Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Does the Aurora have a bed or anywhere where I can sleep and make it from day to night?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wiltsghost posted:

How do you feel about spiders?

Cute! :3:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

dont mind spiders, jump scares are what get me. and vents.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Does this game get into actual scavenge-y Stalker type open world gameplay or were those comparisons bogus? I'm only up to the part at the church in the swamp (which I have no idea how to navigate) and it seems pretty hit and miss so far

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Throughout the series there are a few jump scares of the “open a door and get jumped on so mash a button” variety but for the most part it’s no scarier than your typical mutant-filled post-apoc FPS. Somewhat creepy environments, weird sounds, occasional ravenous pack of radiation mutants.

StabMasterArson posted:

Does this game get into actual scavenge-y Stalker type open world gameplay or were those comparisons bogus? I'm only up to the part at the church in the swamp (which I have no idea how to navigate) and it seems pretty hit and miss so far

Basically as soon as you get past the church. Unlike STALKER you’re confined to the one map per chapter but after the church you can basically go whenever you want whenever you want (in that map). The main missions will generally send you to a specific point which will have some points of interest scattered around it or on the way there so as long as you don’t just follow a straight line from one marker to the next you’ll have plenty of opportunity to see everything. One of the early main missions will also get you a pair of binoculars and show you how to find/mark those points on your map.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 23, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd say it's usually less outright scary, than it just has a creepy atmosphere ala Dark Souls or something. There's a jump scare here and there but they are pretty tame.

StabMasterArson posted:

Yes. it does. The swamp becomes pretty easy to navigate once you get familiar with it. Do the story and you'll get some binoculars that will mark points of interest on the map for you.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 23, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
this game also has an Aliens-esque motion detector you can use for that part if you find it

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly a few encounters with the mutant shrimp were the worst. gently caress those things.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So does the metal detector sound break for everyone else? The detection meter will still go up and down (even if it occasionally finds boxes I’ve already looted) but the sound has vanished.

Wiltsghost posted:

Honestly a few encounters with the mutant shrimp were the worst. gently caress those things.

The rowboat in the Volga is honestly one of the most annoying things I’ve ever done in a game. It was just slightly too slow, slightly too cumbersome to turn, and slightly too small to dodge their spit attacks when on the water.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 23, 2019

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Alright thanks, I'll keep trying it. Any tips for navigating this swamp? I just fall in the water and artyom coughs a lot

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

Alright thanks, I'll keep trying it. Any tips for navigating this swamp? I just fall in the water and artyom coughs a lot

If your character is coughing and gasping you’re in an area you need to put your mask on. The water you can safely walk in will have a layer of mud or gross swamp film on top of it. Everything else needs a boat to cross.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

If your character is coughing and gasping you’re in an area you need to put your mask on. The water you can safely walk in will have a layer of mud or gross swamp film on top of it. Everything else needs a boat to cross.

I just mean he's choking on the swamp water or whatever cos it's really hard to tell what's deep or not

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

StabMasterArson posted:

There's boats all over the place and some makeshift bridges. Stop trying to make Artyom swim you are torturing him.

Kibayasu posted:

So does the metal detector sound break for everyone else? The detection meter will still go up and down (even if it occasionally finds boxes I’ve already looted) but the sound has vanished.

The rowboat in the Volga is honestly one of the most annoying things I’ve ever done in a game. It was just slightly too slow, slightly too cumbersome to turn, and slightly too small to dodge their spit attacks when on the water.

It works fine for me but you aren't the first person to say that. Honestly I got rid of it anyways cause it was annoying and moderatly useful at best.

I liked the boats but I used them very sparingly and only when I needed them. Agreed the shrimp are super annoying though. They really shouldn't have that ranged attack. It's corny and impossible to avoid. I like when they randomly jump on your boat though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 23, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I've had good luck with just rowing like crazy and serpentining to avoid the shots. Don't kill them if you can avoid it, it's a waste of ammo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

I just mean he's choking on the swamp water or whatever cos it's really hard to tell what's deep or not

Reeds, mud, and/or film = safe to walk

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The shrimp only take one shot to kill though so it isn't that bad. In Volga keep in mind that you can walk on the areas that look icy. All or nearly all of the islands have some kind of land bridge that way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't kill them if you can avoid it, it's a waste of ammo.

This pretty much applies to everything in Volga, at least for the first few hours before you've scavenged a ton of poo poo.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

This pretty much applies to everything in Volga, at least for the first few hours before you've scavenged a ton of poo poo.

Killing bandits is often worth it, you can strip their weapons for more scrap then you spent on the bullet.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't kill them if you can avoid it, it's a waste of ammo.

Killing things is what ammo is for, therefore it's not a waste. :smug:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Lone Badger posted:

Killing bandits is often worth it, you can strip their weapons for more scrap then you spent on the bullet.

Yeah, sorry I meant to say monsters but forgot to specify that. Kill all the bandits and take their poo poo.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The second area is kind of annoying in terms of what enemies you should/shouldn't kill. Why does the game give me bad boy points for killing the thugs that are trying to kill Gail? There were 2 instances where the game gave me the negative karma music sting after a combat encounter and I really didn't understand why. They're all slaving despot bandits so why differentiate between "they're all bad guys" and "oh no this group of bad guys were less bad than the other.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Did you happen to kill the wounded slaves in front of the lighthouse? I was wondering about the “good” noise I got there as well.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I didn't even notice that. Maybe I accidentally shot something that was wounded on the ground and I mistook it for just a regular bad guy? But there was absolutely no differentiating the two with a regular reflex sight AK while being shot at.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

God Miller is thick

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
stupid question, is the morality system better in exodus than it was in last light, because last lights was kinda of mixed bag.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I didn't even notice that. Maybe I accidentally shot something that was wounded on the ground and I mistook it for just a regular bad guy? But there was absolutely no differentiating the two with a regular reflex sight AK while being shot at.

There's thugs and tribals, who are slaves brainwashed to fight. When you go down into the cavern at the first part there's a tribal trying to save his master; if you shoot at him (since he has a gun), it'll set off a gas deposit and kill him.)

Generally if they're wearing armor they're a thug, if they aren't they're a tribal/slave.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I heard they copied far cry to make this game, how true is that?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol you heard wrong.

Anyways, on the final Caspian mission the sniper lady asks you not to kill slaves. Does that include the the armed guards in the basement that talk like the slaves do?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Lol you heard wrong.

Anyways, on the final Caspian mission the sniper lady asks you not to kill slaves. Does that include the the armed guards in the basement that talk like the slaves do?

If you're talking about the fortress area you can ghost through it without having to engage much more than a handful of people.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Kibayasu posted:

Unless I completely missed it, there doesn't seem to be a way to compel Artyom into rowing faster (like the equivalent of sprinting on land) so he could avoid those goddamned shrimp. He paddles like he's rented the boat for the afternoon and doesn't have a care in the world--but there's goddamned SHRIMP, Artyom! Paddle! You're getting murdered by SHRIMP SPIT, Artyom! Maybe move with a purpose?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does the Shambler do less damage per shot than the Ashot, or is it the same?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A shot does almost twice as much damage per shot. Shambler sucks

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Unless I completely missed it, there doesn't seem to be a way to compel Artyom into rowing faster (like the equivalent of sprinting on land) so he could avoid those goddamned shrimp. He paddles like he's rented the boat for the afternoon and doesn't have a care in the world--but there's goddamned SHRIMP, Artyom! Paddle! You're getting murdered by SHRIMP SPIT, Artyom! Maybe move with a purpose?

If you move straight ahead without trying to turn you will get up to a speed that lets you dodge the spit but honestly there is zero reason to use a boat outside of the beginning in the church, if you explore enough everything is all connected together by land bridges you can just walk except the two tiny islands in the middle which are a six second boat ride by themselves. Mutants are just as susceptible to thrown cans as well if there are shrimp between you and objective toss a can at them and put them down when they investigate.

Also for people struggling on the "who can I kill." dilemma in the desert especially at the light house the slave carrying his master needs to be given a nap and ANYONE laying on the ground in the midst of dying doesn't need your help to die faster leave them alone. Giul shoots 3 of the tribal slaves in the lighthouse fight you cannot finish off they will bleed out of their own accord.

Anyone in the world itself not part of that fight with a weapon is literally fair game and won't penalize your morality for putting them in the dirt.

The bear boss fight can be skipped, you just go up the ladder and leave it be, but it is a nod to Lastlight where there was a more compelling bear boss fight, or just murder the bear later by luring it into a charge at the edge of a cliff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

A shot does almost twice as much damage per shot. Shambler sucks

Mine is belt fed, overwhelming fire > per shot damage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't think of a single reason to use the shambler ever. It is just utter trash compared to the Ashot.

The Shambler and the minigun are just comically bad.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Re: spiders as you'd expect, flame capsules for the Tihar absolutely wreck them

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

The Lone Badger posted:

Re: spiders as you'd expect, flame capsules for the Tihar absolutely wreck them

This applies to demons, all tunnel trash and human enemies as well.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

So I just got an upgrade for NVG that I don't have and can't get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Bought this last night on PS4 and absolutely love *most* of it. It looks gorgeous, the setting's really well done and I really like the attention to detail. There's hefty does of jank and then guns have a weird, total lack of recoil which makes them feel a bit goofy, but it's not bad enough to put me off.

But the input lag is horrendous - firing, aiming and turning have at least half a second delay for me, and makes aiming totally impossible. Is there a decent chance it will get fixed?