Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I’m the dude who doesn’t know they are supposed to walk out because the audio is hosed in spite of this being like the 18th time Eddie has done this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butros
Aug 2, 2007

Double post so I’m also the unsilenced phone ringtone in the announcers booth

butros fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 23, 2019

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

Terrible production so far :(

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TKO!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Holy poo poo that GNP!!!! Brandon Morreno on his way to the EBI bantamweight qualifier finals.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

drat this dude who just got the RNC is pretty good.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

The answer is probably no, but is there a general 'road map' to BJJ, at least for a white belt?

There are a bunch of positions, they fit into a hierarchy. Work your way from bad positions to neutral positions to good positions:

Bad positions: escape at all costs
Bottom of mount
Bottom of side control
Back taken

Neutral positions: sweep or submit, ideally sweep
Closed guard,
Half guard
Other guards

Good positions: work towards submissions while maintaining your position
Mount
Side Control
Back Control

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lol gently caress Kevin Casey

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Advice please: need to lose 1kg for competition tomorrow. Any help?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

When are weigh-ins, and when do you compete?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Before 12, I'll complete at 1pm.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

Before 12, I'll complete at 1pm.

Sauna? Sour skittles and a spit bucket? Your options are somewhat limited due to the small amount of time between weigh ins and competing. You don't want to kill yourself to make weight.

Have you cut weight in a sauna before?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Planning a sauna tonight yes. Never cut in a sauna no.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh, I don't really want to / care about putting weight back on for the match. Happy to compete at the weight, just need to get there first. Thanks for advice.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

Oh, I don't really want to / care about putting weight back on for the match. Happy to compete at the weight, just need to get there first. Thanks for advice.

Cutting weight in a sauna sucks. Stay safe.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

pee / poo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spit buckets and sauna are the best method. If no sauna lock yourself in a bathroom with a hot shower running while a towel blocks the bottom of the door and you qear sweats and do calisthenics.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I prefer epsom salt bath followed by a sweat suit (i.e. taping garbage bags to my body underneath two layers of sweatters) while doing moderate intensity physical activity.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
1 kg is nothing. You can just fast and avoid water to dehydrate 1 kg overnight. Just have gatorade/pedialyte and energy gels available for post weigh in. Generally you don't need to do the crazy sauna, vinyl suits and Epsom salt baths unless you are cutting way more.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cheers guys. Been losing kgs through the week, 1 more to go for tomorrow. Had fruit and a little pasta today, it's 5pm, I've eaten my last and will only drink a little, in the sauna. Thanks again.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
This is going to sound weird but would people be interested in having a voice chat/teleconference where I could answer BJJ questions for an hour or so. It's so much easier than typing stuff up and you can ask stuff which comes to mind on the fly. I'm not the greatest BJJ mind but I have been doing this for a while.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Yuns on Twitch!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sounds brilliant

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Every time I've cut weight for a competition I've gone in feeling lean and mean, then gas out almost immediately. Good luck, I hope you are better at it than I am.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
whats the highest weight class possible

I would rather get fat and never have to worry about making weight ever than have to worry about cutting down

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would rather get fat and never have to worry about making weight ever than have to worry about cutting down

subscribe to my vlog and find out. join me on my fitness journey

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

265+ I believe for IBJJF. There are so rotund gentlemen at that weight.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Google hangouts with Yuns!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'd be into a yunscast or discord or something. Save logs or whatever for the people in different time zones.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you didnt think body fat percentage matters, this is the weight class thatll make you see different. Ultraheavy is such a miserable weight class. Youre either fighting the stay puft marshmellow man or a 6'5 adonis of pure muscle

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I will become a marshmallow of destruction

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I have at times bore witness to the power of fat guy bjj

Once rolled with a dude so big I got him in mount and couldn't get my knees to the ground.

Had to hold the mount with active toes

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have at times bore witness to the power of fat guy bjj

Once rolled with a dude so big I got him in mount and couldn't get my knees to the ground.

Had to hold the mount with active toes

Like riding a drat mule.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Got my blue belt today. Pretty surprised, I didn't think I was doing very well at all especially with the injuries I got back in September, but he said he thought me getting hurt made me develop a game not based around just being bigger and stronger than other people.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

L0cke17 posted:

Got my blue belt today. Pretty surprised, I didn't think I was doing very well at all especially with the injuries I got back in September, but he said he thought me getting hurt made me develop a game not based around just being bigger and stronger than other people.

Mummy face

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Grats on the blue! On my way to see my first live jitsu competition now! I'm a low blue. Stitching my SAGK+RKFS patches tommorow . Knees on left knee or left shoulder?

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Any other Minnesota in here?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

Congrats!!!!

and

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

L0cke17 posted:

Congrats!!