShot.
Thanks! I'm going to focus on getting ahead on work for a few weeks so I can really ski hard at the end of the season.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

spwrozek posted:

3 more weeks until I can ski...

Snowing good in summit county though. Everyone else is going to have fun.

Broken ribs are poo poo awful. Speedy recovery.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is fine hardware I got in there now... Sets off metal detectors.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Boho was fuckin rad yesterday. 8” of perfect refresh snow since the system started dense and ended blower. My legs are shot today, going touring tomorrow, ski patrol senior medical test on Sunday during a blizzard, and planning to skip work again Monday. All is right in the world.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

spwrozek posted:

I had my tibia screws on a necklace for a little while, mostly because it bothered my wife. Also they’re super fuckin expensive so might as well.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I was at the top of copper today from 10-3 and it was fun seeing how much lower visibility would get on each rendevous ride

Oh and I went through some light glades cuz the powder was incredible and made everything more manageable

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Spime Wrangler posted:

Boho was fuckin rad yesterday. 8” of perfect refresh snow since the system started dense and ended blower. My legs are shot today, going touring tomorrow, ski patrol senior medical test on Sunday during a blizzard, and planning to skip work again Monday. All is right in the world.

You have the same skis as a guy I rode next to today. Orange salomons?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Noice. Your shoulder looks like Kjetil Jansrud's hand now.

Moot . posted:

Broken ribs are poo poo awful. Speedy recovery.

Thanks!!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah broken ribs make absolutely any movement hurt. Condolences.

Today instead of skiing I got to spend three hours waiting for a broken train to get unfucked to get to Zermatt. Going to get expensively trashed when I finally reach the hotel.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah broken ribs make absolutely any movement hurt. Condolences.

Today instead of skiing I got to spend three hours waiting for a broken train to get unfucked to get to Zermatt. Going to get expensively trashed when I finally reach the hotel.

Thanks. Do a trip report on Zermatt, it sounds like it would be a super cool place to visit!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

KoRMaK posted:

You have the same skis as a guy I rode next to today. Orange salomons?

Yeah, the previous gen qst 106.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 424 days!
Big White got 42 cm over the last 24 hours. I think today is gonna be good

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

Yeah, the previous gen qst 106.

No sir, you got the orange Salomon's. 😋

When I saw the shot I thought, last year's QST 106, nice.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
My daughter is on the cusp of qualifying for northeast regionals (Gunstock) to represent the state in skiing but she has a sleepover at her best friends place before the last qualifying race of the season. If she misses the race, she will miss out on the points and won't qualify. I really want her to do the race, but I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat sports dad and I want her to have a normal social life so against my own instincts I'm letting her skip the last ski race of the year to spend time with friends. (The last race is a slalom race, her best event, too.)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 23, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If it makes you feel any better their results at that age literally do not matter at all.

I know one girl who has now quit ski racing and goes to university who used to say that one of the highlights of her life is being able to say that she used to beat a current member of Canada's national team back when they were both in U14.

I also know another one who is on track to at least do NCAA if not make the national team who came in dead last in her very first race, back in U14. She's now Canada's U19 GS champion.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m in Western NY and there’s consistently more people in the bar than on the slopes 🤔

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HookShot posted:

If it makes you feel any better their results at that age literally do not matter at all.

I know one girl who has now quit ski racing and goes to university who used to say that one of the highlights of her life is being able to say that she used to beat a current member of Canada's national team back when they were both in U14.

I also know another one who is on track to at least do NCAA if not make the national team who came in dead last in her very first race, back in U14. She's now Canada's U19 GS champion.
Thanks for the reassurance and the perspective e. I know that U12 results don't mean anything. I just want them to love skiing not hate it so my decisions are affected by that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the reassurance and the perspective e. I know that U12 results don't mean anything. I just want them to love skiing not hate it so my decisions are affected by that.

Yeah, letting her go to the sleepover is 100% the correct choice.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Found a really neat pillow-ish line yesterday after an unintended (5 ft) cliff drop. Was a highlight of the season kind of run despite the rest of the skiing being good but not particularly deep.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m in Western NY and there’s consistently more people in the bar than on the slopes 🤔

Can confirm this is the Aspen MO as well

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

This epic pass partnership is not working out for me.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot . posted:

This epic pass partnership is not working out for me.

How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Against all odds the Vail/Denver crowd made it down here and I had to wait ten minutes in a lift line today.